The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
thruthenight
forzalfc
Troy
Achilles
Liviforever
orco
Auld Nick
Lexi Collector
12 posters

5 favourite players of all time

Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

5 favourite players of all time Empty 5 favourite players of all time

Post by Lexi Collector Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Something that might give me some different ideas for the AMAC thread. Noticed a few people pointing out players they like, would be nice to see everyone's 5 favourites of all time to have played for Livi. For me, in order:

Lovell
    Rubio
    Zarate
    Quino
    Fernandez

Just missing out: Xausa, Russell and Brinquin. Jordan White as well obvs.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

5 favourite players of all time Empty Re: 5 favourite players of all time

Post by Auld Nick Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Quino
    Dorado
    Fernandez
    Wilson
    Lovell

Just missing out Xausa, Brinquin, Rubio, Broto, McKenzie, Lilley

I also liked Zarate but didn't think we played to his strengths enough; quite liked Camacho too but he lacked pace. Max Caputo was a decent wee player that didn't really get a chance. Maidana was a solid defender.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:58 pm

Bingham
    Fernandez
    Wilson
    Quino
    Douglas

Tempted to include Lovell just for that overhead kick against Rangers
    Also Griffiths for sheer skill (when he behaved himself}
    Brinquin for being a smashing footballer as well as a gentleman
    Liked Bobby Barr for his forays up the wing but mainly for telling Yogi Hughes what he thought of his idiotic pretendy Barcelona tactics at this level
    Favourite manager Jim Leishman, not for his tactical ability but because his charismatic enthusiasm attracted fans and gave us decent publicity
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:35 pm

What did Barr say? I don't remember hearing about this and is presumably why he was punted?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Fernandez
    Bingham
    Marvin Andrews
    Barry Wilson
    Derek Lilley

First 2 were easy, easily the best players ever at Livi, on skill and entertainment, genius footballing brains. I could easily list another 20 after that so was a difficult choice only having 3 more.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm

I can understand your top 2 but neither had the brain of Quino jocolor

By the time I started coming Bingham was fading, you could see what he wanted to do but his legs weren't getting him there. He did score a couple of my favourite goals, one was a skilful mazy and peach of a finish against Ayr, I think we thrashed them 5-0 or 5-1 that day. The other was route 1; keeper punted it upfield, it bounced once and Bingham leathered it into the top corner, I think it was against Partick
    Achilles
    Achilles

Post by Achilles Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Quino
    Xausa
    Pesir
    Dorado
    Broto

To even have one of these players around the club would make my day.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:What did Barr say? I don't remember hearing about this and is presumably why he was punted?

I believe Bobby was being asked to play in what was not his natural position and apparently after a defeat he told Hughes "We were daein' fine till you came along" or words to that effect. Maybe a couple of expletives were added. I don't know but that was the rumour at the time. Laughing

Anyway soon after Bobby was punted to East Fife. I can remember how angry I was.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Liviforever wrote:Fernandez
    Bingham
    Marvin Andrews
    Barry Wilson
    Derek Lilley

First 2 were easy, easily the best players ever at Livi, on skill and entertainment, genius footballing brains. I could easily list another 20 after that so was a difficult choice only having 3 more.

Goodness I forgot about big Marv. Shocked
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:56 pm

We were doing fine until Hughes came along. He ruined us and is largely to blame for the mess we're in. Having said that, guys like Barr and Hughes shouldn't be having their names banded about on a thread like this. This is for the all-time greats.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:29 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:I can understand your top 2 but neither had the brain of Quino jocolor

By the time I started coming Bingham was fading, you could see what he wanted to do but his legs weren't getting him there. He did score a couple of my favourite goals, one was a skilful mazy and peach of a finish against Ayr, I think we thrashed them 5-0 or 5-1 that day. The other was route 1; keeper punted it upfield, it bounced once and Bingham leathered it into the top corner, I think it was against Partick

We'll have to disagree on that one Bertie.

Bingham and Fernandez were several steps ahead of most players on the pitch. The keeper one was Broto, the best kicker of a ball from a keeper I've ever seen, had accuracy like an exocet missile, and kept it low and fast the way he kicked it sideways instead of up into the air.

I used to laugh when an old dear that sat behind me was berating Bingo for losing the ball with a 'slack pass', his brain was just so much ahead of the players around him but she couldn't see it.

Fernandez used to amaze me the way he'd come out of a tangle of legs with the ball, even being knocked to the ground he'd get back up and still have the ball. Used to get the ball played to him on the wing, an opposition player came in and challenged him for it, Fernandez being a step ahead of him spun round and ran onto where the ball was going to be after it came off the opposition player and continued up the wing with the ball as if nothing had happened.  Amazing players.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 am

orco wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Fernandez
    Bingham
    Marvin Andrews
    Barry Wilson
    Derek Lilley

Goodness I forgot about big Marv. Shocked

Tut, tut, big Marv is there for every event we have, down at the stadium for anniversaries of the cup win, and at the cup final last season shaking hands and posing for selfies with Livi fans, true gent and Livi legend.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 am

I don't disagree LF, I loved the way Fernandez could do that and Bingham strolled it in the second tier but didn't have the legs in the premier. Quino was ahead of both of them, regularly making the telling pass that gave them the chance to do "their thing". But hey, it was a joy to watch all of the guys being mentioned.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:I don't disagree LF, I loved the way Fernandez could do that and Bingham strolled it in the second tier but didn't have the legs in the premier. Quino was ahead of both of them, regularly making the telling pass that gave them the chance to do "their thing". But hey, it was a joy to watch all of the guys being mentioned.

Yep, loved Quino, Broto and Rubio too.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Bingham
    Fernandez
    Wilson
    Quino
    Brinquin.
    Honourable mentions,Rubio,Andrews,Mcphee,and Graham Davidson.Legends all of them and many more could have filled the page.Apologies to those that pulled on the shirt at one time or another,too numerous to mention,a place in every Livi fans hearts assured.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:58 am

Fernandez
    Marv
    Broto
    Quino
    Xausa
    thruthenight

Post by thruthenight Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:15 am

Fernandez
    Marv
    Broto
    Pesir
    Barrett

Pesir & Barrett were both here for such a small period of time that they just trickled onto the list, but they were an absolute class above at the time.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 pm

The two players I've really, really enjoyed watching are Robbie Winters and Iain Russell. I haven't followed the team seriously for as long as a lot of people so the classic names don't really apply to me.

Honourable mentions to Richard Brittain, Snodgrass, Callum Elliot and Tony Andreu.

Also Marc McNulty and Kevin Walker for being top boiz.
    sunderland

Post by sunderland Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:07 am

Andreu
    Pesir
    Dorrans
    Craig Barr
    Kachloul

De Vita and Tena narrowly missing out. That list oozes class.
    spiggle
    spiggle

Post by spiggle Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:08 am

McPhee will always top my list. The Bee was the greatest supersub I've ever seen.
    Graham Coughlin was one of the best defenders we ever had and a superb bloke. He gave me freebies once.
    Oscar Rubio was a class defender and worked well with big Marv. He had the biggest chin in the history of Livi.
    Gerry Brittain was my favourite tall guy. I remember the hat-trick he scored in his last game for us. He was knackered but still giving 100%.
    Michael Hart was always one of my favourites. I remember the day away to Dundee when we went down to 9 men and Michael Hart was almost single-handedly our defence and played a spanker of a game.

I could go on and name a few more. I also have my 5 worst Livi players. The list for that is simple

Paddy Kelly
    Attilla Kriston
    Wes Hoolihan
    Ludovic Roy
    Armand One

phantoms-livi-lass
    phantoms-livi-lass

Post by phantoms-livi-lass Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:47 am

Bobby Barr. Without a doubt!
    No need for numbers 2-5 as nothing compares to him.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:33 pm

PLL loves Boaby. Embarassed

Welcome to the forum PLL. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Aye welcome pll, good to have you on board...so to speak...

Can't agree with Spiggle on Wes Hoolihan being one the worst Livi players, he was streets ahead of his team mates who could not see what he saw, the number of times he played a defence splitting pass only for the intended target to fail to make the run was unbelievable. The fact that he is now showing what he can do in the Premiership with Norwich and at international level speaks volumes IMO.

Would certainly agree with Kriston, Roy and One, can't remember Kelly. So my other two worst would be Mike Mampuya and if only because he wasted our time and money and gobbed on one of our own players during a friendly, that Argentinian ned...was his name Sergio Berti?? I am embarrassed that he besmirched my good name!!
    spiggle
    spiggle

Post by spiggle Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Aye welcome pll, good to have you on board...so to speak...

Can't agree with Spiggle on Wes Hoolihan being one the worst Livi players, he was streets ahead of his team mates who could not see what he saw, the number of times he played a defence splitting pass only for the intended target to fail to make the run was unbelievable. The fact that he is now showing what he can do in the Premiership with Norwich and at international level speaks volumes IMO.

Would certainly agree with Kriston, Roy and One, can't remember Kelly. So my other two worst would be Mike Mampuya and if only because he wasted our time and money and gobbed on one of our own players during a friendly, that Argentinian ned...was his name Sergio Berti?? I am embarrassed that he besmirched my good name!!

He was one of the worst players for what he cost us, what he done to us and his attitude when he was here. Remember that we payed around £150k for him for half a season's play. We then shipped him off on loan to Blackpool and then refused to return to the club to play for us after Blackpool missed on loan payments. He was eventually sold for peanuts.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 pm

The whole thing was mismanaged & if he was on loan & refused to return then we should have demanded he do so & let him rot on the sidelines but we didn't we bent over & took it as usual because the guys running the club since the demise of Dominic Keane have been gutless wonders.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was a pal of Flynn, who only brought him over to get him noticed in the UK mainland.

I don't think we paid that much & selling players for peanuts is our modus operandi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 pm