Brechin v Livi

Liviforever

Brechin v Livi

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I can see everyone is absolutely buzzing for this game, nobody on P&B has started a match thread yet either. Laughing

We didn't suffer any back to back league defeats in 2017 so i'm hoping that stat remains in tact all 2018, and that this is the time of the season for Brechin to really feel their PT status in a predominantly FT league, and the vigorous efforts of playing in it catch up with them.

You can tell i'm nervous about this game can't you, trying to talk myself into a positive state of mind here. lol!

So like the Dumbarton game I don't know where our goals will come from (i'd take the same result) but i'll go for 3-1 Livi, fg 14 mins.

Last edited by Liviforever on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LiviLion

Re: Brechin v Livi

Post by LiviLion on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Hoping we get someone signed before this game. I've got a horrible feeling we'll be Brechin's first win, hope I'm wrong and we hammer them with thanks to a [new signing] hat trick.

1-1, FG 27 mins.
cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm

This game is a good chance for Boyd to open his account and for the team to gain some confidence...hopefully come away with a solid win. 3-0 Livi
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm

We've already dropped 2 points to them carelessly so we need to make sure we are up for it. I too am struggling to see where the goals are going to come from. Personally I'd like to see us start with Boyd & Robinson up front and play to get the lumbering Brechin defenders turning & twisting continually.

I fear we could come unstuck but will predict another draw.

BC 1 Liv 1
FG 55 mins
orco

Post by orco on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Keep Mackin on the bench till late on. He might not look so slow and cumbersome once the opposition are tired.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 am

A draw is no good to us here, a win or nothing for me, too many teams are up and around us just now and it will be too easy to slip right down to the Falkirk/Dumbarton area. About time we're knocking some wins together and moving right away from this pack chasing us.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 am

Every point that pushes us closer to 40 is vital. Our opening quarter results were excellent, our second quarter results were very good & if we win the game that should have been played in that quarter then it would become almost as good as the 1st quarter but it isn't scheduled yet, so we'll settle for very good. So far in the third quarter results are just below average & we have an outstanding game to play in it as well, also not rescheduled yet, a win over Brechin and 3rd quarter results will be average.

I warned that we would probably see our challenge for the top 4 falter, I think we are seeing that but while I want us to finish as high as possible, I think we are realistically a mid-table side, mainly due to our lack of a regular scorer. (And please don't hold up Mackin - he is not a regular scorer).

So all in all while I'll be disappointed if we don't beat Brechin, I will gladly accept avoiding defeat.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

We're not seeing anything falter yet, but a defeat to Brechin would certainly be us faltering.

Too many variables just now to say where we'll be looking to finish this quarter, we've 2 games in hand over ICT and 1 game in hand over Dunfermline and QoS, a win against Brechin and Morton (one of our GiH) and we're in an excellent position again and doing great, prob sitting 3rd. A draw against Brechin and we've thrown away a good opportunity to get above QoS, this week's fixtures favour us more than the other teams around us, we really need to take advantage of that.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Agree on the importance of a win, disagree on whether or not we are faltering. Time will tell and I hope you are right.
LiviCub

Post by LiviCub on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 am

I would've gave Carrick a start for this game but seeing as he's away, I reckon it'll be Boyd and Mackin up front.

Brechin 1. Livingston 3. FG 25 mins.

Troy

Post by Troy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Seems to be a wee bit of anxiety among an element of the Livi support at the moment.Understandable as weve left ourselves weak up front for the Brechin game tommorow.Think we are going to have to carry on by relying on goals from elsewhere on the pitch against a team who are going to be a tough nut to crack as there results invariably defeats by narrow margins would suggest.Ialso hope that Boyd if hes fit plays up front with one of the big strikers to give us a chance of breaking this stuffy team down.Reasonably confident that the Lions can return from Glebe Park with the 3 points heading back to West Lothian.Cmon Livi,Do it!!!
Afro

Post by Afro on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

0-1, FG 57 mins.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am

Not too optimist about this one
1 -1 with first goal at 35 mins
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm

1-0 Livi HT.

So far so good with all the other results also going our way, though if Utd could score and beat Dunfermline we'd move back up to 3rd place. Those results will take care of themselves though, just need to make sure we win this game first.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Robinson makes it 2-0, sheesh, thank goodness for that.

Just need Utd to score now and it'll have been a perfect afternoon for us.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Just need to see this out & United to score you mean - we have "previous" for throwing away two goal leads

I am revising my thinking on who will win this division. I had thought United would kick on but they seem to have spanked us & fallen away. I now think St Midden will win the title, sadly.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm

No danger we were throwing away a 2 goal lead with Halkett, Gallagher, Lithgow and Buchanan all playing in defence, good to see us keeping a clean sheet and seeing out the game quite comfortably.

Yeah looks like St Mirren are going to run away with it now, Utd caught us at a bad time but St Mirren ran rings around us in our last game and we were sadly well beaten by them, they look the best team in the league.

Troy

Post by Troy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

As i said prehand i thought that this could be a toughie but by most accounts we ran out comfortable winners in the end so plaudits to Hoppy and the lads for a job well done.So back into the top 4 we go but still to be convinced that we can stay there.Of course we are still probably exceeding most peoples expectations but the fact that we are still 13 points clear of 9th place at the moment makes looking at the league table all the more pleasing albeit without getting too carried away.As i say a tricky tie safely negotiated so well done Livi and i agree with L/F in that i tend to feel the league is StMirrens to throw away although long way to go yet.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Troy wrote:As i said prehand i thought that this could be a toughie but by most accounts we ran out comfortable winners in the end so plaudits to Hoppy and the lads for a job well done.So back into the top 4 we go but still to be convinced that we can stay there.Of course we are still probably exceeding most peoples expectations but the fact that we are still 13 points clear of 9th place at the moment makes looking at the league table all the more pleasing albeit without getting too carried away.As i say a tricky tie safely negotiated so well done Livi and i agree with L/F in that i tend to feel the league is StMirrens to throw away although long way to go yet.

Wouldn't say it was comfortable by any standards. Brechin chased and harried us all over the place; even in the last couple of minutes a Brechin player had the ball in front of goal almost with only Alexander to beat and scuffed it.

The set up was really strange with Lithgow; Halkett and Buchanan (who did very well by the way) at the back; with Gallagher as a defensive midfielder. Longridge and Jacobs playing almost as wing backs; Byrne and Pittman in midfield and Robinson and Boyd up front.

We were significantly better than Brechin all over the park but Hopkin's tactics seemed totally baffling for the second week in a row.

In addition the referee was unbelievably fussy; stopping the game instead of allowing advantage and giving a foul whenever someone falls over provided they give a little yelp.

Oh and maybe Brechin should replace their floodlights with a 40 watt bulb; it would be a step upwards.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Seems we're resting Mullin because we don't want to risk him getting injured in January as we're trying to flog him off before his contract runs out. Also talk of us bringing Bobby Barr in as his replacement.

Good solid win anyway and Brechin didn't really trouble us till right at the end and we had a 2 goal cushion by then so I think it was a comfortable win. Was always going to be a hard game and we did what needed to be done, so i'm relieved at us getting the 3 points, we really needed them after an up and down spell with the weather interrupting our stride as much as anything.

We've got a wee break from the league with a cup game next weekend but Dunfermline play St Mirren midweek, so hopefully St Mirren gub them and we'll have 2 games in hand over the Pars.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Troy wrote:As i said prehand i thought that this could be a toughie but by most accounts we ran out comfortable winners in the end so plaudits to Hoppy and the lads for a job well done.So back into the top 4 we go but still to be convinced that we can stay there.Of course we are still probably exceeding most peoples expectations but the fact that we are still 13 points clear of 9th place at the moment makes looking at the league table all the more pleasing albeit without getting too carried away.As i say a tricky tie safely negotiated so well done Livi and i agree with L/F in that i tend to feel the league is StMirrens to throw away although long way to go yet.

I think we can not only stay in the top 4 we could quite comfortably stay there, but it all depends on us keeping key players. We could afford to lose Mullin if we get Barr, as Mullin hasn't been a regular start, he's done brilliant for us and it would be great to keep him for the season but not imperative. Halkett is a different kettle of fish though, we'd miss him a lot more than Mullin. Same goes for Byrne, Pittman, Lithgow and Gallagher, they've all been key players for us this season and are all first choice picks when fit/available.

None of the teams around us are brilliant, they're all dropping points, ICT even look likely to challenge us and the Pars more than QoS or Morton. And I think we can get above Dunfermline and stay there, to let them fight for 4th place with ICT.

We'll just need to hope none of those key players leaves us in January, fingers crossed we still have them and push on for 3rd place.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Liviforever wrote:

I think we can not only stay in the top 4 we could quite comfortably stay there, but it all depends on us keeping key players. We could afford to lose Mullin if we get Barr, as Mullin hasn't been a regular start, he's done brilliant for us and it would be great to keep him for the season but not imperative. Halkett is a different kettle of fish though, we'd miss him a lot more than Mullin. Same goes for Byrne, Pittman, Lithgow and Gallagher, they've all been key players for us this season and are all first choice picks when fit/available.

None of the teams around us are brilliant, they're all dropping points, ICT even look likely to challenge us and the Pars more than QoS or Morton. And I think we can get above Dunfermline and stay there, to let them fight for 4th place with ICT.

We'll just need to hope none of those key players leaves us in January, fingers crossed we still have them and push on for 3rd place.

Was pleasantly surprised by what i saw of Buchanan today; was solid and appeared dependable. Time and again he allowed the Brechin player to come to him; picking the precise time when he chose to put in the challenge and not allow it to be dictated by the Brechin winger.

I really wouldn't be keen on bringing in Bobby Barr; he offers nothing more than we already have in droves so what's the point.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Don't agree Mr D, we don't have any pacey wingers who can leave opposition players for dead, Bobby Barr can, and always has you on the back foot when he gets the ball because he runs at you. That would give us something a bit different, and esp coming on as a sub 2nd half. Even if Mullin stays i'd like to see us getting Barr.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Liviforever wrote:No danger we were throwing away a 2 goal lead with Halkett, Gallagher, Lithgow and Buchanan all playing in defence, good to see us keeping a clean sheet and seeing out the game quite comfortably.

Yeah looks like St Mirren are going to run away with it now, Utd caught us at a bad time but St Mirren ran rings around us in our last game and we were sadly well beaten by them, they look the best team in the league.

Report over in the Den suggests Dec was in midfield today, retaining the back 3 set up.
I suspect he was wide right but have asked for more information. There is always the possibility that he played a holding midfield role with Keaghan playing wide.

Good win though, other results were reasonable although I think I might have liked more draws than the one game that ended level.

*Just read Durnford's description of him playing as holding midfielder.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Mullin was supposed to be a pacey winger when we signed him but IMO he's more likely to beat his opponent by a piece of skill than by pace & he can cross from deep or the bye line with equal effect & has a decent shot.

Cadden on the other hand can get away with a turn of pace but seems injury prone & certainly doesn't like having to tackle or be tackled. Can cross but not as effectively as Mullin. Has a decent shot when he connects properly.

Barr... When we beat Falkirk 5-2 at their place he was outstanding, unplayable and along with Keaghan he ripped up Falkirk for fun. There were other games where he also did well. However, more often than not he was, in the immortal words of Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias, much more "heads down, no nonesense, mindless boogie" with the emphasis on the mindless. Very frustrating. He was certainly fast though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:24 am