The Livi Room

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
orco
Auld Nick
Hoochthedrummer
Durnford
Liviforever
forzalfc
10 posters

LFC Squad - 2020-21

Liviforever
    Liviforever

LFC Squad - 2020-21 - Page 9 Empty Re: LFC Squad - 2020-21

Post by Liviforever Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:05 am

It'll be funny if Tiffs ends up being our top goal scorer this season, meaning we had a goal scoring striker already. Laughing

Hoping Tiffs pushes on this season and scores a barrel load, was wanting Lars playing alongside him but if JET steps up into the team then hopefully him and Tiffs play together. He looks as if he could cause defenders all sorts of trouble, which will work well for Tiffs running into spaces. He laid off a few decent balls in the vid of him in Thailand, Pitts could thrive playing off him too.
    Troy

Post by Troy Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:45 am

Yeh,as i said in an earlier post,i was hoping for backup to the three strikers we had left and we got it.Its up to the management as to how we play Jay,and with whome.Really think the outlook is more promising with the options we now have,although having said that Jay wont have come here to sit on the bench and thus will be interesting to see the various combinations at our disposal now.🦁🛫👍
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:16 am

Having watch the Thailand 2019 film; he seemed a bit lardy; seemed to be carrying some excess weight. However, having watch the interview and seen the stills, he certainly seems to have slimmed down. Hopefully the same goes for improving his fitness.

I wonder where this leaves Poplatnik now?
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:19 am

Liviforever wrote:Some of Dykes bookings were needles and silly things though, pushing an opposition player as he tried to take a quick free kick, niggly fouls, generally winding folk up in front of the ref etc.

Yes; you're right L4E; I'd forgotten how many of Dykes bookings were simply unavoidable (or strategic if you prefer i.e. deliberately slowing the game down).

Not sure I remember any that were deliberately out to injure someone (including the two he got in that Sevco game where he got sent off).
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 am

Must admit I liked that wee wry smile when Jay was asked if he was concerned about the physical aspect of the Scottish game - could be very interesting.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm

Durnford wrote:Must admit I liked that wee wry smile when Jay was asked if he was concerned about the physical aspect of the Scottish game - could be very interesting.

Like the way he bodied a defender out of the way first before taking a shot inside the box to score in one of his vids. He doesn't just bring a bit of a physical presence though, looks very skilful on the ball, and had a good pass on him too, for assists.

Bristol City fans are well impressed with him from his time there anyway, here's one of their fans' tweets.

Graham Clapp
    @gmc_63
    Love to see him absolutely tear it up. If he keeps his focus he is an unbelievably talented footballer, as skilful as anyone, a creator of chances & a brilliant finisher. Most flair players are lightweight, but JET is built like an American footballer without the padding..

A few years ago since he played for them, but all sounds very promising for us, will depend on his attitude but we've a very good dressing room and work environment at the club to bring the best out of him.

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:37 pm

I think he’s a very decent signing & probably more of a fit than Stokes would have been.

Troy

Post by Troy Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Well wel never know Bertie.But agree. Jet has the makings of a very good aquisition for us if his heads in the right place.Hel get great service from our midfield and wingers and hopefully ruffle up a few defences 👍
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:55 pm

With Holt saying we're still on the look out for more signings if they become available, and Josh Mullin just been released from Ross County, what are the chances?

The Postman on the right and Forrest on the left would be some lethal wingers.
    Troy

Post by Troy Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:10 pm

I genuinely think that Josh has had his time at Livi. Rumoured to either heading to Poland on twitter or back to the central belt, so you never know. Not sure if he'd want to be a first pick or sqaud addition.I wish him well.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Would finally have someone that could take decent corners and free kicks too, we're absolute brutal at set pieces this season, a lot of that is from poor dead ball deliveries. Only other player that could take them is Souda, but he isn't getting near the first team match squad. We'd be as well punting Souda and bringing in Josh.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Welcome back Josh Mullin, think he'll do well playing as a winger this time, as like Lawless, he'll thrive playing further forward and getting balls into the box for Pittman to bundle home.

Giving him a one season deal with option for another 2 is good for bit of business, not much risk for us if he doesn't perform well, however i think he will.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Hope your right L/F.Would be great if he recovered the form like when he was last here.His drive and determined attitude will stand him in good stead i feel.Gary and Davie seem to think so.Didnt think it would happen TBF but admit good deal all round,and good to see Pitts making his future with the club.Congratulations to both.Great news.🦁
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Yeah you never know if a player will be as good 2nd time around, but i think it's a position we're crying out for to be filled, and he's perfect for the job. Taking the shackles off him letting him go forward more, like we did with Lawless in his 2nd season, and having Devlin backing him up doing overlaps down the wing, it really could be exciting to watch. And with Serrano and Forrest on the other wing, hawd me back from being over zealous and salivating with excitement.

With us playing a back 4 and having Marv and Holt as DM's, it leaves us with more freedom to let our wingers attack, and hitting the bye line. We obv can't  get away with that against everyone, and will have to rotate the squad accordingly, for a player like Robbo to come into the team instead, giving us more energy to press defenders and stifle the opposition, but against the likes of St Mirren, Accies, St Johstone, Ross County, and Utd, i think we can be a bit more attack minded.
    Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:48 pm

Yeah, on the whole glad he’s back, was disappointed that he left but he did well enough to win the division & the wee team cup (whatever it’s called these days) double.

Didn’t think he caused us much bother when we played them but I think he was their best player in one of the games.
    Troy

Post by Troy Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:18 pm

Shame to see Aymen Souda leave.Guess it was on the cards.Obviously not in Gary,s plans, but I hope he finds another club. He,l do a job for someone if he screws the nut.Thank you Aymen and good luck for your future. 💛 🦁

Liviforever likes this post

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:37 pm

Disappointed as I honestly don’t think he got a real chance to shine. It didn’t matter how well he played he was always subbed off & often dropped or remained an unused sub when he could have brought something different. I honestly don’t think the management team were too keen on his style. They criticised his work ethic & his lack of defensive discipline but I saw games where he tracked back & tackled successfully... guess what? He got subbed.

Maybe there were things going on behind the scenes but as we don’t know we can only go by what we saw on the pitch & while he had his off days, I always appreciated his efforts.

So best wishes Aymen & thanks for being part of the pride for a while.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:43 am

Liviforever wrote:Yeah you never know if a player will be as good 2nd time around, but i think it's a position we're crying out for to be filled, and he's perfect for the job. Taking the shackles off him letting him go forward more, like we did with Lawless in his 2nd season, and having Devlin backing him up doing overlaps down the wing, it really could be exciting to watch. And with Serrano and Forrest on the other wing, hawd me back from being over zealous and salivating with excitement.

With us playing a back 4 and having Marv and Holt as DM's, it leaves us with more freedom to let our wingers attack, and hitting the bye line. We obv can't  get away with that against everyone, and will have to rotate the squad accordingly, for a player like Robbo to come into the team instead, giving us more energy to press defenders and stifle the opposition, but against the likes of St Mirren, Accies, St Johstone, Ross County, and Utd, i think we can be a bit more attack minded.

Not sure dropping a forward (albeit Robinson playing as a forward) for a winger can be described as being more attack minded.

He did pretty well playing for us in the championship when we played three at the back hence had the one spare place going; and he linked up pretty well with Gallagher.

I think whether or not he plays will really depend on the opposition; there are some sides where three at the back will ultimately work - actually remembering Fridays match against Dundee I think we could probably have played two at the back (and often did in practice) but its unlikely they'll be so bad again.

On his day his teaming up with Robinson and Pittman could be absolutely enthralling.

EDIT - don't get me wrong; I'm happy to see Josh back; just worry about the level of expectations being place on him.

Last edited by Durnford on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:Disappointed as I honestly don’t think he got a real chance to shine. It didn’t matter how well he played he was always subbed off & often dropped or remained an unused sub when he could have brought something different. I honestly don’t think the management team were too keen on his style. They criticised his work ethic & his lack of defensive discipline but I saw games where he tracked back & tackled successfully... guess what? He got subbed.

Maybe there were things going on behind the scenes but as we don’t know we can only go by what we saw on the pitch & while he had his off days, I always appreciated his efforts.

So best wishes Aymen & thanks for being part of the pride for a while.

Its a shame but at the end of the day probably a sign of the times. One of the reasons given by Josh Mullin wanting to terminate his contract with Ross County was that he'd been unable to visit his family in the central belt for some time with the restrictions etc.. Rumours are that he took quite a pay-cut to come back down here but in the present circumstances some things are more important.

Souda has said he's been unable to get back to visit his family in France for months; and, even if he did, I assume he'd be required to self isolate for a few weeks on his return.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 am

Changing the subject slightly I really cannot understand why no club, to my limited knowledge, has ever come in with an offer for Scott Pittman. For my money he's been the most consistently excellent player over the past 4 (?) years.
    orco
    orco

Post by orco Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:04 am

Durnford wrote:Changing the subject slightly I really cannot understand why no club, to my limited knowledge, has ever come in with an offer for Scott Pittman. For my money he's been the most consistently excellent player over the past 4 (?) years.
    Apparently Aberdeen did but were unwilling to meet the price we wanted. Their loss. 😏
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Durnford wrote:Changing the subject slightly I really cannot understand why no club, to my limited knowledge, has ever come in with an offer for Scott Pittman. For my money he's been the most consistently excellent player over the past 4 (?) years.

orco wrote:
    Apparently Aberdeen did but were unwilling to meet the price we wanted. Their loss. 😏

Yeah Aberdeen tried to sign him twice, a half hearted attempt in the Jan window then a more serious effort in the Summer one. After the Jan one i think that was when we gave him an extended contract though, and they'd have had to up their bid with some serious dosh. Both times Pittman wasn't interested in moving, he's a local lad and happy to stay at Livi.

Remember his dad was trying to tell him to hold off a bit to consider his options but Scotty just signed an extension straight away without any hesitation. He's our Paul Scholes, really low maintenance, just quietly goes about his business with no off field dramas, and is a Lion on the pitch, always giving his all. Never gets the plaudits or attention the likes of Dykes, Halkett, Gallagher, Marv, Guthrie etc get, but will be first on the team sheet every week, the rudder of ship Livi.
    Liviforever
    Liviforever

Post by Liviforever Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Durnford wrote:
    Liviforever wrote:Yeah you never know if a player will be as good 2nd time around, but i think it's a position we're crying out for to be filled, and he's perfect for the job. Taking the shackles off him letting him go forward more, like we did with Lawless in his 2nd season, and having Devlin backing him up doing overlaps down the wing, it really could be exciting to watch. And with Serrano and Forrest on the other wing, hawd me back from being over zealous and salivating with excitement.

Not sure dropping a forward (albeit Robinson playing as a forward) for a winger can be described as being more attack minded.

He did pretty well playing for us in the championship when we played three at the back hence had the one spare place going; and he linked up pretty well with Gallagher.

I think whether or not he plays will really depend on the opposition; there are some sides where three at the back will ultimately work - actually remembering Fridays match against Dundee I think we could probably have played two at the back (and often did in practice) but its unlikely they'll be so bad again.

On his day his teaming up with Robinson and Pittman could be absolutely enthralling.

EDIT - don't get me wrong; I'm happy to see Josh back; just worry about the level of expectations being place on him.

With all the will in the world Robbo isn't a striker/forward, he's an attacking midfielder that gets played as a forward sometimes, when we don't have one available, same as Dolly did. And he isn't as direct as Mullin in his play, as i said, he's more akin to Pittman, high energy levels that gets stuck in and is good at nicking the ball off defenders. Ideal when playing top 4 teams that will dominate play more against us and we need players to buzz about putting in tackles and pressing the opposition players.

Not even sure i'd describe Tiffoney as a striker, but he's improved a good bit, and looks like he could develop into one, certainly looks more like one than Robbo nowadays.
    Durnford

Post by Durnford Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Liviforever wrote:With all the will in the world Robbo isn't a striker/forward, he's an attacking midfielder that gets played as a forward sometimes, when we don't have one available, same as Dolly did. And he isn't as direct as Mullin in his play, as i said, he's more akin to Pittman, high energy levels that gets stuck in and is good at nicking the ball off defenders. Ideal when playing top 4 teams that will dominate play more against us and we need players to buzz about putting in tackles and pressing the opposition players.

Not even sure i'd describe Tiffoney as a striker, but he's improved a good bit, and looks like he could develop into one, certainly looks more like one than Robbo nowadays.

I agree that Robinson isnt really a striker (or forward for that matter) but that more or less where he's been playing of late. If he was dropped I'd prefer one of our recognised strikers to be given a start.

With Tiffoney I always thought of him as more of a attacking winger; a position he starred in that game at Motherwell. However, more recently, he has shown himself more than adept at being the front terrier getting in there and terrifying defences.

Anyway for all my uncertainty of Josh Mullins I've watch his goal against Dundee United in the playoffs - Some things never get old!!!!

Auld Nick
    Auld Nick

Post by Auld Nick Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Good second debut for Mullin bagging 2 tonight

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm