The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

VAR In The Premiership

Liviforever
    Liviforever

VAR In The Premiership Empty VAR In The Premiership

Post by Liviforever Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Well VAR has got off to a great start.

The first VAR check in Scottish football resulted in no penalty awarded, as Martin Boyle was given a yellow card for simulation in the St Johnstone box.

Well Done VAR. cheers

Wonder how many booking Boyle is going to get for diving now VAR is there to see them.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

VAR In The Premiership Empty Re: VAR In The Premiership

Post by Liviforever Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 pm

VAR is winning me over.

GOAL - Hibernian 1-1 St Johnstone
    Nicky Clark

And there it is!

A corner comes in and Nicky Clark gets above Ryan Porteous to head home from six yards.

This will be checked and there is some suspicion of a push.

74 mins
    Post update
    Hibernian 1-1 St Johnstone

The goal stands!

Nicky Clark does raise his arms towards Ryan Porteous' back but there is minimal contact and the Hibs defender goes down.

What a couple of minutes as Hibs go from relative comfort, to having a man sent off and conceding an equaliser...

Oh if only we had VAR for Nouble's goal the other game, and Ayo's against Sevco.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Don’t think VAR would have given the equaliser against Huns… ref whistled it dead before the ball went in.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Auld Nick wrote:Don’t think VAR would have given the equaliser against Huns… ref whistled it dead before the ball went in.

Ref wouldn't have blown for it if VAR was in place though, he'd have waited for a VAR check.

Wont really know what the VAR experience is like till next Sun right enough, as a fan in the ground sitting there twiddling our thumbs waiting to see if a goal is being given or not, spoils the spontaneity of celebrating scoring when you then have to delay that full on celebration till VAR checks for any infringements leading up to the goal. Then the celebrations are somewhat dampened down with the delay. Also all the added time for VAR checks at the end is excrutiating when you're playing 7 mins holding onto a win/draw, esp against the erse cheeks.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:16 pm

VAR can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. Listen guys.Regardless of the who did this and that blah blah.We at our club won't see it.Correct me if I'm wrong .
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 pm

Troy wrote:VAR can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. Listen guys.Regardless of the who did this and that blah blah.We at our club won't see it.Correct me if I'm wrong .

Not without a big screen anyway, our PA system will announce it to us but i find it hard to make out what the fluck gets said over it. The new guy is a lot clearer sounding than Colin right enough, hopefully it'll be him telling us.

As i said though, the biggest concern i have is it wasting my live match experience sitting in the stands losing the spontaneity of celebrating goals. Martindale said today he forgot about VAR and was up celebrating Nouble scoring when he juts remembered VAR would have to review it and confirm it stood, which completely spoils his initial jubilation of us scoring. I always look to see if the lino has his flag up before fully celebrating us scoring, now i'll have to wait on VAR giving the goal before jumping about.

There was a game today where they took 3 mins to decide Hearts should have a penalty against Celtic, 3 fecking mins standing at the game waiting to see what is going to happen, 3X longer than a minute's silence respecting someone's passing, we all know how that minute feels like an age, just imagine how 3 mins must feel. It has to be a lot shorter for decisions being made, i'd put a 30 second limit on it or just let the ref's original decision stand.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:38 pm

On the point of the ref wouldn’t have blown if VAR was in place, I disagree, they blow for what they see as fouls, they only let potential offside calls develop, so he’d have blown for what he thought was a foul.

On the point of time taken to reach a decision, I agree, if it’s not immediately obvious on video within 30 seconds then it can’t be clear and obvious so let the decision stand. However, both of Hearts pens were clearly pens and should have been decided within seconds, the only thing that should have taken longer was the review of Ginelli’s “goal” but even though the correct decision was made it is actually a stupid decision. Why in the world is the rule that the pen should be retaken if both teams encroach? If they both encroach neither has an advantage so let the outcome stand i.e. if the attacking team scores it’s a goal if the defending team clears it’s a clearance.

In this instance there is even a case for saying 2 defenders encroached and 1 attacker encroached so the defence should have had the advantage but the attacker scored so let that goal stand.

VAR at the Man City game was a joke.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:03 am

Yesterday against Hibs Clancy let the St Johnstone first goal header happen for VAR to check on Porteous being pushed, exact same situation as both Obileye and Nouble's goals. If VAR is there the ref wouldn't blow for a foul and let the header happen then VAR checks it. Without VAR the ref had to make a decision straight away, but VAR allows him to let certain things go a bit longer and it can either be given or not given once VAR checks and advises him to go take a look on the screen.

He blows straight away and VAR tells him to go look at it and he's knackered, because his whistle affects the game, and he's made a monumental cock up, which makes the whole point of VAR redundant.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:23 am

VAR is going well for Livi eh. Rolling Eyes First week a VAR check results in a sending off. Second week a penalty against. Immaterial that it was missed. Neither incident was seen by the referee. Cannae wait for it to kick in for our benefit. Might be a long wait I fear.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:24 pm

orco wrote:VAR is going well for Livi eh.  Rolling Eyes First week a VAR check results in a sending off. Second week a penalty against. Immaterial that it was missed. Neither incident was seen by the referee. Cannae wait for it to kick in for our benefit. Might be a long wait I fear.

And doesn't review them being offside leading up to their 2nd goal. Their player was interfering with play because Obilye stretched to block it going through to him, and then was out of position when the shot came back in. So basically Obileye has to allow the ball through to their offside player hoping they'll give it offside, total farce if VAR picks and chooses what it gets involved with.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:39 pm

I guess it just means there is now one extra way of Livi getting screwed by the refereeing fraternity - the one on the pitch and the one who decides which incidents are on VAR. Cannae win. 🤷‍�
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:50 am

Another VAR cock up, the Tony Watt red card that VAR was involved in, just got rescinded on an appeal by Utd. What a farce and waste of money if VAR decisions are wrong and getting overturned on appeals.

Whole point of getting VAR was to help referees with incidents they've missed, instead it's inventing incidents like penalties and red cards that shouldn't have VAR getting involved, and missing others altogether. Yeah it is also getting some correct, but seems to be getting a lot wrong too, so we're not much better off after clubs forking out 80 grand upwards to have it.

Btw it was Goss that got Watt sent off at the weekend, the same player that got Bahamboula sent off when we played Motherwell, rolling about like his leg was hanging off, and jumped up and down claiming for a penalty when he saw the ball hitting Montano on the chest going out for a corner. Another cheating wee aunt.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:31 pm

I said VAR in Scotland would be a waste of time. Video screens and incompetent individuals don’t mix any more than having those individuals on the pitch do. What made anyone think that putting the clowns with whistles in front of a video screen would suddenly make them competent?

We should coin a new word for VAR induced errors…. VARce
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:13 pm

Yeah VAR is talking out of its VARse, making a VARse of it.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:41 am

Aye they used to make the excuse for referees that they only had a split second to decide. That one is oot the windae now. They're having a good look now and still getting it wrong. Beaton should be embarrassed by this but he's far too arrogant for that. It's just getting VARsicle.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:45 am

Well, they do say VARiety is the spice of life…. I’ll get me coat
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:10 pm

Auld Nick wrote:Well, they do say VARiety is the spice of life….  I’ll get me coat

Is that you off then, how VAR are you going.

Over the hill and var away, i'll away and get mine tae.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:44 pm

VARy good
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:11 pm

The VAR hand ball pens seem to be, hand by your side doesn't get awarded pens, not last night anyway, both Montano & Bahamboula didn't get hand balls against them when it hit their arms, Montano in our box, and Bahamboula just before Fitzwater scored our opener it came off Bahamboula's arm in the box. Hand out from your body is getting pens awarded, doesn't matter the context either. Would say Holt and Barron were both asking for it, putting their hands up in the air, but Fitzwater's was ridiculous, he had his arm out holding off the Aberdeen player and the ball dropped onto it, should never have been a pen but if that's what is being given we'll need to be very aware of having arms by our sides, or at least into our bodies, when the ball is coming into our box. Even to the detriment of taking a ball full on the face.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:43 pm

Even with VAR Clancy manages to make a feck up of a decision giving Celtic a hand ball pen against Morton when the ball hits Efe's hand behind his back with arms close to his sides, seriously the guy should never be near games at this level.

Also why was VAR even used in this cup round when so many other cup games didn't have it. isn't fair to Morton or Celtic players and fans having to have this pish unless every game has it. Prob be there in the Edin derby today too, but again when the vast majority of cup games don't have VAR it  shouldn't be used at all. Either all games have it or none surely. Esp when there is no consistency in VAR decisions between referees themselves.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:03 pm

Same thing happens in FA Cup… but I agree it shouldn’t .
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 pm

The VAR yellow card for Ryan Jack in Sevco v St Johnstone looks worse than the ones Holt and Pitts got red cards for.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:54 pm

The red card for Clark was almost identical to Holt & Pitts, he wins the ball, Jack arrives late, screams like a banshee and falls over & as you say LF, Jack’s foul is far more dangerous and clearly a red.
    Got to credit Collum for sticking to his guns, cos VAR is so often useless, but he got it wrong.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 pm

Was it Collum's ego preventing him from admitting he got it wrong and changing the yellow card to a red?

It was refreshing not having VAR checks in our game today, sitting around wondering what was happening 3 or 4 times in a game, but looked a few that should've had VAR interventions when the officials on the pitch missed them, those late tackles on Penrice and Shamal by Kuol fouling both of them escaped without a booking let alone a red card. Don't think VAR can be used for yellow cards though and if they didn't deem it a red on Penrice they would let it go. Shockingly late challenge getting nothing is ridiculous though, esp when we've had 3 players sent off for similar ones.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:05 pm

The VARdict program is just a waste of time, ex ref Dougal isn't ever going to go against a ref decision, he fudges it and blethers nonsense when it's clearly wrong, need Michael Stewart presenting this so he can't get away with havering pish, Stewart wouldn't back down and would nail him when he starts fudging around.

The Motherwell penalty incident is one the ref and VAR missed, and Dougal clearly thinks it should've been a pen, but he wont say it and just started to waffle nonsense.

The double feckup in the Sevco game sending a St Johnsone player off is another one he just blethers nonsense. The leg being high off the ground that Dougal tries to say was why the red was issued, but doesn't actually make contact it was the knee on the other leg as they both collided on the deck, but he wont listen and just keeps talking pish about the other leg.

Then apparently the one on the St Johnstone player is ok because it was low down, should've mentioned that when he said Pittman's red was the correct decision, because that was low down too. Jack's was more out of control than the one on him, and he went in with more force, the red mist had clearly descended when he went in too, Collum didn't hang about getting the yellow out for that though, like he did for the red card. Dougal tries to praise Collum for taking his time in the first incident and getting it right, pure pish, when does Collum ever take his time when dishing out cards, he's got the card out like a shot, always. The red card shouldn't have been given, full stop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 am