The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Contemporary
spiggle
LiviLion
sunderland
LiviCub
Liviforever
Achilles
EdinburghLivi
12 posters

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 Amber Machine advent calendar

Post by Auld Nick Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Yep, Wilson was my favourite Scots lad to play here & Brinquin was my favourite right back.
    Two more crackers in the calendar. The back four you mentioned also had Santini as the alternate left back when Bollan was injured/suspended & he was a decent lad too.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 Amber Machine advent calendar

Post by Liviforever Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:37 pm

I took a wee while to warm to Santini, think he scored an OG at Killie in his first game for us, fortunately we won something like 5-1 iirc, so was no harm done. Was injured in a home game and came back out for the 2nd half, which I found bizarre as he couldn't run without limping. Turned out a decent player though.

Loved Brinquin, was a difficult decision leaving him out of my 5 fave Livi players on the other thread. Had his own tune on the bugle played every game, French National Anthem.

Best moment ever was him jumping into the East stand full of OF fans (think it was Celtic but not positive) after hitting a young lad in the face with the ball just before HT.

The away crowd were all booing him as he came out the tunnel, he ran over and jumped the wall to go into the stand, they all hushed in shock wondering WTF!!!!!! He's coming in to have a go at us.......................................then he presents a signed football shirt to the youngster and gets a huge applause from their fans as he goes back onto the pitch. Was FAF to see, top lad.

Barry Wilson is just class, shame the idiot Brazilian manager forced him to leave because he wouldn't play wingers.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 am

That picture of Brinquin has Twitter header potential, great find Lexi.

Can I request the fearless leader, please? One Jason Talbot.

sunderland

Post by sunderland Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Great thread. I'd take De Vita, O'brien and maybe Roddy McKenzie. I absolutely loved a bit of Robbie Winters too, can't beat a classy older journeyman.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 pm

EL, Sunderland and LiviCub, your requests have been noted. Anyway, today is the 7th and sticking with the recent inaugural SPL season, behind todays window we have...

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 _38166883_xausaceleb300

Oh yes, another one of my all time favourites, its Davide Xausa. I used to really like Davide Xausa when I was a kid because I thought he looked really cool and he had a cool name as well. Xausa scored 17 times for Livi in just over 70 games, and played in the classic 'shadow striker' role. He signed for us in January 2001, and left in 2003. Livi showed their intent with this signing, after the Canadian turned down Aberdeen to sign for us. Xausa also scored one of our 4 goals in our 4-3 win over Sturm Graz in 2002, and enjoyed a decent return in his first full season with Livi scoring 7 times in 30 games. As his time with progressed his opportunities became limited and he left for Falkirk halfway through the 2003/04 season. As well as playing for St Johnstone and Inverness he was also a Canadian international throughout his time with Livi, scoring twice for the national team.

Xausa, to me, will be remembered for the partnership he formed with David Fernandez during the 2001/02 season which contributed largely to our success. A striker with good link-up play and a great finish too - a good addition to the calendar.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Another ace player yep, great name too.

We were spoiled rotten with talent back in the day. No8 Stevie Toshtastic was another during that era, scored some belting goals and got tore in about players in midfield. Didn't half slag the sheep after we tore them a new one too which was great wumming. Should've waited till after we played them that weekend though as he annoyed them that much with his comments they were really fired up to draw 2-2 with us. Prob had his words pinned up on their dressingroom wall before they came out to play us. Smile
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Oh Canada.... One of the best national anthems and the people are just so hospitable...mind you I've got to say that, my missus is one!

Xausa showed what he could do when he got a run in the side, would have liked for him to have scored more but IIRC we had a few players that notched around 7 goals that season.

Must admit when we signed Tosh along with Marv and Burns it had been the latter 2 that caught my eye during the thrashing that Raith gave us; Burns never quite lived up top his performance that day but Tosh and Marv exceeded expectations
    Achilles
    Achilles

Post by Achilles Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Davide Xausa is a livi legend. His goals against Dunfermline to put us into the UEFA Cup will never be forgotten.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:20 pm

Just a quick one for the 8th December unfortunately as I'm a very busy man and have places to be this evening, so its in somewhat of a rush I reveal to you behind the 8th window is...

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 _1742631_brianmcphee300

...Brian McPhee! I don't think he ever appeared for us in the SPL, but he certainly played a major role in getting us there. McPhee (I think his nickname was bumble bee?) signed for us in the summer of 1998, and helped us win the 2nd and 1st division titles. He played over 90 times and scored 31 goals, the majority of them in the 2nd Division, but also chipped in with a few big goals in our SPL promotion season too. McPhee offered face and strength as well as goals, but his character and personality is what many Livi fans will remember him for. Very much a guy who had a lot of time for the supporters. When we were promoted to the SPL he wasn't receiving much game time, and rumour has it he handed in a transfer request after the league season had begun - if true it says a lot about his on-field attitude and desire to play. Overall, a good guy and someone who played a key role in getting us to the SPL.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:06 pm

The Bee, yep nice guy.

When the club had an open day and fans were allowed inside the stadium to wander around, some young players disappeared into the dressing room when they saw the fans, but he came over to talk to us and pose for pics with my young daughter and her friend.

Became a fireman and played PT, think he was over in Africa helping to get water supplied to villages too quite recently.

Some guy.

LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Was still playing a couple of years ago in the Juniors. No idea if he still plays but does quite a bit of charity work.

Top guy.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:13 pm

I didn't really see the best of him but he always put in a shift when I did see him play,,,seemed to play with a smile on his face too.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Absolutely shattered tonight so our player for the 9th will be a quick one, but it's a real blast from the past...

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 Aa18e16a

It's Paul Deas! Another player who was key to our success in the late 90s/early 00s, Deas signed from Stirling Albion in 1998 and was with us until our promotion in 2001. Deas was one of our star players in our 1-0 Scottish Cup win at Aberdeen in March 2001 with a goal-line clearance and several important tackles. Despite playing as a defender, manager Jim Leishman described him as 'like Cantona' after a 40 yard goal against Inverness at Almondvale in 2000. Deas is most memorable for this goal, as it was without a doubt one of the best goals to have been scored by a Livi player.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:11 am

Another excellent choice Lexi, i'll never forget that goal, Jorg Albertz eat your heart out.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Anyway, 10th of December, lets see who it is...

2015 Amber Machine advent calendar - Page 2 _1051878_davidbinghamceleb300

We have David Bingham. Bingo played for Livi from 1998 til 2003 and in this time he scored 66 goals in 182 games, thus holding the record for the most goals ever scored by a Livi player. His all-time appearance record was surpassed by a man who will feature later in the month in the advent calendar. Bingham was a key member of the 2nd and 1st division winning sides, and also played a key role in our side during the first 2 seasons in the Premier League. A lot of Livi fans say he's our best ever player, and whilst his achievements for Livingston were phenomenal, he didn't quite have the skill of guys like Quino and Fernandez. Having said that, the records he holds and held undoubtedly make him a club legend and one that'll never be forgotten. A player who simply couldn't be left out. Fun fact: I once convinced a Welsh mate of mine who was really into the Scheme that Marvin was actually David Bingham and that after he retired from football he just lost it and turned into an absolute jake. I showed him a picture of him in a Livi top and one of Marvin from the present day and he totally bought it. I never revealed to him that I was only taking the pish.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 pm

I remember Deas as a steady but reliable left back. Used to frustrate me as he got a nose bleed if he went more than 10 yards into the opposition half. For that reason I preferred Derek Fleming.

Bingham is undoubtedly a club legend and while 66 goals isn't really a huge amount it is unlikely to be bettered any time soon as players don't stay long enough to do so, which is a pity.

Also shows that we have lacked a 20 goals a season man for some time. Especially one that would stick around for 4 or 5 years.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:36 pm

For what its worth in my opinion the reason why so many Livi fans rate David Bingham as their all time greatest player is that if you were privelaged enough to have seen him you would realise that when Bingo ticked Livi ticked.Was said at the time he was a class above where he was plying his trade.Surprised he didnt move to a bigger club.That said,so greatfull for the undoubted sevice he gave to the club both on and off the pitch.The word legend gets banded about a lot these days.As far as im concerend it applies to this gentleman without a shadow of a dout.Thanks for the memories Bingo.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Wouldn't say he never had the skill of Fernandez or Quino, in his prime he was as good as any player we've had, by the time they came along Bingo was on the decline, but still a classy player. Took a step down to come to Livi but gambled well on us being on the up and would take him into the top flight. Was a class above any player in the lower leagues that's for sure.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:53 am

Was Iain Russell not very close to 66 goals for the club? Definitely got 50.

Just checked, 51 in 101 games. Phenomenal record.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:04 am

Still can't believe we got rid of him and Andreu.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Liviforever wrote:Still can't believe we got rid of him and Andreu.

If we had kept most of the players that had left at the end of that season, we would've made a serious challenge for the league with the likes of Andreu, Garcia Tena and Russell.
    spiggle
    spiggle

Post by spiggle Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 pm

LiviCub wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Still can't believe we got rid of him and Andreu.

If we had kept most of the players that had left at the end of that season, we would've made a serious challenge for the league with the likes of Andreu, Garcia Tena and Russell.

We couldn't afford them.

We got rid of most of these players because their wages were too high.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 pm

False economy imo, we'd have got a lot more money keeping them, higher league ranking would've meant a larger pay out (esp with the increased money with the league reconstruction) and Andreu would've made us money selling him on, seriously doubt we saved more than we'd have made keeping them.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:48 pm

I dunno Qunio & Co. were strutting their stuff in the SPL at a time when it was a half decent league. Bingham was fantastic as well, but his prime came in the lower divisions.

As for releasing Iain Russell, his replacement was Andy Barrowman - can't see much cost cutting going on there.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Maybe not much cost but quite a sizeable drop in talent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm