The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Livi v St Johnstone

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi v St Johnstone Empty Livi v St Johnstone

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Ok my optimistic approach didn't work last week so back to the Killie pessimism one of not giving us a hope in hell of winning this game, and seeing if we pull off a nice wee surprise to get all 3 points. Laughing

Tbh i'd be happy with a draw here, St Johnstone are a tough nut to crack, I think we should be going into this one with an approach to not losing rather than trying to win, and above all not taking chances and leaving ourselves open at the back. Then if we get a goal from a set piece or counter attack it's a nice bonus. Back to what we do best here, making it a nightmare for opposition players playing against us, closing them down and giving them no room to play, and throwing bodies on the line of fire at the back.

Haven't a clue about who's fit and who's injured now, Pittman and Lawson both went off injured against St Mirren, Dolly is meant to be close to being back, and Raffa seems fully fit for reserve games but isn't getting a first team game, although he did make the bench last week, Tiffoney may also be fit enough to play but seems a bit fragile just now.

Byrne will be back though so that's good news, boosts our walking wounded squad. I'd prefer Odoffin starting to Brown too, although I think they play on different wings, maybe Raffa going in as LWB and Hakeem on the right?
    orco
    orco

Livi v St Johnstone Empty Re: Livi v St Johnstone

Post by orco Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I feel like St Johnstone are our Dunfermline this season. Can't seem to get a point from them and narrow defeats.
    Brown hasn't impressed me yet. He cannae heid a baw which I put as essential for a defender. Wish Lammie was fit.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, we’re back to not knowing where our next win is coming from & unable to foresee one anytime soon.

We should be safe but the worry is the gap being closed end a little bit before the split because the last 5 games against the bottom half - while all are theoretically winnable, they are also eminently losable.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Its ridiculous that i find that im bracing myself for the return of that clown John Beaton to Almondvale so soon after his debacle on his last visit here.Ive never been so angry after a match for many a year although i feel my rant at him post match was fully justified.Personally i reckon the only way we will take something from this match agaist a decent Saints team will be not to put ourselves in a position for him to make a call because we all know which way that would invariably go.As for our current position i feel the teams round about us ie at the bottom will probably help us reach our goal sooner or later without being over optimistic.As some have suggested i sincerely hope that the lads havent downed tools and give us a barnstorming end that this season surely deserves.Clinical up front and strong through the spine of the team for the remainder.Cmon Livi you know that you can.Good luck!!!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Terrific win today. I thought we were the better side throughout. Even the BBC radio guy (possibly Allan Preston but I’m not sure) said we played some good stuff. We did but sometimes we were also playing hoof it. However, we got the job done. I thought we were unfortunate to go behind as we were on top but they got the rub of the green when the ball fell kindly to their scorer. Once they went ahead I thought our heads dropped for 5 or 10 mins but we gradually took control again. Brilliant cross from Lithgow for Halkett to bullet in a header & then half time came as we were putting them under pressure.

Great start to the second half with Robbo clipping over another excellent cross & Sibbald timing his jump to perfection to nod it home at the back post. Glad he has grabbed himself an important goal because until then I thought he was our weakest link today.

Excellent ending too with Lawson chasing down a ball he had no right to get & firing over the low cross for Pittman to smack into the net.

Kelly had a quiet afternoon despite conceding the first goal.
    GHL were largely secure although Lithgow looked dodgy at times.
    Brown is not a left back but stuck to his task until his injury & Odofin seemed to fill the gap well.
    Erskine has more skill than I gave him credit for & worked hard in midfield supporting Robbo & defending too.
    Jacobs played well but not as well as he can play.
    Sibbald seemed off the pace until he scored & then did well until Byrne replaced him & did fine.
    Pittman - perpetual motion man. Just keeps going, I think he is one of those guys who is able to match the level he is playing at, I honestly believe he would perform well at international level because he would up his level again to the level required. Delighted he scored again after a long barren run.
    Lawson played his best game in a Livi shirt IMO - fully deserved his MotM award - matched Pittman for his constant movement both defensively & supporting the attack. He had no right getting the ball at the end to set up Pittman’s goal. Keep it up Steve you have shown us you have the talent.
    Robbo worked his socks off as usual, up front & then in midfield once Hardie replaced Erskine.
    Hardie still not looking as sharp as he was pre winter break but I think he is better in a pairing rather than as a lone forward.

Teams below us lost so once again we have strengthened our position after a bad result last week.

Well done lads, more performances like this & we will have nothing to fear in the run in.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Thought Keags was doing a Liam Fox type performance, some good bits but then gave the ball away with slack passing, not his best game, still a legend though so he gets a pass.

Brown was prob the weakest link for me though, got skinned for pace every time down the wing, and it led to the corner they scored from too. Until then they had done nothing that threatened our goal. Agree that we thoroughly deserved the win, we started well and Lawson had a good shot hitting the post, controlled the game up to their goal and finished the half the better team, Lithgow's cross was superb and well headed in by Halkett.

Glad Sibbald got his goal, it will do his confidence the world of good. Pittman's goal was exactly what we need to keep doing, that type of ball was what he got from Mullin and both he and Keaghan got on the end of them in the play offs.

Greatr win, but kinda annoying that we didn't get 3 points last week too, we'd have only been a point behind Hibs. Still, just have to try and not think about that and keep on looking to take one game at a time and see where we finish.
    We're pretty much safe now and wont finish any lower than 9th.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am

Agree regarding Brown but in the first half he had no protection in front of him & he is not a left back judging by yesterday. Yes, he gave away the corner that brought their goal but he got back to block the cross at source after being skinned, so he actually did his job, they scored from the corner because IMO our defender got wrestled to the ground in what looked like a clear foul to me & we failed to react to the ball dropping free to the scorer. So I don’t blame Brown for that at all. He doesn’t seem to lack pace going forward & can whip in a good cross but he gets sucked in too close & can’t turn quickly. He showed good pace getting back to block the cross.

I thought Sibbald was poor in the first half in fact about 25 mins in I was thinking we should sub him but he did superbly to score with a salmon-like leap and good finish & he grew in confidence after that.

Lawson’s shot off the post would have been a superb goal had it gone in, he looked powerful & full of running & skill all game yesterday. Easily his best game for us.

There are still enough points available for us to be caught but it would take title winning form from all 3 below us, so I tentatively agree that we are probably safe.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am

I'm not a Brown fan. I've probably been spoiled by watching our excellent full backs over the last two seasons. My main gripe is that he cannae heid a baw which for me is a prerequisite for a centre back.  He needs to learn how to time it so that it bullets off his forehead a la Lithgow and Halkett not plop off the top of his head into the air. I'm trying to give him a chance but he really isn't cutting it for me.
    I'm a Sibbald fan. He's been unfortunate not to have had a run in the team.  He has a good footballing brain, a fair bit of skill and is a lot tougher than he looks.
    I stand corrected on Lawson. I have not been impressed up till now but his last couple of performances have been excellent.
    Keaghan's form has dropped recently but he was so good before that I'll forgive him for that.
    We will sorely miss Gallagher and Halkett next season.  Here's hoping our scouts find decent replacements for them.
    That win yesterday was pleasing given the closeness of our previous encounters with St Johnstone where we got null points.
    So,  just Aberdeen and Hibs next then. Nae bother. Laughing

PS I wonder how our Dolly is getting on.  I miss his unpredictability, I think.  Razz
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:48 am

Wow.Just about recovered from that yesterday.Terrific performance from the Lions although i must admit i felt the worst when they scored first.Should have known better with these lads.Thoughrally deserved their victory against a normally decent Saints team.Yep Lawson for me the pick of the bunch although plaudits throughout for well deserved win.Also good to see that were not talking about dodgy officials for a change.Actually thought they did ok in what prehand was going to be a difficult game for us.Saw Dolly jump out of his seat when the third goal went in and he looked ok to me.Hopefully not to far before we get these boys back in the team.Any way we are nearly there and congratulations to Gary Davie and all the lads for a job well done.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:40 pm

We are probably not talking about the officials because we won regardless of their attempts to award Saints fouls every time they fell over but award us very few fouls when our players were pulled, pushed & wrestled to the ground.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 am

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that Bertie. Beaton is an awful referee.  He is an arrogant twat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am