The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
LiviLion
mozam76
Liviforever
7 posters

World Cup Games

Liviforever
    Liviforever

World Cup Games Empty World Cup Games

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:33 am

Decent match for the opener, nice and open with both teams trying to attack and score goals.

Shame the ref was terrible though, as was the Croatian Keeper. Poor penalty decision for the 2nd goal that knackered Croatia and influenced the game hugely in Brazil's favour. Barely a hand on the Brazilian and he went down like a felled tree. Also didn't think there was a foul on the Brazil keeper when Croatia scored.

Anyhoo, entertaining game to start with.
    mozam76
    mozam76

World Cup Games Empty Re: World Cup Games

Post by mozam76 Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07 am

I think the keeper is gettin unwarranted stick for the third goal - Andy Townsend last night saying "he hasn't set himself, and the guys toe ended it". Wrong - he hasn't got himself set BECAUSE the guy toe ended it. That's the advantage of taking the shot with your toe early - very similar to Stevie Mays second in the Scottish Cup semi. Neymars first one, I just think it's a perfectly placed shot.

He should really have kept the pen out though.

Agreed though, it was an entertaining enough start. I thought Croatia looked particularly dangerous down the left, although I daresay that was down to Dani Alves bombing forward. It was said before the tournament, and I think last night proved, that Brazils defensive frailties could be their undoing.

LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:31 pm

mozam76 wrote:I think the keeper is gettin unwarranted stick for the third goal - Andy Townsend last night saying "he hasn't set himself, and the guys toe ended it". Wrong - he hasn't got himself set BECAUSE the guy toe ended it. That's the advantage of taking the shot with your toe early - very similar to Stevie Mays second in the Scottish Cup semi. Neymars first one, I just think it's a perfectly placed shot.

One of the commentators yesterday said "Both teams want to win this game", which is obviously rubbish, why would you want to win the World Cup opener? I'd just take what they say with a pinch of salt.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 pm

It was probably the worst refereeing performance I've seen in a long time. The game itself was pretty good but the last goal aside they were all pretty soft goals. Alves was needlessly chasing down a ball for Croatia's goal, it was a poor attempt from Pletikosa from a scuffed shot and it was never a penalty.

That said, at least it was exciting.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Neymar was lucky to still be on the park too, def all went Brazil's way with refereeing decisions to give them the best chance possible of winning the game. They'll have to play a lot better than that if they're going to win it that's for sure, even dodgy ref decisions wont get them that trophy.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:43 pm

The poor refereeing seems to have continued into this game. Two goals incorrectly ruled out for Mexico, the second of which was an absolute shocker of a decision.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:57 pm

I have a draw on the coupon in this game and had a Brazil win last night.

May the terrible officiating continue!
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:35 pm

EdinburghLivi wrote:I have a draw on the coupon in this game and had a Brazil win last night.

May the terrible officiating continue!

Cameroon obviously had the same, the played the majority of the first half with a 6-3-1 formation.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:40 pm

I have a feeling they will get a jammy equaliser.

Two terrible teams.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Not sat and watched all the game but the bits I've seen Mexico look decent at passing the ball about and should be a few goals up but for wrong offside calls.

Ooft and Hernandez just missed a sitter from about 6 yards out.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Mexico never really looked like losing that. In reality it should have been 3 or 4, the two disallowed goals and Hernandez missed a sitter in the last couple of minutes.

Cameroon will be lucky to score in this group.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 pm

The BBC seem to be doing their upmost to make Mark Lawrenson seem like an attractive possibility on commentary by adding a Radio 1 commentary option.

scratch 
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Hansen retired, surely that clown can't be far away?
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:35 pm

I think this is his last tournament.

ETA: Apparently not, that's Hansen.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 pm

I was going to post earlier that I didn't think Holland would come close to win this because I didn't think the XI they had out there was as good in all areas as Spain's. Very glad I didn't now.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 am

Wow, didn't expect that, some score in the Holland v Spain game. Can see Spain taking it out on their next opponents after being embarrassed by Holland.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:14 am

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I don't even think Spain were all that bad. The Netherlands were just unbelievable. Casillas' mistake aside, it was just sheer brilliance from the Dutch that led to the goals.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Agree with CT. Spain were just outclassed by a very good team. I was kind of shocked at how easily Robben managed to run past Pique and Sergio Ramos, never having either of them down as being ridiculously slow.

Looking forward to today. Anyone else supporting England like myself?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Nothing against the actual team but the media/commentators/pundits are insufferable to listen to constantly slobbering on about how great England are so I'm hoping they get put out as soon as possible.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 pm

^ This.

It's probably the least insufferable squad they've had in my footballing lifetime, Gerrard aside, but the sooner they get papped out and pre-match, half-time and post-match coverage can be focused solely on the game that's being played the better.
    Lothiangamer
    Lothiangamer

Post by Lothiangamer Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:19 pm

I will just watch what I hope will be a good game.

Really can not see England winning the whole thing but then never saw Spain getting humped and Costa Rica beating Uruguay. Thought Joel Campbell was outstanding in that game.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:37 pm

I have Costa Rica in my holiday sweepstake. My girlfriends dad has Uruguay. Tonight isn't going to go down well I fear.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:29 am

Enjoyed the Japan game last night/this morning, thought they started off well enough to deserve a point but fair play to Cote d'Ivoire for turning it around.

Looking forward to another day of great games, no idea how the Switzerland - Ecuador one will go.

In the first 8 games there's been 28 goals, compared to 13 after the same amount of games in 2010. I fucking love the World Cup.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Yep, the world cup has been superb so far, plenty goals and a few surprise results. Defence seem to have gone out the window for some of the big teams too and they're just concentrating on attack.

Thought England's young guys played well, Rooney was a waste of a space playing in that role, apart from his cross for their goal anyway, he did very little else. Italy were better in the final third and imo deserved their win, hit the post, one headed off the line after Balotelli chipped Hart from a tight angle, the fantastic free kick that hit the bar (goal of the tournament if that had gone in) and a player 'professionally fouled to stop him scoring. Just created more chances and were more clinical at hitting the target.

The England Uraguay game will be interesting, if Suarez plays I reckon they'll beat England, if not then think England will win.
    CruijffTurn
    CruijffTurn

Post by CruijffTurn Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Good second half in the Switzerland - Ecuador game. Difficult to say if Switzerland actually deserved to win though. More poor refereeing though. A perfectly good goal from Drmic disallowed after it took a deflection from an Ecuador player after being dummied by a Swiss player.

Almost made up for by the advantage played in the build up to the winner. Most refs would have given the foul and the booking for an absolute beezer of a tackle on Behrami.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:50 am