The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Liviforever
Auld Nick
6 posters

Stranraer v Livi Betfred 23/7

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Stranraer v Livi Betfred 23/7 Empty Stranraer v Livi Betfred 23/7

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 am

What? The morning of the 23rd and no match thread?

We can afford a win on pens but we really ought to be giving them a beating.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Stranraer v Livi Betfred 23/7 Empty Re: Stranraer v Livi Betfred 23/7

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 am

Yep, looking at Falkirk's stats against them, shots 22/4,  on target 10/2, corners 8/5, possession 61%/39%. Falkirk pretty dominant, but the all important one, Falkirk 1-0 Stranraer, they only won by one goal, so expecting it to be pretty scrappy with full bloodied challenges going in from Stranraer.

If we do score first again, it would be good if we could then get a 2nd goal to make it more comfortable, and kill Stranraer off. So far we've had good first halves but haven't came out in the 2nd and done so well.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:42 am

Just read Stranraer's match preview on their OS and it confirms what i'm expecting from them, blood and thunder stuff, he'll have them all psyched up for a tough physical battle with us.

“They are a right good side in Scotland and they play in a unique way and it works for them.

“We know we are going to have to be strong, physical and stand up but that is good because I am looking forward to that side.”
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 am

I'd love to win this one significantly but personally would be more happy to get through the game without any injuries.

Difficult to know how to approach this one actually; do we start off by playing a few fringe players with some first-teamers on the bench or go all out for a couple of goals lead and then start to swap people out?
    Troy

Post by Troy Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Dont know why but i always get a feeling of caution when playing against Stranraer.The fact that like Ayr the other week they put a shitload past an admitidly poor Berwick side will mean i think that Gary will take take them lightly.Not sure about what team Gary will put out tonight but feel it should be good enough to get a favourable result in a dodgy wee tie.Our destiny in this group is in our own hands and in that respect i wish the lads well down their and confident they can come back up the road with the three points that should put us into the next round.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Troy wrote:Dont know why but i always get a feeling of caution when playing against Stranraer.

I think every Livi supporter knows the answer to that one...
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm

If we can win tonight and on Sat comfortably, we're pretty much guaranteed top seed for the next round, so avoiding the OF/ Aberdeen / Killie etc
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm

If we can win tonight and on Sat comfortably, we're pretty much guaranteed top seed for the next round, so avoiding the OF/ Aberdeen / Killie etc
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:29 pm

We seem to always draw either one of the Edin Premiership teams in this comp, and narrowly lose to them, would be good if we got a home draw against one of them for a change.

Firstly we have to dispatch with Stranraer and Berwick though, mon the Lions, you can do it. cheers
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Some more of this would do.

Beany and Sparky, what would we give to have a pair of goal scoring strikers like that now.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Even 1 of them would be useful.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm

Well we scored a 2nd goal and went 2 up at HT, couldn't bloody well hold onto that 2 goal lead though and had to have us holding on to the end with a 1 goal lead. Still, almost there now, just Berwick to beat and we've done it, might even score 3 this time.

Good to see Souda getting another goal too, boy's scored as many goals with us in 2 games than he has for the last 2 teams he's played for. cheers
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 pm

We made heavy weather of that tonight. We should have had them dead and buried by half time but the two goal lead was halved early in the second half. The first goal was a stonewall penalty and the second was a tap in that even I could have scored. Their goal came from defensive errors and made for a nerve-racking second half during which Stranraer did not make things easy for us. Again we should have buried several chances. We hung on though and deserved the win over the 90 minutes.
    Decent refereeing too for a change. Shocked
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 am

At least we won, team is very much a WIP at the moment

Bairns only took 3 off Berwick last night so either they were content to get the points or Berwick have tightened up at the back.

Either way, while we should be aiming for a confidence boosting goal fest... I’d take a win & save the goals for the league campaign.
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am

Yeh,as i thought before hand this was gonna be a tricky tie for us against a dogged Stranraer side.Slightly worrying about all these 2 1 wins when others seem to be banging them in.Maye re enforces the feeling that we need another striker to help us out before the season starts proper.Anyway we got the win that puts us in a strong position in the group albeit making it a wee bit harder than it should be so roll on Saturday against the wee Rangers.Well done the Lions.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:At least we won, team is very much a WIP at the moment

Bairns only took 3 off Berwick last night so either they were content to get the points or Berwick have tightened up at the back.

Either way, while we should be aiming for a confidence boosting goal fest... I’d take a win & save the goals for the league campaign.

Aye everyone else that has had a goal fest against Berwick has lost their next game (to us). So maybe we're better no banging in 7 or 8 goals, and keeping some back for Motherwell.

I'm getting a tad worried i'm starting to think like you now Bertie. Shocked lol!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

Highlights are up.

Looks like those pre season pen misses are behind us, well put away by Lawless. Good lay off by Devlin for our 2nd goal.

Their goal, deary me, we totaiiy switched off for that one. Hopefully we get this sort of defensive frailties sorted for the league starting.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:20 am

We are crying out for someone to take advantage of the flick ons from Dykes. He wins so many of those high balls and there is no one to take advantage. Hardie would have been ideal. We need a poaching striker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:08 pm