The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
LiviCub
Troy
Auld Nick
Durnford
orco
Liviforever
10 posters

Dumbarton v Livi

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Dumbarton v Livi Empty Dumbarton v Livi

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Lithgow and Halkett are suspended for this game so that is going to make it a bit more difficult. Buchanan coming in alongside Gallagher is an obv choice but I wonder if Hoppy will continue with his back 3 formation or change to a flat back 4, bringing McMillan and Longridge in as FB's. I think that would be a lot more solid than sticking Jacko in as the 3rd CB anyway, I have flashbacks to the St Mirren 3-1 home defeat the last time we did that. Or maybe he'll bring McMillan in alongside Gallagher and Buchanan, the change to our back line is going to be unsettling anyway, we've had the same 3 players nearly every game playing in there.

Something along the lines of this:

...                              Alexander

.McMillan        Gallagher        Buchanan        Longridge

.Cadden           Byrne           Pittman            Rafa  

...                     Hardie             Miller  

Or this if we stick with the usual formation:

...                       Alexander

...     McMillan      Buchanan         Gallagher

. Robinson    Byrne    Pittman    Jacobs   Cadden

...                 Hardie       Miller

The latter looks more appealing as an attacking set up but i'd say defensively it is riskier than the former. But the midfield is def weaker in the former which is part of our defence and attack, tough call for Hoppy.

Really not sure how this will go, my usual confidence is tempered by the uncertainty of how we'll line up, and if we'll manage ok without Lithgow and Halkett. Perhaps a draw would be a decent result in the circumstances but I feel we need to be getting a win here, that's 3 draws in the bounce, I don't think we can afford another draw and rely on other results to keep going our way much longer.

Last edited by Liviforever on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    orco
    orco

Dumbarton v Livi Empty Re: Dumbarton v Livi

Post by orco Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I am not confident going into this one without our two best defenders. And we'll miss Lithgow's long throw ins. Our 2nd goal on Saturday was a Lithgow throw in to Halkett.
    I definitely prefer your second selection. Longridge is ineffective in defence. He was partly to blame for their second on Saturday. I'd be inclined to go with the old adage - attack is the best method of defence. We just need to score one more than them. Rolling Eyes
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:20 pm

With Buchanan and Gallagher being heavily reliant right sided players I'd hesitate before moving one over the the left. The obvious choice there would be Longridge but he has a bad habit of leaving a gap at the back and with only three at the back that's an obvious danger.

With that in mind I'd probably go for the four at the back scenario.

Of late Cadden has appeared far stronger on the left side; particularly when working with Longridge; Likewise I'd loath to leave out Jacobs, particularly after the shift he put in for the last few games, so might go for him on the left wing.

Tempted to hold De Vita in reserve to come on half way through the second half to replace Millar with a fresh pair of legs.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 pm

Lithgow is also heavily right footed, so I see no problem with a back 3.

LF, why would you put Jacobs out wide? He's been central whenever I've seen him play this season.
    I'd keep him there & have either Robinson or De Vita out wide.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I think Gallagher has played on the left before too, that's why I stuck him there rather than Buchanan or McMillan, and really don't fancy Longridge in a back 3 again, also he isn't that tall and it cost us at set pieces against St Mirren.

Yeah i'd have put Rafa out wide if I was putting anyone there, but i'd rather have Jacobs playing and didn't see anywhere else to put him. He used to play on the wing for us too so isn't a stranger there. I suppose Robinson and Cadden could be on the wings too right enough, that would prob work fine as well. There changed it for you Bertie, good input. Now we'll just have to wait and see if we've got close to the team Hoppy selects. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 am

Yeah, not a bad team at all if they all play to their abilities.
    Jacobs as a winger was great back in the day, don't think he has the same burst of pace anymore though.

Right...so, Dumbarton down off the back of being destroyed by Saints... Will want to react especially at home. Regardless of how we dress it up, we are a weaker side without Lithgow & Halkett.

Getting fed up with these draws (reminds me of how the season started, seemed to take ages to get a win) soooooo

Dumbarton 1 Livingston 1
    FG 33 mins

Now go out there and prove me wrong lads!!
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am

Careful Bertie! A defeat would prove you wrong. Shocked
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah two ways Dumbarton could react after a 5-0 pumping, go in all guns blazing to get a win against us and get themselves back some pride, or be really low on confidence and get gubbed again. They've nothing going forward and even looked honking in the IrnBru cup final, this game will also have taken a lot out of our PT friends, so I'm going for the latter, they've not shown anything to suggest they can suddenly turn up in a game and are a shadow of past Dumbarton teams we've played in this league.

A comfortable afternoon for Livi is my prediction, 4-0 Livi, fg 18 mins

And for a freebie thrown in I predict a Ryan Hardie Hattrick and the ref to chop off 2 Livi goals for dodgy offside calls or it would've been 6-0.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 pm

orco wrote:Careful Bertie! A defeat would prove you wrong. Shocked

Whoops lol!
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 am

It occurs to me that if Gallagher hadn't been restrained and had caught up with Dykes; both players could have been given a red card which would have left us with NO first choice defenders going into this game.

Predicting a score for this one is going to require a bit of guesswork over what team we actually roll out however I'm I'm going for a 1 - 3 Livi win with the first goal on 22nd minute
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah noticed Craig Halkett has been the voice of reason getting a hold of Dec a few times, also took Rooney throwing his arm back into his face well too, and didn't seek retaliation or cause a fuss, that'll be one of the reasons he's our Captain, cool head on him. Def a main contender for PoTY, doing a cracking job in defence and currently our top goal scorer as well.
    Troy

Post by Troy Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 am

Off to Geordieland this morning to take in Gateshead v Dagenham Redbridge today then Newcastle v Huddersfield Town tommorow,so will miss my cutomnery pint at the Rock Bowling club.As has been said hopefully our guys up front will take the pressure off our depleted defence tommorow and come out the traps all guns blazing.Will be a tough game though as they have their on agenda but i feel we are good enough to come back along the M8 with the three points that will mean as much to us as it will them.So Haway the Lions and di it for us.Enjoy.Lol.T. bounce
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:14 am

Technically you are heading to Makem land, Gateshead being south of the Tyne. I think their may be a bit more affinity between the Geordie Toon & Gateshead than there is between them & the Wearsiders though.

Been to a couple of games at St James's; saw Man City win 1-0 with a goal by Emile M'Penza and saw Toon beat Spurs, can't remember the score but it might have been 2-0 or 3-1 or something like that & included a Shearer goal from a pen.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:57 am

On the back of a cup defeat and a humping from St Mirren, expect a gritty Dumbarton team that we haven’t seen for a while.

Dumbarton 1. Livingston 0. FG 72 mins.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:20 pm

LiviCub wrote:On the back of a cup defeat and a humping from St Mirren, expect a gritty Dumbarton team that we haven’t seen for a while.

Dumbarton 1. Livingston 0. FG 72 mins.

Or a side devoid of confidence with any luck...hopefully the attacking players take the game by the scruff of the neck with our defense being short a few key members.

I'd take a ground out 1-0 with the last kick of the ball
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 pm

3-1 Livi, FG 23 mins.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

2-0, FG 23 mins.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm

4-4-2 it is then

Alexander, McMillan, Buchanan, Gallagher, Longridge, De Vita, Byrne, Pittman, Cadden, Hardie & Miller
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm spot on with my 4-4-2 option then.

..                              Alexander

.McMillan        Gallagher        Buchanan        Longridge

.Cadden           Byrne           Pittman            Rafa  

..                     Hardie             Miller

Unless we're going 3 at the back and Longridge is playing at LM. Laughing
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm

No Frizzell in the team and only 6 subs named?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 pm

2-0 Miller and Hardie, my 4-0 prediction is looking good.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:46 pm

3-0 halft time...de vita adding the third....lovely
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Rafa makes it 3-0, fecksake Livi calm doon, my 4-0 prediction is looking a little bit conservative now. Laughing
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Finished 3-0 so once again you were overly optimistic lol!

Another good day with the other results having no impact on our grip on second and Saints only got a draw after being 2 up.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm

I stopped paying attention to the results when our game was finished...delighted to hear about the late equalizer for Morton...keeps the chasing pack at bay for a wee while

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm