The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Smithy
Liviforever
Auld Nick
mozam76
LiviCub
Lexi Collector
EdinburghLivi
orco
12 posters

Aberdeen v Livi ( League Cup)

Livi2IDie

Aberdeen v Livi ( League Cup) - Page 2 Empty Re: Aberdeen v Livi ( League Cup)

Post by Livi2IDie Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 am

Edward snowdon wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:4-0.

Won't argue much about it, never been impressed by the current side we have. Scrapped past absolute diddy teams in the Challenge Cup, and on course for a relegation battle in the league. Most Livi fans impressed with our start to the season, but I'm far from impressed. Bloody rubbish.

Totally agree don't believe our manager knows much about modern day football. All is signing are tall or beasts he as yet to sign a footballer. We have no creativity and he makes same changes every game regardless of scoreline or who is playing bad  Three forwards for 3 forwards ! We have a backline with a midfielder playing right back and 2 CH who cant pass more than 10 yards. Talbot is less than average with his football ability really wish the manger would change it and we are missing big Declan hope hes back soon

IN RESPONSE TO EDWARD SNOWDON (Nice Name): The only two things I agree with is yes we are shaky at the back and we don't have enough creativity! However by all accounts last night we were denied at least two penalties at 1 nil down, their keeper produced a view great saves and the final scoreline of 4-0 was very harsh.

IMO we haven't performed to standard in only two games, Dumbarton away and Raith at home, two games out of eleven so let's not get all doom and gloom we've had hard fixtures to start (mostly away) and more to come!

You talk about the manager's signings and that he doesn't know much about modern day football - Think your talking oot yer arse tbh:

Hippo - Super Sub & Cult Hero
    Gallagher - Solid CB & Great Signing
    White - Top Goalscorer in the Championship
    Glen - Few MOTM performances
    David Robertson - Brings Experience to the team
    McKenna - Lively winger from the Juniors

Ogelby - Been Injured
    Donaldson - Been Injured

I think time will tell with this young side and the fixtures are very tough for the next few weeks, just maybe we can spring an upset if we get behind the team!!

#MonTheLions
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Chin up lads,

We were all pretty happy last week after beating Alloa 4-0, 2 games and 2 defeats later and we're shite. The highs and lows of football. Laughing

Still in a semi final against a lower league team so got a good chance of at least getting to the final. I wouldn't have given tuppence for us getting past the first round of any of the cups so we're doing better than my expectation. Still think we'll do ok in the league too now, though I admit I got carried away thinking we had a chance of a top 4 place, just have to take it as it comes and wait till the first 9 games are played to see where we are.

We're all going to be pretty down if we lose against Hearts, Falkirk and The rangers but it's a distinct possibility that we will, really should've got something against Raith and def should've beaten Dumbarton, as we are now needing to take points from these 3 difficult games.
    Livi2IDie

Post by Livi2IDie Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Spot on!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Livi2IDie wrote:

IN RESPONSE TO EDWARD SNOWDON (Nice Name): The only two things I agree with is yes we are shaky at the back and we don't have enough creativity! However by all accounts last night we were denied at least two penalties at 1 nil down, their keeper produced a view great saves and the final scoreline of 4-0 was very harsh.

#MonTheLions

Looks like McGlynn agrees with you L2ID: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/livingston/livi-boss-sees-positives-in-spite-of-four-goal-defeat-1-3551131

Until the second goal went in I thought we were well in the game so, I think 4-0 is a bit harsh on us,” McGlynn commented. “I thought we gave a good account of ourselves in the first half where we had one or two opportunities and their goalkeeper has had a couple of good saves. It was quite an open game with chances at either end.

“But it became very difficult after they got their second goal when Aberdeen showed their qualities. They’re very sharp and everyone knows they are a good side. The positive we can take is our performance in the first hour, although we got punished later on in the game. But we’ll take it on the chin and dust ourselves down as we’ve got a big game against Hearts on Sunday.”

Dunno what Glen has to do to get a goal, even when he gets a good shot in the keeper makes a great save.

Glen then must have thought he had netted his first goal since his move from Ross County in the summer when his piercing left-footed drive was bound for the far corner, but Brown was again Aberdeen’s saviour as he got down to turn the ball wide of the target.
    EdinburghLivi
    EdinburghLivi
    Admin

Post by EdinburghLivi Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:32 pm

We were good in the first half but Aberdeen absolutely steamrolled us after they got their excellent second goal. Different class to us.

Absolutely rank rotten goal to concede to put us behind. It was so bloody easy, I wanted to cry.

I then did start crying when I saw our deliveries into the box throughout the game. If I can pissing do it, they certainly can. So bad.

Fordyce and Sives have got to be the worst centre-half partnership we've had for ages. I don't think they are terrible players but they do not work together. The sooner Mensing and Gallagher come back the better.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:If we had any fight, we'd at least take them to ET or lose by the odd goal, but losing 4-0 to this mob sells us out. Utter shite - we always lie down to the "bigger teams", and it's fucking rubbish.

^Seething drunken mess.

Kind of stand by what I said though. We're always overwhelmed by bigger opposition, and I genuinely believe we're a poor side. I'd expect similar scorelines in our next 2 matches.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Lexi Collector wrote:If we had any fight, we'd at least take them to ET or lose by the odd goal, but losing 4-0 to this mob sells us out. Utter shite - we always lie down to the "bigger teams", and it's fucking rubbish.

Don't think I've read as much nonsense in a long time.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Edward snowdon wrote:

Won't argue much about it, never been impressed by the current side we have. Scrapped past absolute diddy teams in the Challenge Cup, and on course for a relegation battle in the league. Most Livi fans impressed with our start to the season, but I'm far from impressed. Bloody rubbish.

Totally agree don't believe our manager knows much about modern day football. All is signing are tall or beasts he as yet to sign a footballer. We have no creativity and he makes same changes every game regardless of scoreline or who is playing bad  Three forwards for 3 forwards ! We have a backline with a midfielder playing right back and 2 CH who cant pass more than 10 yards. Talbot is less than average with his football ability really wish the manger would change it and we are missing big Declan hope hes back soon

Why are we missing big Declan? Judging by your earlier comment he isn't a footballer just tall or a beast, or perhaps he's both.

Some people need to get a grip on reality; we are a diddy team which is probably mid table at best in our division; if we get a decent result against a "big team" it is a genuine "giant killing".
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Livi2IDie wrote:
    Edward snowdon wrote:

IMO we haven't performed to standard in only two games, Dumbarton away and Raith at home, two games out of eleven so let's not get all doom and gloom we've had hard fixtures to start (mostly away) and more to come!

You talk about the manager's signings and that he doesn't know much about modern day football - Think your talking oot yer arse tbh:

Hippo - Super Sub & Cult Hero
    Gallagher - Solid CB & Great Signing
    White - Top Goalscorer in the Championship
    Glen - Few MOTM performances
    David Robertson - Brings Experience to the team
    McKenna - Lively winger from the Juniors

Ogelby - Been Injured
    Donaldson - Been Injured

I think time will tell with this young side and the fixtures are very tough for the next few weeks, just maybe we can spring an upset if we get behind the team!!

#MonTheLions

Willie Miller (he of the Aberdeen legend & hard to please variety) described some of the 1st half action on "open all mics" last night by saying that Livi were playing very good football & Aberdeen had their keeper to thank for keeping them ahead.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 pm

What we need to remember is that Aberdeen beat Ross County by 3 goals on Saturday too. We have had a good start to the season so let's get our expectations in check and enjoy the ride. Next game up is Hearts and I'm looking forward to it.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 am

Smithy wrote:What we need to remember is that Aberdeen beat Ross County by 3 goals on Saturday too. We have had a good start to the season so let's get our expectations in check and enjoy the ride. Next game up is Hearts and I'm looking forward to it.

No we haven't.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:25 am

Lexi Collector wrote:
    Smithy wrote:What we need to remember is that Aberdeen beat Ross County by 3 goals on Saturday too. We have had a good start to the season so let's get our expectations in check and enjoy the ride. Next game up is Hearts and I'm looking forward to it.

No we haven't.
    think getting to a semi final of a cup is a good start to a season.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:

Don't think I've read as much nonsense in a long time.
    totally agree
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 am

We've had a better start to this season than compared to last season considering we had a horrendous start which forced us to change our manager, plus the fact we were out of the Challenge and League Cup.

So far, we've just been inconsistent and this will continue throughout the season. We never take our chances when we have an opportunity to claim a spot in the top four but we'll be clinical enough to get ourselves away from 9th/10th.
    Edward snowdon

Post by Edward snowdon Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 pm

We have the two top teams and Falkirk in our next three games which will end round 1 of the fixture - played every team once. I think we will be lucky to get 1 point draw with Falkirk from these fixtures that will put us on 8 points and probably in the relagation play off spot. Maybe I went over the top but sorry I don't think that is good enough considering we are fulltime and which should leave at least 3 teams below us. Why are we a diddy team expecting to finish mid table we are playing in the Championship and should at least be challenging for a top four playoff spot
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Edward snowdon wrote:We have the two top teams and Falkirk in our next three games which will end round 1 of the fixture - played every team once. I think we will be lucky to get 1 point draw with Falkirk from these fixtures that will put us on 8 points and probably in the relagation play off spot. Maybe I went over the top but sorry I don't think that is good enough considering we are fulltime and which should leave at least 3 teams below us. Why are we a diddy team expecting to finish mid table we are playing in the Championship and should at least be challenging for a top four playoff spot

Yeah but we haven't the fanbase and budget to be seriously challenging for a top 4 place. We may be FT but we're seriously in debt and haven't much more of a home att than the PT teams.  We've prob got the lowest budget of all the FT teams.

I'm hoping we can get 4 points from our next 3 games, they are all bigger and better teams than us but none are unbeatable, others have taken points off them.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Smithy wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:

No we haven't.

We've lost to the worst Hibs team in living memory, who are getting roundly humped off everyone else, and lost to Raif and Dumbarton. We've only beaten 2 part-time sides at home. SF of the Challenge Cup looks alright paper but we've only played 3 matches against 2 diddy clubs and Hearts under 12s. Couldn't even beat the diddy teams after 90 mins. Raped by Aberdeen just there in the week.

Average/slightly poor start to the season, IMO. Especially in the league.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:46 pm

We got put out of the Challenge cup to a team in a lower division last season so still a big improvement getting to the semi final. QoS aint no diddy team and I fully expect them to be in the top 4, we've beaten them twice in cup comps, whether it's in ET or not doesn't matter, and drew with them in the league.

Guess we can either look at it positively or negatively Lexi, imo we're having a better season than last in a tougher league. The Hibs game was our opener in the League and they got lucky, reckon we'll beat them the next time we play. In fact the 2nd quarter should tell us more as everyone will know each other after the first quarter and it should provide us with more points than the first quarter. Hope so anyway.

We did ok for an hour against Aberdeen but I'm not kidding myself, harsh scoreline or not we got out classed by a better team as they were more clinical than us. Disappointing but only losing 1 or 2-0 wouldn't really make much difference, we'd still be out and nobody really expected us to beat them.

Still a lot of positives to take from the squad, we know we can compete with the teams outside the top 2 and haven't been out classed by any of them. I think we can improve where being clinical is concerned, would be worse if we weren't actually creating chances.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:06 am

Edward snowdon wrote:We have the two top teams and Falkirk in our next three games which will end round 1 of the fixture - played every team once. I think we will be lucky to get 1 point draw with Falkirk from these fixtures that will put us on 8 points and probably in the relagation play off spot. Maybe I went over the top but sorry I don't think that is good enough considering we are fulltime and which should leave at least 3 teams below us. Why are we a diddy team expecting to finish mid table we are playing in the Championship and should at least be challenging for a top four playoff spot

Because in a division of 10 teams there are probably 4 or 5 teams that will prove to be better than us over the season (I fully expect Hearts, Rangers, Hibs, QoS & maybe Falkirk to finish above us) & 1 or 2 (Raith & Dumbarton) that its arguable whether we are better than them or vice versa. If we get on a consistent run of good results then we COULD challenge for 4th but that remains to be seen.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:14 am

Lexi Collector wrote:
    Smithy wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:

No we haven't.

We've lost to the worst Hibs team in living memory, who are getting roundly humped off everyone else, and lost to Raif and Dumbarton. We've only beaten 2 part-time sides at home. SF of the Challenge Cup looks alright paper but we've only played 3 matches against 2 diddy clubs and Hearts under 12s. Couldn't even beat the diddy teams after 90 mins. Raped by Aberdeen just there in the week.

I would say "I haven't read so much nonsense in a long time" but you do contain some facts this time so its marginally more sensible than your last effort.

As I mentioned a moment ago I expect Hibs to finish higher than us, that said they only beat us by virtue of a bizarre goal that DJ should have been on his line to simply catch but wasn't. We have lost narrowly to both Raith & Dumbarton which are results that will happen in football regardless of how good you are.

Aberdeen won 4-0 in the end; so what? Celtic beat Hearts 3-0, does that mean Hearts have had a crap start to the season? They are only top of the Scottish second tier, could only draw with PT Dumbarton & were thrashed out of sight when they fielded a weakened side (including a player who then scored a hat trick in his next game) against Livi & earlier in the season could only beat the worst Hibs team in living memory 2-1.
    Lexi Collector
    Lexi Collector
    Admin

Post by Lexi Collector Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:
    Smithy wrote:
    Lexi Collector wrote:

No we haven't.

I would say "I haven't read so much nonsense in a long time" but you do contain some facts this time so its marginally more sensible than your last effort.

As I mentioned a moment ago I expect Hibs to finish higher than us, that said they only beat us by virtue of a bizarre goal that DJ should have been on his line to simply catch but wasn't. We have lost narrowly to both Raith & Dumbarton which are results that will happen in football regardless of how good you are.

Aberdeen won 4-0 in the end; so what? Celtic beat Hearts 3-0, does that mean Hearts have had a crap start to the season? They are only top of the Scottish second tier, could only draw with PT Dumbarton & were thrashed out of sight when they fielded a weakened side (including a player who then scored a hat trick in his next game) against Livi & earlier in the season could only beat the worst Hibs team in living memory 2-1.

Shocked

You can't compare the 2. Hearts are cruising it in the league (albeit a pub league), and clearly showed the Challenge Cup and ourselves nothing but utter contempt that night. Celtic are a million miles ahead of anyone else in Scottish football, that result last night wasn't unexpected at all. They've made a good start to the season, as they've won the majority of their league games with consummate ease, and have a lead at the top of the table. We've had several poor results in games we should have done better in. The comparison of success/failure between the 2 sides so far this season isn't relative. HMFC fans will be happier than we are thus far, for certain.

I'm not really one of these fans who buys into 'giving a good account of ourselves' and 'giving it our best shot'. Don't make basic errors, don't muck about with tactics/subs and have a bit of cutting edge. It's highly possible we could be sitting 9th a week on Saturday having not played Falkirk. The Challenge Cup is a bonus diddy cup. I think too many of our fans are reading too much into beating Hearts kids and Peterhead after 120 minutes.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Of course you can compare the two...you just did!

I didn't say Hearts had made a bad start, but they have also had some poor results & should have done better. Of course Celtic beating them was expected...did you really EXPECT Livi to beat Aberdeen? Didn't think so; so losing 4-0 in a cup tie is relatively irrelevant, we'd be out even if it had been 1-0. I think you are reading too much into the scoreline.

Hearts fans will be happier of course, they are top of the league & doing very well. We were never going to be challenging for top spot & the fact were in with a shout of the top 4 given the changes in personnel (yet again) over the summer suggests that we were doing okay. Yes we could be 9th after the Falkirk game but that depends on other results as well as our own; we could have been 3rd or 4th had we beaten Raith, depending on other results. Had we done so, I'm pretty sure you'd have been saying that we've been crap all season & really lucky to be there; there just ain't no pleasing some folk.
    Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:43 am

BB has got it spot on about the 4 nil score line, we are out of the league cup whether it was 1 or 4 .

However we have some on here shouting we need to challenging for a top four slot, well in normal circumstances I agree, but this year with the big three in our league then that only leaves one available place being fourth spot so this year for us to be in the top seven ,which in other years would mean a top four slot,and in a cup final would be acceptable.

I see no reason that we can't finish in the top seven and be in a cup final so I'm going to enjoy all the big games encourage the players and see where we end up. We may even surprise ourselves if we can just get realistic expectations.

We are the team with the championships top scorer at present and yet people are saying they wish they had McNulty back. We really need to get a grip and back the players we have , live in the present not the past.

McGlynn has steadied the ship of that there is no doubt, I had a look at the Aberdeenshire fans forum and one quote was .....Livi were no mugs....... So why can't our own support start believing this because we are a decent team.

Smithy
    Smithy

Post by Smithy Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:46 am

Smithy wrote:BB has got it spot on about the 4 nil score line, we are out of the league cup whether it was 1 or 4 .

However we have some on here shouting we need to be challenging for a top four slot, well in normal circumstances I agree, but this year with the big three in our league then that only leaves one available place being fourth spot so this year for us to be in the top seven ,which in other years would mean a top four slot,and in a cup final would be acceptable.

I see no reason that we can't finish in the top seven and be in a cup final so I'm going to enjoy all the big games encourage the players and see where we end up. We may even surprise ourselves if we can just get realistic expectations.

We are the team with the championships top scorer at present and yet people are saying they wish they had McNulty back. We really need to get a grip and back the players we have , live in the present not the past.

McGlynn has steadied the ship of that there is no doubt, I had a look at the Aberdeen fans forum and one quote was .....Livi were no mugs....... So why can't our own support start believing this too, because we are a decent team with the limited budget that we have.

Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:59 am

Our best recent period was under Bollan when we came back up through the leagues with back to back titles, and kept everyone together. Unfortunately since getting into the 1st div/Championship we've not had a settled team from one season to another, or up until McGlynn, the same manager two seasons running.

Continuity is what we need to seriously challenge for a top 4 spot (as QoS have had) but I doubt if we'll get it as Gallagher and Hippolyte will prob be away next season and if some others attract attention they will be too.

Depending on our finances we may not be able to keep some players either, we've had two clear outs in the last two seasons due to cutting our wage bill. With all that going on I think we've got a decent squad this season, McGlynn has done well with his signings on our current budget.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 am