The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

European Football 2020/21 Season

Liviforever
    Liviforever

European Football 2020/21 Season Empty European Football 2020/21 Season

Post by Liviforever Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:07 pm

So what are our chances of playing in the Europa cup next season then, 3rd place now looks up for grabs too with Motherwell's loss to St Mirren last night, leaving them only 4 points ahead of us. Aberdeen and Motherwell are on terrible runs, both seem likely to keep on dropping points and not taking advantage of one another's defeats, opening it up for us and/or Hibs to get above them.

I reckon we can catch them both by the split, then it's all to play for in the last 5 games against the top 6 teams.

Can't see Killie or St Johnstone even getting to 38 points pre split, let alone the 39 they'd need to get above us with our GD over them, but we'll add another 5 or 6 points onto that anyway so we're absolutely getting a top 6 spot. So question is, can we also grab 3rd place for a straight up qualifier, or 4th depending on one of the Glasgow erse cheeks winning the Scottish cup for a Europa cup spot.

And if we do, will this be an even greater accomplishment than the Livi legends of 2001/02 season? I think it would.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

European Football 2020/21 Season Empty Re: European Football 2020/21 Season

Post by Auld Nick Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

IMO That would eclipse the 01/02 achievement (although I don’t think we’ll match the points tally) as we’d have done it on a much smaller budget & with a less “fashionable” squad.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm

We've got two away games before the split but they just happen to be v St Johnstone and Killie, the two teams that have a chance if getting a top six spot. Combine this with our poor away win ratio and I'm not as optimistic as you. I'd take draws against both if those teams tbh.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:41 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:IMO That would eclipse the 01/02 achievement (although I don’t think we’ll match the points tally) as we’d have done it on a much smaller budget & with a less “fashionable” squad.

Don't think I've ever had a fashionable side.

First things first; we need to ensure we're in the top six. Personally I don't think either Killie or St. Johnstone have a chance of catching us. Saints have a pretty tough run with Hibernian and Celtic away. Killie have arguably the slightly easier remaining five games but still face us; Motherwell (away) and Aberdeen at home - plus obviously they're six points and goal difference behind us.

Moving on to a top 3 or 4 place at the end of the season; In my opinion I think we have a real chance of catching Motherwell and maybe even Aberdeen (although I suspect they'll pick their game up again after the split) but Hibs are the biggest threat. Although they obviously have gaps, it obviously seems that Ross has really snapped them into shape.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:03 am

Yeah Hibs are on a decent run, but a lot of draws in there, and I still don't think they're improved enough to be better than us. Aberdeen are the one's I worry about most, not that I think they're anything great, but we just can't bloody beat them, and we'll have to play them twice, so unless we can get that elusive win against them it'll be 6 points that we really can't afford to be giving them.

Exciting end to our season whatever happens, think we're 25/1 odds to get 3rd now, worth a tenner, prob got more chance of winning that than our HT draw tbh. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 am