The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
orco
Auld Nick
Hoochthedrummer
Durnford
Liviforever
forzalfc
10 posters

LFC Squad - 2020-21

Liviforever
    Liviforever

LFC Squad - 2020-21 - Page 5 Empty Re: LFC Squad - 2020-21

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Could always just sign another CB and play him at LB/LWB. lol!

If he's quality, and better than what we have then why not, otherwise there's no point. Potentially we've 6 players who can play as FB's or WB's, or at least the management team think they can.

McMillan, Devlin, Fitzwater & Lawson on the right.

McMillan, ATS & Brown on the left.

Personally i'd only choose McMillan or Devlin, and maybe Lawson too, from those on the right, and ATS & McMillan on the left. Only way i'd use the others is we had injuries/suspensions and was forced to.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Do we need another left back? We currently only have one actual left back in ATS & he is usually getting played as a left sided centre back/lwb. So it would actually make sense to have another identifiable left back.

We have a plethora of centre backs that can play left back but I don’t think we actually have a single player who is a recognised left back. Devlin is a recognised right back. McMillan is a utility defender & I think he’s better on the right. Brown can play left back but is much better in the centre, Ambrose likewise can play there but I think I’d rather see him in midfield where there is time to make amends for any defensive errors.

No indication this morning that we got him, so can only assume he didn’t beat the curfew.

Lawson is meant to be a recognised RB, according to an interview he did, that's his natural position, and where he plays for his Country, but was told to play in midfield at one of the clubs he signed for, and has played there for us too. Always thought he looked better in midfield than at RB though, except for a few games last season when he did actually play decent as a RB.

I think Devlin's problem was the system we played in our first 2 league games, he'd do better in a flat back four, couldn't do any worse anyway, he was murder against Hibs. But then again so were most of our players in that game.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Fullbacks are a problem for us, they rarely give us good balls into the box from the byeline, which when you have a CF like Dykes in the 18 yard box is criminal. Look at how the young Hibs LB Doig played against us last week, always looking to get on the overlap, offering width and putting in dangerous balls, crosses
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm

On the subject of Macmillan, whenever I’ve seen him play he looks decent, why doesn’t management give him a good run of games in his preferred position. He’s 22 I think, so not a youngster, if management think he’s good enough and is part of the future of Livi FC then play him.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Think ATS and Devlin can be decent with balls into the box, they were last season anyway, Efe against Motherwell was hopeless, both with his throw ins and crosses. Also while we're on the subject, Suda is about the only player we have who can take a decent corner kick (Keaghan is ok too), so really annoying he didn't get to take any in the Motherwell game when he came on.

Agree with you on McMillan, can't say I remember him letting us down whenever he's played, sure his natural position was a CB, but has played on both sides of the pitch as a FB, and done well for us. So as you say, why not give him a run of games starting there, i'd play him at RB and ATS at LB just now.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Being honest the best offensive right back performance I’ve seen from any of the current options was from Lawson, although he did have a couple of defensive blunders. If Mcmillian offers the best overall in terms of defensive and offensive qualities then give him the spot and stick with him, give him a chance to make the position his own
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Yeah I mentioned that on an earlier post on here, that Lawson had a decent spell at RB last season. Before that he always looked better playing in midfield for us, but his natural, and preferred position is RB. Think he's still injured just now though.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree with you, I’d play McMillan at RB and ATS at LB, although at times to me ATS, he seems to “flatter to deceive”, there are games like last season at home against Motherwell when we beat them 1-0 going on 4/5-0 when he looked great rampaging down the wing, taking the opposition fullback on, putting in good quality, dangerous balls into the box. Then there are other games where he doesn’t offer much in the opposition half?
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Devlin was pretty decent before he got injured last season, playing as RB in a back 4... he was going past opposition left back with ease & getting in decent crosses or having a shot (Usually off target). We rarely capitalised on his efforts though.

Lawson is not particularly good defensively which is why he might have been put into a midfield role...similar to my suggestion for Ambrose, play him in midfield & you still have a chance to cover for any errors. Lawson’s speed however makes him a potential threat going forward, where he often forgets to track back quickly, thus emphasising his lack of defensive qualities.

RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Rumours of Dykes being linked with QPR. If we can get a sizeable transfer fee for him, say £1.5 million. I’d be straight up to Ross County and put in a bid of 1/2 million - £750,000 for Ross Stewart.

Troy likes this post

Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:22 pm

I actually dont recall Devlin being "decent" at all last season.

True he was a good string tackler and used to push forward but persistantly was too slow tracking back; leaving gaps and then shouting at the rest of the defence.

Looks like his injury hasn't changed that one iota. Give me McMillan; or Lawson anyday.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm

With whatever we are offered, does anyone think Gary will be afforded any of that to find a replacement for Dykes.Get real Livi fans. Weve always been a selling club.Will help us to survive yes.And if neccsesery help us do well in the Championship if it comes to that.Early days but many Livi fans know what im talking about.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 pm

I think we’ll really struggle without Dykes or a suitable replacement like Ross Stewart, none of our other options can lead the line, be a focal point.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Troy wrote:With whatever we are offered, does anyone think Gary will be afforded any of that to find a replacement for Dykes.Get real Livi fans. Weve always been a selling club.Will help us to survive yes.And if neccsesery help us do well in the Championship if it comes to that.Early days but many Livi fans know what im talking about.

I think with Ross Stewart, assuming we lose Dykes, he could be the potential difference with staying in the SPFL and going down, and the financial ramifications that brings. I also think that another good season or two in the SPFL for Stewart and you’ll be getting bids of £1 million+ for him. So it’s up to the board. They talk about wanting Livingston to be an established SPFL side, I think they’ll need to show a little ambition to do so when Dykes leaves. It would also be a bonus that it would weaken Ross County if we could sign Stewart.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 pm

We don't know that though, Poplatnik hasn't had a game to see if he can or can't lead the line, he looks decent in the little I've seen of him though.

Don't forget Dolly was our only attacking player leading the line for months when Hardy was out injured, and we were doing alright. We've never been about just one player in this new era Livi, it's about the team/squad, and everyone chipping in with goals and helping out.

We aren't going to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds for a player anyway, that's for sure, we've done well enough targeting players like Dykes before he was worth big bucks, Lawless, Pittman, Halkett, Gallagher, and even experienced guys like Marv and Efe without spending big money on transfer fees.

Not sure i'd pay attention to the interest in Dykes before our game tomorrow, the press just love spreading this shit to help Sevco try and unsettle players. We've had rumours and stories all pre season though, even some saying we knocked back 1.2 million for him, and then all the links to him going to Sevco, yet Holt says there has been no interest/offers from Sevco.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 pm

RScot wrote:
    Troy wrote:With whatever we are offered, does anyone think Gary will be afforded any of that to find a replacement for Dykes.Get real Livi fans. Weve always been a selling club.Will help us to survive yes.And if neccsesery help us do well in the Championship if it comes to that.Early days but many Livi fans know what im talking about.

I think with Ross Stewart, assuming we lose Dykes, he could be the potential difference with staying in the SPFL and going down, and the financial ramifications that brings. I also think that another good season or two in the SPFL for Stewart and you’ll be getting bids of £1 million+ for him.  So it’s up to the board. They talk about wanting Livingston to be an established SPFL side, I think they’ll need to show a little ambition to do so when Dykes leaves. It would also be a bonus that it would weaken Ross County if we could sign Stewart.

All sound and reasoned logic, but I can't see us doing it, with this pandemic and the uncertainty surrounding us having fans back at games, any money we get will be stuck in the bank for making sure the club survives the next year or two. Got soft loans from directors and former owners to pay off too, that have gradually been reduced.
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:22 pm

I know we have some debt, although I don’t know the exact financial position of the club, but depending on how much we get for Dykes, it maybe possible to clear the debts and buy Stewart.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Would County be prepared to sell Stewart for a fee we could afford? I thought they had some mega rich owner now?
    RScot

Post by RScot Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Durnford wrote:Would County be prepared to sell Stewart for a fee we could afford? I thought they had some mega rich owner now?

I heard that too. I know Hibs were looking at him and I think some initial discussions on transfer fee was talked about, but they went for Nisbett since. I think an initial bid of £500,000 would be hard for them to turn down, especially if the player becomes unsettled. He is from the Central Belt, maybe he’d jump at the chance to return, just me speculating though. Maybe he likes life in the Highlands? Plus we would play him through the middle as our main focal point, County play him wide left most of the time, I think. Perhaps he’d like the opportunity to play through the middle with us?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm

I don't think we could match his wages at County either, Josh Mullin went there when they were relegated to the Championship* the season we got promoted to the top flight, he'll be on bigger wages at County. So as well as having to spend a big lump of money to buy him, we'd have to break our budget on players wages, a dangerous road to head down.

Sal was from the lower leagues, and Poplatnik another Country, that looks the more likely market for Livi getting players, us and Accies are the two smallest wage budgets in the Premiership, we aren't going to another Premiership club to try and get a player from them, not unless it's like Halkett, Kelly, Marv, Holt, where they aren't getting into the first team and just want regular first team football, and are happy to take wage cuts.

*I read their player budget in the Championship was 2M, ours was 250K the season we won the play offs, they're way out of our financial league, being supported by a sugar daddy.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Who was the next top goal scorer after Shankland & Nisbet in last seasons 2nd tier?
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Bertie Bassett wrote:Who was the next top goal scorer after Shankland & Nisbet in last seasons 2nd tier?

Alan Forrest. lol!

Then Goodwillie affraid on 20 in L1

Or McManus at Falkirk on 19 in L1, but he's just signed a 2 year deal for Dunfermline.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:13 pm

I noticed Dunfermline was scooping up the best of the out of contract players in the Championship and League one. They signed Kevin O'Hara from Alloa too.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 pm

So it was, I remember now that you mention it... Doubt Goodwillie has the top flight in him anymore.
    Troy

Post by Troy Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:14 am

Goodwillie not for me.Think We're going to have to go down the loan move route here.Possibly someone down south who knows how to put the ball away.Not sure how much if anything Gary will get,but surely we can afford to get someone decent in to help us up front this season.Have already said im not enamoured with what weve got at the moment.Waiting with bated breath.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:41 pm