The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
LiviCub
Lothiangamer
spiggle
mozam76
Lexi Collector
EdinburghLivi
Auld Nick
Liviforever
12 posters

Dumbarton v Livi

EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Dumbarton v Livi - Page 2 Empty Re: Dumbarton v Livi

Post by EdinburghLivi Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Bertie positive = defeat. There is some form on this haha!

Lexi, I think the predictions were valid up until the signing of Kane. That will have given them such a boost.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 pm

EdinburghLivi wrote:Bertie positive = defeat. There is some form on this haha!

Lexi, I think the predictions were valid up until the signing of Kane. That will have given them such a boost.

Not having a dig at anyone, but 3-0, 4-0, 5-1 etc...not in a million years. Look at it this way, after 90 minutes we've drawn with QOS three times (the result last week was our best of the season), lost to an abysmal Hibs side - who Alloa have beaten today, scraped past Cowdenbeath at home, drew with Albion Rovers, pumped Hearts youth side and lost to Dumbarton. Pretty average stuff, IMO and can see this being a frustrating season.

Having said that, I'm probably just being bitter at the moment after losing in the last minute to a part-time side.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Sore one.

We were the better team all first half with Dumbarton offering absolutely no threat. Should have scored at the end when we cut them open and shot wide but still wasn't worried.

2nd half we again started well and got in on goal a few times, keeper made some good saves and we squandered a couple, Ogleby had come on at HT for Mullen who was having a stinker and played even worse. Talbot set it up for him inside the box and he had one of those shots on the turn that sparky was so good at scoring but blasted it over. That was about it for goal threats and we huffed and puffed without doing much for the last 15 mins, even when Hippolyte came on.

Dumbarton were getting shots in on goal in the closing minutes and I just had a bad feeling they were going to nick it, they looked far more threatening than us at this point, DJ had to pull off a good save when they got through on goal and they were making inroads hitting us on the break and winning balls in midfield.

In the end it was a really sore one to lose and a case of being punished for not scoring when we were well on top.

Not much lost in the league positions, Hearts and The rangers are opening up a gap but that doesn't really matter to us, the bottom have squeezed up to us which is a bit of a bummer but Falkirk and QoS lost, as well as Hibs so they're the teams we more need to bother about as I believe we can fight it out with them for a top 4 spot.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:20 pm

LiviCub wrote:Why do I have a feeling our bubble's going to burst?

Fuck it, 3-1 Livi. FG 27 mins.

#ambermachine

Clearly thought I had gotten over my usual pessimism but I now know why I get like that following that performance this afternoon.

As usual, Dumbarton had a game plan right from the start to get 10 men behind the ball for 75 minutes and go for goal for the final 15. We were playing them off the park when it came to getting the ball on the deck and our slick passing was paying off as we were getting nearer to scoring. But as soon as Kyle's header hit the crossbar we started to panic and more and more punts were getting sent to White with no success. It's like as soon as we entered the final 20 minutes of the match, we switched off and offered an opportunity for Dumbarton to take the game. In my opinion, I think it's just down to fatigue as we've only been using the same 12/13 players since the start of the season.

Mullen had a dreadful first half and his replacement, Ogleby, was even worse. The only excuse I can give for Ogleby is that he's just returned from injury but if his passing, first touch and finishing is as bad as that all season, then I'll genuinely question why every season we keep signing passengers like him.

As organised as Dumbarton were, we've got to beat them and the other part-timers four times each in the season in order to have a comfortable campaign. What we saw today was that if we keep possession and play the slick football that we can, then we'll play them off the park and beat them. We were on a good run and we as fans (and probably the players themselves) got carried away and thought we could steamroll any teams that's in front of us. Today was a reality check and we need to learn from this.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:34 pm

Forgot to mention, will someone please tell Talbot never to take our corners again for the remainder of his Livingston career?!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:20 am

EdinburghLivi wrote:Bertie positive = defeat. There is some form on this haha!

This is so true...every time I get wee bit of belief that they will do well....wham! faceplant! Embarassed
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am

LiviCub wrote:Forgot to mention, will someone please tell Talbot never to take our corners again for the remainder of his Livingston career?!

Not just him, noticed in all of the games this season we're awful at corners. The wee short ones are no bad, even the one today was ok and caught them out, unfortunately the final ball was mince. The crosses into the box though, ffs they're dire. Either floated right over and get headed back in with no power as there was nothing to generate energy from the cross, or straight to the keeper. Is there nobody that can whip in a cross to attack, we've Gallagher and Dycey who are good with their heads but we give them feckall chance of attacking the ball from corners. It's really starting to annoy me as we are getting a lot of corners in games and wasting them.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 am

To be fair that is the first time this season that the changes made by McGlynn has weakened the team.

Danny was not having a great game,but to bring Ogleby on at half time when he has been out for five games was strange. As I have said before having watched him play he is never a no 9, he has pace and maybe could play wide right as he did with Wrexham. We had created chances in the first half and I felt we were all over them then Ogleby came on and was a nuisance to our team and just got in the road.
    McGlynn needs to put his hands up and say I signed 8 players and have got 1 wrong which is not too shabby.

Our central midfield pair need to create far more,maybe time to give Robertson a run in the team.

I also think Sives should be back in the team as he can play right back or centre back and this would allow Kyle to play further forward as at least he can get a cross into the box unlike Talbot who is a decent player to have in the team but his delivery is not good.

White and Glen are developing a good partnership so we should continue with that.

Onwards to next week as we have a semi-final to reach.
    mozam76
    mozam76

Post by mozam76 Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Cub, I'm not sure you and I were at the same game - slick passing? Us? Not from where I was sitting. On they whole I thoughts out passing was shocking - in participating these wee dinked balls into the striker that O'Brien insists on playing. I'm well aware that Jordan White is 7ft 2in or something - but we need to quit playing the high ball in to him. Graham mopped up anything that came his way yesterday.

I don't think criticism of our delivery at corners should be limited two only that - our delivery from all set pieces is brutal. In particular free kicks that are out wide, on the corner of the penalty box. They're always floated, and never driven in. Infuriating in the extreme.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:54 pm

mozam76 wrote:Cub, I'm not sure you and I were at the same game - slick passing? Us? Not from where I was sitting. On they whole I thoughts out passing was shocking - in participating these wee dinked balls into the striker that O'Brien insists on playing. I'm well aware that Jordan White is 7ft 2in or something - but we need to quit playing the high ball in to him. Graham mopped up anything that came his way yesterday.

I don't think criticism of our delivery at corners should be limited two only that - our delivery from all set pieces is brutal. In particular free kicks that are out wide, on the corner of the penalty box. They're always floated, and never driven in. Infuriating in the extreme.

We're on the same page there mozam, same with most of our balls from the wing, I hate seeing us wasting balls from a good position, particularly in the rare occasions we hit the byeline, get the ball driven across the 6 yard box as it causes defenders problems and they are just as likely to turn it into their own goal as our players.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:06 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    mozam76 wrote:Cub, I'm not sure you and I were at the same game - slick passing? Us? Not from where I was sitting. On they whole I thoughts out passing was shocking - in participating these wee dinked balls into the striker that O'Brien insists on playing. I'm well aware that Jordan White is 7ft 2in or something - but we need to quit playing the high ball in to him. Graham mopped up anything that came his way yesterday.

We're on the same page there mozam, same with most of our balls from the wing, I hate seeing us wasting balls from a good position, particularly in the rare occasions we hit the byeline, get the ball driven across the 6 yard box as it causes defenders problems and they are just as likely to turn it into their own goal as our players.
    that's why I feel that Kyle or Keaghan need to play in a wide area as they can get balls into the box. Classic delivery was the ball into White for the second goal v Hearts.......we don't do that often enough for my liking.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Smithy wrote:Danny was not having a great game,but to bring Ogleby on at half time when he has been out for five games was strange. As I have said before having watched him play he is never a no 9, he has pace and maybe could play wide right as he did with Wrexham. We had created chances in the first half and I felt we were all over them then Ogleby came on and was a nuisance to our team and just got in the road.
    McGlynn needs to put his hands up and say I signed 8 players and have got 1 wrong which is not too shabby.

Was still a bit seething about losing the late goal last week so I've been avoiding the thread a fair bit but I think you're being a touch harsh on him. Just back from injury on Saturday and confidence is obviously a bit low after not scoring yet. Give him time and I think he'll be a useful member of the squad, like everyone is proving to be so far this season.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:11 pm

EdinburghLivi wrote:
    Smithy wrote:Danny was not having a great game,but to bring Ogleby on at half time when he has been out for five games was strange. As I have said before having watched him play he is never a no 9, he has pace and maybe could play wide right as he did with Wrexham. We had created chances in the first half and I felt we were all over them then Ogleby came on and was a nuisance to our team and just got in the road.

Was still a bit seething about losing the late goal last week so I've been avoiding the thread a fair bit but I think you're being a touch harsh on him. Just back from injury on Saturday and confidence is obviously a bit low after not scoring yet. Give him time and I think he'll be a useful member of the squad, like everyone is proving to be so far this season.
    maybe you are right but I'm not so sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 pm