The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Liviforever
orco
6 posters

So who is going to win Euro 16?

Poll

Who will win Euro 16

[ 4 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left44%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 0 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left0%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left11%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 1 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left11%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 3 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left33%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_left0%So who is going to win Euro 16? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 9
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

So who is going to win Euro 16? Empty So who is going to win Euro 16?

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:12 am

I've found it quite entertaining so far. England were pretty impressive but I had to laugh when they failed to win.

Germany showed they are a tournament team & will take some stopping.

Wales v Slovakia was a decent game but I can't see either of them going beyond the first knock out stage.

My tip is Germany with Belgium as a maybe given their high world ranking.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

So who is going to win Euro 16? Empty Re: So who is going to win Euro 16?

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:17 am

Germany are always top tips to get to at least the semi finals. They looked decent but not so hot defensively, expect them to improve as the tournament goes on though as they know how to pace themselves.

Didn't think England were as good as everyone was saying, but the biased commentary and pundits always get carried away on how good they are. I mean lets be honest here, Russia were mince and England struggled to score against them. Lallana was good first half but faded 2nd half, and his finishing was woeful, Kane was hopeless at anything other than falling down to win free kicks, but Vardy is there so at least they have options, not getting why Kane wasn't subbed for him. Quite a few of their young players are overrated and haven't been tested against top players in the top teams yet, so expecting they'll be shown up when they do.

NI were murder, got what they deserved against Poland, boring anti football, worst game so far as all the rest have at least tried to be competitive and go out to score goals.

Wales were ok and with Bale they are in with a shout at getting to the quarter final stage, with a bit of luck they could get as far as England.

Looking forward to seeing how Italy and Spain get on as expecting them to be decent too.

Oh and France look like they'll be lucky to get to the semi finals, rate them about the same as England, quarter finals at best.

I'll wait till I've seen the likes of Spain and Italy play but I think Germany will be up there and I've liked what I saw of them so far.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Great passing side, great players in midfield, only weakness seems to be their striker.

If they sort out the striker problem they'll be up there with Germany as favourites.

Was just like watching a Barca game against a stubborn defence, they just wont change how they play and keep prodding away at the defence till they score.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:21 am

Right made  my mind now, I want Italy to win it, really enjoyed that game with them and Belgium.

Good passers and strong in defence, though they gave 4 slack passes away in the final third that allowed Belgium to break on them and took 3 booking to stop the Belgian counters, and nearly lost a goal with the other one.
    Couple of pinball moments in injury time when Belgium were putting them under the cosh but so glad they got their 2nd, really deserved the win.
    Fecking sublime pass setting up their first goal too, weight on the pass, perfect height and precision to set it on a plate for Giaccherini and well put away.

Loved their team spirit and celebrations after scoring too.

Head says Spain or Germany, heart wants Italy.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:43 am

I take it your "Great passing side" post was about Spain?

Belgium were a disappointment overall but Italy stepped up & just "Italied" them. Agree on the pass for the first but it was superb timing on the run, superb control on the 1st touch & a sweet finish by Giaccy and Pelle's volley was excellent technique to give Courtois no chance on the second.

Heart wants Austria as I'm half Austrian but that would be on a par with Denmark & Greece; apart from that I just want the best team to win it. In some ways I'd like Spain to "threepeat" as that has never been done before & I'd rather it wasn't Germany or Italy as they are the sides that always seem to win things; I don't think France are good enough. I think England are still a good dark horse although I'd hate it if they won. If Belgium get their act together they might still have a say.

All in all I can't see passed the Germans but I hope I'm wrong.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:25 pm

Croatia Hibs'd it against the Czech Rep, 2-0 up and got pegged back to 2-2, nearly lost it too but managed to hang on.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Italy are looking very good to me.

First chance to see Spain live for me just now.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 pm

It pains me to say but when the right players are picked England look strong. Sad
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 pm

I think Hodgson is their David Hopkin, poor at team selection and putting players in the wrong positions. Still stuck with Kane even though he was rank rotten in the first game and then finally brought on Vardy and he scored. Prob go back to starting Kane again in their next game.

2nd round games have been a bit flat but Italy, France and England managed to scrape a win and that's all that matters at this stage. Still think Germany has more in them and will step it up when it matters, and Italy are capable of doing the same. Spain are Spain, they'll pass it to death and keep plodding away until the other team gets tired and then score, expect them to be in the semi's anyway.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:00 am

orco wrote:It pains me to say but when the right players are picked England look strong. Sad

I agree, I think they are in with a great chance of winning it & they have nothing to fear from most of the teams I've seen.

They might find it hard to cope with Spain's possession game though & possibly the Italians as they traditionally struggle with them; but everyone else seems there for the taking
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:06 am

Liviforever wrote:I think Hodgson is their David Hopkin, poor at team selection and putting players in the wrong positions. Still stuck with Kane even though he was rank rotten in the first game and then finally brought on Vardy and he scored. Prob go back to starting Kane again in their next game.

2nd round games have been a bit flat but Italy, France and England managed to scrape a win and that's all that matters at this stage. Still think Germany has more in them and will step it up when it matters, and Italy are capable of doing the same. Spain are Spain, they'll pass it to death and keep plodding away until the other team gets tired and then score, expect them to be in the semi's anyway.

I think it was a mistake to go with Kane; he looked spent once Chelsea ended their Championship aspirations, whereas Vardy kept putting in performances (apart from when he was suspended of course) & Sturridge burst into life towards the end of the season... I think he was saving his fitness with all his "injury troubles" last season.

If Belgium can gel as a team they could yet come good - we'll probably know more after their second game.

I was sorely disappointed with my maternal homeland - the Austrians pulled a Scotland & just didn't turn up against Hungary.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:26 am

Morata turned up for Spain's 2nd game and some difference, he was getting into the box this time and getting onto their passes, if he does that from now on then Spain will def be up there as strong contenders to win it. No team better at possession football but they lacked a striker getting into the box in the first game, not now though.

I'd go for Germany, Spain, Italy for semi final teams, not made my mind up for the 4th team. Could be France or England but still not seen enough from them to think they're good enough. May well get another team coming through that will snatch it, and of course it also depends who plays who in the quarters, they'd def need to avoid Germany and Spain.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Belgium might be the 4th team to get into the semi's, they've certainly got the players to do it. Good goal by Lukaku there. They've at last dropped Fellaini , he's a big slow moving lump that shouldn't be anywhere near a team like Belgium, or Man Utd for that matter.

2-0 Belgium now, looking good, hopefully they'll crack on from here.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Belgium bounced back in style, Ireland aren't particularly good but on their day can match the best as they showed against Germany and they rarely get thumped, but they got thumped today.

Belgium could yet live up to their lofty world ranking
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Well that's one of my pics for the semi's out, they said it would now be Italy v Spain in the last 16.

Some result for Croatia, could they be the dark horse of the tournament, Perisic looks a cracking player.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Some game there, Hungary 3-3 Portugal and Iceland scoring in the last minute against Austria to play England in the next round, was hoping it would stay as it was and Portugal were getting them.

Should be a good game with Croatia and Portugal though.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 pm

The way they're going on about it they're guaranteed a win against Iceland.

Probably the same way they were going to win their group.
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:48 pm

See the Italians are resting 8 of their normal players against the Paddys tonight.Understandable due to the enormity of mondays game against the Spaniards.Been disappointed with Iniesta and co though we all know they have it in their locker to show why they were one of the favourites pre tournament,i still reckon the Italions will grind out a result against them though.They always get stronger as a tournament goes on.12/1 at the start of Euros doesnt seem a bad bet right now.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:25 pm

LiviLion wrote:The way they're going on about it they're guaranteed a win against Iceland.

They must be spewing that Wales won it and they didn't look at the group they're in; Germany, Italy/Spain, France and them if they get past Iceland, tough group.

Wales are in with a great chance to get to the semi's, NI/Turkey, then Hungary/Belgium. Croatia v Portugal winners will prob be in the semis from the top half of that group.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:22 am

Liviforever wrote:
    LiviLion wrote:The way they're going on about it they're guaranteed a win against Iceland.

They must be spewing that Wales won it and they didn't look at the group they're in; Germany, Italy/Spain, France and them if they get past Iceland, tough group.

Wales are in with a great chance to get to the semi's, NI/Turkey, then Hungary/Belgium. Croatia v Portugal winners will prob be in the semis from the top half of that group.

But is playing the winner of Hungary v Belgium going to be any easier than the winner of France v Rep of Ireland?

One things for sure - if Wales end up playing Hungary its going to be a cracking match to watch

If there's one thing Iceland have done well throughout the tournament its defend - England have proved exceptionally toothless in front of goal particularly when up against a resolute defence so whats the odds on this one going to penalties?

Ultimately have trouble seeing past either Spain or Germany as eventual winners - neither have really impressed, just done enough, but generally get stronger the longer the tournament goes on and they do have a lot of depth in the squad.

There are a lot of teams out there who place a heavy reliance on just one player (Portugal; Wales etc.)
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Still Hoping Italy can win it and get past Spain, agree though about Spain, they were poor in their last game but thought they only put a bit of energy into their game when they went behind 2-1, so I wouldn't take too much from that performance, they'll prob ramp it up a few gears when they need to in these knock out stages.

Would've loved to have seen how England fared against an attacking team like Portugal, so far they've been used to dominating possession and teams sitting back allowing them to come at them all game, and even then they've struggled to score, Ronaldo v Vardy would've been interesting too, both would've had the space to run onto balls in that game.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Bit harsh on Wales there Durnford; Ramsey & Allen were superb against Russia, Bale was a wasteful luxury apart from his goal which was icing on the cake anyway.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Well yesterday's game were chronic, today's game are already more exciting, ROI up 1-0 with a pen in the first 2 mins, wow.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Cracker of a goal for the Swiss yesterday though.

Irish are getting stuck in which the French don't like, so far so good for the Republic.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Iceland v ROI would be faf, mon the diddy teams.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content