The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Brechin v Livi Viaplay Cup

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Brechin v Livi Viaplay Cup Empty Brechin v Livi Viaplay Cup

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 am

And so it begins… after the shortest close season in living memory we go again.

Brechin won the Highland League last season scoring over 100 goals and conceding only 16; they lost to Spartans on penalties in the play offs after a 1-0 defeat in Edinburgh and a 3-2 win at home.

That suggests they are decent up front and at the back. Could be a tricky tie with them looking to get a top tier scalp under their belt.

That said we SHOULD have enough to get all 3 points.

Got my ticket so I’ll be there with my oldest.
    Troy

Brechin v Livi Viaplay Cup Empty Re: Brechin v Livi Viaplay Cup

Post by Troy Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:05 am

Enjoy the trip Nick.Great wee day out up there.I suspect Davie won't take them lightly.This is the start of competitive games for us after a decent pre season.Id surely hope that we start with 3 points and negotiate our way through this group,though with Livi you never know.Were the big fish here and will be seen as a scalp to the others.Just be professional and get the job done.Enjoy.🦁👊🏆.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:31 am

Auld Nick wrote:And so it begins… after the shortest close season in living memory we go again.

Brechin won the Highland League last season scoring over 100 goals and conceding only 16; they lost to Spartans on penalties in the play offs after a 1-0 defeat in Edinburgh and a 3-2 win at home.

That suggests they are decent up front and at the back. Could be a tricky tie with them looking to get a top tier scalp under their belt.

That said we SHOULD have enough to get all 3 points.

Got my ticket so I’ll be there with my oldest.

The last time you and i were at the same away game was St Johnstone, that ended well, just saying. lol!

Expecting us to win by 2 or 3 goals, hopefully we can keep clean sheets going into the league starting too.

Sure i read one of our fan's posting about a Brechin fan shouting to our fans, something along the lines of 'enjoy the Championship, you'll be straight back down', after we beat them and had won League One. Only for them to win the play offs and be promoted too, then they went all season without a win in the Championship, and relegated straight back down, and we won the play offs to the Premiership. And now look where they are, it's a funny old game football eh. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:18 pm

Was that the Saints game at the end of last season? 2-0 defeat?

Oh no! Wur doomed!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 pm

Auld Nick wrote:Was that the Saints game at the end of last season? 2-0 defeat?

Oh no! Wur doomed!

Yup.

Though i was at our back to back 3-0 away defeats to St Mirren & Motherwell, plus our 2-0 away defeat to Ross County too, so maybe it's just me that's a jinx. Laughing

Oh and i wasn't at our win against QP away, yep, i think i may be a jinx going to away games. Suspect
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:07 am

I was at Motherwell, I thought it was going to be a cricket score at one point
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:39 pm

Auld Nick wrote:I was at Motherwell, I thought it was going to be a cricket score at one point

Aye i left at the 4th, but on the way out they announced a VAR check ruled the goal offside, i'd seen enough by that time though and kept on going. Foolishly i then went to County and St Johnstone games, gave Killie a miss though, i'm not a complete masochist.

Anyway, new season, new aspirations of us having a good one, as they say, lets go again, mon the Livi Lions. bounce cheers
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:16 pm

Not sure if it was as comfortable as the scoreline would suggest.Older members might recall many years ago,we had a saying,Greetin in Brechin.Thankfully not today,so well done the lads.Looking at other results,could be worse,ie the Fermers St Midden and of course the Terrors,well done the wee diddy teams.Accies beat Clyde,so top of the group clash next week although so many games midweek, might be jumpin the gun here.Anyway asked to be top of the group after today,and we are.Winning mentality will be so important come August 5th when the real stuff resumes.🦁👏🏆.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:53 pm

Would say it was fairly comfortable yep, some half chances from Brechin but nothing on target that troubled Shamal. They defended well with a low block, making it tough for us to get in behind them, there were signs we were starting to get at their goal, with Montano making good runs down the wing, and getting in behind them, but the goal came from them bursting forward, on the attack, and us overturning possession and getting it quickly up to Nouble on the edge of the box, for him to do his stuff and get a shot off past the keeper.

Ayo gave us a scary moment with a dodgy pass back, but we managed to clear the ball away. Nice free kick for our 2nd from Sean Kelly, and a deserved goal for Montano heading in our 3rd, he was our MoTM in my opinion. He got his revenge on their No11 putting him into the advertising boards, after he was hacked down earlier, boy was moaning like feck but Montano didn't even get a foul awarded against him. Just a good hard tackle. Laughing

Good first competitive game to help sharpen us up, a win and another clean sheet, job's a goodun.

Troy likes this post

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:00 pm

We weren’t particularly good today but 3-0 was a relatively fair reflection. We had a few other chances, most notably Nouble having a clear cut chance that he side footed straight at the defender on the line, had he laced it he would most likely have scored. There were a few other pieces of good play that didn’t amount to anything, especially in the 2nd half.

All three goals were pretty decent. Pitts played a huge part in the first & third, winning the ball high up in both cases, supplying Holt who played in Nouble for a composed finish in the bottom corner for the first & doing it again with ball finding it’s way to Sean K on the left wing who whipped in a great cross for Montano to nod in the third at the back post. Nouble won the free kick that Sean K scored from with a superb curler into the top corner.

I thought Sean K had a decent game, Pitts did well for the goals in particular, Devlin had some good moments and some very poor moments, Montano & Penrice both had better second half performances while Montano was ok in the first. Holt was fine, Nouble and Anderson both put in a shift.

Ayo was largely ok, same with Shamal but both also still give me the fear at times.

The subs all did fine but Parkes had one very awkward moment when he almost embarrassed himself and Shamal with a strange back pass.

We did more than enough to win the game but will need to play much better when league business starts.

I should add that I preferred our shape in the second half with Montano on the right and Penrice on the left. Penners is so left footed that he is wasted on the right.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:11 pm

Seems from the comments so far,improvement in most area's is of the utmost requirement before the real stuff resumes,ie the League campaign. But having said that regardless of the opposition as has been said,a clean sheet and a win.Cant grumble.Wasnt there,But apparently a reasonably comfortable win for the Lions. Usually a super day out up in Brechin which I've done many times.Safe journey home to all and a good Saturday night 👏🏆🦁.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:37 am

I won't bother describing the game since others have done that adequately. To watch the game I had a 13 hour adventure. Got the train from Uphall to Waverley. Caught the 1030 train from there to Montrose then a wee wait outside the station for the bus to Brechin. Reverse on the way back with a bite to eat in Montrose at The Picture House - a Bellhaven pub. A 3-0 win and a catch up with friends made it a good day. Where there's a will there's a way. 🚗 🚂 🚌 👣
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:54 pm

Our opponents this Sat just scraped a home win against Brechin 1-0, with a penalty in the 22nd min.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:31 am

Yeah but that win put the pressure more heavily on us… we are expected to win and now also have to win to stay in touch with them.

Cove on the other hand gave Clyde a bit of a doing 5-2.

And Dundee United seem to be trying to get Goodwin out before the league starts, losing again, this time 2-1at home to Partick
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 am

Looks like Clyde are the whipping boys of the group, struggling to field a team every game, Accies even struggled against them, though Clyde collapsed late in the game.

The knives are out for Goodwin, should get Robbie Neilson back as their manager, he certainly knows how to get teams promoted from the Championship.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content