The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
LiviCub
Auld Nick
Liviforever
7 posters

Alloa v Livi

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Alloa v Livi Empty Alloa v Livi

Post by Liviforever Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

On Previous Livi v Alloa match results, and current league form guide, this has a Livi win written all over it.

I'll go with Livi getting our usual 3 goals against them, 3-1 Livi, fg 14 mins.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Alloa v Livi Empty Re: Alloa v Livi

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Still expect us to draw sooner rather than later...

AA 2 Liv 2

FG 23 mins
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:19 am

This just screams a slack performance from us.

1-0 Alloa. FG 54 mins.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:58 pm

2-0 Livi, FG 23 mins
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Kevin Graham is the referee for this game, last time he officiated one of our games we beat Stenny 4-0, could actually be an ok Referee then, fingers crossed.
    Or maybe not, on checking further back he was also in charge of our 1-0 away defeat to QP when Mullin scored a perfectly good goal that wasn't given for a wrong offside call, but that was more down to the Lino.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 pm

At least this week we will be playing on a level surface albeit being plastic and with a helluva slope as opposed to last week on our tattie feild.The momentum is certainly with us at the moment so i just hope Hoppy doesnt fanny about with his team selection.Ireckon this is last chance saloon for Alloa and thus expect them to be up for this but i feel if we apply ourselves and possibly get an early goal the end result could be a fore gone conclusion.I also hope that as already been said we take a sizable support to the Recs tommorow.Im personally taking five in my car sos no pre match refreshment for me but will make up for it tommorow night celebrating what i think is going to be a pivotal stage of this season.Cmon Livi make it happen!!!
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Liviforever wrote:Kevin Graham is the referee for this game, last time he officiated one of our games we beat Stenny 4-0, could actually be an ok Referee then, fingers crossed.
    Or maybe not, on checking further back he was also in charge of our 1-0 away defeat to QP when Mullin scored a perfectly good goal that wasn't given for a wrong offside call, but that was more down to the Lino.

Thought he was mediocre against Stenny, and that's being generous. Let them off with a blatant dangerous tackle which should've been a red card every day of the week.

Disappointed I can't make this one as we usually play pretty decent against Alloa at the Recs; same again, 3-1 Livi, FG 29 mins.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Still expect us to draw sooner rather than later...

AA 2 Liv 2

FG 23 mins

2 minutes out in the FG prediction but perfect prediction otherwise.

It would be interesting to read what you all thought of the performance.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:20 pm

A draw snatcged from the jaws of victory, 2 points thrown away. Danny was thorough on goal early on and hit it off their keeper's legs, then had another one on one that he missed before scoring a cracking goal with his head, the hardest one of his three chances in the first half. We looked far the better looking team but Kelly decided to give Alloa a chance with a goal of a start when he chucked the ball into his own net from a long range tame effort.

2nd half was the same, Livi playing the better football and Alloa lumping it up the pitch in hope more than anything else, Buch's scored a cracking goal from a nice cut back and we looked like we'd go on and get at least 3. Squandered a few chances though and the usual happens, Alloa put us under a wee spell of pressure and scored their equaliser. We still had the chance to win the game 3-2 when Mullin got onto a ball and did everything perfect until he took the wrong decision to have a shot from a tight angle when Todorov was standing unmarked for a tap in if he'd squared the ball to him.

Disappointing to only come away with 1 point when we played well and had the pointsalmost wrapped up, once I get over the disappointment of drawing a game we should've won i'll see that it wasn't too bad with us sitting 10 points clear of Airdrie but it is hard to take just now when we were sooooo closeto being 13 points clear.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:29 pm

On players performances, they all played well but special mention to Cadden, ran his arse off up the wings and tracking back to cover Lithgow* who tends to drop back into the box instead of covering the wide player. Shame to pick out Kelly but that was a monumental blunder giving them their goal when we were all over them and having to come from behind. Danny too, if he'd scored that early one on one I reckon we'd have went on to win comfortably, but he got us back in it again with his goal, hopefully now he's scored the goals will come more easily for him again.

Thought Todorov and Buchanan were starting to click with neat one-two's then Hopkin subbed Buch's, and Todorov seemed to be playing up front himself with nobody to lay the ball off to, so had to keep holding it up and then play it back the way. Maybe that was a mistake too, as we didn't look as threatening when Buch's went off. Looks a good signing though, would like to see either Buchanan or Mullen playing off Todorov from the start, reckon he's a cracking target man and they would thrive playing alongside him.

*It's really bugging me now that Longridge isn't getting a game, him and Cadden would've ripped Alloa apart doing overlaps but with Lithgow not going up the wing Cadden was having to do it all himself.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:12 am

Well we were the architects of our own misfortune today squandering chance after chance. I couldn't believe Kelly did it again with their first goal. If the lad is here to learn then he really shouldn't be making the same mistakes. Not a soul near him yet he catches a ball and then drops it into the net. Could he not have clutched it or parried it away. It had East Fife away written all over it. In fairness he made a couple of good saves at other times but then that's his job.

I really can't grudge Alloa their point because they battled away all afternoon and never gave up. Like many teams this season their closing down of our guys was very good. We didn't do likewise until later in the game.

I thought Toderov did well when he came on. He gave us more of an aerial threat and was strong on the ball. I'd like to have seen him and Buchanan on for longer because it looked like they were on the same wave length with some good moves together.

Ah well, it was a blip rather than a disaster in the end since we only went from an 11 point lead to a 10 point lead. Hopefully back to winning ways on the tattie field next week.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:27 am

Wouldn't have taken off Cadden or Buchanan, they were our best players, Cadden's head back to Buchanan for our 2nd goal and was ripping Alloa down the wing all game. Even for having him on to run the clock down into the corner and giving us a player who could break up the pitch for a counter attack. I liked Hopkin's subs last week but this week they weakened our team and Rafa was back playing wide which is just bewildering, after him coming on with Todorov last week and doing a lot better playing up front as a striker. Even when Buchanan went off Rafa was still on the wing and Mullin was actually giving Todorov more support in the middle, can't understand Hopkin's thinking today.

He just isn't going to budge on playing Lithgow at LB either, Longridge must be sitting there thinking WTF, seeing Lithgow playing ahead of him, wouldn't blame him if he asked to go out on loan too, waste of his talent sitting on the bench.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 am

It's these kind of decisions that still have me undecided about Hoppy.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 am

Dissapointing end to a game that going by the clear cut chances that fell to us we didnt take.Thought Cadden ran his preverbial socks off and hope wee Danny;s injury isnt anything serious.Remember guys we still have that game in hand over the rest so can stretch even further away if we take the opportunity.Incidently im no prude but the pure bile and hatred that was being directed at us from a small section of that Alloa support under that shed was tottally unaccseptable.there were kids in there as well and the stewards stood there with there arms crossed.Totaaly embarressed themselves and partly spoiled which was a decent game off football.Hopefully wont have to go back there for a long time.As has been said not to much harm done league wise but did notice Stranraer thumping Albion Rovers yesterdy and weve got them next week on as Orco says our tattie feild.More on that later in the week.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Not the worst result but considering we near enough had control of that second half after making it 2-1 and failing to convert our chances in the 90 mins, I'd say it was disappointing. Kelly again making a blunder from long distance but Hopkin won't drop him. Alloa found us out in the first half with our lack of shape with only Crighton playing wide right so they kept pinning him back and putting balls in the box and this is how they equalised.

Lithgow hasn't put in a terrible performance since being moved to left back but not having a natural in that position has meant Cadden is needing to put in extra work when it comes to attacking down the line. Lithgow can only play with his right foot so he only cuts in and punts a diagonal into the box every time. Any semi-decent team with a scout at our games could figure that one out. Clear to see that Hopkin sees Lithgow as untouchable and won't bother dropping him in case he gets his c**k out again.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:24 pm

I think it's more a case of can't than won't; Maley is not really a serious replacement on the evidence I've seen
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Dunno if Kelly was trying to just block the shot with his hands, for it to drop at his feet and then bounce back up for him to catch it, or was trying to catch it, but it was agonizing watching him flapping about trying to get the ball as it spun off his gloves in slo mo into our net. They played one that came off our post from what looked like a deflection too so it could've been worse if that had gone in as well.

On the whole though I agree with LC, we controlled the game with patient build up play and created enough chances to win the game comfortably. Even at 2-2 we looked more likely to get a 3rd than Alloa, and came agonizingly close to doing so when Mullin rounded the keeper and got his shot on target, for it to be cleared off the line. Would have been a simple tap in for Todorov if he'd looked up and seen him though, 4 yards out with an open goal, he couldn't have missed.

Have to admit to have been feeling confident of my 3-1 prediction when Buchanan put us 2-1 up, really should've went on to get a 3rd with the chances we had.

I've had time to reflect on our draw now and got over the disappointment of dropping the 2 points, the bigger picture is we're well clear of Airdrie and Alloa and still have a game in hand to them. Our next 3 games could still see us moving 17 points clear of them. Then we've our 2 bogey teams, QP & EF.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Albion Rovers have not been easy games either. Lucky to get the win at their place with a soft penalty.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:16 pm

orco wrote:Albion Rovers have not been easy games either. Lucky to get the win at their place with a soft penalty.

Yep wont be a gimme for our game in hand, actually looking forward to seeing us play them* with Todorov in our team though, think he'll make a difference with his physical presence up front, the guy is a weapon.

*Anyone know when we will be playing Rovers, is there a time limit to playing a postponed game?
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Somehow managed to make the game on Saturday, was good entertainment tbh, but it was a disappointing result from a Livi perspective. I can't really say how far out Kirkpatrick was for Alloa's opener, but I was right behind the shot and there was minimal swerve on the ball. A definite fault from Kelly and I'd much prefer having a solid, more experienced 'keeper heading in to next season. Having a young player in such an important position for me isn't good management, especially given the relative youth throughout the rest of the team. Was good to see Danny net again, especially given how close he went on several occasions during the match; the one that whistled just past the post was very unlucky in particular.

Second half I thought we dominated it a lot more than the even first half, and deservedly went ahead. I don't actually think Buchanan had been that effective up until he scored, but it was a very lethal finish and he's undroppable for me at the moment. Whilst Danny isn't anywhere near the same form, I can't get my head round the clamour for Todorov to replace him; both times I've seen him now, he's looked awkward and slightly clumsy, by all means, he'll probably be a half decent outlet to hold up the ball provided he gets support, which he didn't on Saturday. Have to say, and LF'll hate me for it, but it's Hopkin's fault again. The asymmetrical formation we have at the moment worked well against Brechin but I don't think it's been effective at all over the entirety of a game against EF or Alloa. Essentially having Crighton and Cadden on the entirety of both the right and left wings respectively is misusing their obvious talents, it was little wonder we suffered when Cadden went off. I'm all for being progressive when it comes to tactics but it's bleeding obvious that Crighton and Mullin on the right and Longridge and Cadden on the left are the best options. We suffered too when Buchanan went off and left Todorov up on his own, and we invited the pressure on to us. A draw was maybe fair but we only have ourselves to blame for not winning.

All that said, Alloa didn't really look like winning the game at any point and look even worse from when we cuffed them at the Recs first time round. If any of the other teams from League 1 come up with us (barring a collapse of biblical proportions), I'll be delighted. We've got the number of Alloa, Airdrie and Brechin, EF would be the only ones to concern me.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Hopkin has a safety first policy which I can understand if his sole aim this season is to get us back to the Championship at the first time of asking. I honesty don't see a problem with Gary Maley in goals if he has a defence of Crighton, Gallagher, Halkett and Longridge and engines in midfield of Pittman, Byrne and eventually Jacobs. The purpose to drop Kelly would be to create a reaction in training and the first game back. I would make it embarrassing for him when he realises that he's lost his place to a keeper who is the size of a double decker bus and has been playing junior football for almost the same length of time as Kelly's own existence.

And I agree that he needs to drop this asymmetrical formation that he's trying to pull off, it isn't working. Asking a slow, limited CB to suddenly become the Scottish lower league equivalent of Dani Alves is just ridiculous. It's just another flaw in Hopkin's management style in that he's trying to crowbar a group of fairly individual, talented players rather than tactically outdoing his opposition with swagger and eye catching performances.

But it's alright though. We're top of the league and having a pleasing ratio of goals scored to conceded so i'll just stick fingers in my ears and pretend nothing is happening.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Nope Afro, don't disagree with you on Hopkin, already said I thought it was a mistake taking Buchanan off and leaving Todorov up by himself when him and Buchanan were starting to click. Cadden was my MoTM but maybe he was knackered covering so much ground in attack and defence, but i'd have stuck Mullin on for Cadden, not Rafa, and i'd have stuck Rafa on for Buchanan (if I was subbing him which I wouldn't have done), to keep our shape.

Don't agree about Todorov being clumsy though, his neat touches in a tight area with him and Buchanan going through Alloa's defence showed he is far from clumsy. His hold up play was superb, esp after he was left up all by himself and had to hold off players for about 20 seconds at a time till support got up and then managed to play the ball to Mullin, who was going up the centre of midfield while Rafa was stuck out on the wing.

We invited Alloa onto us once Buchanan was taken off and we conceded a goal, I really don't think we'd have dropped those 2 points if he'd stayed on and think we'd have been more likely to have got a 3rd goal.

Hopkin is bullet proof this season though and will come under no pressure at all from the board (whoever they may be), which is fair enough, he's got us comfortably winning the league. Next season is a worry though, that's where he got found out the last time he messed about putting Cole in defence and White on the wing.
    I've mostly backed him this season though and although Longridge being dropped for Lithgow bugs me I can still give Hopkin credit for having us in a strong position and still think we'll skoosh this league. Just have to wait and see what squad he puts together next season, and where he plays them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am