The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

World Cup 2022

Liviforever
    Liviforever

World Cup 2022 Empty World Cup 2022

Post by Liviforever Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:41 pm

Usually i just start out wanting the home Nation teams to do well, including Engerland, till the media, commentators, and pundits get on my tits with their 1966 pish and entitlement thinking they're the best team in the world. So that shouldn't take them long, and it'll be plucky Wales i'll be backing.

The group stages are just to weed out the cannon fodder, but there should be a few unfancied teams popping up to surprise everyone, i like the African teams for their unbridled joyous football with some good attacking flare players, hopefully one or two will make it through to the knockout rounds.
    orco
    orco

World Cup 2022 Empty Re: World Cup 2022

Post by orco Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:56 pm

I can't get my head round the fact there is a world cup starting imminently. It's November. The World Cup is in the summer. The fact that it is getting played in the desert and has been surrounded by controversy since the venue was announced has taken the gloss off something I normally look forward to.
    Maybe once it starts I'll conjure up some enthusiasm for it but right now it's not there.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:58 pm

I loved Klopp’s point to the journos about it… they are all up in arms about the human rights record of Qatar but they have known about it for years so why highlight it 5 minutes before it starts? They spent the immediate aftermath of the Russia/Qatar announcement chasing stories of corruption in FIFA and neglected to highlight anything to do with the human rights situation… and what makes our stance on human rights better than theirs? That’s just a holier than thou stance that doesn’t take into account their sovereign right to govern as they see fit. Typical of the “tolerate everything” mentality that is actually “tolerate everything unless it disagrees with me”.

Anyway, enough of that… World Cup? C’mon Argentina, win it with and for Messi

I’d like to see Wales do better than England just for a laugh. I don’t mind the English team, they have some decent players but I agree LF, it’s the “it’s coming home” brigade that does ma heid in.

I think Argentina & Brazil will take some stopping; not sure who the strongest European team is… I’d like Belgium to do well cos I’m sure Martinez is married to a Scots lass (grasping at straws for Scottish success eh? Very Happy ) - Denmark too as that would show we had a really tough group in the qualies.

I think France will be hard to beat but they could flatter to deceive and Portugal have a better team than they have had for a while but if they overdepend on Ronaldo they could come a cropper.

I obviously hope the country that must never be named does well (that’s Canada (oops) for those that don’t know) but that would be a huge surprise even if it is the “golden maple generation”.
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:21 am

Yeh,agree the early stages of this tourney usually throw up a surprise package.Would be surprised if that's the case here.Im kinda loathe to back Engerlund albeit 3 of ma Newcastle players are in the squad.They could progress to the latter stages but will fall short when they come up against the big hitters imo.For me personally my moneys already on Brazil with my lad Bruno Guimaraich showing his world class and coming back to the Toon with that medal in his hip pocket.As someone else said they'll take some stopping with that squad. 🇧🇷👍🖤🤍.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:39 pm

I think the only way you can watch England play and not want them to lose, is watching their games with the sound on mute. The second their commentators mention 1966 and it's coming home that's it, any smidging on trying to support them goes out the window. And if they win a couple of games, they just can't help themselves talking as if they've got it in the bag. Admittedly we Scots got carried away big time with Argentina and on the road with Ally's army, but it still gets on your tits the way they think they're world beaters in every tourney, despite them not winning feckall for 56 years.

Anyhoo, dunno why there isn't an option to have no commentary and just hear the crowd noise atmosphere.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:59 pm

At least when England is in the finals it gives me someone to support. ABE.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:45 pm

Excruciating weekend for me.No important footie for 4 weeks.Feels like a winter shutdown.But bigger picture should see those players apart from those long term come back ready to go for the 2nd half of the season.17th of Dec cant come quick enough. Moneys already on 🇧🇷 Brazil.Fridge stocked up.🤣🏆🇧🇷👍.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:06 pm

Troy wrote:Excruciating weekend for me.No important footie for 4 weeks.Feels like a winter shutdown.But bigger picture should see those players apart from those long term come back ready to go for the 2nd half of the season.17th of Dec cant come quick enough. Moneys already on 🇧🇷 Brazil.Fridge stocked up.🤣🏆🇧🇷👍.

Yeah was checking out the lower league fixtures but none caught my interest that much i'd want to go to a game, Morton is one that i keep an eye on but a bit far away to travel to, and their away game yesterday was against Cove, which isn't exactly local either.. Imrie being their manager, ex Livi players Lithgow, Efe, Blues, Pignatelio, and our two loan players Schwake & Kabia all playing for them. Kabia scored a goal in their 2-1 win too, which takes them to a point behind leaders Ayr. Really tight league this season with 2 pts separting the top 4 teams.

Troy likes this post

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 pm

There have been a few “didn’t see that coming” moments… given England’s inept Nations League performance I didn’t foresee them skooshing a 6-2 win, even against Iran.

Given the Welsh passion I didn’t foresee them being as passive as lambs in the first half against USA. At least they gave a decent account of themselves second half to get the draw.

I certainly didn’t foresee Argentina capitulating to Saudi Arabia & from what little I saw of it SA fully deserved their win.

I also didn’t foresee two 0-0 draws back to back, one with a ref having the cojones to disagree with VAR’s recommendation & the other with Lewandowski having his pen saved.

Let’s see what France & Australia throws up… interestingly France wearing more of a Scotland shade of blue than usual.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:49 pm

France has been impressive, Mbappe is some player.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:56 pm

Auld Nick wrote:There have been a few “didn’t see that coming” moments… given England’s inept Nations League performance I didn’t foresee them skooshing a 6-2 win, even against Iran.

Given the Welsh passion I didn’t foresee them being as passive as lambs in the first half against USA. At least they gave a decent account of themselves second half to get the draw.

I certainly didn’t foresee Argentina capitulating to Saudi Arabia & from what little I saw of it SA fully deserved their win.

I also didn’t foresee two 0-0 draws back to back, one with a ref having the cojones to disagree with VAR’s recommendation & the other with Lewandowski having his pen saved.

Let’s see what France & Australia throws up… interestingly France wearing more of a Scotland shade of blue than usual.

St Mirren being mentioned on the WC commentary in the France v Australia game?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:48 pm

Japan coming back and deservedly winning against Germany, and a 7-0 goal fest by Spain beating Costa Rica.

Didn't see the 0-0 draw with Morocco v Croatia, but doesn't look like i missed much.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:58 pm

Liviforever wrote:
    Auld Nick wrote:There have been a few “didn’t see that coming” moments… given England’s inept Nations League performance I didn’t foresee them skooshing a 6-2 win, even against Iran.

St Mirren being mentioned on the WC commentary in the France v Australia game?

Indeed… 3 times no less Laughing

Canada were decidedly unlucky to lose to Belgium, poor pen but they were by far the better team for most of the game. If they only had a finisher.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 pm

Liviforever wrote:Japan coming back and deservedly winning against Germany, and a 7-0 goal fest by Spain beating Costa Rica.

Didn't see the 0-0 draw with Morocco v Croatia, but doesn't look like i missed much.

Yeah, two more unlikely scenarios played out there. As was the quality of Canada’s performance.
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:06 pm

Had Canada had a decent finisher with the amount of chances they had,including the Pen miss the Belgians would have been in soapy bubble.De Broyne and Co will need a massive improvement or theyl be heading home sooner than later.Fair play to Canada.Worked their socks off.👏🇨🇦.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:11 pm

Brazil really turned the screw in that second half.Fair play to the Serbians, they made it tough for Brazil in the first without causing them many problems up front.A brace for Richarlson with his second an absolute worldly, what a strike. I'm happy.Off and running with £20 at 4/1.Thatl do for me.🇧🇷👏.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am

Aye their 2nd goal was spectacular but the boy making the challenge had his arms behind his back and turned away allowing the ball to go past him, boils my piss when players do that. At 1-0 Serbia were still in it. Anyway, once it was 2-0 it was exhibition stuff from Brazil.

Wales need another big 2nd half performance against Iran, no end product to their play in the first half, England showing they're a big step up in quality to Wales the way they gubbed Iran 6-2.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:25 pm

Looks like Wales are fecked then, would be funny if USA beat England tonight and Wales get a win against them too and finish 2nd on 4 pts. Gabby Yorath/Logan talking as if England are already through.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:11 pm

USA are showing England to be eminently ordinary so far. I still expect them to win though with 35 mins to play.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:17 am

England shown up for being not as good as they think they are by USA.

Would be hilarious now if Wales finally turned up and gave them a bit of a doing… well, we can dream eh?
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:36 am

Southgate guilty of not rotating.Sticking by his favourites. Players on the bench at the top of their game not getting a sniff.USA decent but not World beaters.Reckon England will get found out when they come up against real quality. Sadly won't be Wales.Crying or Very sad.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Yep the mood in the room post match with Ian Wright etc was totally deflated, got brought a touch of reality on how good England actually are, they've good players and are a good side, but nowhere near the level the top teams like Brazil, France & Spain. The USA were the better team first half and should've been a goal or two up, poor finishing saved England. England didn't get the freedom around the box they did against Iran, with USA defenders much tighter to them.

Still looking good for them getting through the group stages but they'll have to up their game considerably against better teams.

Wales will need to do a Martindale type strategy when we play the erse cheeks, as England are a lot better than Wales, but it isn't beyond them to get a win, unfortunately the GD England have after their big win against Iran has put them in pole position to go through.

Southgate has a good attitude on him though, he didn't get carried away after his win over Iran and knew they would need to improve defensively against the USA,  unlike the ex pro pundits and media i think he knows their limitations.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Southgate deserves a lot of praise for what he continues to do. No one thought he was the right choice but he has proven to have the right temperament for managing the side and for giving young guys a chance. As Troy says he does seem to have his favourites but that was the first time in ages that they have had the same starting xi in consecutive games. I dare say many of us look at them and wonder how he can leave Foden out but they have an embarrassment of riches in young midfielders. As a group they probably punched slightly above their weight at the Euros and the nations league in the years before they got relegated, they always seem to get a favourable draw though which gets them deep in competitions.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:47 pm

Certainly not an England fan by any stretch of the imagination. But good call on Foden, and Wilson has been playing out of his skin domestically. As I said favouritism could cost England later when rotation will give them a better chance of progressing further in the tournament, God help us.🤣.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:14 pm

That's France officially through with 2 wins out of 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:05 pm