Accies v Livi (Tues 7.45pm ko)

Liviforever

Accies v Livi (Tues 7.45pm ko)

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Further to various reports concerning our home Betfred League Cup tie v Livingston, on Tuesday 17th July, we can confirm that this is going ahead at New Douglas Park, kick off 7.45pm.
Admission is Adults £10; under 18s & over 65s £5.
Season tickets are not valid for this game.

Good prices for this game.
Bertie Bassett

Re: Accies v Livi (Tues 7.45pm ko)

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Yep, Hamilton have got it right.

Sadly I’ll be way up north on Tuesday.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am

I suspect we're looking at approaching this game more as a pre-season "friendly; and not being too bothered about the result.

I wonder if we're going to have any trialists?
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 am

Going to stick my neck out after our win & their loss to say that they will want it more to restore their pride.

Accies 2 Livi 1
LiviLion

Post by LiviLion on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am

Not sure we'll get a signing in before this so think we'll go with the same 11 that played against Airdrie.

1-1, Livi to take the bonus point.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

Early days and I think we could take all 3 points with them not being up to speed yet, will be good playing a Premiership team but not sure it will tell us much at this stage, i'd presume Accies will get a lot better once the league starts.

I'm still a bit wary of us being caught on the ball as we play it out of our own half, other than that I was quite happy on how we played against Airdrie. Same again without the defensive mistake would be good.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Still 0-0 going into last 5 mins... both experienced strikers have been subbed & Kelly doesn’t save pens.

Bad feeling we won’t win the extra point...
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Still 0-0 going into last 5 mins... both experienced strikers have been subbed & Kelly doesn’t save pens.

Bad feeling we won’t win the extra point...

Does now. lol!

Another game where we learnt a few things, and came away with the points, well 2 this time. A lot better defensively and Kelly is doing well in goals, Lamie did well in place of Lithgow, and Gallagher was really good.

We're solid in defence and still got that bite in midfield with Pittman and Byrne snapping into tackles and winning balls, our fitness was already showing to be better than Hamilton's too, and that's where I have a criticism. The last 20 mins Hamilton looked tired and were making slack passes in defence, but we didn't have the players to take advantage, Lee Miller is a great target man but isn't going to run through with the ball, and Kenny Miller plays too deep, more like a CM than a striker, it was crying out for Sibbald to come on and have a go at them, but we left it too late. Even then he almost scored right at the death.

The pen shoot out was exciting though, and the boy doing a Jonathan Watson impersonation their tannoy  was FAF. Good seeing young Hamilton getting a run out too, and scoring his pen.

All in all the extra point we got puts us 2nd and more or less knocks Hamilton out, all to play for against Annan now, really looking forward to that game.

We're crying out for a winger and another striker, but with Hardie still to come in I'm not too worried, he'll make a huge difference to our attack when he comes in, and i'm quite happy with how the rest of the team are shaping up, just need Miller to learn when he should come off as well, he gets to about 70 mins and starts becoming a hindrance.
orco

Post by orco on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 am

I'm wondering if maybe playing the two roles is not going to work out for Miller. He did very little tonight apart from give the ball away a few times. There were flashes of what he is capable of with a couple of clever passes but as you say Lfl he sat too deep letting the others do the work. Sibbald should have been on much earlier. I'd even think of starting him in place of Cadden. But it's early days and they are all still learning.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 am

Said from the outset, player manager doesn’t work - even Dalglish & Souness (both vastly superior players to Kenny Miller) worked that out quickly.

Dalglish gave it about a season, scored the goal that clinched the title & then focused on management & he had the best team in the UK if not Europe or the World at the time. Unfortunately they couldn’t test themselves properly against the best the rest had to offer due to the ban imposed after Heysel.

I don't think Souness even lasted the full season, he might have but I’m not certain one way or the other.

Troy

Post by Troy on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am

Not the best of games by most accounts but nevertheless another good runout for the team.Dont know why but it still has a pre-season feel to it at the moment.This Miller situation slightly concerns me at the moment but as some have said already the jury is still out on his role and time will tell wether his dual roll was a good decision or not.Cant remember the last time we won a penalty shoot out cause im getting old but well done to the lads fur seeing it through LOL.T lol!
orco

Post by orco on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 am

We won a penalty shoot out against Partick in this competition last year. You're no half getting old Troy. Very Happy

We did lose our next one though against New Saints away in the Challenge Cup.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm

2 things I've noticed about Miller's P/M job, he is influencing the game directing play from the pitch, which is probably taking away from him getting involved more, and when he gets the ball he's more a Barry back pass Ferguson type of player. playing ultra safe rather than taking a chance to attack. This is slowing us down a bit in any chances we get to counter attack.

The second is he's dropping deeper than I expected and not playing as a striker supporting Lee Miller up front.

The playing it ultra safe may not be a bad thing in the Premiership right enough, his experience in game management will be vital to get us points here and there, i'd like to see us breaking quickly though, Accies were a lot more direct and quicker on the counter than us last night. And they know exactly how to get enough points to stay up.
orco

Post by orco on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Liviforever wrote:2 things I've noticed about Miller's P/M job, he is influencing the game directing play from the pitch, which is probably taking away from him getting involved more, and when he gets the ball he's more a Barry back pass Ferguson type of player. playing ultra safe rather than taking a chance to attack. This is slowing us down a bit in any chances we get to counter attack.

The second is he's dropping deeper than I expected and not playing as a striker supporting Lee Miller up front.

The playing it ultra safe may not be a bad thing in the Premiership right enough, his experience in game management will be vital to get us points here and there, i'd like to see us breaking quickly though, Accies were a lot more direct and quicker on the counter than us last night. And they know exactly how to get enough points to stay up.

Agree! Who's going to tell him though? Rolling Eyes
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm

orco wrote:
Liviforever wrote:2 things I've noticed about Miller's P/M job, he is influencing the game directing play from the pitch, which is probably taking away from him getting involved more, and when he gets the ball he's more a Barry back pass Ferguson type of player. playing ultra safe rather than taking a chance to attack. This is slowing us down a bit in any chances we get to counter attack.

Hopefully they go over the game and look for things to improve and it will be discussed. I'm not against him playing, his experience in the Premiership will be an asset, just some things need tweaked and worked on.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Liviforever wrote:
orco wrote:

Hopefully they go over the game and look for things to improve and it will be discussed. I'm not against him playing, his experience in the Premiership will be an asset, just some things need tweaked and worked on.

Always think having a player/manager on the pitch often undermines the authority of the team captain and presents a confusing double message for the rest of the players.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Durnford wrote:
Liviforever wrote:
orco wrote:

Always think having a player/manager on the pitch often undermines the authority of the team captain and presents a confusing double message for the rest of the players.

Not sure it's any different from having the manager giving instructions from the sidelines in that regard D, just puts him in a position where players find it harder to ignore him, they can't say they were too far away to hear him or miss him signalling them. Laughing

My observation is more to do with him focussing on giving instructions and guiding play to the detriment of him playing football and getting himself into positions to help us on the pitch.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Exactly, LF, he’s doing one thing to the detriment of the other. That’s why it doesn’t work unless your name is Roy Race & you place for Melchester Rovers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 am