The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Egg Chasing

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Egg Chasing Empty Egg Chasing

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Nae luck at that either, losing out to Australia with seconds to go, bad decision from the line out and concede a penalty kick, argh!!!!

Glorious failure etc etc.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Egg Chasing Empty Re: Egg Chasing

Post by Auld Nick Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Sounds like the ref made a bad call at the line out, should have gone to the TMO and it probably would have been Scotland's ball with the chance to clear it and basically end the game... So we wuz robbed!
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Never really liked rugby, seems to be a very middle class sport followed by people who aren't very pleasant. Tennis is a great sport though.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Never met these unpleasant folk at a rugby game Lexi, all very civilized where supporters mix with one another. Can have a beer watching it too, unlike football that has a bad rep from past drunken violent behaviour by fans.

My experience from playing it at school is anything that happens on the pitch is forgotten about after the final whistle, my experience of football is players holding grudges and wanting to settle them after the game.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:59 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Sounds like the ref made a bad call at the line out, should have gone to the TMO and it probably would have been Scotland's ball with the chance to clear it and basically end the game... So we wuz robbed!

Yeah they can pour over not getting the TMO and it shouldn't have been a pen but bottom line is we had a throw in and made an arse of it putting ourselves in that position, win the throw in, win the game.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:40 am

The old adage basically holds true:

Rugby, a game for ruffians played by gentlemen
    Football, a game for gentlemen played by ruffians
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:09 am

You don't see much eye gouging or punches being thrown on a football pitch. I think something like 70% of the Scottish rugby team were privately educated. When I was at university I used to hear loads of stories about what the rugby team were getting up to on nights out...prank calling ambulances, downing pints of pish, burning each other pants in the street, all sorts. No love for rugby at all, you'll meet more gentlemen through football.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:28 am

I'm with you on this one Lexi.
    I have really tried to get into watching rugby but I just can't. It's too middle class and macho for my liking and all that stop start stuff just does my head in.
    I felt a bit sorry for the team yesterday in the circumstances of the defeat but tbh the sight of Buchanan's penalty in my mind's eye bouncing back of the post has upset and frustrated me much more all weekend.

Seek! pale
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Yeah no biting or elbowing, diving, feigning injury, kicking, dirty tackles, gobbing on other players etc in football, and you never read stories in the papers about what football players get up to, they're all real upstanding gents. Laughing

Orco I think you'd be surprised how enjoyable a time you'd have at Murrayfield, it's a good day out. Think of our Petrofac final with the way it was set out pre match and you'll get an idea of the relaxed atmosphere and entertainment pre match but on a grander scale.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Put it this way I was more proud watching the rugby as a Scotland fan than the football.

Can't believe Strachan got to keep his job after failing to qualify from this group.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Harsh Smithy, we are not as good as Poland but matched them twice by raising our game. We are nowhere near the level Germany are at but pushed them close twice (both Poland and Ireland beat them) and we are probably a similar standard as Ireland hence 2 close games which we edged. We didn't score as many against Gibraltar as our rivals, suggesting we are not as clinical as them and we lost in Georgia while our rivals all won. We were seeded 4th going in and lived up to that standard albeit performing better than expected against the hugher ranked sides. He got more out of them than the previous manager did and while not perfect by ant means he did miles better than I expected.

We would have qualified if we had been in Nothern Ireland's group and had a decent crack at the Welsh group and would have had a shout in England's group but we were up against the world champions, a Polish side featuring one of the most lethal strikers in the game at the moment and an Irish side which is pretty qualification savvy... They know how to get into play offs at least.

Bottom line on the rugby, they did exceptionally well but still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, an affliction that could well be called "the Scottish disease"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm