Livi v Hibs

Bertie Bassett

Re: Livi v Hibs

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Anyone else notice the irony? Hibs scored from a scramble in the box following a long throw.
Both of ours were more about individual brilliance following a short throw and cross in the case of Byrne & good build up in getting the ball to Pittman.

On that Hibs goal, the ball just wouldn’t fall for us to get a clearance on it.

Troy

Post by Troy on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:19 am

Good god ma heids still buzzin after that.The preverbial coupon buster but a thoughrally deservd three points for Livi yesterday.Solid performances all over the park.2 brilliantly taken goal from us after the goalmouth scramble that led to them taking the lead.Byrne and Menga the standouts for me,the latter having a debut to remember.Strong and pacey though looked a bit knackered before being subbed.Most of the Hibs fans i spoke to after the game were understably dissapointed but were magnanimous in defeat and wished us well for the rest of the season.All in all a terrific day for us although talk of Europe a tad premature i feel.Nevertheless we move on with a kind of opptomism i dared not to think about.Massive well done to Gay Davie and the lads.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 am

Troy wrote:Massive well done to Gay Davie and the lads.

News shocker = Troy "outs" David Martindale.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am

Not much I can say that hasn't been said already; although what a permanently angry chubby gnome Lennon really is; right from the off; seemed to be told to sit down twice by the fourth official.

On Dolly Menga I though he seemed to start slowly, being out-jumped for virtually every header etc. but once he settled; what a player. He fairly short, compared to the defence but bulk and fairly low centre of gravity means that he virtually never managed to get pushed off the ball. Once he's fully settled into the side he will be some player.

One of the commonly unsung heroes must be Robinson; (will he ever be allowed to stay on the field for 90 minutes) work his socked off for every minute he's on the field.

After all this and with both Hardie and Sibbald predicted as being back for the Hamilton name will they waltz back into the team or will they have to take their place on the bench. Seems crazy to suggest leaving Hardie out of the starting eleven but Menga; Hamilton and Robinson have all proved that they can perform at this level.

For Sibbald; well Keaghan played well; perhaps not as good as he can but that might have been in part to being out-shone by Byrne and Pittman.

Gary has a real problem in choosing the best eleven but what a problem to have.

Troy

Post by Troy on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:44 am

Sorry guys. Of course i meant well done to Gary Davie and the lads yesterday.Bloody hangovers yr just cannea trust them.Apologies Mr Martindale.Lol T. Rolling Eyes
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:37 pm

orco wrote:We must be one of the luckiest teams ever. Every time we win it's because the other team had their worst performance for ages. Rolling Eyes

Yeah it's amazing how many teams have off days when they play us. Laughing

Looking good so far but a long way to go yet. Still optimistic of us staying up though, and quietly confident we can do similar to last season and maybe even push for a top 6 place. Doesn't matter how many games we win nobody really takes us seriously, just like last season, and that suits us fine. #stayingundertheradar

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Seen the clip of Dolly Menga dancing and singing posted by Callum Carson.

Actually although Shaun implied it had be him celebrating the Livi win it a bit more complex than that.

As many of you will be aware the team meet up for a pre-match snack at Toni Macaroni's. It is also a tradition that every new player sings a song solo in front of the assembled squad. Some pick a place to the side of the tables perhaps not visible to the rest of the restaurant. Dolly by contrast chose to stand at the top of the stair singing away at the top of his voice - the dancing was also not in the script.

Spare a thought for poor Bobby Burns, the eighteen year-old was cr@ping himself searching his mobile phone for lyrics for a song he could sing and then realising he had to follow that act....

Incidentally as far as I know only one player has ever refused point blank to perform the initiation - one Kenny Miller - evidently not a team player...

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 am

Typical Sportscene coverage yesterday - spent almost half the program fawning over the 1-nil scoreline at Parkhead when there were far more interesting games in the league. At the very least the Hearts game should have got more coverage for goals alone.

When they finally deem to show our highlights the "commentator" obviously is in the huff for not being chosen for the "big" game and chips in with one liners like "its nothing more than they deserve" when Hibs finally force the ball over the line.

As for the post match roundup they added lines like "that pitch is to be a great leveller throughout the season" and "the home side will be the only team to benefit from that pitch". Well for Byrne's goal the pitch certainly didn't seem to have anything to do with it, he dribbled passed two defenders and for Pittman's goal okay one of their defenders did end up on the deck but so did Lithgow for their goal.

More importantly though they seem to be talking like every grass pitch plays exactly the same; three years ago our pitch cut up really badly so that by November it was rutted and with bald patches all over the place. Also I've been to a game at dens park where the pitch was so heavy that the ball would land in a puddle and stop dead. To listen to them you've think that grass pitches were some type of nirvana.

Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Don't forget the old 'Livi play in a certain way, lets just call it physical' or other words to that affect. They just can't give us any credit for being a decent team. Sutherland in particular can't wait to mention the pellets 20 times, but at least he's moved on from his wee glib bit of pish saying it'll be a long hard season for Livi.

Canny wait to see what shite they'll come up with when we pump Hibs on a grass pitch.

Utter nonsense that the pitch stops you playing quickly and being able to run with the ball, Dolly ripped them a new one a few times running past a Hibs player with the ball. I'll admit it should give us an advantage playing on it every other week but not as much as they fannies are saying, if Hubs can't manage to adapt then that their tough luck, a good team should be able to play on it and win. I'll wager it's better than Killies pitch too, that thing looks word thin and got one of their own player red carded when the ball stuck on it when he went into a tackle last week.

Anyway, feck em, I watch the iplayer so I don't have to listen to their pish on other games, I FW past the OF game but made the mistake of listening to them after our game. Really should've known better.

The good thing about the nonsense everyone spouts about Livi's playing style is they expect a battle, and underestimate how good our players are, also helps motivate our players when they keep reading the same nonsense as last season about them being agricultural, and not giving them any credit for a good performance.
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:53 pm

They at least said we deserved the win...but they spoke as if we have been playing on the pitch for years to have an advantage because of it.

However, I still don’t like it & it looks a much poorer surface than Hamilton have got & I don’t understand why that should be the case.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:56 pm

Some good articles on Livi and our Hibs win. Shaun and Scott getting deserved recognition too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45395930

www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16683765.livingston-2-hibernian-1-scott-pittman-revels-being-on-the-road-to-premiership-pastures-new/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/first-premiership-goal-dream-livingston-13185841

Downside of this is other team will be looking at them now too, would also expect Craig Halkett to be on the Scouts radar. We'd better all really enjoy this season with the team we have, I suspect a few of them will get their much deserved moves to bigger and better things next season. At least I hope they all stay with us just now, we've all been on one hell of a ride together, lets see it out and see how high we can climb this season. cheers .
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am

Interesting that the BBC reporter was their match commentator and he is much more complimentary in his article and his match report(there is a link to the report in the article). The only thing I would take issue with on the match report is the suggestion that the pitch hampered Boyle’s pace...because it didn’t affect Menga’s pace in the slightest.

Apart from that it’s not a bad report on the game.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Maybe Menga is even quicker on grass pitches, he'll be like Usain Bolt in our game against Hearts.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Liviforever wrote:Maybe Menga is even quicker on grass pitches, he'll be like Usain Bolt in our game against Hearts.

Not to worried about Hearts to be honest; I find it quite amusing just how wound up the likes of the OF; Hibs and Aberdeen are that they are there. I'd be happier to beat sevco and have Gerrard's face tripping him even more.

Incidentally I've been looking at Dundee's schedule and with:

Away - Sevco & Hamilton
Home - Hibs & Kilmarnock

It's not totally beyond the realms of possibility that they'll still be minus any points when they visit us. Can you imagine?

affraid
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I find similarities between Hearts fans and Falkirk ones, and can see it ending in tears for them too.

It's good there is a team up there giving Celtic a run for their money though, I doubt very much they can hold off Celtic all season but it makes it a bit more interesting.
Hearts are there to be brought down though, same as Hibs, Sevco and Celtic, my burning ambition is for us to finally beat Celtic, the only current SPFL club in our history that remains undefeated against us. If there is one squad of Livi players who can finally do it, it is this one.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Liviforever wrote:I find similarities between Hearts fans and Falkirk ones, and can see it ending in tears for them too.

It's good there is a team up there giving Celtic a run for their money though, I doubt very much they can hold off Celtic all season but it makes it a bit more interesting.
Hearts are there to be brought down though, same as Hibs, Sevco and Celtic, my burning ambition is for us to finally beat Celtic, the only current SPFL club in our history that remains undefeated against us. If there is one squad of Livi players who can finally do it, it is this one.

So let me get this straight - you're saying there's something the current team could do that the team of 2001/02 never achieved?

Laughing

I know what you mean though - the fighting spirit running through the entire side never ceases to amaze me.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Durnford wrote:
Liviforever wrote:I find similarities between Hearts fans and Falkirk ones, and can see it ending in tears for them too.

So let me get this straight - you're saying there's something the current team could do that the team of 2001/02 never achieved?

Laughing

I know what you mean though - the fighting spirit running through the entire side never ceases to amaze me.

Laughing

Indeed, this group of players just keep pulling off great results, and I have to admit, as much as I loved the team that got us 3rd place and hold them up as our best ever (till another equals that feat, or even surpasses it) I absolutely love watching this group of players and the effort they put in. Also, their togetherness and the enjoyment they get from playing shines from them and transfers to the stands. Just watch the faces of the likes of Halkett looking at Byrne after he scores, and the 3 players warming up as Byrne passes them running behind the goals.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Liviforever wrote:
Durnford wrote:

Laughing

Laughing

Indeed, this group of players just keep pulling off great results, and I have to admit, as much as I loved the team that got us 3rd place and hold them up as our best ever (till another equals that feat, or even surpasses it) I absolutely love watching this group of players and the effort they put in. Also, their togetherness and the enjoyment they get from playing shines from them and transfers to the stands. Just watch the faces of the likes of Halkett looking at Byrne after he scores, and the 3 players warming up as Byrne passes them running behind the goals.

Just wish more people in Livingston felt the same and got off their sofas on a Saturday afternoon to see the boys.

Durnford

Post by Durnford on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Incidentally spotted this:

Obviously as its Chris Sutton its Celtic centric but even so am still amazed Byrne isn't there but half a dozen over paid prima-donna's are - I mean Brown FFS.

Still good to see some recognition for Pittman and Gallagher even if both are out of position.
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Pittman and Halkett got in the BBC team of the week too, I was also surprised Byrne wasn't in there.

Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Liviforever wrote:
Durnford wrote:

Laughing

Laughing

Yep, your paragraph there is exactly right, noticed it last season & it’s back now that Miller is out of the picture. I’m convinced they are as relieved as the rest of us that he’s gone because they all seem to be enjoying it again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 am