The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

Livi v Berwick (Mustn't Lose Game)

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi v Berwick (Mustn't Lose Game) Empty Livi v Berwick (Mustn't Lose Game)

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Win this or draw and win the pen shoot out and we've won the group and are into the knock out stages. Otherwise we're relying on Accies to beat Airdrie so we win the group, or for them to draw and win their pen shoot out.

Anyway, it's in our own hands and we're playing the group whipping boy's, who have conceded 11 goals in 3 games so far, and have yet to score a goal. Not only should we win this game we should be sticking 4 or 5 goals past them. It really couldn't have went much better for us in the order of who we played in this group.

To appease Bertie a bit i'll also say we need to go into this game full of determination to put them to the sword and not just think all we have to do is turn up to get the points.

My prediction for this is 6-0 Livi, Hamilton 2, Pittman 1, L Miller 1, Robinson 1, Lithgow 1.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Livi v Berwick (Mustn't Lose Game) Empty Re: Livi v Berwick (Mustn't Lose Game)

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Glad to see you’re taking this one seriously & not assuming it’s a forgone conclusion... oh wait...

Agree with everything you say except the number of goals... we ought to beat them by 4; we won’t - we will struggle again to get more than 1.

I’m going to go completely against the grain for me & say 2-1 Livi - after going 2 up we’ll lose our way & be hanging on at the end.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 am

I said the players shouldn't think they just need to turn up, never said anything about myself not being confident. If Hamilton can put 4 past them then i'm being conservative with my prediction.

So I say 6, you say 2, we'll meet in the middle and win 4-0 then. Cool
    Lothiangamer
    Lothiangamer

Post by Lothiangamer Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am

After watching the highlights of the Berwick- Hamilton game, #i lost count of the chances Hamilton had. They should have got easily a few more....we should get at least 4 and not be surprised if we get more.

But this is football.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 am

That last line says it all for me, well said LG
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:26 am

Yep 12-0 Livi. bounce

What's our highest win btw 8-0? We've a good chance of making a new record, but we'll prob feel sorry for them once we hit 5 and take it easy.

...                          Kelly

...    Gallagher         Halkett       Lithgow

.Kaja     Byrne    Pittman     Sibbald    Cadden

...                Hamilton     L Miller

That line up would see us running riot.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

You may be right but unfortunately I suspect K Miller will start & play until he starts getting in the way.

Record win is 8-0 away to Stranraer; but the record home win is 7-1 against Clyde; so 7-0 would set a new home record.... however it will not happen because at the moment we are not clinical enough.
    Lothiangamer
    Lothiangamer

Post by Lothiangamer Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am

To be honest none of the sides we have played in the group have been clinical finishers enough and they still managed to put 3 or 4 past Berwick.

Maybe we'll hit 7 before Kenny starts getting in the way Smile
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am

Airdrie also managed 3 against Annan but we only got 1. As you said earlier, this is football, which basically means anything could happen in any game, which is one of the reasons we enjoy it as much as we do.

I am confident we are good enough to win but 1-0 wins the group so I’m not expecting a big win, if it happens then it’s a bonus for us to see a few goals.

TBH I’d prefer we saved the goals until the following week lol!
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:02 am

For the most part teams seem to be approaching this competition as an extension of the pre-season friendly and I'm not sure we're any exception.

Berwick seem to be caught up in the Brechin syndrome of last season where they can play okay but cant buy a win.

People have been using phrases like "must win" and my argument is that this is only important as it helps build team morale. I don't think we're too bothered about progressing in the competition but if it gives some fringe players a chance or enables new players to get used to playing in the team then so be it.

Results wise I'm not too bothered; I'd like to see Hamilton get a goal; for our defence to keep a clean sheet (with no scare moments) the team to play well as a cohesive unit and for no injuries. Obviously that means I'm hoping for a win but, with the Celtic game just over the horizon, the manner of play is possibly more important.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm

I doubt John Ward is telling them he's not bothered about us progressing in the Betfred cup, we made a decent wad last season in this comp.

We have had the chance to try some stuff out though, which is mostly why I like this new set up on the league cup, I think it is a great way to get ready for the league starting. We're def wanting to progress though, and playing a few lower league teams gives you the chance to experiment a little, but some of those lower league teams have handed out lessons to the 'bigger teams' taking it a bit too far with their experimenting.

Agree with Lg though, nobody was great scoring goals against us but have all manager to put plenty past Berwick. Their heads dropped in those highlights against Accies and they looked totally demoralised, all it would take is 2 goals against them and I reckon we could go on and score as many as we want after that.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Should manage to get to this one, only really interested because I've not been to Rose's ground before, and I'll be abroad for the Celtic game and I need my fix.

3-0 Livi.

Last edited by LiviLion on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:12 pm

It was strange wee ground, pitch looked small, it wasn’t crowded but seemed quite well attended although a lot of folk where I was standing were standing in circle talking to each other... they could have done that in a park somewhere & saved whatever entry fee they paid.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 am

Lee Miller and Craig Sibbald are both doubts for this game, strains apparently. Should still have more than enough to win the game without them, prob be Kenny Miller starting up front with Jack Hamilton and Keaghan coming in for Sibbs.

Hopefully Kaja will get a game, quite looking forward to seeing him play.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 am

Just read the prog. Our record against them isn’t great with 50% of the games ending all square but we have lost 20% & won 30% - so we usually don’t lose but tend to draw.

Goals scored is 13-11 in our favour which isn’t great either. Last 5 games that featured a winning team were all single goal victory margins, the last game being a 3-2 defeat.

But all in all we SHOULD win relatively comfortably... (that’s as positive as I can be I think)
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah they've really gone to shit this season and are looking cannon fodder.

If they're sensible they'll just park the bus going for a frustrating 0-0 draw, or trying to sneak a 1-0 win. Same as we should be doing next week against Celtic.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. I thought we were vastly improved on last week; much quicker in our play. Furthermore Berwick were much better than anyone on here gave them credit for, causing us some problems at set pieces.

Miller was much better this week, playing as an enganche as the Argies would say. Two very good assists for two very similar goals.

I thought Kaja was tremendous & we should have given him the ball more often. Lee Miller would have thrived on his crosses - especially in his heyday - Cadden got himself involved & looks to have bulked up a bit - Knox also looked like he has become a young man since the wee boy I saw last time he got near the 1st team; his performance after coming on was easily the best I’ve seen from him.

Crane impressed again, Byrne & Pittman were as we have come to expect. Gallagher, Halkett & Saunders were caught out a couple of times & would have been punished by a top level side but also made some glorious diagonal long passes. Hamilton took his goal well but his shots need more power.

McMillan also took his goal well. Robinson was effective. Kelly was mostly untroubled - the wee spell of pressure in the 1st half being our only real cause for concern.

Hilarious moment in the 1st half when the ball went out for a throw-in and Miller was right there shouting “Ours! Ours!” & taking the throw before the Lino had a chance to disagree.

Well done lads, let’s see who we get in the draw.

BTW - Is Lee Miller injured?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Liviforever wrote:Lee Miller and Craig Sibbald are both doubts for this game, strains apparently. Should still have more than enough to win the game without them, prob be Kenny Miller starting up front with Jack Hamilton and Keaghan coming in for Sibbs.

Hopefully Kaja will get a game, quite looking forward to seeing him play.

Bertie Bassett wrote:Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. I thought we were vastly improved on last week; much quicker in our play. Furthermore Berwick were much better than anyone on here gave them credit for, causing us some problems at set pieces.

Miller was much better this week, playing as an enganche as the Argies would say. Two very good assists for two very similar goals.

I thought Kaja was tremendous & we should have given him the ball more often. Lee Miller would have thrived on his crosses - especially in his heyday - Cadden got himself involved & looks to have bulked up a bit - Knox also looked like he has become a young man since the wee boy I saw last time he got near the 1st team; his performance after coming on was easily the best I’ve seen from him.

Crane impressed again, Byrne & Pittman were as we have come to expect. Gallagher, Halkett & Saunders were caught out a couple of times & would have been punished by a top level side but also made some glorious diagonal long passes. Hamilton took his goal well but his shots need more power.

McMillan also took his goal well. Robinson was effective. Kelly was mostly untroubled - the wee spell of pressure in the 1st half being our only real cause for concern.

Hilarious moment in the 1st half when the ball went out for a throw-in and Miller was right there shouting “Ours! Ours!” & taking the throw before the Lino had a chance to disagree.

Well done lads, let’s see who we get in the draw.

BTW - Is Lee Miller injured?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Went much the same as last week, early goal then huffed and puffed trying to get a 2nd. The substitutions made all the difference though, quick sharp passing opened them up a few times and then we got a deserved 2nd goal.

Made no odds in the end because Accies stopped Airdrie from getting 9 points, but another goal would've given us a def seeded place. As it stands we're tied with St Johnstone on 11 points and 4 goals in GD, so dunno how they're going to separate us if ICT beat Hearts and take the 3rd seeded place to leave just one left.

Def needing Hardie back in, we're a bit light up front without him, look good enough for cover in defence and midfield though, Kaja and Sibbald add a good attacking option in there too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:27 pm

In terms of not killing them off yes it did but we were better than last week & despite conceding a 2nd Berwick were better than Annan played last week.

StJ will probably get the nod ahead of us as they will have scored more goals
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Maybe not the cricket score that some had anticipated but nevertheless another win for the Lions in what is predomintly being still felt like pre season games.Good to see so many new players getting a run out and hopefully integrating themselves into our way of playing.As has been said the real stuff starts next week and thanks to the SPL for that start.More on that later in the week though but well done to Kenny and the boys for giving us at least a wee bit of momentum going into the start of what is surely going to be a demanding season for us with nothing to lose. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am