The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
forzalfc
ol1vercloff
cptn_hooch
Durnford
Troy
orco
Afro
Liviforever
Auld Nick
LiviLion
14 posters

2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread

Liviforever
    Liviforever

2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2017/18 Ins and Outs Thread

Post by Liviforever Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Yeah Bertie, I was hoping we'd have an experienced striker that had a proven goal scoring record in this division too but wage structure wise it wasn't happening. Quite excited to see how our 4 strikers do, quite like the dynamic we have, they all have something different to offer.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:21 am

Yeah, we seem to be drawing in young prospects who are looking for play more than pay. Which is a good sign that they will be going all out to make an impact and improve their game.

The downside is not having an experienced guy to advise on the pitch.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 am

I think Buchanan passed on his experience to Mullen last season, I saw a move Buchanan did to roll a player to let the ball go past him that Mullen did too, just before scoring a goal. Looked a lot stronger staying on his feet too which was good to see. You've got Keaghan and Rafa in midfield with plenty of experience in that area and although Dec isn't old he's been around a few teams playing at this level.
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 pm

James McFadden, anyone? Granted, never going to get anywhere near above 5 goals (at a push), but may fill the experienced player/coach role we seem to be looking to fill.
    Troy

Post by Troy Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Not to sure what Hoppy,s asspirations are for the coming season.Personally i reckon we are at least good enough with what weve got so far to avoid a dog fight at the wrong end of the table.The signings thus far dont exactly fill me full of enthusiasim although we must give the new guys a chance.i know davie talked about continuity possibly being the key for next season but i feel he is taking big risk albeit his hands are possibly tied by the lack of finances given to him so far as has been shown by our recent signings.We all spoke about the need to strentghen at the end of last season for this one.Hopefully Hoppy has a couple of experienced players still to come on board before the start of the season.Ifear we are gonna need them.Incidentlly 16/1 the Lions to win the leauge with the bookies.Any Takers?!!!
    Afro
    Afro

Post by Afro Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Troy wrote:Not to sure what Hoppy,s asspirations are for the coming season.Personally i reckon we are at least good enough with what weve got so far to avoid a dog fight at the wrong end of the table.The signings thus far dont exactly fill me full of enthusiasim although we must give the new guys a chance.i know davie talked about continuity possibly being the key for next season but i feel he is taking big risk  albeit his hands are possibly tied by the lack of finances given to him so far as has been shown by our recent signings.We all spoke about the need to strentghen at the end of last season for this one.Hopefully  Hoppy has a couple of experienced players still to come on board before the start of the season.Ifear we are gonna need them.Incidentlly 16/1 the Lions to win the leauge with the bookies.Any Takers?!!!

To quote my Grandad, Troy, you can only piss with the cock you've got. Laughing The level we're at now means that picking up players cast off from Development League sides and from Leagues 1 and 2. In a sense, I'm glad that's what we're doing, because we're obviously operating well within our means for the first time ever. If that means we yo-yo between this league and League 1, so be it; I'd rather we had a club here in 100 years time than nothing at all.

That said, it surely isn't a stretch for us to stay in this league and consolidate whilst doing so. Sides like QoS and Dumbarton are on a par with us off the park I would say, and they have been mainstays for some time in the second tier. I think we're an experienced GK and a RB away from being a competent side in this league, if I'm proven wrong so be it but I'll be surprised if we're well adrift in 9th (assuming Brechin don't pull out a stunning season).
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 pm

I was specifically meaning experience up front, Mullen has been around a few years now but is still young. I remember when John Robertson burst onto the scene at Hearts, he had Jimmy Bone & Sandy Clark as the experienced heads before he eventually paired up with Wayne Foster and/or John Colquhoun who were more his age.

Robertson, as far as I'm concerned was a much better player than Lucky McCoist & the other players of a similar ilk. Had he been at either of the OF clubs he'd have been a Scotland regular. Much of his development was down to the older heads advising him combined with his own natural ability to finish.

forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 am

Need another experienced striker. If we're staying with the 4 we have, then will be interesting to see who gets the #9 jersey... Carrick?
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am

Ridgers might be signing for ICT.

Think it'll be another loan for a keeper if we don't get him.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am

Squad page on the website has been updated, and Jay Willis/ Cammy White have disappeared off the youngsters so guessing they have been released.

Also interesting to see both Miller & Millar on the squad page.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Toderov back so guessing that completes our strikers. Wasn't overly impressed with him last season, but he's still young so hopefully can pull it off in the Championship.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Toderov i useful because he's a utility player; as well as forward he can play central defence or midfield.

On that basis we could start off with him in defence and move him further up as circumstances demand without necessarily using up a substitute.
    LiviCub
    LiviCub

Post by LiviCub Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Both Miller and Millar haven't joined new clubs yet so technically our offers are still on the table for them to sign. This might explain why they're still showing on the website until it's confirmed for definite where they'll be.

As for Todorov returning, I'm sure Hopkin would be the first to know if he thought Todorov was good enough for this league. Plus he already knows how Todorov plays and knows most of the squad so should be able to fit in with the team and how Hopkin will want them to play.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Durnford wrote:Toderov i useful because he's a utility player; as well as forward he can play central defence or midfield.

On that basis we could start off with him in defence and move him further up as circumstances demand without necessarily using up a substitute.
    Or the other way around if we're a goal up with 5 mins to go.

The only thing about having 5 strikers if we start chopping and changing every game like we did with Buchs and White you never get a settled partnership and wont get the best out of them. It is difficult to keep everyone happy either way but i'd prefer if Hoppy gets his best 2 strikers sorted out during pre season and the Betfred cup and then go with them in the league.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:25 pm

forzalfc wrote:Toderov back so guessing that completes our strikers. Wasn't overly impressed with him last season, but he's still young so hopefully can pull it off in the Championship.

The Tod is back. cheers

I like him, gives you a big physical presence up front and someone that will rough up defences for Mullen or Carrick to feed off. If he could just get his eye in a bit better when he shoots i'd be delighted, cause he certainly creates shooting opportunites for himself.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Afro wrote:
    Troy wrote:Not to sure what Hoppy,s asspirations are for the coming season.Personally i reckon we are at least good enough with what weve got so far to avoid a dog fight at the wrong end of the table.The signings thus far dont exactly fill me full of enthusiasim although we must give the new guys a chance.i know davie talked about continuity possibly being the key for next season but i feel he is taking big risk  albeit his hands are possibly tied by the lack of finances given to him so far as has been shown by our recent signings.We all spoke about the need to strentghen at the end of last season for this one.Hopefully  Hoppy has a couple of experienced players still to come on board before the start of the season.Ifear we are gonna need them.Incidentlly 16/1 the Lions to win the leauge with the bookies.Any Takers?!!!

To quote my Grandad, Troy, you can only piss with the cock you've got. Laughing The level we're at now means that picking up players cast off from Development League sides and from Leagues 1 and 2. In a sense, I'm glad that's what we're doing, because we're obviously operating well within our means for the first time ever. If that means we yo-yo between this league and League 1, so be it; I'd rather we had a club here in 100 years time than nothing at all.

That said, it surely isn't a stretch for us to stay in this league and consolidate whilst doing so. Sides like QoS and Dumbarton are on a par with us off the park I would say, and they have been mainstays for some time in the second tier. I think we're an experienced GK and a RB away from being a competent side in this league, if I'm proven wrong so be it but I'll be surprised if we're well adrift in 9th (assuming Brechin don't pull out a stunning season).
    Yep would tottally agree with yourGrandads sentiments Afro.Some people would probably say that going by our history weve cockpissed way beyond our means for many a year and yes it is pleasing to see that some sort of semblanse has come to the club recently.For what its worth i would love to see the club flourish in the many years to come although i reckon ive got about another 20 years or so on this mortal coil and so the rollercoaster that is Livi will continue .As hoppy said on STV tonight aim for 8th place this season and it will be seen as a succsess.Just a goalkeeper needed and that will just about do for me,mighthave to reconsider my own aspirations for next season with the squad Davies assembling.Very encouraging indeed.LOL!!
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Toddy seemed to enjoy playing for us although I was more impressed by his defensive efforts than as a forward. That said he did notch some important goals. Not overly bothered that he has signed on loan as I would have preferred some experience up front.
    LiviLion
    LiviLion

Post by LiviLion Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 am

Danny Handling has been told he's free to leave Hibs, ourselves and Dunfermline chasing him.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Hopkin's loves a midfielder, must have about 12 signed, maybe he's also good in goals.  Suspect
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Neil Alexander signing today. Team coming together nicely... still not confident on the striker front though.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 am

I'm really impressed by the strength of our midfield; already we must have one of the best in the division.

The defence have looked like they can generally hold their own when playing with two wing-backs. We've won pretty much everything in the air and Halkett is an excellent sweeper.

Currently the forward line is struggling; lack of positional form etc. Personally I think its worth playing three at the front until this settles itself out with Mullen in the middle.

Unfortunately this would mean reducing our midfield to four (including two playing as wing backs) but with Keaghan and Scott Pittman in the middle they'd still be pretty impressive.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:04 pm

We're playing Premiership teams too though, which is 2 steps up from last season, even the 2nd worst Premiership teams have been too good for our top 4 Championship teams in the play offs so we wont have it as hard when we start playing league games. The Betfred cup will be a better indicator for us to see how we'll do, esp the St Mirren game.

Great news on signing Alexander, that's us pretty much done now, can't see us signing a RB, we seem to be going with a back 3 with Mullin as a wingback, and Longride will prob play on the left once he's back fit.
    cptn_hooch
    cptn_hooch

Post by cptn_hooch Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Still nothing official from the club re Alexander...hope he's no got cold feet
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Aye raif better no nip in, feckers have form for that.
    forzalfc

Post by forzalfc Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:16 am

I would've happily taken Dean Brett, who's move to Montrose fell through.. but hearing he's signed with Bonnyrig now. Also think Jesus would take a small wage, and would be an excellent backup/ challenging Lithgow/ Crighton for a place when he's fully fit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:26 pm