The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Achilles
EdinburghLivi
Liviforever
Durnford
LiviLion
cptn_hooch
Smithy
Afro
Auld Nick
orco
LiviCub
ianlivi
Lexi Collector
17 posters

The ex-Lions thread

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

The ex-Lions thread  - Page 12 Empty Re: The ex-Lions thread

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 pm

I agree with the anti Old Firm/Infirm sentiment but I do think Griffiths has benefitted and improved during his time with Celtic
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I think he went backwards at Celtic, he scored a lot more goals per season in a poor Hibs team when he was on loan to them. Strachan was an arse and restricted him at Celtic and Scotland, since then he's had another 2 managers and fell down their pecking order. I think one of their strikers got injured and that's why Griffiths got games at the end of the season (don't really watch much SPFL games other than Livi's but read something like that). Laughed when pundits were saying Griffiths has developed his ability in the air heading balls since being at Celtic, they aint got a clue, he was really good at scoring with his head at Livi, honestly haven't seen him improve much from what he could do with us.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 pm

He scored for fun the season before last and was injured himself at the start of last season which gave Dembele a chance & he took on the scoring role, wouldn't have been fair to drop him when Griffiths was fit again, so he had to wait for an opening when Dembele was injured and started scoring for fun again. He only scored 22 goals or thereabouts for us but is one of the fastest to 50 for Celtic, so I think you are allowing your dislike of them to cloud your judgement.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Yeah he wasn't with us long enough to rack up more goals in our first team, what i'm saying though is he hasn't improved greatly since then, he was a cracking player at Livi scoring goals for fun, and is still doing so, I don't see any difference in his playing style or skill level. It's a shame he didn't make it down south, that's where he'd have played against better teams and had to push himself, but he had some baggage which prob hindered his progress down there.

One of my favourite Livi goals was Griffiths double drag back and pirouette before nutmegging the Pars keeper to win the game for us at East End Park.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I agree he was cracking for us but he's improved because he has kept up the scoring rate (exceeded it at Celtic) at a higher level than where we were. IMO he'd have broken his duck quicker at international level if we (Scotland) had been a more attacking side or even a counter-attacking side rather than a lone-striker-run-about-like-a-headless-chicken side.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 pm

I agree with Liviforever. It was obvious even when he was with us that he had real talent. It might look like he has improved because he has played with better players but it was all there even when he was a youngster at Livi. And remember he left us for Dundee during that mad Massone season.
    What has improved is his attitude. He has matured now and has probably had guidance from folk like Ronnie Deila and Brendan Rogers. He is one of those players I love to watch because you never know when he will produce something special like those two free kicks
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:38 am

So what you are saying is we all saw his potential at Livi because as a 16 year old he was holding his own against experienced pros (in the way that Knox isn't able to do) - on that we all agree. I also agree that his attitude & personal maturity have improved. However to say he is no better now than he was with us does the lad a disservice.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:50 am

It's not really a matter of saying he is no better. He is stronger, older and wiser. Most players develop with age. They learn things from other players and become more adept at the tricks of the trade but they will not all go on to be internationals unless the latent talent is already there. It was always there with Griffiths and I enjoyed watching him him display it as a teenager with us as much as I do now when he is with Celtic or Scotland.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Exactly Orco, but LF has been saying he hasn't developed and actually went backwards at Celtic (Wasn't he the player of the year the season before Sinclair?) and hasn't improved his skill level... If LF is correct & that were so  then he peaked at 16 and has, at best, plateaued ever since.

Reading your responses you actually agree with me.

LF regarding his scoring record for Hibs... League goals: 23 in 36 games in his first spell but only 8 in 24 in his 2nd spell; 31 in 60 league games. By way of contrast, 64 in 72 at Celtic.

He has 8 in 9 Scottish Cup games for both, 4 in 4 League Cup games for Celtic but 0 in 3 for Hibs.

His overall record at Wolves was 13 goals in 21 games inc 12 in 18 league games. Not too shabby.

His record at Dundee was 29 goals in 49 games inc 21 in 42 league games

His record at Livi was 24 goals in 43 games inc 22 in 40 league games

If Scotland would play to his strengths I would fully expect him to rattle them in at that level as well.

Last edited by Bertie Bassett on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Aye, if you say so Bertie Very Happy

On another note I see Scougall has signed for St Johnstone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/St_Johnstone_FC/status/876057575569203200
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Shame he had to come back north of the border but that's not a bad move for him. StJ are currently a very decent side in terms of Scottish football. Surprised Hearts & Hibs weren't in the hunt for him
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 am

Older yep, not sure he's any wiser though, had to ban him from twitter at Celtic to keep him out of trouble. Laughing

St Johnstone get on my tits signing our ex players, never liked them much when we used to play them, like them even less now. Wish Scougs had stayed down south but wish him well anyway, cracking wee player. Just hope he gets snapped up with a better team soon and moves on from those tractor driving gimps.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

Andy halliday has reportedly been told to train with the under 20s squad and won't be needed at Ibrox this season. Wouldn't mind a wee loan deal for him this season
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Aberdeen should take him, he's just what they need to add some spice to games against Sevco. Laughing
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

cptn_hooch wrote:Andy halliday has reportedly been told to train with the under 20s squad and won't be needed at Ibrox this season. Wouldn't mind a wee loan deal for him this season

After his attitude to us following his move to Sevco I certainly wouldn't want to see him anywhere near west Lothian. I hope he ends up on loan to Cowdenbeath who release him after 3 months as not making the grade.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 pm

If we even think about Halliday I'll be sending my season ticket back, and I haven't even got one.

If we actually get him I'll buy a season ticket just to return it in a fit of rage.
    sunderland

Post by sunderland Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 pm

cptn_hooch wrote:Andy halliday has reportedly been told to train with the under 20s squad and won't be needed at Ibrox this season. Wouldn't mind a wee loan deal for him this season

The boy is a roaster. Pretty funny to see that happen to him. He will probably sign for Dundee or similar.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Been linked with a loan move to Azerbaijan's FC Gabala.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 pm

That's almost as funny as Cowdenbeath
    ol1vercloff

Post by ol1vercloff Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Halliday did get a bit big time Charlie when he went to Boro but I'd still take him back in a heartbeat. Anyone saying otherwise...their heads gone!
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm

ol1vercloff wrote:Halliday did get a bit big time Charlie when he went to Boro but I'd still take him back in a heartbeat. Anyone saying otherwise...their heads gone!

In my opinion he's just another Lee McCulloch.
    ol1vercloff

Post by ol1vercloff Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

I'd take McCulloch too!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

ol1vercloff wrote:I'd take McCulloch too!

Then your heads gone. Greggy
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Burton O'Brien has apparently retired
    ol1vercloff

Post by ol1vercloff Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
    ol1vercloff wrote:I'd take McCulloch too!

Then your heads gone. Greggy

Not sure Livi fans can turn their noses up at any players, especially not a former Scotland international, even on a hypothetical basis. This isn't the Rangers Haters forum, is it?

Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 am