The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

St Mirren v Livi

Livi2020

St Mirren v Livi - Page 2 Empty Re: St Mirren v Livi

Post by Livi2020 Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:https://twitter.com/LiviFCOfficial/status/1363122628647677955/photo/1

DM may be losing the plot.... Max has made one or two errors lately but nowhere near as many as Robbie made earlier in the season without losing his place... Reilly is just back from isolating & hasn’t exactly impressed so far... what does Pops have to do to get a start?

Hopefully he knows something we don’t & these guys do the business today.

DM HAS lost the plot 🤦‍�🤬 Jet gets 20min and Pops not even a sniff again 🤦‍�
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:30 pm

Had to go away to get ma Covid jab today, so didnt see the game. But by most accounts ive heard was a fair result.No doubt il be enlightened by you guys who watched it.Will wait for Sportscene as i dont speak Gealic. But just to add,worrying form from St Johnston. Huge week ahead,il say no more.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Troy wrote:Had to go away to get ma Covid jab today, so didnt see the game. But by most accounts ive heard was a fair result.No doubt il be enlightened by you guys who watched it.Will wait for Sportscene as i dont speak Gealic. But just to add,worrying form from St Johnston. Huge week ahead,il say no more.

Would still be better than listening to those havering gobshites on St Mirren commentary today. Worst i've heard yet, and it takes something bad to beat the Killie ones, but they managed it.

Wouldn't bother with the 2nd half if you were watching it on alba, non event with the wind blowing everything we hit up the pitch straight out or onto Alnwick. Felt we should've gone in ahead first half with the amount of balls bouncing through their box that weren't defended, but we couldn't get anyone on them.

2nd half as the gams went on we settled for the point, just hoofing long balls and giving away possession, not a great watch. In the end i was glad to see us get the draw and go in 5 points ahead of them, 6 over Utd, we at least stopped the run of defeats and got a positive result going into the final next week.

Just to add, McCrorie had a good game, handled everything well and stopped a few shots, nothing he could do with their goal off the inside of the post, 99 times out of 100 that would've ended up in the stand, just our luck the boy caught it perfectly to score his first goal since 2019.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Ok,call me daft but im going to punish myself by watching the whole game as i missed it earlier. Incidently reading comments from Mirren Johnston United stating they are all aiming for 40 points to cements top 6.Look at the table lads.👀we are already there.Pleasing.Social media will now go into overdrive for the next 8 days or so.Further comments on todays game to follow.Slangevar.😂🦁.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Right.Just watched the Gaelic rerun of the whole game.First half,seemed we could have put this game to bed.Few chances missed.They scored against the run of play,though the boy took it well, Mcrorie no chance with their goal.Boy should have been closed down and thus not allowing him to have a crack.Agree with L/F.Second half basicly a non entity. Both teams didnt want to lose and it showed.Overall decent point for us away from home in the big picture. 40 Points on the board.Any complaints? 🤔 👍🦁.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:31 pm

I think Max like Marvin will be back next week. They were rested before the semi final I think.

Troy likes this post

Troy

Post by Troy Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm

Tbf Mcrorie had no chance with their goal.But as i said earlier should have been closed down before taking that shot.In real time that i missed i suppose a point away from home normally considered a decent return. Safety secured for another season 👏.Next week a bonus.🏆.

Livi2020

Post by Livi2020 Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:40 pm

Troy wrote:Tbf Mcrorie had no chance with their goal.But as i said earlier should have been closed down before taking that shot.In real time that i missed i suppose a point away from home normally considered a decent return. Safety secured for another season 👏.Next week a bonus.🏆.

Guys am I missing something?
    We had a great chance to finish top 4 this season.
    We need to be aiming for something better than just staying in the league, I think we are past that, we need to be moving forward and especially after last season we need to be striving to improve and get better and even aim for European Football. For me just staying in the league is no longer enough.
    Sorry, rant over!!!
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:45 am

Pushing for 4th would be brilliant, but Aberdeen are an established top 4 team, and will prob win enough points to stay where they are, we went on an unbelievable run to even get near to them. I haven't given up hoping we can catch them yet, but it's looking a tough task after them winning 3 pts yesterday.

St Johnstone are looking like pushing for a top 6 too, so we need to win at least one game before the split to make sure we stay ahead of them and St Mirren, after that we can relax a bit and maybe push for 4th, but main thing would be to hold onto 5th as it would still get us a European spot.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:13 pm

I thought 5th only gets Euro place IF someone does the double?

Or are you assuming Scottish Cup will be voided this season?

If it is voided I would suggest the League Cup winners should get the place normally reserved for Scottish Cup winners as IMO winning a trophy is more successful than not winning anything.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Nah 5th place will get it if the Scottish cup doesn't get played this season. Normally it would go to the next placing down in the league if one of the top 4* won the SC, but can't see it being completed with the Lower leagues looking done due to covid, doesn't look like League One & Two are going to resume for completion.

*Usually top 3 but there is an extra European place to play for this season.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:46 am

Yeah, I was forgetting the SC was unlikely to finish this season when I started but while I think you are correct in saying 5th will get the 3rd EL spot, I still think it ought to go to the LC winners. Success should be rewarded & winning a cup is better than finishing 5th... but it’s like down South where the top 4 is the be all & end all.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:27 am

Normally i'd agree with you, eg, Championship top 4 getting play offs for promotion, 3rd and 4th don't really deserve it, but the way it's set up i can't see them ever winning it from there, really have to get 2nd place to have any chance, and avoid the first 2 legs in round one of the play offs. However the Premiership is tough, and it took us going on a hell of an unbeaten run to get here, and we still aren't guaranteed finishing 5th, i think in all honesty (copyright David Martindale) 5th place is more deserving than a cup winner, and will give a better account of themselves in the European competition, we've had a pretty easy run in the cup to get to the final, compared with what we've had to do to get to 5th place.

Hopefully we'll do both, win the cup and finish 5th (or 4th), then play in Europe next season.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:06 pm

So are you saying you’d take 5th rather than a cup win?

I’d take the cup win all day long, that goes in the history books.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Start of the season our aim was safety first and then see where it to us.I suspect that not to many of us would have envisaged us in a cup final.We are safe for another year which is releiving so on that front its job done. The difficult task of making history again though is so tempting and like Bertie i feel its a no brainer. Silverware for the club would be an incredible achevment for us as i guess it would be for Saints. But il deal with that scenario later in the week.🦁.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:So are you saying you’d take 5th rather than a cup win?

You've some imagination if you got that from what i said. Laughing

Here's an interesting one for you, which would you take, relegation and a cup win, or staying up and losing the final?

That one isn't so easy as any money we'd have made from previous top flight seasons, and Dykes money, will be gone with a season of no fans through the gates. The longer we stay up the more financially stable the club will be for future seasons, reckon we'll need a couple of more seasons with fans coming to games to clear our director loans, then it'll be money in the bank reserves.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 am

Troy wrote:Start of the season our aim was safety first and then see where it to us.I suspect that not to many of us would have envisaged us in a cup final.We are safe for another year which is releiving so on that front its job done. The difficult task of making history again though is so tempting and like Bertie i feel its a no brainer. Silverware for the club would be an incredible achevment for us as i guess it would be for Saints. But il deal with that scenario later in the week.🦁.

Guess who said this in our season expectations thread. Laughing

Being my optimistic self, i'm really having trouble staying grounded in my expectations, a bit of luck in the cups and we could get to a final, and don't see any reason not to be looking at another top 5 place, maybe even higher this time, but as always I expect Holt will be playing it down and coming out with the old 10th place target for league survival, which I really don't mind at all. Till about Xmas time anyway, then see where we are and hopefully set out sights higher.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 am

Liviforever wrote:

Here's an interesting one for you, which would you take, relegation and a cup win, or staying up and losing the final?

That one isn't so easy as any money we'd have made from previous top flight seasons, and Dykes money, will be gone with a season of no fans through the gates. The longer we stay up the more financially stable the club will be for future seasons, reckon we'll need a couple of more seasons with fans coming to games to clear our director loans, then it'll be money in the bank reserves.

Didn’t take much imagination to get from “5th place is more deserving than a cup winner” to my question, in fact your statement begs my question.

To your question... cup win & relegation versus losing final & staying up.... as it stands we shouldn’t have that dilemma this season but the way this season has gone it just needs us to go on a run of no wins to tighten things up again at the bottom. That said I think we won’t be facing that this season.

Looking to next season - The COVID situation would have to change to allow fans back in grounds, but if that happened I’d still take the cup win.... call me a glory hunter lol! ... we are IMO still punching way above our weight in the league - not that we don’t deserve to be where we are, we do, which makes the achievement even more remarkable... and when I look at the teams below us we have nothing to fear from them. So, it would be a cup win for me.

I do have to bow to your infernal eternal optimism though, you have called a fair few things right in the last few seasons.
    Troy

Post by Troy Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 am

Yeh me too Bertie.Hes a bugger when he occasionally gets it right😂😂😂.Lets see how weve done end of season then we can start to give out the plaudits. So much can still happen,starting on Sunday hopefully. 🤔🦁🏆.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:17 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:

Didn’t take much imagination to get from “5th place is more deserving than a cup winner” to my question, in fact your statement begs my question.

To your question... cup win & relegation versus losing final & staying up.... as it stands we shouldn’t have that dilemma this season but the way this season has gone it just needs us to go on a run of no wins to tighten things up again at the bottom. That said I think we won’t be facing that this season.

Looking to next season - The COVID situation would have to change to allow fans back in grounds, but if that happened I’d still take the cup win.... call me a glory hunter lol! ... we are IMO still punching way above our weight in the league - not that we don’t deserve to be where we are, we do, which makes the achievement even more remarkable... and when I look at the teams below us we have nothing to fear from them. So, it would be a cup win for me.

I do have to bow to your infernal eternal optimism though, you have called a fair few things right in the last few seasons.

That's not what i asked, it's a hypothetical question, same as yours, our winning the cup doesn't depend on us not finishing 5th, we can do both, and in no way shape or form did i say i'd rather do one over the other.

I stated fifth place is more deserving of a European place and still stick by that. Being 5th in the league has had a tougher road than getting to the final, the final relies more on luck, us avoiding Sevco (esp at Ibrox) and Celtic for one, or even Aberdeen, you have to play everyone in the league though, 3 and 4 times, nothing lucky in where you finish after a long hard season, thus more deserving. If you can take that to mean i'd rather get 5th place than a cup win then you've been reading too much Freud. lol!

I'll answer my own question seen as you managed to swerve around it like a seasoned  politician avoiding being put on the spot. Firstly your question, If i had to choose between 5th and a cup win, i'd win a cup every time, if it was stay up and not win a cup, or win a cup and be relegated, at this juncture i'd take league survival, which would give us a better financial future.

Fortunately for us, we're managing to be sensible with finances and still get a shot at cup glory, top 6 finishes, and a European place, what a time to be a Livi fan. sunny cheers
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Anyway enough of this shite, we're going to win the cup on Sunday. Mon the Lions cheers
    Troy

Post by Troy Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm

And come up for breath L/F😂😂😂.Well said.Were all on tenderhooks at the moment.I genuinely hope you are correct in your presumptions.And will take great delight in congratulating you in your unswerved opptomism which has stood you in good stead on occasions. In the unlikely event we dont do it,il be gracious in sympathising with you, but dont want to even go there.Lol.T.🦁👍🍻🏆.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm