The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
forzalfc
ol1vercloff
cptn_hooch
Durnford
Troy
orco
Afro
Liviforever
Auld Nick
LiviLion
14 posters

2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread

Liviforever
    Liviforever

2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Durnford wrote:Cant really understand why people are suggesting his move demonstrates a lack of ambition. The boy is 32 years old, people have already expressed surprise that he is still able to run around with as much stamina as someone 10 years his junior but time catches up with us all. At best he has two years left before his performances start to really drop off.

He's certainly not going to get snapped up by a premier side or stand a chance of international call-up. He does however have a chance of maximising his income for the remaining couple of years with Raith and I think he'll be a hero for getting them back in the championship. Lets be honest, for any side with a half decent defence; Buchanan's goals will virtually guarantee an automatic promotion place - plus he hardly ever gets injured.

He could have left us last year when we went down but felt he had a point to prove by getting us back up.

I would have loved him to stay with us and move into a coaching role at the end of his career but he needs to make the decision that he feel is best for him and his family; after all he's not nineteen anymore.

It is the fact he's in his thirties I think this is a bad move, stepping back to come forward is fine if you've got time on your side, but at 32 every year counts for him and I still think he could've had a move at 33 and done well for another season at a team like Falkirk. The older he gets the less chance of that happening though, so he seems happy to settle for Raith as his height of ambition.
    ol1vercloff

Post by ol1vercloff Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Disappointing if he has went to Raith because he's afraid of being challenged. If that's the case, what's the point in pursuing a career in this game? He may as well have fucked off to India or something.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:21 pm

We got relegated a year ago even though Buchanan had played that season so nothing is guaranteed. We are a better team now mind you especially at the back. Liam has gone so time for others to step up. This could be Danny Mullen's year. He has goals in him. Maybe Kyle Sampson could break through. There are also goals elsewhere in the team. Rafa and Pittman get goals and Dale Carrick has still to show what he can do.

I'd rather Buchanan had stayed but I wouldn't want us to start paying more than we can afford to keep him.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Carrick is a bit of an unknown whereas Buchanan has shown he can score plenty of goals at this level. So i would've been the more confident with Mullen and Buchanan up front. However Mullen and Carrick could be a great striker pairing and score tons of goals between them, and if we sign Toddy back up we'll have the plan B option against teams where a big target man is needed.

I'm kinda excited to see how Carrick and Mullen do, but a bit nervous about it too, in case it doesn't work out very well. The joys of being a footy fan. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 pm

With Buchanan going we probably need two forwards now; had he stayed we would still have needed another. Todorov is not the answer.

Maybe one of the midfielders/wingers could step up & play up front.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:With Buchanan going we probably need two forwards now; had he stayed we would still have needed another. Todorov is not the answer.

Maybe one of the midfielders/wingers could step up & play up front.

You're asking the wrong question then.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 am

lol!

Cracker of a comeback LF; if the "I'm not worthy" emoji was still available it would be inserted here.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am

Carrick is only a backup for the moment, hope he comes up a level but the fact he wasn't exactly setting the heather alight at a team bottom of L2 doesn't fill me with confidence. Not a huge fan of Toderov, he's got height but not much else. Mullen and 2 other strikers would be needed - If we can get money for Knox then maybe we can afford Andy Ryan.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Unfortunately neither Carrick or Toderov are championship standard which is a shame because personality and effort wise is right up there.

Carrick had an extended run and all the support necessary with Cowdenbeath but was rarely on the score sheet; Toderov was one of the clumsiest player I've seen; even more so than Barrowman.

That being said I wasn't overly impressed with Ryan whenever I saw him; very good for the first 20 - 25 minutes but faded after that; strange for a young player really.

Of the youngsters Ogilvie impressed me the most but even then I'm not sure he's ready to take the step up.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I suspect the only good thing for Carrick going to Cowdenbeath was regular games, I doubt there would have been too many chances created for him.

Toddy scored more for us than he did for Cowden, so comparing records at both clubs doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Agree with Toddy being clumsy, however he strolled thru games in defence & he did hit one of the passes of the season at Airdrie, I think it was.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm

It would be good if we could manage to get a young loan striker who could do much the same as Stevie May did for Hamilton a few seasons ago. I also remember the year St Mirren were promoted to the SPL they had a young Charlie Adam on loan from Rangers.
    It's rare I know but just maybe. Laughing
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:24 am

Agree that Toddy and Carrick haven't proven themselves yet but I think both showed potential and I just saw something in both of them that makes me think they could do a job for us in the Championship.

Carrick was superb at getting himself in for 6 yard goals just before he left, with the wide players we have I think he'd get good poaching goals.

Todorov had some good touches with Buchanan in a couple of away games on plastic pitches, and did that superb pass at Airdrie Bertie mentioned, scored a decent goal from a long ball up to him too. He has strength to burst through packed defences as well, but wasted a few one on one chances after doing so, but i'd still like to see what he could do with a pre season working with Hoppy and the players behind him, so he has a good understanding with everyone.

Obv i'm gutted Buchanan left (on the bright side we might score some penalties now) but I think we should still do well. If we could sign Ryan or as Orco said, get lucky with an on loan goal machine then great, just have to wait and see what Hoppy's signings will be.

Kyle Sampson could be one for the near future though, heard good things about him.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 am

Liviforever wrote:Carrick was superb at getting himself in for 6 yard goals just before he left, with the wide players we have I think he'd get good poaching goals.

Which is how Buchanan got a lot of his goals, Mullen doing the running and setting it up for him.

Also can't see us getting Ryan, would imagine St Mirren and Falkirk will be in for him and will be offering more both to him and Airdrie. The seethe from Airdrie fans would be worth every penny though.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 am

Apparently signing Josh Peters from Forfar, scored 11 goals last season and Dundee (and a few English clubs) were after him in January.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Peters is confirmed as a new signing apparently scoring 17 last season.

Ally MacNeill (aka Darwin from Livilions days) may know about him from his Highlands connections
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Scored 11 in the league, Danny Denholm scored 12 in the league for Forfar so not sure how Josh Peters will do in the Championship. Can only hope Hoppy has spotted a player, like he did with Scotty P.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Had a brief chat with Charles Darwin Esq from the old Livilions boards. He has been known to frequent Highland League games during his travels on HMS Beagle. He saw Josh Peters during his HL career & believes that he is evolving into a decent player who could become a real asset for us. 17 goals in 28 games including 5 in 5 cup ties is very decent for a young player.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 pm

On second viewing of his stats on the bbc goal table, he had a lot less game time than Denholm for his 11 league goals, so prob a better goal scorer than Denholm.
    From what some Forfar fans said he is a good goal scorer inside the box but a bit lazy and doesn't do anything else. That can be worked on though and I doubt Hoppy will let him away with that. I liked both Buchanan and Mullen for their work rate forcing back possession by chasing down defenders forcing them to get rid of the ball and not being able to pick out a pass. Buchanan credited Mullen with doing a lot more leg work than him but Buchanan still did a share, Peters will have to help Mullen out a bit too.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 am

I'm going to reserve comment after I how hopeful I was for Jordyn Sherrin based on his stats. To be fair he never really got a proper shot in an under-performing team so who knows what he could have done if there had been a bit of faith in him. Hopefully Peters will be given a chance.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:06 am

Durnford wrote:I'm going to reserve comment after I how hopeful I was for Jordyn Sherrin based on his stats. To be fair he never really got a proper shot in an under-performing team so who knows what he could have done if there had been a bit of faith in him. Hopefully Peters will be given a chance.

Didn't Sheerin come straight from the Juniors, though? Not that SPFL2 is much of a step up from non-league football, tbh, but 11 league goals with limited playing time as well as goals in the League Cup against teams that are no mugs isn't to be sniffed at. Hardly the most exciting signing in the world but if he can make the step up in the same manner as someone like Pittman did, we'll be onto a winner.

Still think we need a starting striker, though, as well as a RB and a GK. That we're in mid-June and that's all we're needing is pretty spectacular - usually we're still putting whole teams together at this point!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah the season we were relegated Burchill had a signing embargo up till 2 weeks before the start of the season, and was having to sign 2nd and 3rd choice players.

This is the best pre season we've had in years, the same manager after a full season and the core group of players from last season too, which gives us a bit of continuity going into a new season. Looking around us other teams are still trying to sign up more than half their team.

Not sure if we'll get a RB, again, we've signed a midfielder that has played there for East Fife, so i'm expecting him to play RB for us, or Crighton to be put there again. Def need a keeper though, and wouldn't say no to a wow signing of some sorts, not really signed anyone that has got me salivating with excitement.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Talk of Mark Millar leaving, apparently looking for more dosh than we've offered him. Actually surprised we made him an offer at all, hardly inspired last season, think he only had one good game then faded into the background.

Mikey Miller is supposedly leaving too, mixed feeling about this, he did well up till his injury but I think Byrne was in his shadow playing alongside him, and really came into his own after Miller's injury. Imo Byrne became one of our best players last season so perhaps it is best Miller left.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Liked the look of Mikey Miller before the injury but as Liviforever said, the silver lining was Byrne coming onto a game and cementing his first team place. We're packed in midfield so losing him and Mark Millar wouldn't be a major issue although I'd be sad to see Mikey Miller go. A lot of positivity around pre season which is great. As mentioned above it's fantastic to have most of the first team squad signed up already, same manager from a full season and a few new faces coming in before mid June. Not had a pre season like this for a while.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Dylan Mackin signed on a 2 year deal. Big striker who was on loan to Alloa from Motherwell last season, and scored against us, their 86th min goal in the 2-2 draw. Looking at his SPFL profile, he was a good development player for Motherwell, and Hoppy is offering him the chance to develop more with us and get first team football. Sounds like he could be a good player for us, good hold up player for Mullen or Carrick to play off too.

Wonder if we're still trying to get Todorov now as Dylan looks like the same kind of player. That's us got 4 strikers signed now too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Strange that he got a 2 year deal but Mullen only got 1 year.

Apparently turned down an offer of more money from top tier side

So Carrick is our oldest forward, but Mullen is arguably our most experienced forward and we have 2 promising youngsters.

I would have liked an experienced goalscorer but if these youngsters can blend then we could be quite a dynamic & exciting side to watch again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm