The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
sunderland
Liviforever
6 posters

Fans' Forum 8th July

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Fans' Forum 8th July Empty Fans' Forum 8th July

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:00 am

Anyone going to this, rare occasion where we've not got a crisis or any impending feelings of doom.

I suppose there is always a question needing asked about how the club are financing the forthcoming season, and will we ever break even. Not sure we'll get any a clearer answer than the last fans' forum, but from what I remember the 3G pitch had a lot to do with how they were going to make enough money to keep the club going and that hasn't happened yet. It still feels like we're having to take vague answers on their visions of what will happen and haven't really got a solid plan in place to actually show us things are looking up.

On field wise consolidating our position in the Championship is our aim this season, we've a decent looking squad for doing so, though an experienced striker would've been good.

I still think the club should be making a bigger effort (or even an effort at all) to promote ST sales during the close season and pre season, but it's too late to do anything now.

To sum up, i'm not sure what this FF will accomplish, there isn't a crisis where urgent questions need answers and the league is about to start with everyone reasonably happy with things on the pitch after winning League One last season.
    sunderland

Fans' Forum 8th July Empty Re: Fans' Forum 8th July

Post by sunderland Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 am

Quite refreshing for once the only thing you have to worry about is the day to day solvency. Obviously, I think John Ward will have to bankroll us this season, as he has probably done through sponsorship in the previous seasons. It would be nice to see us be a bit more savvy with marketing and getting people along but that's new ideas and thinking outside the box and to be honest we obviously don't have the cash to bring someone in to do that.

LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:13 am

Not in the country so won't be there. Would be interested to know the club's stance on colt clubs entering the leagues though.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:16 pm

So did anyone get to this on Saturday? If so, what was said?
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Personal feeling from the forum - we're on a good path, albeit we're hamstrung by the club essentially being run part-time behind the scenes, with resources only now available to hire a GM. Top points I took away from the forum were:

- ST sales more or less matching that of this time last season, with around another 100 expected to renew, taking sales to around 650. Only 96 U18 tickets have been sold, which the club have admitted is a failure; they acknowledged that the marketing behind them could have been far better and it's an opportunity missed. Was also noted later in the meeting that the club turnover is around £1m; ST sales make up £80,000 of that total.

- Its hoped the artificial surface will be installed in time for next season. Work still ongoing to put everything in place with regards to creating a community hub in a similar fashion to The Falkirk Stadium but the way it sounded, this was a fairly high priority to allow the club to essentially rent the ground for match days with other use being for this community hub notion. On a related tangent, it was mentioned about the club's relationship with the council getting there so to speak - I didn't quite catch it but I'm sure it was mentioned that the formula upon which the rent is calculated is being changed/has been changed - it was definitely mentioned that for every £1 LFC added to adult admission prices, rent increased £4,800! If someone can clarify that, would be grand.

- Hopkin's missed out on numerous targets due to the size of budget, not really surprising but still mentioned. Also noted that a number of players have been turned down by him because they've chosen to contact him 6th/7th on their list - he's only looking for players who want to be here and buy into what he wants to create. Sensible approach IMO and respect to him for being so frank and up front about things. Noted after this that all the trialists who appeared during the Hearts and Motherwell games are gone as they wouldn't have added anything to the squad beyond what we already have.

- As always, the club is looking for supporters to bring forward ideas in any way, and hopefully see them through. Very limited resources at the moment, unfortunately.

- Around 30 people have bought into the share issues thus far. I got the impression that their input has probably been quite a key factor behind someone of the calibre of Alexander signing, for example. Also noted that it is hoped a DD scheme can be brought in to allow people to buy 30/50/X amount of shares per month; only stumbling block relating to this, as always, is resource to administer it.

- The previous kit deal with Football Nation was not bringing the club in any revenue, so it's been ditched. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask at the time about how this deal with FBT came around (did they contact us, us them, etc), but it seems to be a far more beneficial deal for us with an online store being the main selling point. Kit quality also seems to be far superior to Joma.

- Was mentioned that the catering deal has been given to another company, as it wasn't making us any money. We're losing money on programmes, and not making anything notable off the 50/50 draw. A new idea to include a crossbar challenge for the 50/50 draw winner was also mentioned as way of increasing ticket sales.

Some negative things there, but a key point was also raised; all known "legacy" issues have been dealt with, allowing us to move forward dealing with what is coming at us, rather than looking behind. Overall impression from the panel was that John Ward and Brian Ewing are very committed and energetic guys looking to drive us forward on to a far more stable, and sustainable future - more importantly, they were quite clear to point they are only human, so will make mistakes along the way, but more importantly, need fans to get involved! Also credit to Hopkin for coming out and taking the questions, takes some degree of class to be prepare to be roasted by complete strangers for your work.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Did anyone try to roast Hoppy? I haven't always agreed with his decisions or tactics & I regularly think there is something wrong at half time when we come out with low energy levels & take a while to get going & our record against P/T teams is poor... But he got the job done, so I'd have given him a free pass.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:48 pm

We did pretty good against PT teams last season, ran away with the league against them. cheers

I think Hopkin has made a lot of good signings and for the budget he's got this season he's put together a squad that should easily keep us up, I've a feeling we'll finish a lot higher than most folk think we will.

Off field wise the marketing and promoting the club is our biggest failing, we should be getting everything in place to go full throttle during the close season to promote ST sales. The Gala days are the ideal opportunity to do so too, having a simple trailer with a youth team on the back would be all it would take to get the club out there, some promotion deals on a few of the low profile games handed out in flyers, along with badges and Livi related tat for the kids. And get an open day down at the stadium arranged when the pre season starts.

Just sticking ST offers up on the website and in the Courier just isn't going to cut it, you get what you put in and if the club want better sales they need to put in the effort.
    sunderland

Post by sunderland Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:59 pm

The club has said they would like help with various things for some time now. I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about this rather than a blanket asking for "help". Do they have set tasks needing to be done and can these be matched up with skills that various supporters hold?

I'm sure there are a couple of fans out there that will be proficient in marketing, targeting social media etc. Its just matching them up I guess, it's a shame these boards are quiet now as it's the ideal place for that kind of thing.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am

Liviforever wrote:Off field wise the marketing and promoting the club is our biggest failing, we should be getting everything in place to go full throttle during the close season to promote ST sales. The Gala days are the ideal opportunity to do so too, having a simple trailer with a youth team on the back would be all it would take to get the club out there, some promotion deals on a few of the low profile games handed out in flyers, along with badges and Livi related tat for the kids. And get an open day down at the stadium arranged when the pre season starts.

John Ward made it clear that with the recent investigation of youth players earning £1 per week, it is difficult to get players outside of their working hours i.e. training and match days to do schemes like this and going to schools because they have to be paid and it has to be declared to HMRC for tax purposes.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 pm

LiviCub wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Off field wise the marketing and promoting the club is our biggest failing, we should be getting everything in place to go full throttle during the close season to promote ST sales. The Gala days are the ideal opportunity to do so too, having a simple trailer with a youth team on the back would be all it would take to get the club out there, some promotion deals on a few of the low profile games handed out in flyers, along with badges and Livi related tat for the kids. And get an open day down at the stadium arranged when the pre season starts.

John Ward made it clear that with the recent investigation of youth players earning £1 per week, it is difficult to get players outside of their working hours i.e. training and match days to do schemes like this and going to schools because they have to be paid and it has to be declared to HMRC for tax purposes.

Just used them as an example as I thought young lads would be the most likely to do it, but anyone with a Livi strip on would do, the Livi Lion is made for doing it. I used to help decorate floats when I was in the Scouts and attended Gala days every year, it was a lot of work,  but all you'd need for a Livi fc float is some green cloth and a set of training goals, Livi fc banners and that's it done, seems a missed opportunity by Livi not using them to promote the Club to the local community. I mean it is there on a plate for us to use, like looking a promotional gift horse in the mouth ignoring them.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Liviforever wrote:We did pretty good against PT teams last season, ran away with the league against them. cheers   yes we did but we had a terrible record against East Fife & Queen's Park & lost to Albion & Peterhead - however as I said the league title outweighs those negatives

I think Hopkin has made a lot of good signings and for the budget he's got this season he's put together a squad that should easily keep us up, I've a feeling we'll finish a lot higher than most folk think we will. i don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone, if we win the opening game you'll be tipping us for the title!  Very Happy

Off field wise the marketing and promoting the club is our biggest failing, we should be getting everything in place to go full throttle during the close season to promote ST sales. The Gala days are the ideal opportunity to do so too, having a simple trailer with a youth team on the back would be all it would take to get the club out there, some promotion deals on a few of the low profile games handed out in flyers, along with badges and Livi related tat for the kids. And get an open day down at the stadium arranged when the pre season starts.

Just sticking ST offers up on the website and in the Courier just isn't going to cut it, you get what you put in and if the club want better sales they need to put in the effort.   Cant disagree with that
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Nah Dunfermline aren't up to much, I fancy us to win the opening game with them anyway. Will wait till I see where we are by Xmas before getting carried away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm