The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Farewell Gary

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Farewell Gary Empty Farewell Gary

Post by Auld Nick Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Can’t believe I’m the first to post on this...

I’d like to thank Gary Holt for his contribution to the success of the last two seasons; I’m disappointed he has decided to go but we all know nothing is forever, especially within football.

It’s been a tremendous couple of seasons with Gary at the helm, the next manager will have a big task just to fill the role, so hopefully the players respond & get behind whoever takes over.

The question now is, who do we want to take over and/or who do we think will take over.

Paul Hartley?
    Marv?
    Martindale?
    Troy

Farewell Gary Empty Re: Farewell Gary

Post by Troy Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Im at work Bertie,will post later.Gutted.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Just clicked on here and seen Gary has resigned, not a shock, after him saying he was going to examine his position as manager and decide whether he would stay on or not, but rather sad after the great job he's done the last 2 seasons. It wont be an easy job to replace him either, with the conditions put on the job, wonder if Martindale could hold the interim manager's job for the rest of the season to minimize the disruption to the team, then use the close season to get a new manager.

Last thing we want is a new manager coming in and trying to change how we play, and wanting the players to adapt to a new style whether they have the ability to do so or not, John Hughes style.
    italion

Post by italion Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:15 pm

We have two problems trying to find a new manager. One, they would need to take the job on the basis that Martindale controls the club on behalf of the shadow owners
    Two, we pay a pittance of a salary.
    Gary knew this when he came.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Dunno what the manager's salary is, but the players wages have gone up quite a bit from what they got in the Championship. Still the 2nd lowest wage bill in the league but it's not too bad a wage now. Pitts for example, has had 2 new contracts since his Championship days.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Been at work all day struggling with this news.I couldnt comment at the time, but I can now.This is shambolic imo but its Livi and nothing surprises me.All our forums are going into overdrive and the impression im getting that despite all the goodwill intended to Gary,you could see that all was not rosey in the camp after Saturdays debacle.I wanted him to stay FWIW at least until the end of the season and genuinely felt givin a chance we could have turned this around.Gary obviously felt otherwise.I really wish him well and will miss him around the place.I said earlier on another forum the new man,whoever that may be will have to understand that hes working next to a man that has more clout down there than some dont realise. Thought this year couldnt get any worse,bang goes that theory. I honestly think we wont get a marquee signing and will probably go with a rookie as our next man at the helm on the understanding that he realises whos in charge🤔.Havent the foggiest who that could be.Some belters on the other forums, check them out😂.Sorry for being so deppressing but apparently im not the only one. Im done for the moment.🦁
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Being pragmatic, we've got a system and style of play that has worked well for us, even changing staff, players and managers, it still worked, so i don't see this as shambolic at all, as long as we get in someone who will continue with the style of play and engage with the players to get the best out of them.

I really don't know what Holt thought changed that he couldn't continue doing what he'd done 2 seasons running, but you could see things weren't quite the same, and criticism was being directed his way. The defeat to Motherwell was the worst display of the season, but the defeat to St Mirren was more frustrating to watch, because he just wasn't changing anything, and imo there were a few things needing to be changed. If Gary couldn't see that, and was lost as to how he could get things back to how they were then this is the best for all parties.

I don't think it would take much to turn things around, hopefully DM will get back to how we play best and we'll see a positive display from the players in our next 2 games. A couple of wins would really give everyone a much needed lift.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:50 pm

I see Gary Holt is tipped for the Shrewsbury job, puts a different light on him resigning from Livi if it's true.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 pm

I liked Gary because he was an acceptable front man for Livi. He always came across well and seemed keen to do press interviews.
    However I don't think anyone really believed that he had full control of the team. They always worded it as the "management team". And I think Gary knew this was the deal at the outset. I remember reading that before he came he was getting a bit depressed being out of the game. He probably jumped at the chance to come back in whatever the situation. Two decent seasons followed and Gary's star was on the rise. This season we have not done as well and I think that Gary has gone before things got any worse. That could affect his chance of moving to a better position. So he has taken the opportunity to walk while he's well thought of.
    Now possibly there is more to it than that. While things were going well I suppose it was easier for the management to gell and get on with each other. Perhaps our poor start has caused a bit of agro. Maybe things have been said and enough was enough.
    I guess we'll never know.
    As has been said elsewhere we will not get a seasoned manager a la Tommy Wright who would want full control. Our last two managers Hopkin and Holt were relative rookies and it worked out for the team so no reason the next can't too.
    Whatever, it's Livi and when did anything ever run smooth here. I'm just surprised we've had things going so well for the best part of three seasons. Might be time to batten down the hatches now though.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes, Gary was pretty media friendly, usually had a pleasant demeanour, was capable of some dry wit & his voice was easy to listen to.... no offence intended to Davy M but his voice could strip paint from 100 yards away, so if nothing else we need someone that can talk to the media.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Like the wee guy that does it for Bielsa. lol!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 pm

TBF I wouldn’t be surprised if that wee fella is a decent coach
    italion

Post by italion Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 am

The odds are now in favour of Marvin Bartley becoming player/coach with Martindale in control - as usual!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Thought Marv had said he wasn't interested in the job, too early for him. Wouldn't surprise me if Martindale remains in charge for the rest of the season.

Think he has some probation hearing in the next week or so he'd need to pass before being able to take on the manager's job, might hang it out till after that before making any decision on appointing a new manager..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:58 pm