2019/20 Season's Expectations

Liviforever
Liviforever

2019/20 Season's Expectations Empty 2019/20 Season's Expectations

Post by Liviforever on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:54 pm

A bit early I know, we've not seen any results from pre season friendlies yet, though they don't really tell you much anyway, and there are meant to be a few more signing targets that Holt is interested in. However there isn't much else to talk about pre season on here, so may as well get some chat going on what expectations we have for the forthcoming season.
We can always change our minds in the next few weeks. Laughing

If we were looking at things from last season's tactics and formation then i think we'd all agree on things looking a bit bleak, we've lost our keeper and 2 main defenders, one of whom was the best in the league, however i think this will see us having a wee shake up and changing how we play. We ended the season looking stale too, results weren't great, so again, i think having a change will be good for us.

Well that's my take on it anyway, forever the optimist. Very Happy

Devlin and Bartley are excellent signings, Crawford sounds promising too. Added to guys we've managed to retain, Lawless and Robinson, i think we've got quite an exciting looking attacking team. Devlin and Menga could be something to behold playing on the wings.

As i opened with, far too early to make any kind of reasoned expecation, but i'm pretty optimistic that we can repeat last season's fantastic accomplishment, and stay up quite comfortably again.
Bertie Bassett
Bertie Bassett

2019/20 Season's Expectations Empty Re: 2019/20 Season's Expectations

Post by Bertie Bassett on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:05 pm

Yeah, it is really too early to confidently predict how things will go.

I would like to think you are correct but a lot will depend on how quickly the team gels & how good a start we make.
Troy

Post by Troy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 pm

Like both of you have said its a tad early for predictions.lets not forget a good number of our goals last season came from three players who have now left us.Ifeel that this coming season whoever is going to be up front for us are going to have to start chipping in more goals than weve had previously.More than willing to giving the new boys a chance however the need for an out and out striker is paramount as far as im concerned and im sorry but we aint got one at the moment.Personally im setting myself up for a fall this season although i realise were in our own little leauge with Accies St mirren and ross County.Once again that elusive tenth place would do for most i feel myself included but of course i know these lads will do there damdest to prove me wrong.Not expecting the start we had last season but whatever il be there once more to cheer the lads on.Good luck to Gary Davie and the boys,i think we are gonna need it.Lol T,
Liviforever
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Well that's us played the Betfred games and had a wee look at our new signings, and how the team is coming along. Still to play a Premiership team though so will wait tio see how we fair against Motherwell next weekend before making my mind up fully.

Right now my thoughts are that from midfield to attack we're where I thought we'd be, solid in midfield and providing the attacking players chip in with their customary goals we'll be fine. Souda and Dykes look decent enough up front, and Devane and Devlin should give good support up the wings. Bartley looks a good solid holding midfielder that will orchestrate things from defence, and Crawford is another dynamo to break up play in midfield.

Again as expected, our weaker areas are GK and defence, the keepers look competent enough, not as good as what we've had the last two seasons but I think they'll do well enough. Defence has options, thank goodness, on the whole I think we'll do ok, but Pepe is going to be one player that gives me the fear, always looks a mistake waiting to happen, and he'll be severely tested next game against Motherwell. If we come through that one with anything i'll be delighted, and a lot more confident about us doing well (no pun intended).

On a positive note, there are some other teams that have had a disaster of a Betfred group stage, St Johnstone look a mess, and a lot weaker than last season, St Mirren still look relegation candidates, Accies are just Accies, prob going to survive but look like a team we can get above. Hearts also haven't started great, have no doubt they'll be around 5th-7th, but I have no fear about playing them.

Sevco look a lot stronger, but points against them are a bonus anyway, so i'm not going to be too disappointed if we don't get points off them this season (hopefully we can get something in home games again though). And I don't think Ross County will be a soft touch, they look like us from last season, I think they'll take points off most teams and be a tough team to play.

Optimistic we can get above St Mirren, Accies and St Johnstone, but will wait till after the league opener before making a final prediction.
Bertie Bassett
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Said pretty much the same thing to my oldest today. Not as sure about our regular goal threat as you but I think we have a very good chance of finishing above the two Saints & Accies.

Haven’t seen Devane but he’s going to have a hard job getting ahead of the goal machine that is Rickie Lamie (he’s one of our own - not through the ranks but as a fan)
Liviforever
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm

That's us had a look at the team against Premiership opposition, i'm sticking with my last post then, I really think we'll finish above the 2 saints and Accies. Our keepers are not as good as last season but they're both good enough, Stewart is a good shot stopper and reasonable at dealing with high balls, his kicking isn't great, whereas Sarkic's kicking is good and his shot stopping looks decent too, not so sure about him dealing with high balls though.

The defence looks pretty solid as a back four, only concern there is cover for injuries, Pepe would come in and he just doesn't fill me with confidence.

Midfield is still fantastic, and we have plenty options there to bring in and change things, without losing any of the hard work and intensity which has been crucial to our success.

Up front is still lacking a prolific scorer, but we had to get by without that last season and still did well, Dykes looks a good out ball and Souda is full of energy and class.

My season prediction would be:

League position: 8th/9th

Scottish Cup: quarter finals

League Cup: semi finals

Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup: Our Colts team knocked out in the 2nd round

POTY: Pittman

YPOTY: Scott Tiffoney

Top scorer: hmmm, Souda or Pittman

Player that could be an unexpected surprise: I think Tiffoney could be a surprise package this season.
Bertie Bassett
Bertie Bassett

Post by Bertie Bassett on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I’d forgotten about this thread when I made my BBC predictions & StJ’s collapse yesterday is a big boost that they may indeed be poor this season. I guess we’ll find out on Saturday.

My season prediction would be:

League position: 8th/9th

Scottish Cup: knocked out in our first game whatever round that is

League Cup: quarter finals

Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup: Our Colts team knocked out in the 2nd round

POTY: Bartley

YPOTY: Scott Tiffoney

Top scorer: Right now I don’t see anyone other than Souda threatening the goal & I think we need to change how we play to change that. I want to see 2 up front with someone like Tiffoney feeding off what Dykes wins in the air. Souda is too much of a wide player to fill that role.

Player that could be an unexpected surprise: I think Tiffoney could be a surprise package this season.
(Is there such a thing as an expected surprise? lol! )
Liviforever
Liviforever

Post by Liviforever on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Yeah should just change that to surprise package. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 pm