The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Auld Nick
Liviforever
orco
7 posters

Irn Bru Cup

orco
    orco

Irn Bru Cup Empty Irn Bru Cup

Post by orco Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I am a bit cheesed off with what is happening to the Iron Bru (challenge) cup.
    This used to be a cup that would be won by a lower league club.
    Last year we had the introduction of the so called colts teams and teams from other countries.
    This season we have more colts, more teams from other countries, with subsequent expense if teams and fans have to travel there, and to cap it all two senior players being allowed into the colts teams as "mentors".
    Have they wasted it or is it just me?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Irn Bru Cup Empty Re: Irn Bru Cup

Post by Liviforever Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Quite enjoyed the the Welsh and Irish teams in it last season but the colts teams are a fecking joke. All just in preparation for the 2 arse cheeks being allowed their colts to play in the SPFL lower leagues. If Doncaster is kept in charge it'll eventually happen.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 am

Really? More colts & non-Scottish sides this season?

I agree Orco, typical madness from the "powers that be"
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

I'll be saving my money rather than going to any of the games in this cup. Shame, used to enjoy the Challenge Cup.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:15 pm

What about when we get to the final LL? cheers Laughing

I wasn't going to bother with the midweek Morton game as I hate their cramped seats (and their arsehole stewards that stand there glaring at you in case you put your legs over the seat in front to stretch them), but we're away to Brechin on Saturday and I wont be travelling up to that game, so will prob head to Greenock on Tues now to get my footballing fix.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Aye, not arsed about this cup anymore. Thought Petrofac did a great job with it, and everyone seemed to agree that the competition peaked the season we won it.

Getting knocked out by a 'Welsh' team who play their games in England was the last straw for me. Rest some of our big guns in Greenock to avoid any injuries. League games + Hibs have to take massive priority.

FWIW, don't agree with the colt team idea, and certainly don't agree with letting the Welsh and Irish getting involved.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:23 am

Liviforever wrote:What about when we get to the final LL? cheers Laughing

I'll be happy when we pump Dundee United in the final but will be watching from the comfort of my living room, spending the ticket money on a pizza from dominos.

Every half decent attendance will be used as a reason for the SPFL to justify introducing COLT teams into the leagues, something I really hope Livingston are against. The "mentors" idea only suits the premiership club, even the statement only mentions their benefit and not what the likes of Stirling Albion or Berwick Rangers gain from it. Just a way to make the COLT teams better and a better chance of them progressing = more than good enough for the leagues.

TL;DR - Fuck the Challenge Cup and fuck Neil Doncaster Laughing
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Agree with all the sentiments above, folks. The jolly to Belfast last year was pretty spectacular and personally, I'm not really against the addition of the teams from Ireland and Wales; what really grates me is the use of the competition as vehicle to enhance the argument for Colt teams in the league system. Thankfully, it seems like common sense is prevailing amongst the majority of Scottish fans and now clubs as well, I think 6 or so have already come out saying it's a load of tosh. I really hope LFC share a similar position, I'll be honest and say now, if we were in favour I'd have to seriously reconsider actually spending Saturdays watching us. The addition of Colt teams is nothing more than a money grab for the top sides and totally devalues the league competition.

LiviLion wrote:
    TL;DR - Fuck the Challenge Cup and fuck Neil Doncaster Laughing

Succinct, and to the point. I like it.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Albion Rovers had a disciplinary hearing about playing a player not eligible to play in their game against Spartans, the result has been annulled and Spartans awarded a 3-0 win. They've also been fines £2,000.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Liviforever wrote:Albion Rovers had a disciplinary hearing about playing a player not eligible to play in their game against Spartans, the result has been annulled and Spartans awarded a 3-0 win. They've also been fines £2,000.

The only difference between ourselves and Rovers here is that McGuigan was ineligible, and Lithgow was simply suspended. Apart from that, you'd almost be inclined to say the SPFL are making it up as they go along.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Strange one. The difference you make is a technicality (which I'm sure you are aware). Lithgow was suspended, which therefore made him ineligible.

You hit the nail firmly in your final sentence.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 am

They maybe took into account that we did actually leave Lithgow out for 2 games, just not the ones they wanted us to. lol!

Not like the SPFL or SFA to give us a break though.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Went down to the stadium this morning and got a ticket for the event on Sunday.As i cant actually be in Oswestry i thought this would be the next best thing for myself and others who couldnt make the trip down south.Was dissapointed to find that only 5 tickets had been purchased including my own.I felt even more emmbarresd as i was one of those who had asked the club to do this for us after the success of last time this opportunity arose.Iknow its early in the week but i fear this event could be in jeaporday if we cant get the numbers among ourselves.Spread the word guys and lets show our thanks to the club for putting this on for us,after all its not very often this comes around.LOL.T.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm

I'll be getting a couple sometime before Friday (prob tomorrow), plenty of time for others to be getting theirs too.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Well that's at least 7 that'll be down at the stadium for this game now. lol!

Mon the Lions. cheers
    Troy

Post by Troy Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Not sure if they will open up for 7 people but well done L/F.Can only but hope that others follow suit.Would be a shame if we missed out after the good will shown to get this on. Sad
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Saw something in a paper today suggesting that the Isle Of Man want to enter a team in this competition.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 am

I hadn't realised that a couple of ROI sides were included this year, so we have 6 non-Scottish sides in the tournament.

I would be quite happy for the tournament to become a complete cross-border competition with Scottish, N. Irish, RoIrish & Welsh sides but I wouldn't want Under 20 sides in it. I would also keep it as a tournament for teams outside the Scottish top tier.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I see Crusaders have knocked out Dundee United to reach the semi finals along with Caley & Dumbarton; who have all been joined today by TNS who have done exactly the same to QOS as they did to us with Harrison (the keeper) scoring in the penalty shoot out & then making the save to take them thru.

Once again Harrison's pen was very impressive; Kyle scored his in the same top corner that he scored in to keep us up that season when we beat QoS 1-0. Dycey also scored his, less convincingly but right in the corner, so although it wasn't struck firmly it was difficult to reach.

So what will the draw bring? Will it keep the "interlopers" apart giving the possibility of a "foreign" final?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Crusaders were pretty pish, Utd put out their fringe players and were equally pish, but the 3 other teams left would beat them quite comfortably.

TNS however look like they could win the comp, hard to beat when it goes to pens too which looks likely if they draw ICT.

Would like to see Dumbarton win it, best draw for them would be Crusaders and let ICT and TNS scrap it out for the other final spot.

Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm

If there was a player of the tournament, then the TNS 'keeper, Harrison, would be an outstanding candidate for it. Played a central role in two shootout wins against two Championship teams, and proved he can put them away too. That said, hope the Sons or ICT win it, perplexed as well how Crusaders made it this far but that's the luck of the draw I suppose.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Yeah when we won it against Alloa we were both doing honking in the league.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Actually, we had a honking league season but when we won the cup we were in championship winning form...
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Aye about 30 games too late.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm

TNS getting another home draw, 3 in a row.

The New Saints v Dumbarton
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Crusaders

Tough draw for Dumbarton, on paper it looks like an ICT v TNS final.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm