The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

St Johnstone v Livi

Liviforever
    Liviforever

St Johnstone v Livi Empty St Johnstone v Livi

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:34 pm

We're a point up on last season, now we just need to beat St Johnstone to stay ahead of that tally after 2 games. St Johnstone are looking terrible in defence, and not much of a threat up front either, basically what everyone thought we'd be like, but we aren't.

My only concern is after they got an absolute hounding from Celtic their pride will be hurt and Wright will have them well fired up for this game. However they aren't anything like the team that came back from a doing against Celtic last season and went on a good run of games, think it was something like 9 undefeated after a drubbing there, and I still think we'll get a crucial away win against them.

It's usually a tough game with not much in it against them, and one of us sneaking it by the odd goal (usually them), for some reason I think we'll win this by 2 or 3 goals, I just have a good feeling going into this. Mon the Lions, lets just do this. cheers
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

St Johnstone v Livi Empty Re: St Johnstone v Livi

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm

This one has 0-0 written all over it. So St J will probably win.

We are long overdue a positive result in Perth, so here’s hoping it happens this week.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:25 am

With all this rain I wouldn't be surprised if this game is cancelled. Pity if it is because I'd rather play them just now while they are trying to get their team together. I can see them bringing in players to improve it before the transfer window shuts.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:34 am

Hoping they spend all their money on Stevie May, runs about a lot and is useless in front of goal, a poor man's Dolly Menga.

Isny looking promising for the game being on though, astro pitches should be made compulsory in the top flight imo.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Weather seems to have abated ever so slightly.Nevertheles i reckon Perth took a pounding this morning from the inclement weather weve had recently and with the threat of more to come in the next 24 hours im keeping my fingers crossed this goes ahead.Not so sure i share L/Fs optomism from earlier in the week though after saturdays performance can maybe see his points.Personnaly like Gary Holt i feel their Celtic debacle could have an adverse effect on us as you can bet your bottom dollar they are gonna be up for this.Think this is a game that either team can win, i guess its a case of who wants it more.3 points would be brilliant but i certainly wouldnt be adverse to getting another point on the board at a difficuilt place to pick up points.Any way good luck to gary and the lads and as always Cmon Livi Lets Do This.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Yeah a win would be massive for us, would put us 4 ahead of St Johnstone this early in the season, and with Accies & St Mirren likely to lose their games we'd be 4 ahead of them too.

Plus with our game kicking off at 2pm, a win would have us 2nd top of the league for an hour.Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 am

2nd top? Where’s your optimism gone? It only takes Motherwell to beat Celtic 1-0 & us to beat St J 1-0 & we’ll be top on alphabetical order. Greggy
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 am

We're winning by 2 or 3 goals here, so would be top on GD. Cool
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Good start, with Pittman the hitman putting us 1-0 up. Souda is looking a cracking signing, a real live wire.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Lawless makes it 2, Pittman, Souda & Lawless as our attacking midfield behind Dykes is looking superb.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Devlin missing a chance to go 3 up and then we concede a poor goal to only lead 2-1 now. Had just about settled myself down for a relaxing afternoon too, back to being all tense hoping we score to restore the 2 goal cushion.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Oh dear 2-2 now, we should be seeing games out this late in the game, poor game management from Holt.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Bejesus, Dykes misses a penalty in the last minute of the game. 2 points chucked away today.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Really annoying we botched this up, should've been a comfortable win, which turned into us completely shooting ourselves in the foot with the goals we gave away, then we get the chance to redeem ourselves and pull it out of the fire with a late pen, to completely feck it up again. 2 points thrown away and instead of being 4 points ahead of St Johnstone, we are only 1 ahead.

Think I need a few beers to calm myself down, really pissed off at us just now.
    fanfromday1
    fanfromday1

Post by fanfromday1 Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Sorry but this is Holt's classic " we start with a point don't throw it away" tactics in practise. That game should have been done and dusted at 2 0 going on 3 or 4.
    We should have seen that game out without too much effort. These type of results can come back to haunt us later in the season.
    A point away from home is on paper a decent result but not when it should have been three.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Christ where do we start.2 0 up at half time i almost fell off my chair.This game should have been out of site but the collapse in the second half was frankly embarresing.Fair dos to Saints ,they smelt blood and went for it with us letting them back into it.Fortious second goal for them after a strumash in our penalty area but by then you could see the heads going down and the least said about that lifeline we got in injury time the better.Said before hand id have taken a point here but after that really feels like a defeat,one that could have huge ramifications towards the end of the season albeit still early doors.Like L/F im away to drown ma sorrows wea a wee six pack ive been saving.FFS Livi.Dissapointed.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Compounded by other results where Accies do an Accies and pull out one of their amazing results, humping Killie 2 nil, and County getting a draw away to Hearts.

Opportunity missed for us today, we wont get a much better chance to get our away match hoodoo off our backs. Beginning to think we'll never win away from home in the Premiership again.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Arrived with 5 minutes gone, Saints attacking & us defending comfortably & then we opened out & opened them up with some excellent play between Souda, Lawless & Pittman 1-0.

Not long after Pittman looked like he was about to double the lead but the keeper pulled off a superb save. Then some more good play by the 3 attacking mids & Lawless gets the second with a well placed shot. Saints were down & out. There looked like there was no way back for them.

We remained on top until Keaghan gave it away, won it back & then was short with his pass back. When that didn’t go in immediately I thought we had gotten away with it only for it to end up in the net. Rank rotten defending. Then Saints seemed to get belief & got on top. But we seemed to weather their storm. Then more shoddy defending, Stewart makes a superb point blank save but no one backs him up & the rebound is rammed in. At that point I could see only 1 team snatching the winner & it wasn’t us. Then Tiffoney comes on & we are suddenly an attacking threat again (Mr Holt, Mr Martindale please take note & get him on from the start!) & he sets up the chance that resulted in a pen. We have the chance to win it & Dykes passes it to their keeper! Truly rotten penalty. Tiffoney then wins us a corner & Bartley’s header goes just wide.

All in all, a point away from home is not bad but the way in which it happened was mince.

The Saints number 5 was a very poor player, we should have been singling him out & running at him.

The substitutions were odd, why does he keep taking Souda off? Why do we persist in high balls to Dykes without supporting him? Both our goals came from good play on the deck (management team please take note!). If we are going to play to Dykes as a target man we need someone buzzing around him to feed on anything he wins.

Frustrating day at the office.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Agree with all of the above. Saints were so poor in the first half I couldn't see them do anything after the break. They were still poor but got a wee lift from the gift of a goal from us. We deserved a win which is why we are all so scunnered with a point.
    I thought Lammie had a good game. Won loads in the air and kept robbing them of balls on the ground.
    I see Dallas hasn't improved in the close season. Saints players were throwing themselves to the ground and winning fouls. He gave St Johnstone a corner when everybody and their dug saw it go over the bar untouched by Stewart. He did give us an obvious penalty but we then managed to squander that.
    It jist wisnae our day.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Don't know who thought it was a good idea to let Dykes take the pen, he missed one pre season, didn't take any against Falkirk in the betfred extra point pen shoot out, and everyone who took a pen scored. Lamie was one of those who scored, I think him Souda or Pittman should be taking them, Souda keeps getting subbed though. Halkett ended up taking them last season though, so Lamie would do. Defenders tend to have strong shots on them, remember Dave MacKay taking all of ours and only ever missing one (against Partick Th in a cup game pen shoot out iirc).
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Lamie’s pen at Grangemouth was a belter & he has slipped into the CB role well. Like Orco I thought he played well. I also thought Pittman, Souda & Lawless played well & Bartley too.

That corner plus a fair few ridiculous off side decisions & Saints getting fouls for being out muscled by smaller Livi players all showed that Scottish refereeing is truly a backwater full of pond scum.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am

Thought it strange taking McMillan off when defending a 1 goal lead too, Hoppy used to throw on another defender in those kind of situations, not take one off.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:14 am

fanfromday1 wrote:Sorry but this is Holt's classic " we start with a point don't throw it away" tactics in practise. That game should have been done and dusted at 2  0 going on 3 or 4.
    We should have seen that game out without too much effort. These type of results can come back to haunt us later in the season.
    A point away from home is on paper a decent result but not when it should have been three.

Actually, not sure that it comes down to Holt’s classic. We were cruising at 2-0 and an individual error by Keaghan, which was not a bad decision just a very poor execution, passing back short. That gifted them a goal & gave them hope. Suddenly they were in the game after looking well beaten. Then Holt takes off McMillan & puts on Crawford & it looked like Jacobs dropped to left back. That’s hardly setting up to hold what we had. They equalise. He throws on Tiffoney & all of a sudden we are back on the attack & winning a pen. So again, not trying to hold the 2-2, going for a win.

Another poor execution by Dykes, probably a poor decision by him too to try placing it & we end up with a draw.

So while I found his substitutions odd, he seemas to have been trying to regain the lead rather than hold on to the point.
    italion

Post by italion Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm

In the papers today Dykes admitted that was the first penalty he had taken in professional football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why did the boss, Mr Martindale,(more on that later) allow him to take it?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:03 pm

2nd one he's taken for us (Tranmere Rovers friendly), and has missed both of them.Was already subbed when we drew with Falkirk in the Betfred, so didn't take any there, and we scored all 4 of them.

I know Dykes won the pen but we should have a designated pen taker and that should be who takes them no matter what, until it is decided otherwise and another pen taker has been chosen. As I've already said, Lamie would be my choice, if he isn't on the pitch then Pittman or Jacobs, any aunt but Dykes.

Dunno what you're going to reveal later about Martindale, but I honestly couldn't care who's in charge at Livi, Holt and Martindale kept us up, Miller and Martindale wouldn't have, so the chemistry has to be right for it to work, and it has done with the two of them. Things at Livi are running pretty smoothly, not hearing any off field shite, and everything on the pitch has been beyond all expectation, so long may it continue, and if Martindale is the main reason for that, then well done him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am