The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Afro
sunderland
LiviCub
7 posters

The U20s Thread

Afro
    Afro

The U20s Thread Empty The U20s Thread

Post by Afro Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:46 am

Not sure how much appetite there is for this, and it may well be in the wrong section. Anyway, the U20 team is back (technically), and have played a few friendlies. IIRC, they drew 2-2 against Armadale Thistle, and I'm sure I read somewhere they played Hibs U20s a few weeks back... Losing 11-0. It'll not be easy essentially restarting the youth system but I'm curious to see if any players can make the step up.

I think they're playing West Calder United juniors tonight in a friendly, 10 min walk away for me so happy days!
    Durnford

The U20s Thread Empty Re: The U20s Thread

Post by Durnford Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:43 am

Its a shame there's diddly squat on the official site about any of the youth teams.

Speaking personally I virtually never manage to get along to a youth game but am always interested on what we have coming through the ranks

Well done to Afro for bringing this up; personally I'm not too worried about scorelines at the moment rather than who's actually performing well Connor Quinn was tipped as a great prospect but; as far as I am aware, has hardly had a game in the last year; reactivating the U20's can only help put this right.

LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:52 am

We drew 1-1 with Armadale Thistle. Thomas Orr got the goal.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Should help guys like Matthew Knox and Ryan Currie as well, looks like they might not get much game time this season other than covering for injuries/suspensions or in the challenge cup.
    sunderland

Post by sunderland Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Cant help but feel we should have cashed in on Knox, if he isn't going to get any starts this year...
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm

One of the problems with going to these games (well the ones I've been to anyway) is there's rarely a team-sheet available so for most of the time you've no idea who's playing for you - so if you want to make a positive comment about someone you're left with lame stuff like "I though the wee guy with the number 6 on his back and the spiky haircut played well.

Hopefully Somerville is getting a game else there's little point in us having signed him last season
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm almost positive I saw on P&B someone commenting Sommerville played LB against Hibs. Not sure how true that is, or whether or not we were actually beat 11-0, but it's pretty desperate stuff if so.

Also bizarre if we've signed Orr from Morton from six months and the closest he's getting to the team at the moment is scoring against, erm, Armadale Juniors.

Would be surprised if Knox and Currie, and perhaps Orr and Allan, didn't play a part tonight. The three of them haven't been near the first team since the early LC games, and in Allan's case a bit of match practice wouldn't go amiss.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 pm

Afro wrote:I'm almost positive I saw on P&B someone commenting Sommerville played LB against Hibs. Not sure how true that is, or whether or not we were actually beat 11-0, but it's pretty desperate stuff if so.

Just seen that on the Livingston all threads... thread on P&B. Actually more bizarre than playing Jesus Garcia Tena as a striker.

Realistically we gain nothing from developing Orr; if its a question of fitness why not play him at left back and play Somerville in the striking role?
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Quite an entertaining game tonight at Hermand Park; 4-2 win over West Calder United. Mixture of youth players and first team fringe players, Hopkin and Martindale were there but in truth I doubt many of the youngsters (and first teamers) will have put themselves into the first team picture based on the display. Looked like a 4-2-3-1 similar to the first team, of the players I recognised, Quinn in goals for the full 90, Neill got a good 65/70 mins, Sinclair played the entire game, as did Currie, and Orr played an hour or so. Liam Watt came on with around 20 to go, and was easily the best player on the park by several levels.

First half was a pretty even affair possession wise, we seemed to struggle to break their defence down by and large, tactics up front seemed to have Orr playing off the shoulder of the last centre half. Worked a few times when Sinclair and Darren Smith (maybe?) released him to beat the offside trap; after missing two routine-ish chances, finally netted about half an hour in after rounding the keeper - 1-0.

Can't quite remember who was changed around at half-time, but I'm sure it was one of the youth players. Started off same as the first, before a stereotypical punt caught Morgyn Neill (worryingly) out of position, misjudged the bounce, and let their man away to chip over Quinn as he came out - 1-1. Then, almost surreally, Neill picked the ball up about 25 yards out from a corner, shifted it past their boy and pinged it in the top corner - 2-1. At this point, Neill and Orr were off, young laddie Levi (never heard of him) was on and Watt on not long after. Corner for West Calder eventually went in after a stramash - seems poor defending isn't confined to our first team; 2-2.

Not entirely sure if Levi was playing RB or RM, but he looked far more potent than the RB in the first half; made some good runs and was eager to receive the ball. Managed to cut inside with a great run, got a bit lucky with a ricochet but slotted it past the keeper - 3-2. Watt then wrapped it up as West Calder started to tire, picked the ball up in midfield and jinked past two or three defenders, then the keeper before wrong footing the defender on the line to net. Good goal, and summed up the ease at which he played for most of his cameo.

In terms of the players who are in the FT/on the fringes:

- Thought the keeper could've done better perhaps with their second goal, so considering at the moment his only opposition to a first team place should Kelly be injured is a Junior keeper with no experience, it doesn't fill me with confidence.
    - The manner in which Neill conceded their first is a definite worry, he should absolutely not be making mistakes like that in any game, some Defending 101 stuff there.
    - Sinclair looked tidy when distributing the play quickly, asking him to take his time and pick out a pass made him look distinctly average.
    - Currie would probably be better served with a loan spell away tbh - I think he's stuck between being too good for an U20 league but not good enough for first team football with us. A fairly anonymous display but I've seen enough of him already to say with confidence that there's a player there, and a useful one at that.
    - Orr looked like he could be a decent poacher. Overall ball control was lacking a bit, I don't he'd be the kind of striker to drop deep to create much effectively. Took his goal well but as I said, should've had more. Not sure if he'll develop quick enough to become any use to the first team.
    - Watt was a game changer for us and I'd be mighty surprised if he's not a starter soon. Great creativity and he has a certain tenacity about him which I think we have, and still do miss at first team level.

Out of the "youths" who played, I'm sure I heard someone note they were all 17/18; as expected, not really on the same level physically as a squad of Junior players, but played some nice stuff overall and deserved the win. Was impressed to a degree with Reid (?) at centre-half, looked promising but still some way off the first team I reckon. Somerville was #7 I think, and seemed to be in the 3 behind the striker for the majority of the game. Never really got through to create a chance for himself but done a power of running and I'm certain it was him who played through Orr for the first goal. Best youth player on the night is between Ogilvie and Levi (?), both looked promising with good awareness of what was going on and some decent skill and pace between them. Can definitely see why Ogilvie was in and about the first team, I doubt Levi will be far away if he continues like this.

Overall, defence was a bit of a worry, but I'll definitely try to head down to a few of their league games to make a proper judgement when they're facing their peers rather than a more mature team.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:12 am

Wonder if Lewis Allan not playing means he'll get a game against Stenny. Watt has impressed me every time I've seen him, would like to see him starting, or at least getting more time on the pitch as a sub.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Great report Afro - thank you
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 pm

Seems like the U20s have played a few friendlies in the past week or so. Bounce games against Stirling Uni (4-2) and Airdrie U20s (1-0) - good to see Ogilvie building upon some positive performances and netting last night. If he keeps this up, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see him displace Currie in the pecking order and pick up minutes here and there with the first team.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm

4-2 win away to Forfar tonight. Currie, Sinclair, and Carrick (2) with our goals.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Pumped out the Youth Cup.

4-0 against Dunfermline.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:06 pm

A horrendous weekend for us against Fife, then... Aren't Dunfermline in the top youth league?

AFAIK we're second in our development league, but I'm not sure that's much to shout about given the calibre of sides we're up against.

Rome wasn't built in a day though, and if it helps players like Knox and Ogilvie prepare for the first team then the results are inconsequential, really.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Away to Raith tonight, conceded a very late goal to draw the game 2-2.

Matthew Knox and a Dale Carrick penalty for our goals.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Allen doesn't seem to be doing much in Development game either, Carrick has scored a few goals though.

Puzzled as to why Knox was getting games last season* when it was clear he wasn't ready to be playing at Championship level yet, and now we've dropped down a level he's not made any sub appearances in League One. Thought this would've been more appropriate for his development getting some sub appearances this season. Curry too has dropped right down the pecking order.

Suppose there is plenty time for some of our younger players to be getting a chance in the first team, Ogilviey has had good revues playing in Development games too.

*Well seen as how we've not sold him anyway as I thought that was the reason he got first team games last season, to up his profile and make a quick buck.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Development side is probably better for him at the moment, develop, score a few, raise confidence, then get a crack at the first team.

Is Currie playing for development side?
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Is Currie playing for development side?

Wasn't even on the bench last night. I'd guess he's injured, hopefully not just dropped completely.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Lewis Allen away back to Hibs, hopefully means one of our own boys can get a run up front in the U20 side.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 pm

On loan players haven't been up to much this season, Lewis didn't add anything to our team the odd time I saw him come on as sub. Could do with a striker that can come on and score the odd goal for us, esp if either Mullen or Buchanan get an injury or suspension.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:30 pm

An own goal and one from Dale Carrick had us 2-0 up against Stirling Albion tonight, ended up 2-2 at half time. Went on to lose the game 6-2...

Sore one.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Just seen that on the OS twitter, last I checked we were up 2-1 just before HT, bit of a doing in the 2nd half.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:47 am

Somerville off to Junior side Arniston, I see.

2-1 defeat to Cowdenbeath last night. Not watched them since pre-season but some of these results seem pretty desperate.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:34 pm

More a vehicle for keeping players fit than winning games I suppose. We'll say that anyway cause we're losing most of our games. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:32 pm