The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Liviforever
orco
6 posters

So who is going to win Euro 16?

Poll

Who will win Euro 16

[ 4 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left44%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 0 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left0%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left11%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 1 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left11%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 3 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left33%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_left0%So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 9
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is going to win Euro 16?

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:18 pm

France have stepped it up 2nd half, 1-1 now, nice header.

Good game.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is going to win Euro 16?

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:23 pm

2-1 Griezmann again, France looking like they're going to stroll it now.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Irish players were knackered, even if they managed to sneak a late goal to take it to ET France would've won it. Dunno how it stayed 2-1 as France absolutely pummelled them in the 2nd half. Much better game to watch though, lets hope the next game is as entertaining.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Aye, France stepped up a level in the second half.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Another good start in this game, Germany up 1-0 and just missed a penalty.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Germans have cruised this, have Slovakia bottled it because it was Germany or are we beginning to see the real Deutsche Weltmeister living up to their title?

If the latter it will take a very good side to stop them
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:58 pm

That's what Germany do, nothing special in the early rounds but you just know they will step it up when they need to and have been pacing themselves.

Looking to see if Spain do the same because they haven't looked great in the group stages either, still rooting for Italy though.

France looked a lot better but they were playing a team who were punching above their weight even being there, still to do it against a decent team before i'll be giving them any praise. Same goes with England, them and France are much the same, two above average teams but not in the same league as Germany or Spain.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, agree with all you have said there, imagine the irony though if England won it.... Actually it would probably just trigger the usual numpties saying "We've taken back control and taken back our game" - when you and I know they are nicking the credit for inventing the game.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Good win for Belgium, they've looked better in their last 2 games, they just might be coming onto a run of form at the right time too. Can't see Wales getting any further with Belgium playing like this.

Plenty of goals today and entertaining games.

4-0 Belgium.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Belgium v Hungary was a very entertaining game. Belgium should have had a few more than the 1 they got in the first half but if Hungary had a decent finisher they might have equalised before the Belgians finally started taking their chances; Hazard was immense, probably the best individual performance I've seen in the tournament.

Wales will be a tougher prospect as they will defend better than Hungary & have players who can hurt Belgium as was evidenced by them taking 4 points from their matches in the qualifiers. On the other hand that should be enough to fire up Belgium.

I can see Belgium reaching the final on this form though & I wouldn't like to predict who will make it from the other half of the draw.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Excellent game between Italy and Spain. Italians were superb, right from the national anthem they were clearly up for it and completely dominated Spain in the first half and coped superbly with the period of Spanish dominance in the second. De Gea kept Spain in it for most of the match but Buffon made a match winning save immediately before Pelle sealed the win.

Italy on this form will give Germany a real test and with a historical dominance might just have enough to get through to the semi.

And as for the game on just now..... C'mon the Icemen!!!! 2-1 up after going behind to a 4th minute pen. Tonight I am Bjertie Bassettsson
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:33 pm

I should add that this is a truly woeful game of football.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 pm

fá það rétt upp að þér

Apparently it's Icelandic for GIRUY
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:29 am

Ah well that cheered me up after the Brexit win, my sides are still hurting at them in the studio, they just don't get it at all, they aint that great.

Italy were superb, i'm not a gambling man but I wish i'd stuck a fiver on Italy after I saw their first game in the Euro's, fancied them right away after that and have wanted them to go all the way. I really think they can do it now, as a team they play really well. Germany will be their toughest game, if/when they get past them they wont have a tougher game to play. Mon Italy.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 am

orco wrote:It pains me to say but when the right players are picked England look strong. Sad

Sometimes I just love when I get it wrong. bounce
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 am

Just reading back through the thread on my earlier predictions, hasn't gone well for me with all 3 of my Semi final picks playing each other before they get there.

From the last 16 games Belgium and France stepped it up, particularly Belgium, Germany looked strong and Italy were tremendous against Spain. Portugal still look poor and Poland looked poorer still. Wales are on borrowed time now but difficult to say how Iceland will do, they won pretty comfortably over England.

Any of them could get to the semi's now but i'll plump for Portugal v Belgium and Italy v France, then Italy v Belgium in the final.

Durnford wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:
    LiviLion wrote:The way they're going on about it they're guaranteed a win against Iceland.

Probably the same way they were going to win their group.

They must be spewing that Wales won it and they didn't look at the group they're in; Germany, Italy/Spain, France and them if they get past Iceland, tough group.

Wales are in with a great chance to get to the semi's, NI/Turkey, then Hungary/Belgium. Croatia v Portugal winners will prob be in the semis from the top half of that group.

But is playing the winner of Hungary v Belgium going to be any easier than the winner of France v Rep of Ireland?

One things for sure - if Wales end up playing Hungary its going to be a cracking match to watch

If there's one thing Iceland have done well throughout the tournament its defend - England have proved exceptionally toothless in front of goal particularly when up against a resolute defence so whats the odds on this one going to penalties?

Ultimately have trouble seeing past either Spain or Germany as eventual winners - neither have really impressed, just done enough, but generally get stronger the longer the tournament goes on and they do have a lot of depth in the squad.

There are a lot of teams out there who place a heavy reliance on just one player (Portugal; Wales etc.)

On that evidence no, Belgium looked just as good as any of the teams in the other group.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I expected England to do better but they just didn't gel as a team; the MOTD pundits admitted they simply weren't good enough and Shearer mentioned that the best players and managers in the EPL are all foreign. It was hilarious listening to players who have never won anything at international level offering their advice to the latest batch of under-achievers.

Iceland were not a particularly good team but they are solid. The goalie is suspect and they lack pace. The two Sigurdssons were their best players. England got the start they wanted and I think the players thought it would be easy after that. But they defended horribly at the throw-in and Hart made a ricket for the second goal. England did have some chances, Deli Alli hit a screamer that would have been a goal of the tournament contender if it had been a foot lower. Kane had a well controlled volley that the keeper had to save. If they could have got level I think they would have won but the longer the game went on you could see them panicking and getting more anxious and they just fell apart to the extent that Iceland didn't have to do much to defend against them. Iceland couldn't pass particularly well, couldn't hold the ball up particularly well and apart from scoring twice and a couple of saves that Hart had to make, they didn't really look like scoring. I suspect France will rip them apart, unless the pressure of home team expectancy gets to them.

I think we saw that Rooney is never a captain and is well past his best (he should do a Messi and retire from internationals). Sturridge is not a wide player but is a trier, Sterling is overrated, Deli Alli could become a real star. Kane could also be a player but needs service.

A well organised Scotland could cause them bother (just like Iceland did) but if they turn up they could give us a doing.

I have thought from before the start that the winners would come from Germany, Belgium, Italy or Spain; 3 of them are still in it but only 1 is guaranteed a place in the semi.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:I expected England to do better but they just didn't gel as a team; the MOTD pundits admitted they simply weren't good enough and Shearer mentioned that the best players and managers in the EPL are all foreign. It was hilarious listening to players who have never won anything at international level offering their advice to the latest batch of under-achievers.

Exactly, their record in major tournaments since 1966 isn't that great, someone put up all their games in the Euro's and World Cup since 1966 and it was abysmal. Only 6 wins in the knock out stages and 12 defeats. Just how they see themselves as the same level as France, Italy, Spain and Germany is beyond me.

I know we've never even got to a knock out group but we're under no illusion of being anything other than shite.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

So who is going to win Euro 16? - Page 2 Empty Quarter Final Prediction

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Portugal-Belgium-Italy-France

Portugal and Poland are both mince so either one could win that one, just plumping for Portugal with Ronaldo scoring in their last game he's got his eye in at last .

Germany will be tough for Italy and are prob favourites but I just have liked the way Italy have played so i'm sticking with them.

Although Belgium were impressive in their last game they've been shite up till then and it might just be a one off for them so Wales could beat them, still, I think Belgium will win it.

Suppose France are the same as Belgium in that respect but still think they'll be too much for Iceland.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Belgium are on a roll, after losing to Italy they have scored 10 without reply, their confidence is building as they gel. Wales have never gone past a quarter final stage but as this is only their second tournament ever that is no surprise. Assuming Hazard is fit, they maintain their form and they don't think of Wales as a jinx team then I'd expect them to win.

Germany, despite all their success will have to make history if they want to get past Italy; they have never beaten the Italians in the knock out stages of a tournament. Germany have not lived up to world champ billing yet, Slovakia were poor so that win doesn't show anything; Italy to win a close one.

France should have too much for Iceland, but so should have England. If France can smash the windows of the parked bus, they will win.

Portugal v Poland is anyone's guess. If Ronaldo turns up that could decide it but the same could be said for Lewandowski. Portugal to edge it.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:

Portugal v Poland is anyone's guess. If Ronaldo turns up that could decide it but the same could be said for Lewandowski. Portugal to edge it.

First blood Lewandowski - Mon the Poles!!!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:40 pm

1-1 now; Portugal have been coming into it more. Ronaldo should have been awarded a pen. Poland have created the better chances but aren't finishing them off. Portugal keeper looks a bombscare
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 pm

From a promising start this has become a poor game. Almost half time in extra time now and neither side look like scoring
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Ronaldo missed a few chances in that game, should've had a penalty though so think they deserved to go through. Good penalty shoot out, poor game after a promising start.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Some game this, Belgium started both halves the better team but Wales have gone ahead with a wonderful build up and finish to their 2nd goal.

Thought Belgium were going to run away with it after they scored with a stormer of a strike but Wales are looking the better team now.
    Lukaku missed a sitter of a header and it has cost them, can't say Wales don't deserve to be winning though, great team spirit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content