The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Livi v St Mirren

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi v St Mirren Empty Livi v St Mirren

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am

As ever, after a big win we need to keep ourselves grounded and show the same fight and drive for the next game, or we'll come back down to earth with a bump.

Right that's the sensible part of my post out of the way, now onto some positivity, St Mirren are showing they've got a bit of backbone, hard to break down and plenty of fight, so this isn't going to be easy, but they lack a goal scorer, only having 1 goal in 3 league games, not even being able to score against a very poor Hibs defence. 2 goals would prob be enough to win this for us, 3 and it's def game over, really can't see us not scoring a goal and at the very least coming away with a draw, but it's a game at home and although historically St Mirren v Livi fixture usually have the away team winning, we've beaten them twice at home the last 2 seasons. This is going to be a third time.

Head says 1-0 or 2-1 Livi, heart says another convincing win to get it right up Steven Thompson and his St Mirren luv in, 4-0 Livi. Mon the Lions, Thompson predicted us being 12th, go out there and destroy his minky soap dodging team. bounce
    Durnford

Livi v St Mirren Empty Re: Livi v St Mirren

Post by Durnford Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am

Worst case scenario is St Mirren score a goal early on and then dig in. That being said our set-piece form seems to have returned of late particularly with the tall boys (Dykes and Guthrie particularly) waiting for a set piece ball into the box.

Actually I though Guthrie could have easily had three on Saturday; Pittman by contrast got so many chances but didn't have the rub of the green this time.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

Incidentally having watched the BBC highlights (turn the sound off to avoid the pro Sevco commentator) I notice that St Mirren seem to have reverted to having two players covering each of the posts for corners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49385187

I'm still of two minds about that; yes it give better cover but negates any chance of an off-side decision and also limits the number of players marking the opposition.

As we score our fair number with headers that should give us a good chance unless they change the strategy for us.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Aye Guthrie is about the same height as Gallagher, he's def helped to make us a threat from set pieces again.

Neither Guthrie or Stobbs came with glowing reviews from their prev club/loan club, but they've certainly made an impact in a Livi shirt. So far our summer recruitment has been outstanding, a lot more hits than misses anyway.

Keaghan was back to his best, and taking great set pieces, so it'll be a shame if he is going to be injured for this game, same with Robbo, hope Dykes is ok too, he looked in a bit of pain after the final whistle, grimacing his face while holding his leg.

If Robbo is out then surely Souda has to start, whatever Holt said about him he has plenty energy and drive in attack, and linked up well with Lawless and Pittman.

Last edited by Liviforever on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Liviforever wrote:Aye Guthrie is about the same height as Gallagher, he's def helped to make us a threat from set pieces again.

Indeed but Declan normally stood at the near post waiting to flick the ball on; Jon by contrast seems to be positioned further back and running in to the far post.

To be honest that strategy seems to be far more effective although how long it will be until other teams catch on and reorganise accordingly is another matter.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Lamie could be the target man from Lithgow's throw ins, he's as good as Miller in the air, and wins quite a high percentage of high balls. And Guthrie could do Halkett's job, hanging around the back post. Although Craig scored a lot of goals for a CB, I always thought he could've got even more had he been anticipating balls at the back post a lot more, t was a bugbear of mine last season.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:05 pm

I wouldn't like to see Dykes miss this one. And just a thought - will Miller ever be fit to play again? He's aye oot injured.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah Dykes would be a massive loss, esp if Miller isn't available, he's the only other player who could replace Dykes, playing in a similar fashion.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 pm

I still want to see Dykes & Tiffoney playing up front together.

Much as I like watching what Souda does, our team played better without him. That said I thought he should have replaced Robbo (but Stobbs rattled in his wonder goal) & then when Stobbs had to go off again, I thought it would have been ideal to unleash Souda then. But in the end it didn’t matter.

I suspect Saints will sit in & frustrate the living daylights out of us.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:23 pm

As much as St Mirren dug in against Sevco, it was Sevco's inability to stick away their chances that made it so tough, they cut St Mirren open several times and were through on goal. If we get an early goal I think we'll rattle in another two or three.

Keaghan looked back to his best with his deliveries from set pieces too, really hope he's ok for this game, as has been mentioned, I think Guthrie made a difference, adding another big player that needs marking.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Whatever we do we must not concede first, cos then there will be a bus in the box
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Hoping everyone is fit and healthy to line up;

.                          Stewart

.Devlin        Lithgow        Guthrie        Lamie

.               Bartley            Jacobs

.     Lawless           Pittman            Robinson*/Souda  

.                            Dykes

*Going by Robbo's history with injuries I think he's the least likely to make this game after going off injured against County.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Sure i heard someone earlier say that a favoureble result for us tommorrow would be some kind of record for us,could be 9 games unbeaten.Now without putting the jankers on it that would indeed be some going.Once again this is such a tough one to call although we are at home so slight advantage there for us.Last week was magnificent for us and if we can somehow replicat that first half showing we will be in with a great shout of bagging another 3 points early doors.First goal will be crucial i feel althugh i dont think Saints defence will be as benevolount as Countys was last week.Anyway so looking forward to this and great to be back home.Good luck to Gary and the boys.Do it!!!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Jacobs and Robinson both nursing muscle tweaks, so both may not make it for tomorrow. Keaghan was back to his best with the set piece deliveries, and Robbo just makes us a better team, so big misses if they don't make it.

The recent addition of Guthrie has made us a threat from set pieces again, and Stobbs debut got off to a great start, hopefully both keep it going and get even better as the season goes on. Lawless has been immense too, we've looking really good in attack.

A win would be brilliant, we could start opening up a wee gap on St Mirren and Accies. Agree with Troy, mon Livi lets do this. cheers
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Steady LF, one goal from a set piece doth not a threat make. If he can continue to get on the end of set pieces then we can start saying he has made us a threat in those situations again.

I totally agree with your comments on Robbo though, I noticed at Forfar & Ross that he is regularly pointing & encouraging his team mates. A true leader on the pitch.

I like what Souda offers but our first 40 minutes last week was the best we have played in a long time.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:12 pm

He got on the end of a few set pieces, we def look more of a threat with a big 6ft 3 CB in the team. Dykes, Lamie and Lithgow are all needing marked too, and Guthrie has made all the difference. Not as convinced with him as a defender though, he got turned and left for dead against County, but we were 4-1 up so comfortably saw it out.

Holt likes keeping us guessing about players making it when injured, he's done this a few times now the burger, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both Keaghan and Robbo playing. lol!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:31 am

This should be interesting, Goodwin is taking the shackles off his St Mirren team against Livi, has been set up defensively against Aberdeen, Hibs and Sevco. Reading between the lines he doesn't think Livi are as much a threat as those teams, so can go for it against us without worrying too much about us being an attacking threat.

Also read stereotype comments from him about us, 'Livi like getting balls into the box as quickly as possible from all over the pitch', as in we just punt balls into the box.

We didn't do that last season and this season we're playing a bit more football bringing the ball out of defence, through the midfield, I really don't understand why folk still think we just lump the ball up the pitch and into the box aimlessly.

Anyway, if they aren't set up as defensively and think we're a soft touch compared to Aberdeen and Hibs, they're in for a shock.

Some quotes from him;

“In the three games that we have had, we’ve had to be defensive minded, because we have been playing against three of the better teams in the league.

own half defending.
    "I think the players are looking forward to having a bit more possession and a bit more time on the ball, being able to be a bit more creative and a bit more adventurous at the top end of the pitch.

Loving that he thinks his players will get more time on the ball against us, has he not watched Livi at all the last 3 seasons? Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 pm

Hoping that Pittman missing this game does not mean that he is about to be sold.

Wishing Holt well as he recovers from his mystery illness.

To the game... proverbial game of two halves. I thought we were streets ahead of them in first without ever reaching the heights of last week’s first 40 mins but second best in the second half.

Great corner from Souda right onto Lithgow’s napper for the first & great work & skill from Erskine to give Dykes the tap in for the second. Their goal was a cracker & they deserved it for their dominance in the second half. As time was running out I was just waiting for Mullen to go over in the box & get a pen. Thankfully we saw it out.

Stewart did well & had no chance with the goal & enjoys a celly when we score.
    Devlin continues to impress & I am liking his shows of passion
    McMillan did well enough
    Lithgow steady performance & a bullet header for the opener
    Guthrie outstanding today, probably my MotM
    Bartley generally solid but not quite as influential as last week
    Lawless another impressive performance in an unfamiliar central role, probably just behind Guthrie as MotM
    Crawford full of energy & willingness to work proving to be a useful acquisition
    Souda not his best game, he could have had McGinn on toast but kept cutting inside, great corner tho
    Erskine works very hard, often for no reward but his assist on the second goal was excellent
    Dykes didn’t chase or press as much as last week but was in the right place to notch the winner

Savane looked a bit naive at times but I think he needed more protection from Souda & got it when Stobbs came on
    Tiffoney needs to be up front not stuck out on the wing, would still like to see him paired with Dykes
    Stobbs brought renewed energy & more defensive protection

All in all a very hard earned win from arguably an under strength starting line up. Had we not thrown away 2 point in Perth we’d be top of the league. So an excellent start to the season & a record unbeaten run albeit that 5 of the games were cup games.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Was more than a bit worried when I saw the team sheet, thank goodness for this International break with the injury list we have.

Comfortable first half and well deserved goal, pity Souda's shot hit the side netting when we all thought he'd scored. He started a bit slow but grew into the game and went on some mazy runs into the box, just couldn't find that final touch to get a goal, but worked hard, great corner for our goal too.

Was disappointed with Dykes first half, when we were well on top he looked very lethargic and wasn't putting in much effort to go after balls when their keeper was there to be put under pressure. Made up for it with the goal though.

Guthrie has been an excellent signing, esp with the injuries in defence, big solid guy that dealt with all high balls hit up to him.

We dropped off just the once around our box and got punished for it, gave Magennis space and time to look up and pick his spot, but it was a hard shift and difficult to keep it up all game, on the whole we got bodies in front of their shots and defended well.

Cracking 3 points though, esp with the changes we had to make, still 3rd in the league, and now 9 games undefeated. cheers
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:44 pm

I missed the first 20 minutes of the game but it was all Livi from the time I came in and we deserved our lead at half time. As seems to be our habit these days though we never seem to do as well after the break but we held on for a great 3 points. Dykes wasn't half the player today that he was last week so I can only assume he is not fully fit. We've got the international week next so extra time to get our injured players ready for oor wee trip to Ibrox. Shocked
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Hoping that Pittman missing this game does not mean that he is about to be sold.

Read this in the DR.

"Pitts (Scott Pittman) has missed one game through injury in four years. He went to pick his wee one up on Wednesday and felt a click in his knee. It's huge testament to the squad because I thought the boys who came in showed up really well."
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:40 am

Terrific day yesterday rounded off with some genial banter in the wee bar after the game with Saints fans.Credit to them for the way they accsepted the result with dignity and a good time was had by all.Like others i was a wee bit cautious when i saw the team sheet with so many injuries upon us but the lads who came in equiped themselves well i thought.Devlin and Guthrie the stand outs for me and big Al,s bullit header was a thing of beuty.A nearvy second half,but we knew St Mirren would come at us at that time and i thought we did well to hold out for the point although we could have made it a lot easier for our selves with chances missed.But i guess thats the Livi after all.All in all a great 3 points to get and a chance to get the injured back to health after the international break.Well done lads.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 am

Troy wrote:Terrific day yesterday rounded off with some genial banter in the wee bar after the game with Saints fans.Credit to them for the way they accsepted the result with dignity and a good time was had by all.Like others i was a wee bit cautious when i saw the team sheet with so many injuries upon us but the lads who came in equiped themselves well i thought.Devlin and Guthrie the stand outs for me and big Al,s bullit header was a thing of beuty.A nearvy second half,but we knew St Mirren would come at us at that time and i thought we did well to hold out for the point although we could have made it a lot easier for our selves with chances missed.But i guess thats the Livi after all.All in all a great 3 points to get and a chance to get the injured back to health after the international break.Well done lads.

The collective St Mirren support are one of the angriest we've encountered at games, so full of anger and seethe at every decision against them, part of the entertainment when we go through to theirs to play them actually, it's so funny to see, so good to hear they let it all go after the final whistle. If only the big two Glasgow based arse cheeks' supporters could do the same.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Bertie Bassett wrote:Hoping that Pittman missing this game does not mean that he is about to be sold.

Read this in the DR.

"Pitts (Scott Pittman) has missed one game through injury in four years. He went to pick his wee one up on Wednesday and felt a click in his knee. It's huge testament to the squad because I thought the boys who came in showed up really well."

Yes, I heard that from a reasonably good source yesterday after I posted but as I couldn’t verify I didn’t update.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:19 pm

Damn, if only Dykes had scored that pen against St Johnstone, we'd be sitting 2nd in the league. Would be something else if we could give Sevco back to back home defeats and jump above them in a fortnight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm