The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Motherwell v Livi

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Motherwell v Livi Empty Motherwell v Livi

Post by Liviforever Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Last game of December with the early Winter Break because of Omicron, hopefully it'll reduce the infection rate and fans get back to games in January.

Always a place we struggle to get points, and Tony Watt always seems to have a blinding game against us too, so not overly confident of us getting anything. Nope, can't get my hopes up here at all, i've got a touch of the Grinch for this game.

Motherwell v Livi Grinch10

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Motherwell v Livi Empty Re: Motherwell v Livi

Post by Auld Nick Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Welcome to the dark side LF - mwa ha ha ha ha ha

I agree
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:34 am

I'm the same. I've written this one off.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:03 am

Would love to see Pitts Odin and Bruce start this one.Didnt realise Nicky was out for this one.A point here would be great here,but itl be tough.Well are in decent form and will expect the 3.Would be unexpected if we took something from this,but I darent right our boys off.Anyways,a Merry Christmas to all our posters and stay safe.Lol.T.🦁👍santa.

Liviforever likes this post

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Yeah checked our past results since coming up and we have 1 draw and 3 defeats at Firpark, so not very good. Another way to spin it is we're long overdue a win there, but i'm no holding my breath.

I'm hoping all this negativity will pay off with Livi surprising us all and getting a win here. lol!
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Dissapointing end of the year for us unfortunately. I had the fear when I saw the starting 11 and it justified my sceptism. Said before,was looking for Pitts Bailey and Anderson to start for us.For one reason or another none did.The game was over for me when the second went in albeit a late rally from us came too late.Only Forrest knows what he was doing pre their first,but some strike from Van Veen.Only crumb of comfort from today was seeing all those below us losing as well so no damage done.It seems a break will come at the right time for us and allow ourselves to regather and get ready for the second half of the season.Chins up guys.🦁👍.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:50 pm

Another game where we barely tested their keeper, Motherwell have a good defence but we made it easy for them, too many intricate passes, threading the ball through a needle, instead of just getting it into the box, or having a shot.

Can't wait for Nouble to join us, looks like a player that will take defenders on and have them on the back foot, opening up spaces. We also need Anderson to start, him and Panayiotou did more than Shinnie, Forrest and Sibbs did all game as an attacking threat to their goal. Penrice is a good player too, and we need to use him more, and play balls for him to run onto, instead of at him, or behind.

Didn't think we'd get anything, but still disappointing when you see Motherwell wasn't any better than us, in fact but for their free kick, i thought we edged the first half. Problem is we're toothless up front, and can't turn all that possession in their final third into goals.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:04 am

Yeh,totally agree L/F.Martindales reluctance to start without a recognised striker so repetitively is so dissapointing to say in the least.Yeh I get covid injuries etc but you can read it like a proverbial book.Two avoidable goals yesterday for Well.The first,stupid foul by Forrest so close to our goal and the second a free header which could have been avoided.Your right,the damage had already been done before we had a right go at them.So frustrating as there wasn't much between the teams.We need to get that cutting edge back or could find ourselves sucked back in.The players have an extensive break now till 18th of January.I sincerely hope we use it to our advantage and come back for the second half of the season ready to go again.Surely our striking options will get better and give us a chance of pulling away.Any way see yous on the other side.🦁👍🤞.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:03 pm

Sometimes I think DM thinks his initials are PG, flooding the squad with midfielders, playing out from the back, trying to pass teams to death & playing with a “false 9” and a refusal to change… and he has also been guilty of changing our normal game plan to counter the opposition only for it to fail… which is something Guardiola has also been guilty of.

Must be because they have the same hairdo Laughing

We are capable of matching most teams in this division when we play to our strengths, and while it’s good to develop and adapt to become less predictable, there is no point repeatedly doing things that aren’t working.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Ive no problem with us playing it out from the back, we're actually good at it, and playing it through midfield too, but up front in the final third we have 3 and 4 players knocking it about over on the wing outside the 18 yard box, and nae aunt making any runs into their box. We're trying to pass it into the net and it isn't working.

Motherwell in contrast booted it up to VV, and got it into our box at every opportunity. A lot like we used to do, even taking the long throw ins into our box, though they're not very good at them, maybe worked for them when Dec played in their team.

Interesting that our best front 3 was Montano-Anderson-Bailey, with Forrest coming on as sub 2nd half for Montano & Anderson in those 2 games, where we scored 6 goals. Since then we haven't scored more than 1 goal in any of our next 10 games, where Shinnie has largely been picked over Anderson.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:31 am

Yes, we can play out from the back quite well but it does two things… it invites the opposition to press & if they win the ball they are in a good position to hurt us (just like we used to do); it also means we don’t get up the park particularly quickly allowing them to defend in depth (rather than press) causing us to lack penetration in the final third.

Shinnie has had 1 good game up front resulting in an excellent goal & win over Celtic but apart from winning a pen at Tannadice when he came on as a sub he hasn’t been all that effective & is much better suited to midfield.

Anderson was automatic first choice until that Celtic game & his selection seems to also have been affected by his diabetic situation, almost like DM doesn’t trust him fully.

Forrest can be exciting but can also be very predictable & his shot isn’t as good as he thinks it is.
    Bailey has been effective but is a bit lightweight. Montano is a bit like Ted McMinn but doesn’t have as good an end product. I think Bailey & Montano starting means Forrest can come on against tiring defenders & possibly have more impact than when he starts.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:28 pm

Inviting them onto us/drawing them out, is also a good way to open up space in their half, but as you say, we have to move the ball up quickly and not dither about with it.

Penrice makes great runs up the left wing, but largely gets ignored, then we slowly shift the ball across the middle of the pitch to him and pass it straight to him, or behind him, which gives him nowhere to go with it but pass it back again. We're needing to hit long balls across to him, switching wings, and getting the ball up the channel ahead for him to run onto.

Yeah Montano is a bit like Dolly Menga controlling the ball and having headers/shots at goal, but he's a good target man for high balls, for Bailey and Anderson to play off, and also causes havoc inside the opposition box with his unpredictability, and physical presence. Looked like he did his hamstring in against Utd though. Nouble will hopefully come in and do the same sort of job, only a bit better, as he looks a real baller for a big guy.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:46 am

Agreed- we’ve been saying it all season; we miss the channel balls that Dec used to play but it doesn’t have to be that pass, just something for Penrice or Longridge to run onto because when they do get it they often work well with Forrest or whoever is on the left wing to get into the box.

It’s the dithering that is doing my head in, especially when we are behind.

I also feel like Devlin is more restrained in his forward forays this season.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 am