The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
LiviCub
EdinburghLivi
Durnford
Liviforever
Afro
forzalfc
livi96
Contemporary
Lexi Collector
ianlivi
Lividihard
15 posters

#BringBackDeclan

Liviforever
    Liviforever

#BringBackDeclan - Page 2 Empty Re: #BringBackDeclan

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:Good news, a player who is probably worth a good 4-6 points alone. No more signings though please.

Meant to be another one coming in still, would imagine it is Hugo Faria.

Wonder if Ford is aiming for a top 4 spot, with the size and quality of our squad we wont be far away from getting there, risky strategy though.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Sounds a bit old-firmisk but it also keeps him away from Falkirk
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:29 pm

forzalfc wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:No more signings though please.

Exactly this.  Got a solid squad now (even 1 or 2 too many) and with no reserves we'll have players getting no match action at all over the season.

Think I read we'd be playing friendly type games to keep up the match fitness of reserve players. Once winter comes we'll be using the players on the fringes, that's when injuries and suspensions tell on teams.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:Good news, a player who is probably worth a good 4-6 points alone. No more signings though please.

Wonder if Ford is aiming for a top 4 spot, with the size and quality of our squad we wont be far away from getting there, risky strategy though.

Yeah I've just mentioned this on the transfer rumour thread, we must be pushing for promotion at this rate and with a squad as big as ours, finishing below 4th would be a failure. I'd be happy with 8th and a smaller squad, but what do I know?

We don't need Hugo Faria. We don't need guys like Moses Duckrell or Gary Glen either.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Durnford wrote:Sounds a bit old-firmisk but it also keeps him away from Falkirk

I'd have been gutted if he had gone there, bad enough seeing Beany playing against us for QoS but Falkirk, doesn't bear thinking about.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:

Yeah I've just mentioned this on the transfer rumour thread, we must be pushing for promotion at this rate and with a squad as big as ours, finishing below 4th would be a failure. I'd be happy with 8th and a smaller squad, but what do I know?

We don't need Hugo Faria. We don't need guys like Moses Duckrell or Gary Glen either.

Dunno I think Faria gives us some bulk in midfield, but Cole would also give us the same thing.

Could prob have done without Glen and Sives, Duckrell looked useful in the short time I saw him, a bit of the Griffiths/Beany/McNulty about him, will roast defenders with his directness and pace. Will be a good impact sub to have for the last 15 mins or so.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Good grief! We have a big squad, we must be good for a top 4 place??? Where is it written that a big squad = success??? We scrape thru a cup tie against a side from 2 divisions below us and re-sign an admittedly very good defender and all of a sudden we are challenging for the play offs to go up???

Come on guys, keep your expectations at a realistic level, the team doesn't need the extra pressure of overblown expectations. They may well have set a high goals for themselves but if we start demanding that because we have a big squad anything less than 4th is failure then they are under more pressure than they need to be.

Great to see big Dec back tho.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Good grief! We have a big squad, we must be good for a top 4 place??? Where is it written that a big squad = success???  We scrape thru a cup tie against a side from 2 divisions below us and re-sign an admittedly very good defender and all of a sudden we are challenging for the play offs to go up???

Come on guys, keep your expectations at a realistic level, the team doesn't need the extra pressure of overblown expectations. They may well have set a high goals for themselves but if we start demanding that because we have a big squad anything less than 4th is failure then they are under more pressure than they need to be.

Great to see big Dec back tho.

You are misreading what is being said Berte, although my expectation this season is a lot higher than yours as I was looking at 5th or 6th, it is the clubs expectation we're talking about with having such a big squad, otherwise it is even crazier bringing in so many players and only thinking we should scrape by at 8th, we could do that on a lot smaller budget squad wise surely!

Only makes any financial sense to aim for breaking even when you're just in the door running a club that has director loans coming out its ears, you certainly shouldn't be looking to add to the debt with 5 or 6 players more than you need to scrape by (esp at the expense of paying an agreement to McDougall). The squad we've got must need us to aim for at least 5th place or I doubt we'll stay out of trouble.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:23 am

Read Lexi's post on the other thread....reads very much like he is expecting top 4 simply because of squad size, which is no guarantee; Ford has already said he wants as strong a squad as he can get as he expects success on the park to breed success off the park.

I think he might be somewhat naïve in that but we can only see what happens. Lets face it, if we are going to disappear as a club we might as well disappear with a bang rather than a whimper.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:28 am

I don't think we will get top 4 tbh, but if you've got a squad the size of ours with some very talented Championship players then you should be aiming for it. Giving everything that's been said in the press and Burchill's desire to add to the squad, I can only imagine we are indeed targeting that 4th spot.
    sunderland

Post by sunderland Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:18 am

Lexi Collector wrote:I don't think we will get top 4 tbh, but if you've got a squad the size of ours with some very talented Championship players then you should be aiming for it. Giving everything that's been said in the press and Burchill's desire to add to the squad, I can only imagine we are indeed targeting that 4th spot.

No doubt about it, this squad is going for play-offs. A terrible idea IMO. but if we finish any less than 5th it will have been a massive disappointment. I truly think we can survive another season, but if we don't get top 4, we are done. Atleast for the first time in 10 or so years I am confident about the defence.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 am

Liviforever wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:

Dunno I think Faria gives us some bulk in midfield, but Cole would also give us the same thing.

Could prob have done without Glen and Sives, Duckrell looked useful in the short time I saw him, a bit of the Griffiths/Beany/McNulty about him, will roast defenders with his directness and pace. Will be a good impact sub to have for the last 15 mins or so.
    I feel we do need Hugo in midfield as he is a solid centre midfielder with experience. Cole is really a defender being given the opportunity to play in midfield and it appears that Cole is injury prone too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:I don't think we will get top 4 tbh, but if you've got a squad the size of ours with some very talented Championship players then you should be aiming for it. Giving everything that's been said in the press and Burchill's desire to add to the squad, I can only imagine we are indeed targeting that 4th spot.

Everybody talks up their chances at the start of the season; if they don't they are not worthy of the job.

I am very impressed by the way Burchy has put the squad together at such short notice but as it is a pretty well new team & most definitely a new era with no Jacobs boys in the squad, I think we fans ought to avoid placing undue pressure on what is a pretty inexperienced squad (I know DJ has a few seasons behind him now & we have Gordon, Gallagher & Buchanan in the squad but the rest are still pretty raw with a lot of potential). Give them all the chance to perform & don't expect miracles. If they gel as a team & develop together, we might just have a season to remember rather than a month & a half to remember (like last season).
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:01 pm

I have a feeling we might do quite well on the basis that teams might underestimate us.

A lot of teams that have made fairly average additions in the group above us, it will depend whether they can carry consistency from the previous season.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm

Feels a bit like when they underestimated us in the SPL saying we'd be relegated, there's a good feel about this team but because we were down in the relegation scrap last season they all think we'll be down there again this season. We've 3 of the top goal scorers in our team from last season in the BMW machine, and have two of the best defenders in the league too, that's a good foundation to build from.

On the DG carry on, heard STV are stirring it up, apparently had us on their news with some shit stirring reporter asking randoms up by the centre what they think about Livi signing a player who has bashed someone over the head with a baseball bat. Most folk in Livingston wont even know who Declan Gallagher is let alone the character of the guy while he's been at Livi, or anything about the incident over a year ago.

Prob the same guy Pedro mentioned from STV that McDougall was talking to and the same guy that helped Massone spread his lies to the fans.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:17 pm

Liviforever wrote:Feels a bit like when they underestimated us in the SPL saying we'd be relegated, there's a good feel about this team but because we were down in the relegation scrap last season they all think we'll be down there again this season. We've 3 of the top goal scorers in our team from last season in the BMW machine, and have two of the best defenders in the league too, that's a good foundation to build from.

On the DG carry on, heard STV are stirring it up, apparently had us on their news with some shit stirring reporter asking randoms up by the centre what they think about Livi signing a player who has bashed someone over the head with a baseball bat. Most folk in Livingston wont even know who Declan Gallagher is let alone the character of the guy while he's been at Livi, or anything about the incident over a year ago.

Prob the same guy Pedro mentioned from STV that McDougall was talking to and the same guy that helped Massone spread his lies to the fans.
    shit stirrers is too good a term for these low life reporters.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:19 pm

The guy reporting was an older guy, not Grant Russell. That said, the interviews outside the centre were just embarrassingly poor journalism.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/livingston/1325606-livingston-re-sign-declan-gallagher-ahead-of-three-year-jail-term-appeal/
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Regarding the team I totally agree with LF in that we have some very good experienced centre backs and also experienced centre forwards with over 1000 first team appearances between them ,also each individual player below has at least 130 appearances as follows
    Sives 171
    Gallagher 130
    Gordon 238
    Buchanan 369
    White 190

So at the core back and front we have loads of experience, where we are lacking is in centre midfield, which is why I would have loved Hugo Faria to be signed as he has 329 first team appearances which brings its own experience to critical area of the pitch.

Contemporary
    Contemporary

Post by Contemporary Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm

EdinburghLivi wrote:The guy reporting was an older guy, not Grant Russell. That said, the interviews outside the centre were just embarrassingly poor journalism.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/livingston/1325606-livingston-re-sign-declan-gallagher-ahead-of-three-year-jail-term-appeal/

All of that was just dreadful. This is meant to be news from a national broadcaster FFS.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 pm

STV can be added to the list of despicable mutants in this country. Shocking.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Fair play to the folk being interviewed though, basically telling the shit stirring rat to fucking do one.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah he didn't get the response he was looking for, nobody went into mock outrage like the wallopers on P&B.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 pm

I didn't realise Ben Gordon was suspended for the first two games?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Big man had a solid game today, looks fit enough to start if Gordon is suspended.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Liked his celebration towards the Clyde fans after we scored.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm