The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Afro
LiviLion
Auld Nick
Durnford
Liviforever
9 posters

Livi v Utd

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi v Utd Empty Livi v Utd

Post by Liviforever Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 am

Friday night football, so prob have a lower crowd than we would've on a Saturday, esp the away crowd, i'd imagine a good few of them will just stay in Dundee and watch it on the telly.

Anyway, hopefully Utd are rusty after their lay off, they've only played one game in Feb, Aberdeen in the cup. If we put the same effort into it as the St Mirren game then I think we'll win again, I was a bit miffed at myself for not putting a win down in that game given I've predicted wins all season so not going to repeat that mistake. Laughing

4-0 Livi, fg 15 mins.

Can actually see us scoring more than that but i'll hold myself back from going overboard and predicting 6 goals, well if Falkirk can do it so can we. lol!
    Durnford

Livi v Utd Empty Re: Livi v Utd

Post by Durnford Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am

Liviforever wrote:Friday night football, so prob have a lower crowd than we would've on a Saturday, esp the away crowd, i'd imagine a good few of them will just stay in Dundee and watch it on the telly.

Anyway, hopefully Utd are rusty after their lay off, they've only played one game in Feb, Aberdeen in the cup. If we put the same effort into it as the St Mirren game then I think we'll win again, I was a bit miffed at myself for not putting a win down in that game given I've predicted wins all season so not going to repeat that mistake. Laughing

4-0 Livi, fg 15 mins.

Can actually see us scoring more than that but i'll hold myself back from going overboard and predicting 6 goals, well if Falkirk can do it so can we. lol!

Like the cut of your jib L4L although I personally think (hope) we'll win but this will be more like the Dunfermline game than the St Mirren one. United are a physical side; there'll be a lot more holding and climbing on Miller and Hardie so a lot more will depend on the strength of our midfield. Cadden will be the real threat down the wing although I'm sure united had scouts there on Saturday and will already have noticed that.

I think we'll win but by the odd goal so I'm going for 2 - 1 to Livi with the first goal on 20 mins.

As far as the crowd is concerned its an earlier kick-off than normal for a midweek game and its televised on Alba isn't it? Given United's relatively poor form recently I cant see a bumper crowd wanting to travel:

LOST AGAINST ST MIRREN.
    WON AGAINST BRECHIN CITY.
    LOST AGAINST FALKIRK.
    DREW AGAINST DUNFERMLINE.
    LOST AGAINST GREENOCK MORTON

Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am

Been a while so needed to remind myself of United's last visit to the Vale:

https://vimeo.com/238209758
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:55 pm

As I said elsewhere, we have played better football than we did on Saturday but we played to the condition of the pitch which was cutting up a bit, thus the long ball & long throw were very effective.
    The same tactics didn't work so well against Dunfermline though.

United need a result but seem to be a club in turmoil. Hopefully we can capitalise on that.

We have a tendency to draw too many home games so I see no reason not to predict a draw.

Liv 2 United 2

FG 31 mins
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:As I said elsewhere, we have played better football than we did on Saturday but we played to the condition of the pitch which was cutting up a bit, thus the long ball & long throw were very effective.
    The same tactics didn't work so well against Dunfermline though.

United need a result but seem to be a club in turmoil. Hopefully we can capitalise on that.

We have a tendency to draw too many home games so I see no reason not to predict a draw.

Liv 2 United 2

FG 31 mins

We've only conceded two goals in the same home game twice this season; against QoS on September 9th (2-2 - the Gallagher sun in the eyes game) and Brechin City on 28th October (3-2 - the last minute penalty game). Since then we've played eight games at home but only conceded three goals (one of which was the crappy cup game against Falkirk which we somehow conspire to lose).

Long may our defensive trio's form continue.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am

I think our success against St Mirren had more to do with them being an attacking team, leaving plenty room in behind for us to expose their defensive frailties. I think Utd will be the same, they're the big team in a league they don't see themselves belonging in, so will come at us rather than sit in, they'll prob have a decent support (even with it being a Fri night) which will get frustrated if they sat in.

Lazlo prob thinks we're the same team he rolled over in their home game too, I hope he does anyway. We were recovering from players getting over the flu and also had Maley in goals, it will be a totally different team in this game, esp with Hardie and Miller in our attack too.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Hopefully the break has been as kind to United as it was to St Mirren, would be brilliant if we could win this and open up a bit of a gap.

1-1, FG 23 mins.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 pm

If we put in the same kind of shift we did against St Mirren, there’s no doubt we can turn them over. Friday nights have always been howling for us though, so I think a draw. Not a bad result tbf.

1-1, FG 14 mins.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Yep a draw would be an ok result but we can now taste blood on Utd's 2nd place challenge and we've got our noses in front, so we need to go for their jugular and get 6 points ahead of them. Really want us to go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season and also get a good amount of wins to see if we can put pressure on St Mirren at the top too.

I'm never satisfied, always wanting us to push for more and not just settle for a play off spot. Mon the Amber Machine, lets really go to town on Utd and make everyone sit up and take notice, we don't need to be keeping a low profile now, we're in 2nd place and coming up to the final quarter. bounce
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am

I'm being ridiculously superstitious here but other than the Alloa cup final, our record on BBC Alba is horrendous.

Livingston 1. Dundee United 3. FG 9 mins.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Not sure how to call this,we dont know what Dundee Utd will turn up. Having said that if we play the way we played on Saturday we will take some stopping regardless of how they play.Horrible timing of this just to suit the Gealic speakers among us which ive no doubt will be very few.However weve just got to get on with a great chance for us to open a wee gap on them.We can beat them imo but like a few others id settle for a share of the spoils here unless of course the Lions think differently.Cmon Livi Do it!!! affraid
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Hope we dinnae do a Celtic the morn. Sad
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Was a bit worried about the frost this morning, nice and sunny now though so hopefully our pitch is fine. Can't wait for this game, just hope we can follow the St Mirren win with another great result tonight, and go 6 points clear of Utd.

Mon the Livi Lions, you can do it. bounce cheers
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:45 pm

And for Ryan Hardie's next trick....curing world hunger
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Don't you just love a last minute winner?

I thought we deserved the win, United were only really in it after they equalised, before that we were the better side & I am convinced Hardie's 1st half header should have counted. If it had I think we might have won more comfortably. Couldn't tell if Robinson was off or not for his disallowed effort but it was great play from Pittman to set it up. I thought United were going to get a pen when Mickelson went down, didn't think it was a pen but thought they'd get it.

Terrific effort & performances from the team again.

Premiership ref for the benefit of the telly and he was still ridiculously inconsistent. Hardie got blocked possibly in the box, play on says the ref; almost immediately Robinson does the same to a United man and it's a foul to them. Far side lino, useless, flagged offside against Rafa when Hardie was going for the ball, ref got that one right though & played on.

Still need snookers to catch Saints but what a superb season it's been so far.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Durnford wrote:I think we'll win but by the odd goal so I'm going for 2 - 1 to Livi with the first goal on 20 mins.

Need I say more?

Smile
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Durnford wrote:
    Durnford wrote:I think we'll win but by the odd goal so I'm going for 2 - 1 to Livi with the first goal on 20 mins.

Need I say more?

Smile

You've the linos to thank for that, both our other goals were onside, should've been aother stroll for us but thanks to useless linos we had to work for it. Felt justice had been served when Hardie stuck it in the net but still annoyed at the other two goals not counting.

Robinson and Hardie are a pair of magnificent signings, superb again from them both. This is some season, 2nd place looks ours but it really wouldn't surprise me if St Mirren slip up and we close the gap on them enough to make it interesting.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am

Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 am

Liviforever wrote:
    Durnford wrote:

Need I say more?

Smile

You've the linos to thank for that, both our other goals were onside, should've been aother stroll for us but thanks to useless linos we had to work for it. Felt justice had been served when Hardie stuck it in the net but still annoyed at the other two goals not counting.

Robinson and Hardie are a pair of magnificent signings, superb again from them both. This is some season, 2nd place looks ours but it really wouldn't surprise me if St Mirren slip up and we close the gap on them enough to make it interesting.

Hardie was definitely in an offside position for his disallowed goal. Conversely Robinson appears to be clearly onside but Millar I think was in an advance position but not interfering with play so, in my opinion, that should have stood.

Also looked at United's penalty claim; Mikkelsen seems to be already on his way down before Longridge brushes him. Seen them given but not a penalty IMO.

Incidentally who put steroids in Pittman's half time juice? What a performance; probably his best of the season.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Incidentally really good to see there were apparently 990 through the turnstiles for the West stand (don't think that counts hospitality).

Considering for two games it was in the 690's that's an encouraging trend. Some may be there just to appear on TV but others might have been put off by the fact it was a Friday match and on TV so in general I think that's really good news.

Now if only we can better for the visit of ICT on March 10.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm

First of all sorry about the late post guys.Still recovering from a long day yesterday.On a bitterly cold night at the vale it was good to see justice being done with Hardies sublime effort nestle in the opponents net so near to the end of the game. It was no more than Livi deserved for their never say die attitude throughout the whole game.The abbility to keep going when some might have settled for a point here is testament to the work that Hoppy and all his staff are putting in here.The lads ran their socks off and it was a joy to behold given the awfull conditions last night and as usual not helped by some dubious calls from the linos who prevented Livi from making it a more comfortable night than it was.And before i go a wee mention for the brave souls who turned up last night.Best home support ive seen or heard for a long time.Still cant believe we are in 2nd place heading into the last quarter of the season but well done done to Hoppy and all the team for getting us there and hopefully staying there.Bring it on!!!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Hadn't realised there had been a couple of inspections on our pitch last night, and that it almost didn't make it with the usual spot by the goal mouth still being a bit frozen. Prob wouldn't have passed if it had been this afternoon, and the fact it was on telly prob made that wee bit of difference in pressuring the ref to give the go ahead.

Anyway, glad it made it, brilliant 3 points, and we can relax this afternoon as we watch the other games to see how their results go.

Caley v Morton- would be best if Caley won or a draw
    QoS v Pars-hopefully a draw.
    St Mirren v Brechin-grasping at straws but any kind of result for Brechin would be good.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Unfortunately Morton seem to be hitting form just as we are about to go to Cappiehovel

And unfortunate that the only goal at Paisley so far is an og by Brechin
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Sums up Brechin's season, didn't really expect St Mirren to drop points against them though. Yeah Morton look like being our main rivals for 2nd place, that's them above Utd now, another huge game for us against them on Tues night. Games don't get any easier for us.

At least Dunfermline and QoS drew, which opens the gap to 11 points on the teams chasing 4th place. Worst I can see us getting is 4th place now, but i'd be surprised if we drop beyond 3rd.

Goals from last night. https://vimeo.com/257223015

Never tire of watching Hardie's winning goal. bounce
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Nothing beats an injury time winner! Smile
    I went home and watched the recording of the game again. I think we were robbed of another two goals. Considering the scorer only has to be level, Hardie's should have stood and it wasn't the scorer who was offside for the other. The players who were in offside positions did not interfere with play.
    However we won anyway and I can't praise enough the effort and attitude of our players and the astute recruiting done by the manager.
    The downside to these wins is that the whole team is in the limelight and bigger clubs than us will no doubt be surreptitiously tapping up the best of our squad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content