The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Auld Nick
Liviforever
6 posters

Livi v St Johnstone LEAGUE CUP FINAL

Livi2020

Livi v St Johnstone LEAGUE CUP FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Livi v St Johnstone LEAGUE CUP FINAL

Post by Livi2020 Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:25 pm

italion wrote:
    Livi2020 wrote:Sorry to say but wrong team put out by DM - that cost us 🤬
    First have thought we were better but second half we were not existent 🤦‍�🤬
    Always next year 🦁🦁

Have to agree.
    Gave St Johnstone to much respect at the expense of our natural game.
    Midfield was non existent.

100% agree.. Very defensive setup, felt like a 2 legged tie and we were playing first leg away - set up trying not to lose rather than trying to have a go and win the game.
    Troy

Livi v St Johnstone LEAGUE CUP FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Livi v St Johnstone LEAGUE CUP FINAL

Post by Troy Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Had to compose myself before posting.
    We were abysmal for most of that game and got exactly what we deserved. The formation from the start was obviously not working but credit to St Johnstone who got their tactics spot on.We just couldnt get going and i can only remember one shot on goal,that just about sums our day up.So much hope beforehand but so dissapointed with that woefull display from us.Davie will have a job on his hands lifting the players after this.Only Rangers next,dreading that.Will try not to dwell on today,but the players know this was a massive opportunity lost and one that many might never get again. Gutted.😥.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Agree with just about everything that has been said

I thought we were slightly edging it until they scored; not that we were particularly good but once they scored I couldn’t see us getting back into it. From that point on we just played into their hands.
    We should have played to our strengths rather than to counter theirs (not the first time I’ve said that since the unbeaten run ended).

Thought Mullin was going to be a factor when he forced Clark to make a good save but he wasn’t in the game after that. Sibbald should have started the match, JET & Reilly should have stayed on the bench.

Overall the better team on the day won the cup, so congratulations to Saints on becoming the second most successful team of the last 10 years (only team other than Celtic to win more than 1 trophy in that time).

Anyway... we only win cups when there is a 4 in the year.

Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 pm

I don’t know how many times we have and will comment on Substitutions DM makes - agree with you regarding both Jet and Reilly - especially when he left two better strikers at home 🤦‍�🤦‍�
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm

orco wrote:Advice for Sunday. Don't as much as brush pass Chris Kane or he will go down making it look like you fouled him. Don't let Shaun Rooney get his head anywhere near the ball.

Gives me no pleasure. Rolling Eyes

Does anyone else think that in the first half Rooney meant to kick Marv's head with his heel? Looked deliberate to me.

Troy

Post by Troy Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 pm

To think tae i recorded this.Suffice to say i wont be watching it back.In fact its getting deleted. Couldnt put myself through that again. Shocker.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:38 pm

orco wrote:
    orco wrote:Advice for Sunday. Don't as much as brush pass Chris Kane or he will go down making it look like you fouled him. Don't let Shaun Rooney get his head anywhere near the ball.

Gives me no pleasure.  Rolling Eyes

Does anyone else think that in the first half Rooney meant to kick Marv's head with his heel? Looked deliberate to me.

Yeah Marv had the better of him all game, Premier Sports were obsessed with Marv playing on the wing to nullify Rooney, but Marv had him in his back pocket all game. Rooney's goal was from a set piece bulleting in a header under pressure from Guthrie, absolutely nothing to do with where Marv was playing.

There was little in the game from open play, Mullin got a shot off first half which was tipped away, They got one 2nd half that McCrorie blocked, that was it. Again came down to set pieces, Rooney coming out on top, and we had far more chances than them first half with deliveries into their box. So defensively they were better too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:36 pm

orco wrote:

Gives me no pleasure.  Rolling Eyes

You could have highlighted your entire post, Kane was falling over & winning free kicks.

Yes it was a deliberate kick, it was a reaction to Marv winding him up with the odd push but was uncalled for & should have merited at the very least a booking.

I wasn’t convinced the corner was a corner either but that’s way it goes sometimes. Bottom line is we didn’t do enough to trouble them.
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 pm

Agree - we did nothing going forward and once again that’s because of the players he keeps picking.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Can't say i agree with you there, was nothing wrong with the starting XI, and we looked comfortable first half, getting plenty of free kicks and corners to put the ball into their box, Marv was doing a good job keeping Rooney under his thumb too.

Admittedly i'd have had Sibbald and Stryjek starting but Lawson has been excellent in games too, and McCrorie has come in because Stryjek's went off form in a couple of games. So all in all it was a decent line up.

Would've had Poplatnik in front of JET and Reilly on the bench but i don't know what's happening in training, can only assume Poplatnik has been honking, or injured, otherwise why isn't he getting near the team.

I thought we lost control 2nd half but they were a goal up and it changes how both teams play, when the subs were made we got a wee spell where we looked like doing something again, but credit to St Johnstone's defending, they coped with anything we threw at them, and had a comfortable enough game once they got their goal. Equally McCrorie only really had one save to make, the rest were straight at him and comfortable takes, just that one bloody moment where Rooney got his head onto a corner.

Only saving grace was not having to make the bus journey back home after losing a cup final, that would've been depressing. They say teams like us don't get many cup finals, but i really believe we could do it again next season, we've consistently done well coming top of the group stages in the League cup, and getting to quarter finals a few times, isn't beyond us to do another final. I'm still holding out hope for a Scottish cup win too.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Seeing Robbo isolated for most of the game was deppressing, and the high balls were dealt with superbly by their back 3.Their game plan worked to a tee and we had no answer to it.By the time the changes were made it was too late to make an impact on the game,albeit they tried.Stats say one shot on target, think that just about sums up our day unfortunatly.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Pretty much the same for both teams Troy, was only Rooney being better at scoring from a corner that won it, we had far more set pieces in the first half before they scored from theirs. Wasn't till the 2nd half they got a shot from open play that troubled us, when they got in behind our defence and McCrorie blocked it, Josh had a decent effort in open play first half for us too. I'd say we were looking comfortable first half managing the game better, getting plenty of attacks in and around their box forcing corners and free kicks.

The goal changed everything and they started the 2nd half with a lot more urgency in attack. Still came down to that corner, in open play both keepers didn't have more than one serious save each, from a shot at goal.

Credit has to go to their defending of set pieces. And Rooney attacking the one he scored from.
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Liviforever wrote:Can't say i agree with you there, was nothing wrong with the starting XI, and we looked comfortable first half, getting plenty of free kicks and corners to put the ball into their box, Marv was doing a good job keeping Rooney under his thumb too.

Admittedly i'd have had Sibbald and Stryjek starting but Lawson has been excellent in games too, and McCrorie has come in because Stryjek's went off form in a couple of games. So all in all it was a decent line up.

Would've had Poplatnik in front of JET and Reilly on the bench but i don't know what's happening in training, can only assume Poplatnik has been honking, or injured, otherwise why isn't he getting near the team.

1 shot on target whole game is not good enough. Having Forrest on the bench, leaving Tiffs and Poplatnik out completely and persisting with JET is not good enough, Davies substitutions are shocking.

Here is a reason for you why Poplatnik is not playing - DM sees him as a midfield player (central) and not a striker. Pops is fully fit and I am hearing from within the club that he is excellent in training sessions, scoring goals for fun, excellent work rate, much stronger and faster than before. Talking of speed and fitness, he is 2nd fastest/best performing player in the club. Jet is worst performing.
    Even the players are asking why is he not playing.

Only DM knows why he is not picking him.

Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:57 pm

And I can bet you Pops won’t be in the team tomorrow again 🤦‍�🤦‍� But today in training scored with 12 out of 13 shots, yesterday 14 out of 17.

Troy

Post by Troy Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Yep agree.Would be good to see him up front tommorrow with Robbo.Weve nothing to lose.But wont hold my breath.
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 pm

Just as I thought - Pops not in the squad AGAIN 🤦‍�🤦‍�🤬🤬
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 am

Livi2020 wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Can't say i agree with you there, was nothing wrong with the starting XI, and we looked comfortable first half, getting plenty of free kicks and corners to put the ball into their box, Marv was doing a good job keeping Rooney under his thumb too.

1 shot on target whole game is not good enough. Having Forrest on the bench, leaving Tiffs and Poplatnik out completely and persisting with JET is not good enough, Davies substitutions are shocking.

Here is a reason for you why Poplatnik is not playing - DM sees him as a midfield player (central) and not a striker. Pops is fully fit and I am hearing from within the club that he is excellent in training sessions, scoring goals for fun, excellent work rate, much stronger and faster than before. Talking of speed and fitness, he is 2nd fastest/best performing player in the club. Jet is worst performing.
    Even the players are asking why is he not playing.

Only DM knows why he is not picking him.

Was good enough to win the cup, they only had 1 decent shot on target and it didn't go in the net, same as us. It was a set piece they scored from, and we had about 6 into their box before they scored with theirs. So if anything it was our set pieces that weren't good enough. Or their defence that was just better defending them.

The starting XI didn't have JET in it either, and Forrest has done feckall even when coming on as a sub, if he wants started then he needs to show it when getting a chance, he's had more chances than Poplatnik anyway.

If all of that is true about Poplatnik in training, then somebody in the media team/podcasts doing interviews, needs to be asking DM why he isn't giving him any game time, not even from the bench.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:52 am

Livi2020 wrote:Just as I thought - Pops not in the squad AGAIN 🤦‍�🤦‍�🤬🤬

How do you know what the team sheet is a day before the game?

For that matter how do you know so much about how Poplatnik is doing in training, to the extent of how many shots and goals he scores?

If it's a secret you can PM me, i promise i wont say a word. Laughing
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Secret squirrel 🐿 😉
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:35 pm

Liviforever wrote:

For that matter how do you know so much about how Poplatnik is doing in training, to the extent of how many shots and goals he scores?

Was I wrong about Team Sheet?? 😉
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm

Liviforever wrote:

He seems to know inside stuff the ordinary fan doesn't. I have my own suspicion as to identity. Shocked
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:56 pm

Livi2020 wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:

Was I wrong about Team Sheet?? 😉

Nope, i wasn't doubting you, was just wondering how you knew. Usually it's kept quiet so opposition managers don't know what players you're starting.
    Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 pm

I know mate but it’s not like I am giving whole starting 11 🤦‍�😉

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 am