The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Afro
Auld Nick
LiviCub
Troy
orco
Liviforever
10 posters

Player Of The Year 2016/17

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Player Of The Year 2016/17 Empty Player Of The Year 2016/17

Post by Liviforever Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:02 am

Couldn't separate Pittman and Buchanan until this week, now that Liam has broken Beany's record for most goals scored in a season it has to be him. I mean how can you be Livi's record holder for most goals scored in a season and not be PoTY.

So for me Liam Buchanan is our PoTY, what would be your choice?
    orco
    orco

Player Of The Year 2016/17 Empty Re: Player Of The Year 2016/17

Post by orco Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 am

It's a close call but I voted for Pittman. He is consistently good every week. He works like a Trojan and never gives up. Plus, he is signed up for next season meaning the Livi tradition of our players of the year moving on can't happen. Laughing .I'd love Buchanan to sign a new deal too though.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Yep would tend to agree with you Orco.Would be a popular choice although Buchannon certainly deserves a crack at it.Not sure if he will be with us next season but like you i really hope he stays with us.He is a prolific goal scorer and they are in demand for many teams right now.Honourable mentions for Halkett and wee Josh who have both been outstanding this term.Its gonna be tough choosing but whoever gets it will be a worthy recipient in my view.Good luck to all of them and thanks for your efforts this season.LOL.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:57 pm

PotY for Pittman. YPotY for Halkett. With these two, if you dropped either of them, you wouldn't get a player who performs to the same standard. You could drop Buchanan and bring in Mullen or vice versa. And the same can be said with Cadden, Mullin, Byrne etc. Someone drops out and for this league, you could bring someone in who could do a similar job.

I've got a feeling that Halkett will be away at the end of this season. Teams like Morton, Queens, Falkirk or even St Mirren (if they stay up) will pick him up. They're moderately closer to Glasgow (presuming he still lives through there) and they'll offer him a better salary.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd give the Young Player award to Halkett. He's still only 21.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Yep Halkett deserves something, so i'd give him YPoTY. He is ok at RB but since his switch to CB he's been outstanding.

Looks like it is going to be close between Pittman and Buchanan, maybe should give it to them both to share. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Pittman was streets ahead of everyone up until the turn of the year, I don't think he's been quite as effective since then but he still puts in a terrific amount of work every week. So he would be my PotY.

Halkett has been the outstanding defender & took the captain's responsibilities in his stride when Crighton was dropped. He is easily YPotY.

Buchanan has set the scoring record but to my mind hasn't always played well. He doesn't have me on the edge of my seat when he is on the ball the way Griffiths or Russell or even Winters used to. He is more of a goal poacher than a dynamic force. So for that reason he doesn't figure in my thinking.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Yeah but when Buchanan gets on the ball and shoots it generally hits the target, that's why he scores so many goals. Just have to look at his stats on the BBC, they are better than anyone else by a good bit, even Andy Ryan is way behind him. Ally McCoist was a great poacher too, so was Gary Lineker, nothing wrong with that at all, they scored hell of a lot of goals. Dunno if the highlights are up on the game against Alloa earlier in the season or if it was last season, where Buchanan rolled the Alloa player inside our half and ran all the way up the pitch and stuck it past their keeper, which showed he can score solo goals too.

I like his energy to chase balls down and pressure defenders, both Buchanan and Mullen do that and work well together. Mullen is a bit more varied in his shooting, he scores some brilliant 25 yarders that Buchanan wouldn't try, but again that'll be why Buchanan scores  more than Mullen, he takes a shot when he knows it'll hit the target and not just have a pot shot from range.

There's no way we'd be top of the league without Buchanan in our team,
    not unless we had signed another 20+ goals striker, Buchanan would've been just as big a loss as Pittman if he'd been injured.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Id like to see his goals to shots ratio.

I am not disagreeing with you on his ability to find the net, this season anyway, but he has missed 2 or 3 penalties which were pass backs rather than shots, so I simply can't put him in the frame for PotY.

I've also seen him waste opportunities taking a shot on when a pass to an open team mate in a better position would have provided a better chance of scoring. Mullen has been guilty of that too so I guess it's part of the goalscorers psyche. They have to be a wee bit selfish in order to bag the goals.

I've seen him score decent goals as well but I stand by my opinion, he's more of a poacher than anything else. I will give him credit though for mugging Mensing the other week to set up the opening goal. But I'd like him to have done more of that over the season for him to be under consideration.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

Pittman PoTY and Halkett YPoTY. Buchanan's scored a shed load but I'm sure I read on Twitter a few weeks back that his goals have only directly contributed to us picking up a handful of points, e.g. scoring the decisive goal in a 2-1 win etc. Pittman's been very consistent since he joined us, which is pretty incredible considering the situation he was jettisoned into, the dross he had around him last season, and rough and tumble nature of this league this season. Ideally, I'd like to see him chip in with a few more goals and I think AM is a position he is more effective in, incredibly, than DM. Would be more than happy to see him stay here for the considerable future. Same goes for Halkett, he's developed into a cracking player, even throughout his time punted out at RB. I'd have no qualms with him becoming the captain next season, however I have a sneaky he'll move on to bigger and better things, even if it's in the upper reaches of the Championship.

Special mentions to Byrne for his form since November time, Crighton for being a general revelation at RB and Mullen for finally showing what he can do.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Id like to see his goals to shots ratio.

I am not disagreeing with you on his ability to find the net, this season anyway, but he has missed 2 or 3 penalties which were pass backs rather than shots, so I simply can't put him in the frame for PotY.

I've also seen him waste opportunities taking a shot on when a pass to an open team mate in a better position would have provided a better chance of scoring. Mullen has been guilty of that too so I guess it's part of the goalscorers psyche. They have to be a wee bit selfish in order to bag the goals.

I've seen him score decent goals as well but I stand by my opinion, he's more of a poacher than anything else. I will give him credit though for mugging Mensing the other week to set up the opening goal. But I'd like him to have done more of that over the season for him to be under consideration.
     He missed two penalties so you can't give him PoTY, ffs Bertie he's just broken Beany's record as ou top scorer for most goals in a season and is on 25 goals. Laughing  Top scorer in the league and Livi's top scorer too, being bloody picky there mate. lol!

He's got the best shots to goals ratio in the league, his stats are on the BBC top goal scorers page: 56 shots at goal, 44 on target, 79% shots accuracy is bloody good. The League's 2nd top scorer Andy Ryan who a lot of opposition fans rate highly has a shots accuracy of 60%. Danny Mullen has one of 52%

1. Liam Buchanan

2. Livingston
      118 mins per goal
      2356 mins played
      20 Goals scored
      4 Assists

Shots on target

Total

79%

[*]

1. Andy Ryan

1. Airdrieonians
      141 mins per goal
      2398 mins played
    2. 17 Goals scored
      4 Assists
    3. Shots on target

Total

60%

Scott Pittman

Livingston
    462 mins per goal
    2773 mins played
    6 Goals scored
    3 Assists

Shots on target

Total

53%
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Pittman was streets ahead of everyone up until the turn of the year, I don't think he's been quite as effective since then but he still puts in a terrific amount of work every week. So he would be my PotY.

I think it started with the injury to Mikey Miller who was sitting in front of the defence which allowed Pittman to play in a more attacking position. Because of that injury, Hopkin's relied heavily on Byrne and Pittman to do the dirty work to allow the wingers and forwards to push further up. I don't think anyone should criticise the attitude of both of these players.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Quite a difference from last season where we struggled to name a PoTY, it was more a case of saying who wasn't the worst player rather than who has been our best. This season we have about 5 who have been outstanding and although I have my own opinion on who should be given the award, i'm not going to be put out if any of the ones being mentioned gets it. Byrne, Halkett, Pittman. Buchanan, Mullen, and up until his injury Mikey Miller have all been outstanding this season.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Make that 3 penalty misses....

Pittman scoring yesterday & Buchanan missing the pen & not knowing that he was not allowed to touch it again; Pittman is definitely PotY
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:15 pm

I still get the feeling Buchanan will win it (will def get the official PoTY from the club anyway), and deservedly so imo, our new record holder for most goals scored in a season and could even afford to miss 3 penalties to do it, what a player.

Scotty P is my 2nd choice but Byrne is showing some form too, I think he's just as good as Pittman in midfield but hasn't got the same goal threat so is slightly behind him. Great having those 2 in midfield though.

Halkett is class in defence, Byrne and Pittman are quality in midfield, and Buchanan is a goal machine up front, we've been lucky to have such players this season, they'd all perform comfortably in the Championship too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Buchanan needs the service to be a goal machine in the second tier, as we noted he bagged 11 last season in a struggling side but despite a few blips we have skooshed it this season, creating far more chances and he has more than doubled his tally. If we don't create the chances his output will drop because he rarely creates his own chance from nothing, he more often than not converts a chance created for him or pounces on the scraps of others.

I agree that all those players should be good enough next season, I think we have a few others that should be fine too but it will be quite a bit tougher next season than it was this season.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Buchanan needs the service to be a goal machine in the second tier, as we noted he bagged 11 last season in a struggling side but despite a few blips we have skooshed it this season, creating far more chances and he has more than doubled his tally. If we don't create the chances his output will drop because he rarely creates his own chance from nothing, he more often than not converts a chance created for him or pounces on the scraps of others.

I agree that all those players should be good enough next season, I think we have a few others that should be fine too but it will be quite a bit tougher next season than it was this season.

Nah that's not true Bertie, you admitted yourself he would've got more goals last season if he'd played more games, both him and White were messed about by Burchill and then Hopkin, that's why he got 11 league goals and then another 2 in the play offs. Start him in every game and he'll get 15+ goals easy in the Championship. Don't agree with you about him rarely creating chances on his own, just look at his 2nd goal against Brechin, he cut inside with players in front of him and rattled it past the keeper. Scored a cracker against Sevco away last season too, and ran from inside our half to score a solo goal away to Alloa last season, he's more than just a poacher. He rolls players well, which I see Mullen doing this season (imo he's learnt a lot from playing with Buchanan), and does a lot of chasing down players forcing them to make passes, his off the ball work rate is excellent.

He's obv scored more this season playing in a lower league, not just because he's got better service, Russell was the same when he got the old record for most goals scored in a season, the higher up you go the less goals you'll score because defenders are better and you're playing against better quality players, 15 goals is a good return in the Championship and I reckon he'll get more than that next season, i'd put Buchanan on par with Dobbie just now.

Dunno what it is you're being so critical for, what exactly has he to do to please you, other than scoring 25 goals for us and breaking Beany's record, seriously mate, give him the praise he deserves. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Of course I mentioned we under utilised him, we also played White out of position to accommodate him at times. Bottom line is he needs fed the chances to score with the same frequency. Of course it will be harder, it's a tougher league, so what bit isn't true?

2nd goal v Brechin
    1st of all - He received the ball from a pass, he had work to do & did it superbly.
    2nd of all - I said rarely not never... You only came up with 2 more from more than 30 goals

Nowhere have I said he's had a bad season except in relation to his abysmal penalty record.

If he was as good as you are suggesting he'd have been in the top tier rather than the lower divisions.
    Do I want him to stay? Unquestionably.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Of course I mentioned we under utilised him, we also played White out of position to accommodate him at times. Bottom line is he needs fed the chances to score with the same frequency. Of course it will be harder, it's a tougher league, so what bit isn't true?

2nd goal v Brechin
    1st of all - He received the ball from a pass, he had work to do & did it superbly.
    2nd of all - I said rarely not never... You only came up with 2 more from more than 30 goals

Nowhere have I said he's had a bad season except in relation to his abysmal penalty record.

If he was as good as you are suggesting he'd have been in the top tier rather than the lower divisions.
    Do I want him to stay? Unquestionably.

Yeah it was more the way the tone of your post came across, in a disparaging way.

What the same as Gallagher would? Gallagher could easily be playing in a higher league, and i'm still bemused as to why he knocked back Dundee in the Premiership to play with us, but thank goodness he did. Buchanan however has played the best football of his career in his last 3 seasons, the form he is in just now he is def good enough for a top 4 Championship team. Normally players hit their prime around 27/28 but Buchanan has hit his in his 30's.

Hey i'm not going to go over every one of his goals just to prove a point to you Bertie, as much as I like to check over stats i'm not that sad i'm going to spend time looking at all his goals to see how many he scored with individual efforts. Laughing  Bottom line is I know he can score more than ones laid on a plate as I've seen him doing it and those ones stuck out in my mind.

He's our record goal scorer and you seem to want to pick out things to take away from his magnificent accomplishment, in some way to show Pittman deserves the PoTY more than Buchanan.
    I have no problem with Pittman getting it, he's had a fantastic season, same as a few of our players have, and is a brilliant midfielder who works hard and has shown how good he is both in attack and defence, but imo Buchanan deserves it more for what he's done this season. I'm not going to start picking things out from games Pittman hasn't performed well in though, just to show Buchanan deserves it more, both of us have our opinions, same as everyone that will vote, whoever gets it will be a worthy winner.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Last year it was Danny Mullen this year it's Liam Buchanan, next season you will probably champion someone else & I'll disagree, it's the way of things, get used to it lol!

Gallagher maybe wanted to go lower profile because of his impending court case when he came to us. Who knows? But I agree we got a very good player unexpectedly.

Liam's goal scoring exploits have certainly been a massive factor in our success this season but as you were so fond of pointing out to Stato Smithy, you have to look at more than just the stats. Buchanan's goals make him a lazy choice, folk don't look any further or examine the bigger picture.

Personally, I would give him a specific award for breaking/setting the record, but Pittman has been MotM most weeks so for sheer consistency of performing to a high standard every week, he is my PotY.

There are usually more awards than just one though, so it is conceivable that they will be shared out.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Difference between Mullen last season and Buchanan this season though Bertie,  Mullen was playing well in games but a bit inconsistent so you at least had an argument there, not with Buchanan though, Buchanan is producing the goods.

Nothing to do with laziness going for Buchanan, his overall play is also a factor, works hard, does a lot off the ball, and scores goals, lots of goals, the most goals in a season of any Livi player, if that doesn't deserve PoTY then nothing does.

I recognized Pittman's qualities too and as I said a few times it was neck and neck between the two for me all season, but Buchanan's goal record wins it for me. Buchanan got into the SPFL team of the week last week for his goals against Brechin, Pittman got into it this week for his thunderfeck of a goal against Alloa, they've both been like that all season.

On your last sentence, yeah I said that too, prob be 3 different awards from the Club and fans' groups, I think the club will give Buchanan it, and one of the fans' groups will give Pittman it. It'll be interesting to see who the players vote for, in the SPFL PoTY, Buchanan may well be the top SPFL goal scorer too.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 pm

^^^^ Thunderfeck lol!
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Any idea when/ were the ceremony is taking place?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 pm

forzalfc wrote:Any idea when/ were the ceremony is taking place?

Heard it was the 29th April after the Peterhead game, that's when the trophy is being presented too, that's our last home game. Haven't seen it announced officially yet though.

Voting for the PoTY award on here, get yer votes in: http://livingstonfc.co.uk/fans-player-year-201617/
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Date confirmed now.

Player Of The Year 2016/17 Poty-2017

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm