The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Afro
LiviLion
Auld Nick
Liviforever
8 posters

Livi v Brechin

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi v Brechin Empty Livi v Brechin

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Ok disappointing result against Dunfermline but lets just put that behind us and get on with pumping Brechin this Sat, or at least just beating them.

Looking at their results, apart from a 3-0 loss to the Pars they've only been losing games 2-1 or 1-0, so we're not going to get an easy game, but it is still a game we should/need to be winning, and we can't afford any slip ups in defence that would give them a lift and something to hang onto. Prob need to be patient and keep plugging away at them, big Toddy up front is a must for me, to rough them up and try and create space for shots at goal. Carrick would be his obv strike partner but I wouldn't mind seeing Rafa playing alongside him.

Something along the lines of:

...................................Alexander

............Gallagher         Halkett          Lithgow

....McMillan          Byrne         Pittman      Jacobs       Penrice

.............................Todorov         DeVita
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Livi v Brechin Empty Re: Livi v Brechin

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Is Mullen suspended? If so then I would start with Toddy & Carrick & bring Rafa on after 60 mins.

I think we can afford to play Mullin if we have the normal back 3 but I would like Jacobs back in the side, so I'd be inclined to have McMillan on the bench.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that Brechin have not been getting hammered but they are basically losing every week so anything other than a win would be a big disappointment.

That said... am I willing to risk putting a hex on the boys by predicting a win?

Buckle up boys I'm risking it...

Livi 2 Brechin 0

Fg 19 mins
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 am

2-0 Livi, FG 14 mins
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Ach stuff it, if Dunfermline can do it so can we, 3-0 to the AM, fg 8 mins.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Gallagher back in, Penrice and Mullin out wide, Keaghan in from the off, Carrick and Toddy up front. Hopefully put last week's disappointment behind us, although I have a suspicion Brechin will be one of the most awkward teams we'll meet all season.

1-0, FG 67 mins.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 am

In this league under previous managers, we have lost our bottle for these games. Even in October this is a must win if we want to consolidate a solid position come the end of the season.

Livingston 2. Brechin 1. FG 24 mins.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 am

2 - 0 to Livi
    First goal 22 minutes.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Having looked at the weather, I fear the wind will be the winner tomorrow. It's a great leveller so it will be anyone's game.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Would tend to agree with Afros comment about Brechin being awkward and hard to beat as their results thus far show.Yes theve had a lot of defeats but to the best of my knowledge nobody has given them a tanking yet.I reckon that will continue tommorow although i feel home advantage here will just about swing it our way.Danny will be a miss but its up to the other strikers to show us what they can do.Will be interesting to see how Hoppy lines us up.We might have to be paitent but as always the first goal will be crucial.Get it early and i can only see one outcome here.Cmon Livi get last week out of your systems and do it!!!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Fantastic result, other results went our way again too and we go back to 2nd place and close the gap on St Mirren to 2 points.

We made hard work of the first half after an early goal putting us ahead, their free kick looked to have caught us out a bit, didn't look as if we were set up for a direct free kick and left a gap for them to shoot through, 1-1 and a scrappy first half.

Hoppy making good substitutions again, this game was set up for Mackin, he was getting high balls kicked up to him and was winning most of them and causing havoc in Brechin's defence, I've been critical of his work rate but he really made the difference for us getting our win today. His goal was the pick of the bunch, Keaghan did really well getting the ball down the wing and penrice played a lovely ball through to Mackin for him to score from a rebound.

At 3-1 we were cruising but typical Livi, we couldn't just have a comfortable afternoon, we concede a penalty and made it a bit nervy for the final 5 minutes. Deserved the win though and puts us right back in the mix at the top end of the table.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I didn't think the free kick they scored from was a free kick. Alexander was clearly annoyed at the wall.

I thought Toddy knocked our first one over the line as he didn't celebrate a goal until he got his touch.
    I thought we deserved our lead when we went ahead again and at 3-1 I thought we might go on and get 4 or 5. That said Brechin were stubborn defenders and seemed well organised defensively. I didn't think they threatened too much going forward so it's disappointing to concede 2 to them again.

I thought Pittman was immense again, Penrice put in a power of work and was superb in setting up the 3rd for Mackin who really should have scored at the first attempt but that was two goals in which we capitalised on the second phase ball which is a good sign. I'd like to see us trying to get Penrice as a full signing.

Still not impressed with Mackin's work rate but can't argue with his poaching ability, he nearly scored a beauty slightly earlier too, the curling shot that brought the save of the match. Byrne had a good game and DeVita worked hard for little reward. The defence was fairly reliable and comfortable so it's all the more galling to concede 2 goals. Good persistence from Halkett to get the 2nd goal. I thought Jacobs made a difference when he came on too. Put a bit more bite in the midfield.

Well deserved win.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:04 am

I said prior to the match that this would be a tough one and i was right.After a nervous last ten minuites or so you could feel the reliefe as the ref blew the final whistleto bring an end to a game i feel we made harder for ourselves.Credit to Brechin who never gave up although some of the decisions from the ref and his assistants did not help our cause.Thuoght Rafa put in a helluva shift and was sorry to see him go off.Hope hes not picked up an injury.The young lad Penrice was excellent as well and has already been said will be a loss if he goes back to Thistle in January.All in all a tough game negotiated and out off the way and back to second in the table so well done Hoppy and the lads and onwards to a another tough match next week against a seemingly rejuvinated Caley Thistle.Cant wait!.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 am

It looked like Rafa had hurt his foot/toes, saw him bending down to give attend to his foot and then gingerly walk about for a bit just before his substitution. Hopefully nothing serious and he'll be fine for next week's game.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm

We played some good stuff and came close on several occasions but Brechin and made it hard for us for most of the game. It's a consolation that they will do this to other teams too mind you. Both of their goals came from refereeing decisions. No change there. Rolling Eyes . The free kick leading to their first was debateable but he gave them every 50/50 all afternoon. He also moved the ball from the correct position, where the angle would have been harder to score from, to one further back making it easier. The penalty was of the soft variety.
    Still we won in any case and took ourselves back up to second. (I'm dizzy way up here) Shocked
    With a resurgent Caley, next week won't be easy but we'll have Danny back and hopefully carry on with the team spirit that has taken us so far this season.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:26 pm

https://vimeo.com/240376447

Still not sure how we got that first goal, think Smith fumbled it into his own net before Toddy got there and McMillan has been given it.

Shite wall for their first goal and dear knows what Gallagher is doing diving to head the ball and somehow giving away a penalty.

Belter of a 3rd goal though, nice play from Keaghan and Penrice and stuck away by Mackin.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 pm

It's Toddy's goal. I don't see it crossing the line until it hits him. I think Smith fumbles it and swats onto him before it crosses the line.

Even on the video that wall looks like it is all wrong.

Good composure from Halkett to score the second. If Gallagher had shown that kind of composure he'd have scored at least once yesterday.

Excellent work by Jacobs & Penrice to set up Mackin, who really should have scored with his first attempt but it's hard to complain considering he did score in the end.

Very strange attempt to play the ball by Gallagher who simply took the guy out.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Made heavy weather of it in the end but if Brechin had left with a point, it would have been entirely our own fault and not really reflective of the second half especially. Horrendous goalkeeping for our first, it looks like McMillan's goal from this photo. Wall was very poorly set up for Sinclair's goal, no way should a free kick be going in at that angle given what's in front of it. Apart from that, Brechin offered very little but still provided us with a few nervy moments in the first half. Never saw the handbags so can't comment but McKenna (#17?) was all over the place for the entire game and looked as steady as a young Danny Mullen on his feet.

Been a big critic of Mackin before but his introduction definitely changed the game in favour second half, we were struggling with Todorov up on his own during the first and they did seem to get some good runs off each other. Third goal in particular was delightful, I reckon we'll miss Penrice significantly if he goes back to Partick as expected come January.

No idea what Gallagher was doing for their penalty. An utterly daft challenge and if it had meant anything then I would've been seething.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Yep those pics look like Smith fumbled at it and dragged it back out of his net and then Toddy followed in and knocked it back into the net to make sure, right decision giving it to McMillan then.

Could do with Pittman getting himself further up to where Penrice is getting involved if he leaves to go back to Partick Th in Jan. Thought Rafa was our front man with Toddy and dropped back into midfield when Mackin came on, then moved back up when Keaghan came on for Toddy. Looked like he had hurt his foot just before going off for Knox, hopefully nothing serious and he's ok for this Saturday.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Liviforever wrote:Yep those pics look like Smith fumbled at it and dragged it back out of his net and then Toddy followed in and knocked it back into the net to make sure, right decision giving it to McMillan then.

Could do with Pittman getting himself further up to where Penrice is getting involved if he leaves to go back to Partick Th in Jan. Thought Rafa was our front man with Toddy and dropped back into midfield when Mackin came on, then moved back up when Keaghan came on for Toddy. Looked like he had hurt his foot just before going off for Knox, hopefully nothing serious and he's ok for this Saturday.

My big hope if Penrice does go in January is that Knox can fill in on that left hand side. Looked the part there in pre-season and can probably count himself unlucky not to have more minutes at this point in the season.

Agree with you about Pittman, however. Does a power of work in any position he takes up so I'm not overly fussed though.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Still not convinced the whole ball was over the line before Toddy's touch and the photos don't show his touch putting it over the line either so are certainly not definitive but regardless of who gets the goal he deserves a pat on the back for making sure it was in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content