The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Season Expectations 220/21

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Season Expectations 220/21 Empty Season Expectations 220/21

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Same again, just staying up, or looking to get in amongst the European places this season, with there being 5 spots up for grabs. We just missed out on them last season with Covid stopping us in our tracks, reckon we're looking even stronger with the squad we have just now.

Lost Lawless, and Sarkic wont be here, but we've signed up 2 promising strikers to support Dykes, and Forrest on the wing, defence wise we're looking just as strong too.

I also see we're not being tipped for the bottom two, we've shown now that we're a solid Premiership team, course we can't get complacent, and will need to show the same graft and application of the last 4 seasons, but can't see that being a problem with the management team we have, no chance players will be getting comfortable thinking they've nothing to prove.

Being my optimistic self, i'm really having trouble staying grounded in my expectations, a bit of luck in the cups and we could get to a final, and don't see any reason not to be looking at another top 5 place, maybe even higher this time, but as always I expect Holt will be playing it down and coming out with the old 10th place target for league survival, which I really don't mind at all. Till about Xmas time anyway, then see where we are and hopefully set out sights higher.

So hoping for top 5, and a decent cup run, and would settle for another comfortable place around 9th, staying away from the bottom 3 teams battling it out. If we can maintain our excellent home form and just turn some of those away results into wins then we're sorted.

Hope John Ward has got the European situation sorted anyway, just in case we qualify for one of those places, would be gutting to qualify and not be able to play.
    Durnford

Season Expectations 220/21 Empty Re: Season Expectations 220/21

Post by Durnford Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 pm

We have a far stronger team than we had at the start of last season. With the loss of Halkett and Gallagher we were looking to rely on a new back four of Lamie; Lithgow; Pepe and Devlin. This season we seem to have a plethora of options; most of which have already played with some of the other defenders.

Midfield is as strong as ever it was and the attacking options are miles ahead of where we were for a few seasons.

Goalkeeping is the only real question mark but we have options there as well.

Looking at the opposition again its a difficult one to call; the bampot chairman for St Mirren has virtually guaranteed that they will finish in the top six; exactly what he's basing that on is a mystery.

Also how some teams will react to playing without home crowds is another question. unfortunately we dont play Celtic at their place until 19th September but, if the lockdown's still in place, it would be interesting to see how things pan out.

All in all my predictions are I don't know but I'm quietly optimistic. If the team do gel from the start we could be on the verge of something great; if not then... we're Livi supporters; we've lived through the Massone years.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Durnford wrote:We have a far stronger team than we had at the start of last season. With the loss of Halkett and Gallagher we were looking to rely on a new back four of Lamie; Lithgow; Pepe and Devlin. This season we seem to have a plethora of options; most of which have already played with some of the other defenders.

Midfield is as strong as ever it was and the attacking options are miles ahead of where we were for a few seasons.

Goalkeeping is the only real question mark but we have options there as well.

Looking at the opposition again its a difficult one to call; the bampot chairman for St Mirren has virtually guaranteed that they will finish in the top six; exactly what he's basing that on is a mystery.

Also how some teams will react to playing without home crowds is another question. unfortunately we dont play Celtic at their place until 19th September but, if the lockdown's still in place, it would be interesting to see how things pan out.

All in all my predictions are I don't know but I'm quietly optimistic. If the team do gel from the start we could be on the verge of something great; if not then... we're Livi supporters; we've lived through the Massone years.

Livingston did it. Laughing

Suppose we're a beacon for other smallish clubs, if we can win promotion to the Premiership with the 2nd smallest budget in the league then it's there for others to follow our example, same in the Premiership, we're punching well above our financial weight.

Difference is though, we've found a formula that works, and a management team, backroom staff, players, and board all working in sync, hard work has gone into our success, both on and off the pitch.

We have gone from strength to strength each season too, just when you think it can't get any better, we go and push on to an even greater height, which is why I think we can go one better again this season and get that European place. Certainly wouldn't write this Livi team off anyway, they keep on surpassing all expectations.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 am

I suppose the real question is whether the so called big teams actually live up to that billing & whether they have finally worked out a way to play us.

As usual I’d be delighted with 10th
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am

Have to wonder how the lack of a reserve league this year will impact players' fitness. Also, in previous years, we've used the Betfred (or whatever its called now) to blood players and check for formulas that work in a competitive game - obviously that will also be missing from the season start.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Yeah the BetFred cup has worked out brilliant for us since it started with group stages, using it as competitive pre season games for the start of our league campaign, we've also done well winning those group stages coming out top of the league. Don't think we've lost any of those games, and if we draw a league game in our first few opening games this season we wont be able to get a bonus point with a pen shout out. lol!

Hopefully we can adapt well to playing games in empty stadiums with no atmospheres, it'll be like when we played QP at Hampden, even with a few hundred fans it was really echoey and you could hear the players swearing etc, Martindale in particular will be heard shouting a lot.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Gonna make a bold prediction hoping Dykes will be playing, at least until January, i'm going for this:

Season Expectations 220/21 Scot-p11
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Not sure we’ll get 4th but I think you have nailed the top 3

https://ranked-list-images.files.bbci.co.uk/Scot-Prem-predictor202021-1a4f562a4cf42d78711a87952e7efd2d.html

I can never get it to appear like LF does scratch

Last edited by Bertie Bassett on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Seasons Expectations, ok here we go.Once again survival has to be top of the list for me.Although having said that,i feel with the squad weve got weve a realistic chance of maybe 7th or 8th.Think a lot could depend on Dykes staying or going as to us staying away from the bottom.Top 6 is a pipedream for me but of course others may differ. Weve a reasonably settled team at the moment and it would be terrific if they could replicate last seasons efforts.Gary,s right.The new boys might take time to integrate into the team.All in all im reasonably opptimistic for the coming season albeit how tough its gonna be. Getting back to the stadium will probably be up there with my highlights of what is sure to be the preverbial rollercoaster ride for all Livi fans.In that respect i wish Gary and all the lads the very best of luck and hopefully surprise a few people again. Do it.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:27 am

Liviforever wrote:
    Being my optimistic self, i'm really having trouble staying grounded in my expectations, a bit of luck in the cups and we could get to a final, and don't see any reason not to be looking at another top 5 place, maybe even higher this time, but as always I expect Holt will be playing it down and coming out with the old 10th place target for league survival, which I really don't mind at all. Till about Xmas time anyway, then see where we are and hopefully set out sights higher.

So hoping for top 5, and a decent cup run, and would settle for another comfortable place around 9th, staying away from the bottom 3 teams battling it out. If we can maintain our excellent home form and just turn some of those away results into wins then we're sorted.

Hope John Ward has got the European situation sorted anyway, just in case we qualify for one of those places, would be gutting to qualify and not be able to play.

Looking good so far, one more win and we're in a cup final, then who knows, another cup could be getting our name on it. Top 5 isn't looking out of the question now either, after a shaky start and a change of manager, we're looking very strong.

For the less optimistic/more grounded among us, we're prob only another 12 points away from having secured another season in the top flight, reckon 39 pts would be enough. Reckon we'll hit that no problem, then push on and secure a top 6 spot. The dream for me now though would be catching Hibs, that's my target for us, and playing in Europe next season.

Still can't quite believe we got promoted to the top flight, and now have a decent shot at the League cup, and maybe even playing in Europe again, what a journey we're on just now, and doing it the right way, sticking to a sensible budget.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:27 am

Glad you are enjoying seeing them almost achieving your expectations.... I’m delighted that they keep surpassing mine lol!

The plus side for you is the prolonged sense of anticipation which I’m sure heightens the euphoria once achieved, the downside being if the expectation isn’t met; but at least you’re sensible enough to accept that they may not achieve your expectations & you are happy that they are giving you a decent “run for your money”.

The way Hibs are going just now I think we may both have their 3rd place as an over estimation. Motherwell are the massive underachievers so far though & Celtic have been a disappointment with immortality in their grasp they have handed the title to their overachieving rivals.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 pm

Season Expectations 220/21 Sat_fi10

In all probability we'll have the top 6 spot wrapped up whether we get anything against Motherwell or not, can see Celtic and Sevco both winning, and Hibs getting at least a draw, which would mean our 40 pts total would be unassailable for Utd and St Johnstone, with them both only having one more game left to play.

Great chance to open up a gap on St Mirren though, and trying to secure another 5th place finish.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:41 pm

Liviforever wrote:Gonna make a bold prediction hoping Dykes will be playing, at least until January, i'm going for this:

Season Expectations 220/21 Scot-p11

New predictor up on the BBC website, with 6 games to go. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53383728

Sevco are Champions so that ones a done deal, pretty certain Celtic will be 2nd, and Hibs 3rd, so going to be bold and stick with my original prediction that we'll get 4th spot. St Mirren are only needing a win to secure 6th place pre split, but i'm going for a gamble that St Johnstone will nick it from them. Their form is still on the up, and can see Accies drawing with St Mirren next weekend. Would be even funnier if St Mirren dropped like a rock below Motherwell and Utd, but i'll go for them hanging on to 7th place, and Motherwell going above Utd to 8th.

Finally the relegation scrap, Killie going down, and Accies winning the play offs.

Season Expectations 220/21 Scot-p12
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am

Called it on St Johnstone pipping St Mirren to the top six.

Two interesting battles going on, well three actually, the bottom 3 are vey tight with ony 2 points between them for the relegation spot, and 1 point for the play offs, then there is us and St Johnstone for 5th place, and possible European spot, then us and Aberdeen for 4th place and automatic European spot. Everyone else has nothing much left to motivate themselves, so could see a few unexpected results.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Beating St Johnstone would do me. Anything else would be a bonus.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Beat Aberdeen and 4th is def on, hope we get them in the first game of fixtures. Anyone know when these post split fixtures are published?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:00 am