The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Troy
Auld Nick
orco
Liviforever
8 posters

TNS v Livi Irn Bru Cup

Liviforever
    Liviforever

TNS v Livi Irn Bru Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: TNS v Livi Irn Bru Cup

Post by Liviforever Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Mullen, Buchanan, Beany, Dave MacKay..................Doubt anyone is blaming Pittman, Mackin and Lithgow missed theirs too, that's football.

Not really that bothered we're out, though I enjoyed our wee cup run, we're still in the quarter final of the League Cup which is unexpected to say the least, nobody saw us getting past the group stages.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 am

I think my list of players who have missed pens was more impressive... Which is what I was on about. Not blaming Pittman at all, trying to put some perspective on it, players often get down on themselves after such things.

Said all along cups are a bonus when we do well.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

Mackin and Lithgow didn't miss their penalties though did they; their penalties were saved.

That being said I thought Lithgow's body language was all wrong when he stepped up; like he didn't believe he would score. Not sure about the Mackin one as S4C messed up the coverage of that entirely.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

Well they didn't score their pens which amounts to the same thing, if you hit a pen well the keeper isn't going to have a hope of saving it. But for all the pedantic feckers out there, all 3 failed to score their pens so it wasn't just down to Pittman. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yeah if you watched the game on the telly you wouldn't have seen Mackin's pen, bloody clowns were showing an ad break and cut to the keeper after he'd saved it, between that and them going to the crowd or dugout for 20 seconds during play it was annoying as feck.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:53 am

Liviforever wrote:Well they didn't score their pens which amounts to the same thing, if you hit a pen well the keeper isn't going to have a hope of saving it. But for all the pedantic feckers out there, all 3 failed to score their pens so it wasn't just down to Pittman. Rolling Eyes  Laughing

Yeah if you watched the game on the telly you wouldn't have seen Mackin's pen, bloody clowns were showing an ad break and cut to the keeper after he'd saved it, between that and them going to the crowd or dugout for 20 seconds during play it was annoying as feck.

I didn't say it was down to Scotty; In actually fact we should, and could, have won it well before that.

From the TV coverage it seemed that TNS played ten men in their own half for most of the time after having scored and we had trouble breaking them down. Mind you sticking with Danny Mullen up front as the sole attacking forward for the rest of the first half didn't exactly help.

Also I'm not sure that Alexander's hopping around on the line before each penalty made things any better; sometimes when the penalty taker saw him taking a leap to his right was an open invitation to slot the ball elsewhere; with his momentum already heading in the opposite direction it would have been more difficult to get back.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Durnford wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Well they didn't score their pens which amounts to the same thing, if you hit a pen well the keeper isn't going to have a hope of saving it. But for all the pedantic feckers out there, all 3 failed to score their pens so it wasn't just down to Pittman. Rolling Eyes  Laughing

I didn't say it was down to Scotty; In actually fact we should, and could, have won it well before that.

From the TV coverage it seemed that TNS played ten men in their own half for most of the time after having scored and we had trouble breaking them down. Mind you sticking with Danny Mullen up front as the sole attacking forward for the rest of the first half didn't exactly help.

Also I'm not sure that Alexander's hopping around on the line before each penalty made things any better; sometimes when the penalty taker saw him taking a leap to his right was an open invitation to slot the ball elsewhere; with his momentum already heading in the opposite direction it would have been more difficult to get back.

I didn't say you did, you were just being picky over the wording on my post, missing/not scoring (keeper saving/hitting over the bar), so I changed it for you. Razz
    Yeah after they scored from the poorly defended set piece they dropped deep, and playing one up front wasn't working. We needed a big lad in there to rough them up a bit with all the balls we were firing into their box. After we equalised though they came out and it was quite an open game with end to end football. Toddy's effort deserved to win it for us but really, he should've been on earlier to give him and us more of a chance.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Disappointing way to lose a game in any competition, but I think we should be taking some heart from the positives on Sunday. I imagine their budget is significantly larger than ours, and given they have the experience of winning nigh on every week as well as European experience, it was always going to be a tough game. They were all over us first 30 minutes, and it was disappointing again to see us lose a goal from a set piece at the back post. After that, thought we had the better of the play and second half we looked a far more competent team than they did at any point in the match. Deservedly equalised through Mackin, who I slagged off just two minutes before hand. Laughing Liked De Vita in the free role between midfield and attack and whilst we did tire during extra time, I'm amazed we didn't put it to bed. Some chance for Todorov but on another day it's a few inches lower and we're celebrating a good win against a solid team.

The penalty shootout was a bit farcical, to be honest. I've no qualms with the fact that ultimately, we missed more than they did, but you'd have to have some brass neck to say that the delay between the first and second penalties, and then the confusion over the third, didn't have an effect on the teams. Our own fault to a degree that we didn't settle, but in this instance I have to apportion the majority of the blame on the officials. If you're a match official in a cup game, you absolutely have to know the procedure with regards to the match format, especially in a professional tournament. Their 'keeper done well to save a few and score his (best penalty on the day IMO), but it was very weak of the lino to not at least pull him up about coming off his line early. Poor form but they got away with it and I'm sure we'd have done anything to garner an advantage, too.

Overall, not the disappointment I've been reading from certain quarters, especially given the resources and experience TNS have behind them. However, and it's genuinely not sour grapes when I say this, but without the funding they get, there's not a chance in hell they'd be able to compete with Scottish Championship sides in this competition. Home crowd must have been no more than 250-300, which is comparable with the top end of the Highland League and the bottom end of League 2. Good luck to them, although like last year, it would be interesting to see them against a team from our league with a bit more bite and composure in attack.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 pm

I don't think the ref knew what was happening in our game against Partick Th in the Betfred cup either, there was confusion over it going straight to Pens after the draw, officials are having a bit of a minter in our games.

I'm glad we won the Morton league game rather than this one though, would love to beat Hibs but again not too bothered if we don't, we got further in the cup comps than expected.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 am

Read yesterday that there is an SPFL enquiry into why the officials used the ab ba system for the pens as the SPFL do not recognise it as the format for shoot outs in their competitions... But the SPFL spokesman also said it wouldn't affect the result!!!

So clubs can make an administrative mistake and be forced to replay the game but when the officials make an administrative mistake the result stands. I think the ink is still damp in the SPFL rule book!
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 am

With the exception of maybe Dundee United the next round would simply be a money loser with the prospect of playing a team we're already playing four times this season or somewhere like Elgin City Cove Rangers mid week.

I honestly believe we're well out of it.

Please; no replays again.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Just replay the pen shoot out then. Laughing
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Liviforever wrote:Just replay the pen shoot out then. Laughing

I'm reminded of a episode of Porridge where there's a boxing match in Slade prison involving a boxing match with Lennie Godber and his opponent both told to throw the fight or else...

It was down to who'd hit the canvas first.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Durnford wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Just replay the pen shoot out then. Laughing

I'm reminded of a episode of Porridge where there's a boxing match in Slade prison involving a boxing match with Lennie Godber and his opponent both told to throw the fight or else...

It was down to who'd hit the canvas first.

Aye and they both took a dive at the same time and it was a draw. Laughing

Agree with you D, prob best we're out of this comp and it'll be one midweek game less to contend with. We've a tough week coming up with the Hibs away cup game sandwiched between the ICT & Falkirk away games.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't disagree but it bugs me that the high heid yins get away with their inconsistency
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm

I forgot to say who was sitting just along from me on Sunday - Jordan White. He got a great welcome from the Livi fans when they saw him coming in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content