The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The battle of Santiago

Durnford

The battle of Santiago Empty The battle of Santiago

Post by Durnford Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Most will probably be too young to remember this but for the rest of you "in case we forget":

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

The battle of Santiago Empty Re: The battle of Santiago

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 am

What made you post this?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 am

The cold weather maybe made him reminisce.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 am

It happened the year I as born so I don't remember it but I have Brian Glanville's excellent book on the history of the World Cup and there were a number of "battle" games back in those days.

Pele was kicked off the park in the tournament in England & I'm sure it was by a team normally known for its football rather than dirty play.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah the 60's were a little too early for me to remember footballing events, can't even remember England winning the world cup, but I've been reminded of it enough since. Rolling Eyes

I can remember footballing 'hatchet men from the 70 and 80's though and the rules being a lot, shall we say, more liberal back in those days.

Rugby too used to be pitch brawls during the British Lions tours, their motto was one in, all in, when a fight broke out, so nobody got sent off or they'd all have to go off. Everything is closely monitored now though and nobody will get away with anything, so things are a lot cleaner in today's game.

It is more play acting in football that is the problem, players pretending to get fouled, or starting a bit of handbags so they can fall down trying to get an opposition player sent off, or Diego Costa a type player who likes to wind others up and then runs to the ref to grass them up to get them booked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm