The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Smithy
Troy
Afro
LiviLion
LiviCub
Just in
Liviforever
11 posters

Alloa v Livi

EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Alloa v Livi - Page 2 Empty Re: Alloa v Livi

Post by EdinburghLivi Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Line up like today, if possible, and with a fans backing we could get some points on the board. The Morton game will be tough but I think the evening kick-off works in our favour atmosphere wise (i.e. there will be none, rather than the fan's being on the player's backs). St. Mirren and Dumbarton are games we should definitely be looking to win as they are both toilet.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Pleasing win and fair play to Hopkin for starting White and Mullen who clearly have an understanding. Telfer, Gordon and Fotheringham were a cut above the rest too.

I don't think we'll finish 8th but we need to give it a go. The worst case scenario, we hopefully have no fear when it comes to playing teams similar to us i.e. Albion, Ayr.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:20 pm

LiviCub wrote:Pleasing win and fair play to Hopkin for starting White and Mullen who clearly have an understanding. Telfer, Gordon and Fotheringham were a cut above the rest too.

I don't think we'll finish 8th but we need to give it a go. The worst case scenario, we hopefully have no fear when it comes to playing teams similar to us i.e. Albion, Ayr.
    White and Mullen works did last year, and can again this year given a run of games.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Yep can't argue with the line up when we won 3-1 going on 6-0.

Another crap goal to lose from nothing with it starting in midfield when Cole had 2 chances to knock the ball out but let it bounce and it spun away from him, still far enough out that we should've defended it but McCallum's failure to push the ball away out of his box allowed them an easy tap in, pissed off with us gifting goals when we aren't even looking like conceding any.

Cracking midfield and wing play from Kakay and Longridge, Telfer and Stanton were outstanding too, plenty pace in the team with those 4. Kakay at RM and Longridge at the LB got us up the wings, Telfer caused them all sorts of problems on the wings too, nippy wee fecker who never gives up.

Big White was being supplied with plenty service for a change and did work well with Mullen. Best move of the game was our 3rd goal, Telfer on the wing cut it back to Mullen on the edge of the box, Mullen knocks it across for Stanton to knock into the net, superb stuff.

The subs actually weakened the team as all the players being subbed had played well but we saw out the game comfortably. Buchanan was too desperate to score and that prob worked against him, went round the keeper and had an empty goal but he pushed it too wide and couldn't get on the ball until defenders had got back and the chance was gone, he had another couple of decent efforts but didn't happen for him.

Hopefully Hopkin will give this starting line up a chance again against Morton, wouldn't have been my choice of a front 2 but they looked good in this game so see no reason to change anything.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Fair play to you LF admitting that the front two wasn't your choice but felt it worked.

I thought they should be given s chance together because for some reason Mullen creates space for White and as someone else says they have an understanding having played numerous games together.

The team had a good balance to it and to be fair to Cole the plastic pitch with its strange bounces caught him for the goal which you quite rightly say the keeper should have done better.

However this was a very good performance and if hadn't lost the stupid goal last week at Raith then we may all be feeling better tonight.

4 points out of the next two games, so in reality would take a draw with Morton and we need to beat Dumbarton.

Enjoy the night guys as these nights when we win are a bit of rarity
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Couldn't believe how narrow that pitch was. Throw ins were as good as corners. It seemed to work better for us than Alloa today.
    Just in

Post by Just in Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Solid performance from all, well done. Hopefully Hopkin has had a "Sir Alex" moment.
    fanfromday1
    fanfromday1

Post by fanfromday1 Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Great to get a win and a very important one at that against what was really a very poor Alloa side.

The difference today IMO was that the defence was pretty sound for more or less the whole game with just the one momentary lapse by McAllum to gift them the usual livi Santa Clause goal.

We could have added to that total by a few goals if we had been more lethal up front and that is where the major problem arises.

Buchanan came off the bench for Mullen who for me still struggles at this level. However Buchs's finishing is pretty woeful at the moment and he really needs to sharpen up, he's capable of a lot more than what he's providing at the moment.

As for Jordan, put in a good shift but as one fan said today he looks the smallest big guy on the park when he jumps.

Anyhoo, 3 points is 3 points so let's get behind the team on Tuesday. Nice touch from the players led by Fozzie to come over and applaud the fans. What a difference from last week.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:18 pm

What a load of pish on here and at the ground about White and his jumping. He won loads of headers today and had an excellent game.Mullen also played well, jeez we had two strikers who played well together and yet we get people moaning. WTF is wrong with some people.
    fanfromday1
    fanfromday1

Post by fanfromday1 Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Smithy wrote:What a load of pish on here and at the ground about White and his jumping. He won loads of headers today and had an excellent game.Mullen also played well, jeez we had two strikers who played well together and yet we get people moaning. WTF is wrong with some people.

Its called opinions. That's what makes this board interesting, I disagree with you and you disagree with me. BUT we all support Livi. have a nice evening/day.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Worst performance on the pitch was Charleston with his desperation to give fouls to Alloa, handing out cards to us and not giving Alloa cards for the exact same fouls on our players. The nearside linesman wasn't much better, clear Livi throw ins given to Alloa when the incompetent lino waited to see what Charleston was giving before sticking up his flag, when he was in a better position to see it was our throw in.

Just glad it wasn't a close game as them two were doing their best to get Alloa back in the game with the amount of dodgy fouls for them to lob into our box.

Expected Collum to be bad last week and he was ok, Charleston made up for it this week though, shocking ref.

On White, he's improved a lot this season and his not being able to jump or win headers isn't true. Half the time he's being fouled when he jumps but gets sod all from the ref. Case in point today when he got a dull one but was left to writhe in agony as the ref let play continue, 5 mins later an Alloa player goes down from a fair challenge and the ref pulls up play straight away to go over and see if he was ok, which he was and he got up. White was down for a good few minutes though and was ignored.

Big fella wins a lot of headers, hit the bar with one today too.

Last edited by Liviforever on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:28 pm

fanfromday1 wrote:
    Smithy wrote:What a load of pish on here and at the ground about White and his jumping. He won loads of headers today and had an excellent game.Mullen also played well, jeez we had two strikers who played well together and yet we get people moaning. WTF is wrong with some people.

Its called opinions. That's what makes this board interesting, I disagree with you and you disagree with me. BUT we all support Livi. have a nice evening/day.
    Yeah right mate
    We played well White and Mullen played well as a top two
    The team had balance
    We scored three goals
    Alloa were played off the park today ....and that's a quote from an Alloa fan....
    And you are moaning
    Jog on

Last edited by Smithy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:40 pm

White's always won the ball in the air, for some reason it's just one of those things people ignore.

Football fans in general only tend to pick up on the negatives and Jordan White is a good example of that. Could be having the game of his life and misjudge one header and have the same shouts aimed at him.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 pm

LiviLion wrote:White's always won the ball in the air, for some reason it's just one of those things people ignore.

Football fans in general only tend to pick up on the negatives and Jordan White is a good example of that. Could be having the game of his life and misjudge one header and have the same shouts aimed at him.
    agree with you mate
    He wins more than his fair share of balls in the air but just because he is 6 ft 4 it's assumed he should win every ball.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:36 pm

On White...we had a poll last season about him; I was undecided. I liked his work rate, I liked his control when he got the ball to his feet. I believed he was weak at headers for a big lad & thought his finishing should have been better...more consistent. (He always seemed to score in flurries rather than over a period of time). This season his positives are still there & his winning of headers has greatly improved but he is still scoring in flurries rather than consistently over a period of time.

I know a few of you have always thought he was good in the air but I disagree; he has however clearly worked on it & is better at it but still lacks accuracy in finding his man with the flick on.

There is a tendency for tall guys to be less impressive in the air than some small guys; Eric Black wasn't tall but was superb in the air. Dave McPherson was tall but barely left the ground when he jumped. I think it is psychological, the big guy thinks he will be able to win it in the air without having to try too hard to do it. White was like that last season but has improved that aspect of his game immensely.

Peter Crouch is another who isn't as good in the air as he should be given his height of 6'7" but he is now the EPL record holder for goals scored with his head; IMO though his record should be even better than it is & he shouldn't have had to resort to pulling the dreadlocks of that Jamaican defender in the World Cup a few years back to beat him in the air. White last season should have won more in the air than he did but this season is getting at least his fair share; its just a pity we rarely capitalise on it, which then skews the picture & makes some think that he is not doing well in the air...this season he is. His finishing can be explosive but needs to be more consistent & a few more headed goals would be good.

Back on topic in terms of the result....glad to hear that it wasn't just a good result but a good performance to get the result. The OCS twitter feed certainly suggested we dominated the match. Here's hoping we build on it & get the results the club needs & the team/squad get the performance level required to prove they are good enough to live comfortably in this division.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:37 pm

A very welcome and thoughraly deserved victory for the Lions yesterday.Agreed about Telfer a class above,although for me Kakay absolutely strolled through this game Wasnt surprised to see him get subbed late on after the shift he put in.Imo i think Alloas narrowing of their pitch actually worked against them as we seemed to adapt better to the conditions althogh some of the officiating by the men in black was absolutly mind numbing.Not getting carried away by this result but was nice for the players to at least give us something to be cheerfull about this weekend after all the recent dissapointments.Actually looking forward to the next couple of games at home albeit recognising how tough their gonna be.Hopefully the players can take confidence from yesterday into these.We always seem to do things the hard way and will probably do so again.We cant replicate last season,can we?.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Yeah Troy, I think we dealt with the narrow pitch well and managed to keep the ball in going down the narrow channel. Was actually surprised just how much the pitch was narrowed, looked miles away when we were sitting in that gazebo.
    Prob forced us to be more accurate with our passes, but certainly worked in our favour. Shows what we can do when we use the wings though, even in a narrow pitch against a team that like to play compact in defence we were ripping them to bits in the box when we played it in from the wings.

Key part for me was how we PLAYED it up the wings, not just the usual lumping it into a space, we actually passed it to players and they had support from other players.

Morton are another team we've struggled to break down, if we use Kakay, Telfer and Longridge on the wings again we should have a good chance against them. Same goes for Dumbarton.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:56 am

I think the Alloa fan on pie and bovril summed the game up

We were played off the park

Well done Livi, same again in Tuesday please
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 am

Not pretty on the eye but another successful tactic was getting the ball up to White and Mullen as quickly as possible. A lot of balls launched but the team must've known that their defence and midfield weren't as quick as our forward line.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:35 am

Went with what many believe is our best XI and we won, quelle surprise. Wasn't the best which we are capable of IMO, but it was effective. I like Mullen and White as a pairing and for whatever reason, it does seem to work, even if the pair of them don't look anything above average. Credit it where it's due, White done what all good strikers should do, anticipated the mistake from the centre half for his goal. I don't think anyone could argue that he hasn't improved aerially or physically this season, his hold up play and flick ons are night and day compared to last year, and obviously there's going to be room for improvement - if he was better he wouldn't be jobbing it with us at the bottom of the Scottish Championship.

Top marks to Telfer, too - great feet at times and it's clear to see he has a good footballing brain on him. Looked absolutely shagged by about the 80th minute, Dundee Utd fans did note his stamina was a bit of a problem, so I'd have been inclined to have brung him off as opposed to White and killed the game but heyho - we played them off the park IMO and that should just about be enough to see us away from bottom spot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 am