The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

General Election 2017

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

General Election 2017 Empty General Election 2017

Post by Auld Nick Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 am

Just throwing this out there to see if there is much interest in the election in June.

As I see it:

Green Party: Should be the party of choice for those Scots who want independence but don't like SNP

Labour: in such disarray in Scotland (although they seem to be at least stabilising in England) that voting for them is a wasted vote

Lib Dem: Don't know their posterior from their humerus.

Conservative: The clue is in the first three letters; any Scot who votes for them ought to be ashamed of themselves given the treatment Scotland gets from this party.

UKIP: Ugly sister to Conservative.

SNP: Whether you agree with independence or not, they are the only party equipped to give Scotland any kind of voice at Westminster. Supporters of independence should vote for them for obvious reasons. Supporters of remaining in the UK should also vote for them and vote no again if/when another referendum follows on.

I'm surprised that Labour in England haven't made more use of Theresa May's surname, using it in lower case; e.g. Support the NHS: Theresa may, Jeremy will - that sort of thing.

I sincerely hope that England swings to Corbyn just to wipe the smug faces off the Tories; sadly I expect another Tory win & their unwelcome resurgence in Scotland to continue.
    orco
    orco

General Election 2017 Empty Re: General Election 2017

Post by orco Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 am

We always get what England vote for so SNP for me. We need to be an independent country so that our values are reflected in the government we choose.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu May 25, 2017 3:36 pm

I agree with a lot of Corbyn's ideals on war, fighting terrorism, and social issues, and given a choice i'd rather see Labour given a chance than another Tory term to tighten their grip on austerity policies whilst giving corporations a free pass. But from a Scottish pov I just can't see the point of voting for Labour when it answers to Westminster and wont give Scotland their full support when they can be overruled if it doesn't suit England's best interests. So SNP is the only party I can give my vote to, and just hope others do the same.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri May 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Michael Fallon making a complete arse of himself here when he tried to get all self righteous about Jeremy Corbyn's comments after Manchester terror attack : https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/stat...02317350305793
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Bit of an embarrassing result for May, she's worse off now than she was before the election, and the reason she called this snap GN was to get a strong Tory majority in Parliament.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Or was she trying to blow it completely & leave organising the departure from the EU to someone else?

Whatever way you cut it she is still in no.10 but what I think this election proves is the inequality of the first past the post system; the number of seats ought to be more reflective of the percentage of the vote cast (some form of proportional representation) - it's all pretty laughable though. Labour claim they won even though they didn't, Conservatives end up with far less MPs than they began with.

Similarly up here, OK the SNP lost a lot of seats but they still have more than the rest put together & the only reason the result looks bad for them is because of the unprecedented success of the last election - let's face it they had 56 of 59 seats, the really couldn't do any better so the only way was down. It is still the second most successful result in SNP history.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Yep the Tories won but they lost seats and now have a hung Parliament.
    Labour lost but gained seats, so are celebrating losing.

SNP won but lost seats and are gutted at losing so many.
    Tories won seats but still lost in Scotland, but are celebrating losing.
    Labour lost but won some seats, not a lot but some, so are well chuffed with themselves.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 pm

The country is a basket case but glad our lass got in.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Liviforever wrote:Yep the Tories won but they lost seats and now have a hung Parliament.
    Labour lost but gained seats, so are celebrating losing.

SNP won but lost seats and are gutted at losing so many.
    Tories won seats but still lost in Scotland, but are celebrating losing.
    Labour lost but won some seats, not a lot but some, so are well chuffed with themselves.

And yet the Tories in England are mocking Labour celebrating defeat but celebrating their own defeat in Scotland.

I think the close results in the Indy & EU referenda followed by the close GE result (esp in terms of vote share & the fact it's a hung parliament) just shows how truly divided Britain & indeed Scotland is. It also shows that the political parties are severely lacking in terms of decent policies and strong, stable (ironically enough) leadership.

If someone could emerge with a sensible strategy & good statesmanlike qualities they could capture the imagination of the people.

I suspect even if the Con/DUP coalition goes ahead it will cause more problems.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:04 pm

The Tories also mocked and accused Corbyn of being an IRA sympathiser and are now forming a coalition with the DUP, who are the other side of Sinn Fein. It could also contravene the good Friday agreement, and start up the troubles again. Yeah May is doing a grand job leading a 'strong' UK in Brexit negotiations.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Not sure what you mean by "other side of Sinn Fein" my understanding is that they & Sinn Fein worked together to bring peace to the province?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Other side of the political coin Bertie, DUP is the political party of the UVF and had links to the UDA, this is going to cause trouble in Ireland when the Tories form a coalition with them.

From what I understood the DUP campaigned against the good Friday agreement after Sinn Fein got involved.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:53 am

Aaaaah. It also seems to be causing a rift between May & Davidson
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:52 am

Yeah over the gay marriage being illegal in Ireland and Davidson's same sex partner wanting to get married in her home town Irish church. Davidson is a protestant and her partner is catholic too, so a coalition made in heaven for Davidson. Laughing

Another embarrassing blunder by May, the Tories released a statement saying a deal had been struck with the DUP, later the DUP released a statement saying no deal has been reached. May then said their statement went out by error, what a mess the Tory party are going into Brexit negotiations.

Corbyn also seems to think he can oppose the Queen's speech in parliament and bring down May's minority government, and get another general election to be PM, need to get the popcorn out watching things develop this week.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:05 am

If Corbyn was successful with that then it might actually win back some Labour voters but I can't see it doing enough to get a majority himself.

The whole Brexit fiasco has been badly planned from the start & is frightentning May to the core. She hasn't got a clue how to progress it & I think she knows that if she botches it her career will be effectively over.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:16 am

According to the new polls Labour are 6 points ahead of the Conservatives now, his right wing Labour MP's that all abandoned him are crawling out of the woodwork to support him, now they see he's popular with voters too.

Irrespective of what happens, Theresa May is finished as PM, she's clinging on for dear life but her own MP's can see the damage she's done to their party, and it is just getting worse the longer she's in charge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm