The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

St Johnstone v Livi

Liviforever
    Liviforever

St Johnstone v Livi Empty St Johnstone v Livi

Post by Liviforever Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 pm

Need the 3 points here to get well away from anything that's happening behind us, and to fully focus our sights on getting above Aberdeen.

Might want to freshen things up and bring Souda in to start, we generally do well when he plays in the mid 3 behind Dykes, or the 3-5-1-1 formation we seem to be changing to with Ambrose in the back 3.

Wonder if McCrorie will be starting again, or if Schofield gets his chance, lets face it, McCrorie had little saves to make last night, and he was nowhere near the 3 main ones, the 2 goals and the one off the post. If we are wanting the keepers pushing one another then Schofield deserves a shot at it again.
    orco
    orco

St Johnstone v Livi Empty Re: St Johnstone v Livi

Post by orco Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:09 am

It's been a while since we won against St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park and they are playing so much better than they did at our last visit. I'd take a point but a win would be tremendous.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah a point would be enough to see off their top 6 challenge, every game is a cup final as they say, for both teams just now. A draw here and a win at home against Hearts would be enough to seal a top 6 spot, and still be in with a chance of top 4. No game is easy though, as the midweek results showed, with both Hearts and Accies winning their games.

Think we should line up like this.

..                     Schofield

.     Ambrose      Guthrie     Brown  

McMillan   Pittman  Bartley  Sibbald   ATS

…                      Lawless

…                      Dykes  

Would have played Souda for this but really can't drop Pittman, Lawless or Sibbald just now.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Lawless did take a sore one on Wednesday but played on for a while after it.

We are definitely overdue a win in Perth, so hopefully we can do it. My St Midden work mate wasn’t overly impressed by St J on Wednesday.

A draw would be a decent result but a win would be excellent.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Just hope that fatigue doesnt become an issue here although understandable after the shift them boys put in the other night.Theve had a couple of days respite and hopefully any wee knocks incured in that game will have eased.hopefully Lyndon has shaken of that wee illness hes had the last couple of weeks,hes so important to us at the moment.Also no one has mentioned wee Robbos contribution the other night.Would be a shame for him to miss out but as others have said who do you drop?Its a pleasant headache for Gary to have.As ive said numerous times before anything other than a defeat will do for me but of course would be brilliant if we could reverse our away form and bring maximum points back down to fortress Amondvale and in that respect i wish Gary Davie and the lads good fortune for tommorow.Cmon the Lions,Do it!!!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:22 am

Wee Robbo seems to like playing against Celtic, 3 goals in 6 games against them & I’m not sure that he played in them all.

Robbo always puts in a shift but has a couple of annoying habits... he stops playing to claim things, it rarely works & he needs to play to the whistle; and he does go down a bit easily at times & that rarely works either.

He played well on Wednesday but I wouldn’t have identified him as the MotM, for me that was a straight choice between Guthrie & Sibbald.

We need another big effort today, Saints blow hot & cold & from what I heard they were cold on Wednesday so could well be a lot better today.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:53 am

His goal was set up on a plate for him by Dykes but it was Pittman esque in getting into that position for the cutback, and beautifully stuck away. Yep, wee Robbo does love a goal against Celtic.

On Troy's fatigue comment, notice Tommy Wright mentioning us having had a tough game against Celtic too, and making the observation about how it could affect us for tiredness going into this game. A bit of mind games there I think, St Johnstone also played a game against Celtic last weekend in the cup (which we had a free weekend in to rest up), after just having played another tough game against Sevco in their prev game, and then had a midweek game against St Mirren, which I doubt would've been easy for them, esp when they played part of it with 10 men, having had one sent off. So if any team will be suffering from a bit of fatigue, I think it'll be St Johnstone.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Brought in 3 changes to the starting XI to freshen it up a bit, Devlin, McMillan and Bartley.

Surprised McCrorie is still starting but good to see Nicky and Marv back into the starting line up.

McCrorie, McMillan, Brown, Ambrose, Guthrie, Devlin, Bartley, Sibbald, Pittman, Lawless & Dykes.

Subs - Schofield, Taylor-Sinclair, Lawson, Jacobs, Crawford, Souda & Robinson. #livilive

Really strong bench for this game too, all of the subs could easily be in the staring line up and making it an equally strong looking team. Which gives us plenty of options to choose from in the 2nd half when bringing subs on. Obv have to see how the game is unfolding, but Souda and Robbo are 2 good attacking options to have, that will cause defenders problems.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:30 pm

Two words sum up today’s performance... utter garbage

That was the worst Livi team performance since we got relegated to the 3rd tier. Where was the fighting spirit from Wednesday? Where was the desire? Where was the ability to get it down & pass it? We gave proof to the lie that we are a hoof ball side.

Apparently the team thought they let us down by conceding the equaliser on Wednesday, they didn’t because they had left everything on the pitch. But they let us down today because they left it all in the dressing room before kick off.

The management team also let us down today because they did nothing to address the obvious issues of the first half at half time because we came out & played even worse in the second half.

St Johnstone were not a good side, if we had played with even 85% of the intensity we had on Wednesday we’d have blown them away.

I would now give us no chance of catching Aberdeen or Motherwell & we’re looking over our shoulders at the possibility of being caught by a poor Hibs & a poorer St Johnstone
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Just listened to Holt’s thoughts on the Twitter feed. While I agree the pitch was terrible, it was terrible for both sides & the only team trying to pass was St J & look what happened. Yes you play the percentages but Dykes hardly won a ball all game & we were nowhere near getting the second balls. Surely that says “try something different”. There were a couple of occasions when we had Saints defenders panicking when we were running at them or closing in on them but we didn’t do it often enough.

orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 pm

That was horrible to watch. Neither side played football. They just cancelled each other out with an emphasis on kicking the ball up the park to no one really. Our best chance following a rare bit of passing was when a Lawless shot sneaked agonisingly passed the post. And that was that until St Johnstone sneaked an undeserved win in the 86th minute.
    I'm trying to work out why the pitch needed to be watered before the game and at half time and also how clubs like St Johnson's can so easily criticise our plastic one. I doubt it made much difference to the outcome but grass isn't the be all and end all its claimed to be.
    Clancy was a bit of a homer I thought. He seemed oblivious to the fact that Dykes was held when he went for most high balls.
    I'm a bit despondent about getting that top six place.now. We need to pull the stops out again next Sunday against an improved Hearts side fighting for survival.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:09 am

Shite result for us and St Johnstone are now within reach of catching us up, however on a positive note, they play HIbs next weekend, and Aberdeen play Motherwell, so the 2 teams below and above us play each other and they both can't get 3 points, so a win at home to Hearts would get us back into a very good position.

I know Hearts are on a bit of a fight back to avoid relegation, but at home we can beat the best team in the league, and Hearts are nowhere near as good as Celtic.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 am

Unfortunately you can’t base how we will play against Hearts on how we have played against Celtic. If you could do that we’d be easily 2nd or 3rd in the league. Yesterday proved that beyond a doubt.

While I agree with Orco regarding the game as a spectacle, St J did occasionally get the ball down & try to pass it, their wee number 19 was a nuisance for us during his time on the park. Our guys kept going in too soon & being left behind. There was one incident where Marv & someone else went ‘hunting’ but both over committed & the Saints player simply passed it between them & took them both out of the game at that point.

The problem for St J was that they weren’t particularly good so we were dealing with their attacks comfortably but couldn’t string 3 passes together or get the ball to stick up front. There was a passage of play in the first half where we did have the ball up their end for about 5 minutes having about 4 successive corners but each corner was dealt with easily (albeit by conceding another one) until Clancy finally gave Saints a free kick.

Lawless had a terrific shot well saved but it was a save their keeper usually makes against us & had the other shot that Orco mentioned just go wide. Jacobs fired a shot well over the bar but in short we didn’t really trouble their defence - ably assisted by Clancy as Orco says, but that fact also should surely suggest that a change of tactics was needed. It’s all well & good Holt saying we had to play the percentages but you also need to mix it up a wee bit & try the low percentage option now & again, just to get their defence wondering what to expect, as it was all they really had to do was defend our persistent high ball to Dykes & clear the second ball... they did pretty much what we did to get ourselves into this league (except we were better going forward than we were given credit for).
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:21 am

At home we can beat most teams, no matter how good they are. The Celtic example was just to emphasize that.

Put it this way, we beat Hearts at home and no matter what the Hibs v St Johnstone result is, one or both of them will need to win their final pre split fixtures, and we'll only need to get a draw from one of our final 2 games to make sure of it.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am

Im still hopefull that we can get that top six finish that we would deserve up to now.As you say we are now looking over our shoulder and will really need to buckle down to get it after yesterdays debacle.Wednesday nights game obviously took a lot out on the lads but i thought like others we would have had time to recover and we didnt.My biggest hope is that we dont have to rely on other results elsewhere as that could be to our detriment and would be dodgy to say the least.Dont know if it was a bad day at the office as i thought we would at least take a point from yesterdays game but not to be.So we move on to the Jambos next week.And that wont be a foregone conclusion i reckon.Need to lift ourselves this week and put yesterdays game out of our heads.Dissapointed.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:36 pm

To be fair it had 0-0 written all over it until our lapse in defending cost us the goal but it was the manner in which we played that concerned me most.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:23 am

Must admit I was a bit mystified as to why we had three changes from the team that so nearly beat Celtic on Wednesday.

Maybe Lawson had a couple of slips on Wednesday but otherwise was pretty sound. Devlin did okay in the earlier part of the season but has been out of action for months.

Was keen to see Bartley back in the starting berth but otherwise it seemed a bit baffling.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am