The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Us v The Staggies.

Troy

Us v The Staggies.  Empty Us v The Staggies.

Post by Troy Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:59 am

Dont really know if I can be arsed going to this,but reluctantly I will.Saturday was a disaster of major proportions littered with schoolboy defensive decisions. Got so excruciating i left before the end.A manager who's basically thrown the towel in and a team who are proving week by week that we are not good enough for this league.A cold Tuesday night in the last chance saloon, what could possibly go wrong. Desperation.🤷‍�🙈.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Us v The Staggies.  Empty Re: Us v The Staggies.

Post by Liviforever Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:58 pm

There are a few teams we're capable of catching still, County, St Johnstone, and Motherwell are all mince too, and there are still plenty games left to make up the points on them, but the longer we go without a win the more a defeatist attitude will grow and spread through our players and fans. A lot of fans have given up the ghost already, if the players have too, then we're def stuffed. I still think a league win would make a huge difference, but it has to come on Tues, because the following 2 games are as tough as they get, and we'll need some sort of lift in morale to go into them thinking we could cause upsets.

I'm maybe making a rod for my own back not just accepting we're down already, but goes against my nature throwing in the towel, where there's even a glimmer of light, i'm holding out hoping we can boot a hole through that despair and let in some sunshine.

On the game, i saw enough from our play to have confidence we can score a goal or 2, Bradley and Anderson, along with MacKay are good attacking mobile players, Brandon will hopefully start too, and if Penrice gets back to his usual form we'll have a good attack going. It's at the other end we need to be better, and hold firm for us to take the lead. Going a goal up and have County needing to chase the game would make a huge difference, and getting a win would lift all the coaching staff and players.

It's painful watching Martindale's post match interviews, for him as much as anyone, it would be great seeing us winning this game, so he doesn't have to stand there looking like a man going to the gallows.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:47 pm

County with 2 games in hand and and a +10 goal difference on us.I don't consider myself a defeatist rather a realist.As I've said we're the worst of a bad lot this season.Lose tomorrow night then that realism may just set in.Weve no buffer to rely on as opposed to previous campaigns.Weve brought this upon ourselves.Crying or Very sad.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:16 pm

I really don’t think we are any worse than a few sides but we have been hit with the usual malaise that affects clubs that can’t get out of a rut and can’t buy a win. The confidence goes and every bounce goes against you. Cast your mind back to winning at Easter Road, most of us were thinking we’d be in the mix for top six again. A week later we were a minute away from defeating the then high flying St Mirren but they salvaged a draw. We were at least as good as them. But we’ve won only 2 games since, Motherwell and Raith.

It happens to a lot of teams, they are no better or worse than a number of other teams but the chances are missed and every mistake is punished. We’ve played Dundee 3 times and been at least as good as them each time… but we have lost all 3 games.

St Johnstone were 6 or 7 adrift at one point but turned it around with a couple or three wins and some draws.

One win could make all the difference, unfortunately County apparently were very good on Saturday, so they might just smell blood knowing that if they beat us, they effectively seal our coffin lid.

We can win tomorrow if everyone picked plays to the best of their ability, we take our chances and defend like bears. Will we? I guess we’ll find out in just over 24 hours
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 pm

Yeah Nick, everything gets forced and even things like VAR not picking up decisions that would benefit us is far bigger for us, as we need every bit of help we can get just now.

Going a goal or 2 up makes players relax and things come off for them, a win could be something for us to build on, just a pity the following 2 games are Sevco and Killie away. The following 4 games are all very winnable though, and proceded by the cup game against Partick. Still hope imo, 48pts still to play for.

Hopefully Martindale has the players feeling we were robbed against Dundee, with those VAR decisions not chopping off their 3rd goal, and that feeling of injustice riles them up to put in a big performance tonight. Mon the Lions, go get those 3pts. cheers bounce
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 pm

If only we had a finisher as good as Murray… horrible individual but he can find the net blindfolded.

Again we had some decent play for very little reward, took both our goals well and both conceded were probably avoidable with better defending, but Murray took them well. Again we were as good if not better than them.

Good to see us fight back twice but unfortunately although it ends the league defeats, it’s not enough.

Bruce Anderson just can’t buy a goal, he should have scored but it did come at him a bit quickly and he seemed off balance when he hit it.

The referee was a complete joke. Booking Penrice for an innocuous trip that was unavoidable when the lad ran across his path, meanwhile the County player who deliberately tripped Holt got an arm round the shoulder and a quiet word in his ear. Every time we got a throw in he would gesticulate and whistle that we needed to go back, every time they got a throw they could steal yards with impunity.

Nouble gets fouled on the side lines and they get a throw in. Their lads fall over and get a foul.

I guess we’ll just have to defy the odds and get that first win at Castle Greyskull

Liviforever likes this post

orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 am

I watched the game on Sportscene. I still am not convinced that Murray was onside at the first goal. Is it just a player's foot that is considered or all of his body? The line they use on VAR up here is not as good as down south where you get a proper horizontal view. Murray's arm was in advance of his foot but you can't  see that on the line they draw. I know it is splitting hairs but that is what VAR is all about. The linesman flagged him offside and it was just the hair splitting of VAR (after an interminable wait) that gave the goal.
    If hands don't count ignore all of the above. 😄
    We just can't catch a break can we!
    We're probably down but it's disappointing for it to be so early.
    PS Why on earth did Nottingham play after his horror show on Saturday? Donnellan sitting on the bench. 🤷
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 am

I believe arms don’t count as you can’t score with them but the do measure to the armpit which to me is contradictory but if they can find a way to stick it to us they will, I was expecting Pitts goal to be chalked off for a foul by Guthrie, I mean how else would have won the header given he was being fouled all half without being given anything?
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:30 am

Utterly despondent watching that last night.The amount of gilt edged chances we had was frankly ridiculous at best.The effort was there but the quality was severly lacking.Simon Murray was a thorn in our side the whole game and I would concur that I'd love him in our team.Were all but down now,no argument there.Not sure how many of that lot will be around next season.Can see a cull in the close season.Oh,and almost forgot,the referee had an absolute shocker.The SFA officialdom have had it in for us for years,due to their collective inepness and the dreadfull drop in our performances theve got their wish finally.Cant wait for this season to peter out.Crying or Very sad.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:01 pm

Again, a decent attacking performance, albeit we need to take more of our chances*, but at least we're scoring goals and creating a lot.

Again a piss poor defensive performance costing us pts.

County were there for the taking, we were hit with a right kick in the nads for their 2nd goal, it was all Livi, throwing everything at them, then Nouble takes a rotten touch giving it away and we're on the back foot looking like Bambi on ice as we attempt to defend our goal. The ball goes agonizingly close to Nottingham's foot, but he doesn't even make an attempt to clear it, and it lands right at Murray's feet to slam into our net.

1st goal was another poor backline getting caught with a ball in behind (how many have we conceded like that this season), the keeper should still be saving that shot from a tight angle though, not seeing him as any better than Shamal tbh.

Can we start MacKay every game, about the only player who is full of confidence in front of goal, and is scoring too. Think we need to try bringing in a loan CB if we can't sign any wanting to come here, still plenty games left if we can sort our defence out.

*I say that, but if we stopped conceding silly goals scoring 2 goals would be enough for us to win games.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:29 pm

McGovern had no chance with the opener and Shamal wouldn’t have either. Murray did everything right. When you have a tight angle at the near post you go high & hard because the keeper invariable bends his knees to try for some “spring” but the pace of the shot gives him no reaction time. Keepers need to stand tall in that situation but rarely do so.

McGovern’s kicking is a bit lacking but that could just be lack of game time. He made a big save after spilling the ball, so at least he immediately atoned for his initial error.

We could do a lot worse than bring back Morgan Boyes. That said I don’t know how good a season he’s had at ICT.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:17 am

Auld Nick wrote:McGovern had no chance with the opener and Shamal wouldn’t have either. Murray did everything right. When you have a tight angle at the near post you go high & hard because the keeper invariable bends his knees to try for some “spring” but the pace of the shot gives him no reaction time. Keepers need to stand tall in that situation but rarely do so.

McGovern’s kicking is a bit lacking but that could just be lack of game time. He made a big save after spilling the ball, so at least he immediately atoned for his initial error.

We could do a lot worse than bring back Morgan Boyes. That said I don’t know how good a season he’s had at ICT.

It was hit straight at him, raising his hand would've stopped it. I'd have put my house on Craig Gordon stopping it, and any half decent keeper. From a County perspective it was a great finish, but i still think McGovern should've stopped it.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Think Ryan Giggs v David Seaman - hit a ball hard and high at the near post and you will probably score if you are on target. I’m not trying to defend McGovern, so far I’d agree he’s not any better than the others although that could be down to lack of game time before he came here, but I’m just stating the facts about near post shots. Very few keepers would have saved it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content