Semi Finals (Play Offs)

Liviforever

Semi Finals (Play Offs)

Post by Liviforever on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm

We can sit back and enjoy seeing Utd and Pars kicking lumps out of one another for the honour of playing us in the Semi's, or we could've had they televised the games lol!  that privilege has been reserved for Semi finalists. Greggy

Anyway, what team would you put out for whoever faces us, and are we bothered who we get?

The Pars have proven themselves hardest to beat, but over 2 games Utd would've beaten us in GD, both times our away games haven't had us at our best but we'll have to stick with the stats anyway, so we'll have to up our game whoever we face.

I'd start Rafa and Robinson and the rest pretty much pick themselves. Alexander, Gallagher, Halkett, Lithgow, Byrne, Pittman, Mullin, Hardie, Miller.

Mullin is prob the only other one up for debate there, it could be Jacobs or Cadden, but I think Mullin has looked back on form and his crosses are vital.
Liviforever

Re: Semi Finals (Play Offs)

Post by Liviforever on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Just posted on another thread about Jack Hamilton's loan spell at Berwick Rangers, 8 goals in 16 appearances, might be worth having him on the bench for these play offs, we haven't any other options up front other than sticking midfielders on as strikers. We're only going to get one shot at this and if we desperately needed a goal I think it would be worth chucking Hamilton on alongside Miller and Hardie and going all out to get it. Just a thought.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah, hopefully they do exactly that & get a couple of their better players sent off & banned as well.

I don't think it matters too much who we get as over the season as you have pointed out, they both beat us head to head.

So no better time to right those wrongs whoever we face.

I just hope everyone keeps the whole season in perspective & if we don't win they appreciate the incredible season we have had. Even at the Brechin game first half & the Caley game there were a number of whingemongers complaining about how crap we were, one even moaned when Mullin was heading to the byeline to cross it in for the opener. They really get my goat, most especially because they are amongst the noise makers, you know that wee crowd that have missed most of the season but started reappearing when 2nd looked likely to happen. Maybe I do them a disservice, maybe they have been at the away games. But still, it bugs me when folk moan & whinge about it when things don't go quite to plan.

Also, they have been singing lately about "mind the gap" - well there is no gap now except for the gap between now & when we play again...so it is US that have to "mind the gap" now & make sure we don't go off the boil.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Have to admit I was getting a bit anxious against Brechin too, it was more of a relief than celebration when we scored. Never saw the point in berating players in the hope that being negative helps them play better. I've prob groaned a few times when Fox gave the ball away but I didn't shout abuse at him, I save that for match officials and opposition players/managers. Very Happy
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah, I agree. It was a little frustrating at the Brechin game, we didn't have the same urgency as normal, maybe the guys were a bit more concerned with not losing until they got the half time scores & realised United were losing.

If a player is clearly under performing then I have no issue with trying to get him to raise his game but I see no point whatsoever in moaning that a player is rubbish when he has barely had a chance to impose himself as happened when Mullin left the defender in his wake & then crossed for Pittman to score; was delighted that was the outcome given the comments of just before it.

LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Wasn't at the game yesterday but watched on Arabzone and the away end made a lot of noise the whole game, was brilliant to see/hear and gutted I couldn't be there. Take that kind of atmosphere into the play offs and hopefully it spurs the players on a bit; they definitely deserve the extra support.

As for who we play, I don't think it matters all that much, anyone can beat anyone at this end of the table and both obviously deserve to be there. Dunfermline are on better form though and our inability to beat them has me hoping they get beat, preferably injuring a few Utd players in the process, and drawing some suspensions.

Either way, I'm absolutely buzzing and plan to enjoy it no matter how far we get or how it ends. But if we do go all the way (I still don't think it's properly registered to me that we can get promoted), I don't think I'll be sober at all this summer.

As for the team, we can afford to shuffle the midfield about a bit which will definitely come in handy with the games being midweek/weekend, with the amount of work they all put in. We might go more defensive in the first leg and tire them out a bit more for the second leg, meaning we'd likely see Longridge and McMillan, something like:

Alexander; Lithgow, Halkett, Gallagher; Longridge, Byrne, Pittman, Jacobs, McMillan; Miller, Hardie

Meaning we'd have Mullin, Cadden and De Vita as extra options for the wings; and Robinson, Frizzell, and Thompson to mix things up in the middle. All of those players can add a more attacking threat as well if things aren't going our way. Honestly no idea if Hoppy will go defensive, on the other hand might use them playing extra games as a reason to go for it.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Our home form against both Utd & Dunfermline is pretty good, albeit the Pars have somehow managed draws against us, it is mainly our away form we have to get better, but looking at the last two games we have managed to reduce the defeats and have also played a lot better than in the first games. If we keep improving we could manage a draw away from home and we'd have an excellent chance of winning in our home fixture/

Hopefully we can replicate our early season Betfred cup form and keep these games tight, i'd def fancy us if it went to ET too, our having the week preparing should give us the adv fitness wise.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Liviforever wrote:Just posted on another thread about Jack Hamilton's loan spell at Berwick Rangers, 8 goals in 16 appearances, might be worth having him on the bench for these play offs, we haven't any other options up front other than sticking midfielders on as strikers. We're only going to get one shot at this and if we desperately needed a goal I think it would be worth chucking Hamilton on alongside Miller and Hardie and going all out to get it. Just a thought.

We have Dylan Mackin back as well don't we?
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:00 am

Durnford wrote:
Liviforever wrote:Just posted on another thread about Jack Hamilton's loan spell at Berwick Rangers, 8 goals in 16 appearances, might be worth having him on the bench for these play offs, we haven't any other options up front other than sticking midfielders on as strikers. We're only going to get one shot at this and if we desperately needed a goal I think it would be worth chucking Hamilton on alongside Miller and Hardie and going all out to get it. Just a thought.

Yeah, according to a well informed poster on P&B neither of them is allowed to play for us till after June, so that rules them out of the play offs. Oh well then, that'll be that.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 am

Liviforever wrote:
Durnford wrote:

Yeah, according to a well informed poster on P&B neither of them is allowed to play for us till after June, so that rules them out of the play offs. Oh well then, that'll be that.

Yes indeed the fateful "well informed" poster on P&B.

Arrow
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Durnford wrote:
Liviforever wrote:
Durnford wrote:

Yes indeed the fateful "well informed" poster on P&B.

Arrow

He's involved with QoS and is generally a good guy to ask about rules like this. Not quite the same kind of "well informed" as the guy who told us Byrne and Pittman were away to Falkirk.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Yeah I wasn't being sarcastic with my 'well informed'. Laughing

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Even then guys it hardly makes a difference.

On the plus side it means that Hardie will almost certainly be available to play and cant be pulled back by Sevco at the last minute.

Mackin probably has no confidence at the moment; he did well enough for us in the first half of the season but month of playing for a poor Brechin side is enough to take it out of anyone. Bringing on Frizzell or Robinson or Mullin would probably be a better option if you wanted to beef up the attack.

It could be a fairy tale end for Hamilton to come on and score the winner in extra time against Partick but lets face it; it ain't going to happen (or even better - Hamilton against Hamilton - can you imagine the Daily Record headline e.g Hamilton own goal? or Hamilton 0 Hamilton 1?).
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Just stick big bad John Hartson on for the last 5 mins and get a ball up to him. bom

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Liviforever wrote:Just stick big bad John Hartson on for the last 5 mins and get a ball up to him. bom

And Hopkins in midfield perhaps?

LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Injury watch - Andy Ryan subbed off in the first half.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Ashcroft red card, lovely stuff, injuries and suspensions mounting up.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Well Dunfermline are going to have been knackered after having to play with 10 men, and 0-0 is good if it stays like that, it'll make the 2nd leg an all out game too. Hopefully the 2nd leg will go to ET and whoever wins will be cream crackered when they play us over 2 legs.

Last edited by Liviforever on Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 pm

So that was Ashcroft sent off and Ryan and Williamson off injured. Means they could have 5 players out for the game on Friday.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm

My Pars mate described it as a real battle.

He thought the ref (Madden) had a stinker & red card was harsh... But it was exactly what we wanted. A battle with injuries & suspensions

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm

It means that both sides really have to throw everything at it on Friday; no sitting back and protecting a lead.

Even better if it goes to extra time Smile
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Thu May 03, 2018 4:21 pm

If I was a betting man Pittman to score the first goal would be worth a punt, either in the first leg or the 2nd, or maybe even both.

His record of scoring the first goal in big games is pretty decent.

2014-15 Petrofac cup final win against Alloa, Pitts scored the opening goal.

2016-17 season against Alloa opened the scoring in the game that won us the league One title.

2017-18 this season's game against Brechin, getting the first goal to secure 2nd place for the play offs.

Mon Scotty P, you can do it. cheers
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 pm

McManus puts the Pars in front
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Utd 0-1 Pars HT.

Utd yet to have a shot on target. Hopefully they can equalise and take it to ET.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 pm

My Pars mate is saying that they are well on top & it's a disappointing turn out from United fans.
Pars sold out their allocation

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:15 am