The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

Livi v St Johnstone

Troy

Livi v St Johnstone - Page 2 Empty Re: Livi v St Johnstone

Post by Troy Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:34 pm

No hieght up front worries me.If it was a game for wee guys,Wed stroll this.Nervous.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:48 pm

I’ve been wanting to see Tiff get a run of games based on what I saw of him when he first played...but seen nothing in his cameo appearances since then, so now it strikes me that if we are going with him as the lone striker then the other guys we have acquired really aren’t up to it, which is a worry going forward (no pun intended)
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:52 pm

In the space of a couple of minutes, Tiff has made me eat my words... superbly composed finish after it looked like a typical stramash would end with us not scoring & a delightful lay off for an excellent Forrest finish.

Up to that point the game was a damp squib. Tiff had been doing well enough with holding the ball up & keeping the game alive but we were wasting corners, throw-ins & free kicks. St J weren’t offering much except the odd break. We had some nice play but it was largely going nowhere. Then bang, bang & 2-0 up.

Now we need to manage the game & ensure we see it out. Keep it simple & not leave ourselves exposed at the back.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Result was all important today & the two minute spell that took us to the three points was the crucial factor in the game, closely followed by Holt heading off the line.

Our game management was decent enough second half but it wasn’t a great game by any stretch of the imagination.

We now need to build on this & start making progress up the table.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Yeh have to agree Bertie.Apart from a second half spell was actuaully dissapointed in St Johnstone.They had strikers in O halleron and May who with the greatest respect were largely annonomous. For his troubles recently,Mcrorie had a decent game,and Holts clearance kept us in cruise control.Was worried pre match about our lack of hieght up front but Tiffony put a shift in much to my surprise.People including myself going on about early doors, if we can get Lockitch and Preplotnik up to speed will calm the nerves.Last week of the transfer window, wouldnt do us any harm to get backup, but well done lads.🦁
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Game turned on McCrorie's block save from May getting onto a superb ball played into him from the wing, that goes in and it's prob another defeat. Superb bit of fighting spirit from Tiffoney and well put away. Same with Forrest, well picked out shot for his goal.

We have still got a shaky looking defence at times, and thankfully St Johstone are on a goal drought, and not the team to punish us, the main focus was on getting the 3 points though, so mission accomplished.

Not been impressed with either McCrorie or Holt, but both made vital blocks to keep a clean sheet and give us a comfortable finish, so credit to both of them for their contribution today.

Troy likes this post

livikev
    livikev

Post by livikev Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Not really an enjoyable game to watch - but its the score line and points which are important. As a team Livi knuckled down and got the job done , tjough St J were lacklustre for about 80mins - I know McCrorie did well with the block and a couple of crosses but there were at least 2 instances when he dropped the ball - he had his body behind it for the stop but didn't hold it - this isn't the first game its happened in either - sharper forwards will exploit this.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah, agree Kev. LF is right in that McCrorie made an important save but there was one cross which was straight to him with no pressure where he almost emulated Ludovic Roy. Roy made a complete hash of a Burchill cross allowing to bounce off his face & in for a Dundee win against us & McCrorie almost dropped this one into the net. Luckily he was far enough off his line that it wasn’t quite heart-in-the-mouth but it didn’t show him in a good light.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:50 pm

orco wrote:I know it's early but this could be a make or break game. If we lose it I fear we will be doomed. A win could kick start our season.
    We've been playing ok but not getting many breaks - balls hitting the woodwork, goalies making great saves. Just a pity that the howitzer from Serrano last week didn't at least get us a point. Sometimes the relegated team is the one that not much goes right for. I'm full of doom and gloom already. Cheer me up someone. Rolling Eyes

I'm cheered. Thanks guys.
    Pleased for Tiffoney. He's taking his opportunity well. A run of games should only see him get better. Not a great game but a good team performance. I'll take it.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 pm

Certainly taking his chance with Stokes pissing off, leaving an opportunity for him to come in as a striker and make it his own. I was impressed with how he mugged MOH to get things moving for the first goal, and held off a player to set up Forrest for the second. Added to that how lively he is getting into good positions, if he can keep scoring goals he'll def step up as our first choice striker. Long way to go yet though, needs consistent performances and to continue scoring goals.

Would still like to see him playing off big Lars too, the way he is so nippy and good at running into spaces, it could work out really well.

Defensively we are still looking dodgy though, we got away with a lot against St Johnstone, not so sure we would against anyone else.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Up to 8th place we pop, after Sevco put 5 past Motherwell today.

Got Utd and County within touching distance now, we just need to beat Utd next week and with Sevco playing County we'd move up to 6th place.

Shouldn't really get my hopes up eh, certainty we'll get beat and drop back down to bottom again. Crying or Very sad lol!
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Yeh,just noticed that.As you say its tight and a couple of bad results could put us bottom again. Will try and enjoy this while it lasts. But hopefully we show promise for the next few games to keep us away from that end of the table.🦁
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:27 pm

from what i have saw the top six spot is wide open, there are 8 teams that could finish in any position from 5th to 12th.

Might be Livi tinted specs but i'd put us and Killie as 5th & 6th and think i could have a decent stab at the rest of the positions and not be far away. Killie have now got a goal scorer, which will prob be the difference for them separating themselves from the bottom six, and i think we've got a decent enough squad to cover injuries etc when we hit that period in the season that it will tell on lesser squads.

I'm taking a leap of faith that we'll also get our defence sorted out, we know the players we've got can do it, Guthrie & Brown were solid last season, and Efe is a good CB in a back four. Between Devlin, McMillan & Lawson we're well covered at RB for quality, and Serrano is starting to really impress at LB now, with McMillan and ATS good quality cover there too.

Up front i think Lars will work out well, and Tiff could even be the surprise package for us playing as a striker, however i think our usual chipping in from all over the pitch will keep us above the rest.

Reckon St Mirren will struggle down bottom at 12th, Accies and St Johnstone fighting it out for 10th and 11th place.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Still not convinced about the squad strength. Souda has dropped right out of the picture as has DeVita & based on what I have seen, I’d have both as supplemental strikers before any of the new forwards except Forrest.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 pm

I see Raffa scored again in a bounce game last week, still reckon he could do a job for us this season as a sub. Esp at away games, don't think he scored at home for us in the Championship but kept scoring away from home. Could be just what we need to turn our pish away form into wins.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:08 am

I wasn't too enamoured when we signed Jason Holt, being pretty much of the view that he'd be yet another Sevco dud AKA Gregg Wylde, but he's certainly won me round.

The foresight to run back and cover the goal-line with McCrorie slightly out of position was actually better than if he'd scored a goal at the other end. If that had gone in then it would have been 2-1 and Saints would have got renewed heart that perhaps they could get something out of the game.

Watching the feed from behind the goal actually brings out just how good a move it was.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 am

Agreed Durnford.He prevented a certain goal for them which would have had their tails up as they were pressing at the time. Seems to have been around the game for so long,yet hes still so young.26 i think.His experiance will be invaluable this season,and a very good addition to the squad. 👍 🦁
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Devlin stepped up and took one to the bread basket too, after getting a lot of criticism for shitting out of putting his body on the line.

Holt still can't shoot for shit (except taking pens) but he's certainly looked better the last 2 games playing further back beside Marv as a DM. Speaking of which, that was another great run from Marv from the center circle down the wing to start the move for our 2nd goal, he's had a new lease of life since coming to Livi the way he batters forward at times, making lung bursting runs.

Serrano put in another great ball for Tiffoney to lay it off to Forrest as well, really like his input, also a good run up the wing leaving 2 St Johnstone players for dead.

Can def see things coming together for us these last 2 games, we're looking a lot better than we were, and if we keep improving we'll be leaving the bottom 6 behind. Think we've shown up better than anyone else against the 2 erse cheeks too, Killie always gives them hard games too right enough, but we almost got draws against both of them. Looking at Hibs being comfortably beaten by Celtic compared to us, the season holds a lot of promise if we can finish the first lot of fixtures on a win against Utd and move up to 6th.

Amazing what a difference a win can do, we really need to build on it though and get another one on Fri night.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Good interview with Marv talking about Tiffoney's progression, you forget how young he is, he's been around here a few seasons now. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-skipper-marvin-bartley-hails-22755183

You can certainly notice the difference in him this season, so the advice is obv sinking in, just needs to keep it up and make the striking position his own. For a wee guy he did well to mug O'Halloran and hold off the defender to lay it off for Forrest's goal.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Tiffoney is small but he has a good physique. He also gives 100% in every game. I see Marv saying they want him to develop his ball holding skills. He has a low centre of gravity so his upper body strength should help. I was pleased when we signed him because I remembered what a wee nuisance he was when we would play Morton. He's the type of player who fits into our style.I hope he continues to develop.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Yeah, I was critical of Tiff before the game but it was easily the best I’ve seen him play for us & exactly what I hoped we would get from him when we signed him; so I’m happy to be proven wrong but hope he now pushes on to show that kind of form everyweek
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 pm

Liviforever wrote:Devlin stepped up and took one to the bread basket too, after getting a lot of criticism for shitting out of putting his body on the line.

Holt still can't shoot for shit (except taking pens) but he's certainly looked better the last 2 games playing further back beside Marv as a DM. Speaking of which, that was another great run from Marv from the center circle down the wing to start the move for our 2nd goal, he's had a new lease of life since coming to Livi the way he batters forward at times, making lung bursting runs.

Serrano put in another great ball for Tiffoney to lay it off to Forrest as well, really like his input, also a good run up the wing leaving 2 St Johnstone players for dead.

Can def see things coming together for us these last 2 games, we're looking a lot better than we were, and if we keep improving we'll be leaving the bottom 6 behind. Think we've shown up better than anyone else against the 2 erse cheeks too, Killie always gives them hard games too right enough, but we almost got draws against both of them. Looking at Hibs being comfortably beaten by Celtic compared to us, the season holds a lot of promise if we can finish the first lot of fixtures on a win against Utd and move up to 6th.

Amazing what a difference a win can do, we really need to build on it though and get another one on Fri night.

We’ve only played 9 games, United will be game 10; Killie is our last game of the first lot of fixtures but we have some Betfred games between United & Killie (I’ve given you an out there LF lol! )
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Yeah still to play Killie after that, forgot we hadn't played them yet as we played them in a pre season game. 4 points from those 2 games will have us about the same points as last season, fingers crossed.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:48 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Yeah, I was critical of Tiff before the game but it was easily the best I’ve seen him play for us & exactly what I hoped we would get from him when we signed him; so I’m happy to be proven wrong but hope he now pushes on to show that kind of form everyweek

Cant help wondering if this wasn't also down to a possible change of tactics where, instead of repeatedly booting the ball aimlessly into the area, we played it closer to the ground that obviously suited Tiffoney; Robinson and Forrest. The first two in particular were able to show what they could do against the lumbering, but tall, centre backs.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 am

Messi isnae big.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm