The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Livi Colts v Forfar

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Livi Colts v Forfar Empty Livi Colts v Forfar

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Might head down to this game, could see Lithgow getting a game, along with 2nd choice keeper Stewart and Crane. Wee Knox and Hamilton will prob play too.
    orco
    orco

Livi Colts v Forfar Empty Re: Livi Colts v Forfar

Post by orco Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Will Lithgow qualify to play as a Livi colt? Wink
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm

It’s u21 this season but I don’t know if they are allowed overage players
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Apparently three overage players are allowed but I imagine there are also other criteria else you could play your first team goalkeeper every match foe example.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Durnford wrote:Apparently three overage players are allowed but I imagine there are also other criteria else you could play your first team goalkeeper every match foe example.

Just checked, its 2 overage players, and then anyone 21 and under (used to be 20).

Imagine the following will be in:
    Stewart/ Maley
    Crane/ Lamie/ Lithgow/ Keaghan
    Pettigrew
    McMillan
    Clark
    Blues
    Henderson
    McManus
    Knox
    Hamilton

Then a selection of 16/ 17 year olds (if we have any left)
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 pm

forzalfc wrote:
    Durnford wrote:Apparently three overage players are allowed but I imagine there are also other criteria else you could play your first team goalkeeper every match foe example.

Just checked, its 2 overage players, and then anyone 21 and under (used to be 20).

Stewart/ Maley
    Pettigrew
    McMillan
    Clark
    Blues
    Henderson
    McManus
    Knox
    Hamilton

I think you're only allowed 3 over age players in the squad, not on the field, and the rest have to be under 20. Its the colts; not the reserves.

Was thinking about going along tonight but doesn't seem worth it now; will be almost like we're just going through the motions.

Also although Hamilton qualifies on the age thing do we really want to risk him on a meaningless game?
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Durnford wrote:
    forzalfc wrote:

Stewart/ Maley
    Pettigrew
    McMillan
    Clark
    Blues
    Henderson
    McManus
    Knox
    Hamilton

I think you're only allowed 3 over age players in the squad, not on the field, and the rest have to be under 20. Its the colts; not the reserves.

Was thinking about going along tonight but doesn't seem worth it now; will be almost like we're just going through the motions.

Also although Hamilton qualifies on the age thing do we really want to risk him on a meaningless game?

I was going by this article - https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-colts-call-on-first-team-players-for-some-irn-bru-cup-fizz-1-4783177

Might be wrong right enough, they change the rules every season it seems.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Yeah they keep changing the rules to try amd give the colts team more of a chance of progressing through the rounds. Increasing the age limit and allowing some older players to play.

I'd like to see Hamilton getting a full game with someone up front beside him, so far he's come on or started when Lee Miller went off or wasn't playing. I think with a striker beside him helping him out he'd get on a lot better. Lithgow and Knox playing would make it interesting too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Lithgow won’t be anywhere near this side.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Here is the team & subs - Keaghan is captain

Pettigrew, Pignatiello, Clark, McMillan, Thomson, Jacobs, Blues, Rintoul, Hamilton, Knox & Watson.

Subs - Kinvig, Forrest, J Henderson, C Henderson, Vezza & Hay

Looks to me like we have stuck to the ethos of the competition with only 4 recongisable 1st team squad names & only 1 of them is over 21
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm

1-0 Livi at HT
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Game abandoned

Update - not yet official as engineers are still working on the problem.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Now off
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Well that was a bust, lights went off before the game started as the tannoy was announcing the team, got as far as the Forfar players then went dead.

Good performance by the young Lions, esp in the first half, gave as good as they got and played some neat football. Nice break up the pitch and goal by Watson, looks a good player. Keaghan was playmaker in midfield pulling the strings, Mr reliable. Young Pettigrew had a couple of dodgy moments taking high balls but pulled off a couple of terrific saves in the 2nd half.

2nd half Forfar were more dominant but we were still holding our own against them and had a couple of decent chances from breaks up the pitch and forcing their defenders into errors, which we pounced on, Knox and Keaghan had lobs over the keeper but going narrowly wide.

Pity the lights were knackered as we would've won this game, was never going to get to the end without floodlights though so wasn't surprised when the ref called a halt to the game.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm

See the next round is vs Sligo Rovers. Really difficult situation as do the club want to go to the not inconsiderable cost of playing an away game in Ireland (probably mid-week again) potentially requiring an overnight stay etc.?

Then again the boys wont be happy to go out and deliberately lose a game particularly after they were doing so well against Forfar before the game was pulled.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:18 pm

You get a few thousand pounds to cover expenses, would be a great experience for the young players, mon the Colts. cheers

It's funny but I was dead against the Colts pish when our first team had to play a Celtic bhoys team, but i'm more into it when it's out Colts playing, would still be refusing to go if it was us having to play Colts right enough. #confused.com scratch

Guess I can be more at ease with the whole thing if we get past Forfar and play an Irish team, they shouldn't really be in this comp either.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Next round is 8-9 September, so over the weekend.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 pm

forzalfc wrote:Next round is 8-9 September, so over the weekend.

Is there any particular reason we have a fortnight between Premiership league games in Sept?

Hope we get through, i'll watch it on bbc alba if we do, and if they televise it (usually do).
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 pm

I’m sure it’s an international break weekend. Friendly against Belgium & Euro League against Albania
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Another entertaining game, Forfar went down to 10 men and just sat in to hit us on the counter all game, they had a wee break up the pitch evert 10 mins or so and Pettigrew made some good saves. Livi had some good build up play and got a lot of shots in at goal, Keaghan's was prob the best of them but their keeper saved it, so it eventually went to pens and we won, Fully deserved for all the effort and dominance from the young Lions.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 am

Enjoyable evening frustrated perhaps a bit by Forfar's tendency to play eight men behind the ball most of the time.

Pettigrew had an excellent game. Also thought Pignatello; Thomson and Rintoul particularly stood out although that doesn't mean any of the other's played badly. Really questioned Knox's decision making at times though; trying a weak shot from distance or missing Pignatello running up the wing was a bit of a bugbear.

Jacobs did what Jacobs does best; commanded the centre and marshalled the delivery.

McMillan played well but I couldn't get over the thought of how much he now looks like Callum Fordyce; not only build and appearance but also stance and the way he moves - was a bit of a flash back.

Thought Hamilton had a quiet game by his standards; not counting the penalty which almost blasted the back of the net.

Felt sorry for Watson having his penalty saved; particularly when his goal in the abandoned game no longer counts.

Easton really was a silly sod, no need for it, he'd already got the free kick and Rintoul had been booked. I mean he's twenty four, its not like he's a hot headed kid anymore. That being said I thought the referee would possibly just give him a talking to and maybe a yellow - it wasn't as if it poleaxed Rintoul but them's the rule I suppose; violent conduct is violent conduct.

So the kids qualify for playing in europe - the first Livi team to play a game outside the UK since the match against SK Sturm Graz Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am