The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

U20s in the Challenge Cup

LiviLion
    LiviLion

U20s in the Challenge Cup Empty U20s in the Challenge Cup

Post by LiviLion Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

This should be a laugh. First round draw on Tuesday 26th at 1pm.

A total of 48 teams are involved - the 30 clubs from the Ladbrokes Championship, League 1 and League 2, the 12 Premiership Colt teams and three teams each from the Highland and Lowland League.
    Read more at https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-cup-r1-draw-next-tuesday/#JV02HpLJ7DXa81ev.99
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

U20s in the Challenge Cup Empty Re: U20s in the Challenge Cup

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

FIRST ROUND      Tuesday 14 or Wednesday 15 August 2018
    48 Clubs (24 ties)

10 clubs from Ladbrokes League 2
    10 clubs from Ladbrokes League 1
    10 clubs from Ladbrokes Championship
    3 clubs from the Scottish Highland Football League
    3 clubs from the Scottish Lowland Football League
    12 Colt teams from Ladbrokes Premiership

Going to be 2 teams from England joining the fun and games this season too.

SECOND ROUND Saturday 8 or Sunday 9 September 2018
    32 Clubs (16 ties)

2 clubs from Northern Ireland Football League (Crusaders & Coleraine)
    2 clubs from Welsh Premier League (The New Saints & Connah’s Quay Nomads)
    2 clubs from League of Ireland Premier Division (Bohemians & Bray Wanderers) 
    2 clubs from English National League (Sutton United & Boreham Wood) 
    24 winners from First Round

Just waiting on them inviting a couple of teams from France next season.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Worst case scenario is the 20s getting a Dundee United or Ross County in Round 1 - realistically, that could be double figures if the Championship side wanted it.

An away trip to Fraserburgh or Inverurie would be magic.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Afro wrote:Worst case scenario is the 20s getting a Dundee United or Ross County in Round 1 - realistically, that could be double figures if the Championship side wanted it.

Are you going to these games Afro?

I didn't go to our game against Celtic colts so I can't see me going to Livi colts games, I think it's a complete nonsense having them in this cup and haven't changed my mind now we're in the top flight and have a colts team playing. Completely disrespectful to the SPFL teams having to play them.

We've drawn Forfar at home, and i'm wondering how we can put this game on and not lose money doing so, John Ward justified hiking cup prices up for a game against a junior team and again in the play off games saying the cost of putting the game on forced him to charge these high prices to try and break even. So how exactly will he break even in this colts game?
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Afro wrote:Worst case scenario is the 20s getting a Dundee United or Ross County in Round 1 - realistically, that could be double figures if the Championship side wanted it.

I didn't go to our game against Celtic colts so I can't see me going to Livi colts games, I think it's a complete nonsense having them in this cup and haven't changed my mind now we're in the top flight and have a colts team playing. Completely disrespectful to the SPFL teams having to play them.

We've drawn Forfar at home, and i'm wondering how we can put this game on and not lose money doing so, John Ward justified hiking cup prices up for a game against a junior team and again in the play off games saying the cost of putting the game on forced him to charge these high prices to try and break even. So how exactly will he break even in this colts game?

Shouldn't be a problem costs wise any more than a standard uner 20s game would be.

A couple of stewards and someone to open a servery - job done.

At best Forfar will bring a couple of hundred and we might do the same. 14th August shouldn't require floodlights.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:45 pm

It isn't a standard U20's game though or it would be on the astro turf pitch behind the stadium. I went to some of the ones played inside the stadium a while back and all you had was some Trust members putting on tea and snacks etc, this will need to be run properly. Some folk manning turnstyles, ambulance services on the sidelines, officials, servery staff etc. It may be our colts but they're in a proper competition playing against SPFL clubs, you can't just run it like an U20's game, there will still be a cost putting it on and very little interest from our fans through the turnstiles. John Ward wont be able to hike prices up for this game thinking diehards will pay them regardless.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I think we'll still manage a gate of 400; maybe more if the prices are sensible. I'm tempted to go along not least because I usually enjoy a summer evening game (weather permitting)
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Liviforever wrote:

If I wasn't going on holiday I probably would've headed along given it's something to do - I'm dead against the overall inclusion of Colt teams in this competition given they're essentially a dry run for U20 sides in the league system. That said, it's probably the novelty factor that we're now big enough to be putting our youths in a national cup competition by virtue of being one of the best teams in the country. Enjoy it while it lasts and all that!

They could honestly open two turnstiles, and one servery and they'd be fine, IMO. No need to go offering hospitality and getting bars etc. open. No danger Forfar fans are taking this seriously either.

ETA: Surely one of the main points of getting an artificial surface in the stadium is to eventually get rid of the field turf given it's age? If we're struggling with costs for a Challenge Cup tie then surely a normal U20s game is no different, given they have to be open to spectators (correct me if I'm wrong).

IIRC Inverness literally threw the gates open at their U20 game vs Arbroath in this competition last season. Not sure how it works cost wise but I imagine neither side really had an appetite for it - same again here?
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Would imagine we could get away with only opening half of the main stand tbh, even if it was against our first team Forfar would be struggling to bring 100 midweek, and I can't see anything over 200 Livi fans heading down, even that seems like a high figure.

South side of the main stand open along with the servery there, 1 or 2 stewards, don't bother with segregation, shouldn't really cost us any more than a friendly would.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am